• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

speculawyer said:
Nor are the Wii only titles like Red Steel or games that started on the Wii like Rayman's Rabbids. (Which is a decent game.)

What?

Dig up the February NPD thread. I distinctly remember the 4th month of Rayman outselling Virtua Fighter 5, to say nothing of LTD which has to be over 300k in the US.

They've both also been top-selling Wii titles in the UK.

Jammy

Banned
speculawyer said:
Nor are the Wii only titles like Red Steel or games that started on the Wii like Rayman's Rabbids. (Which is a decent game.)

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or are just plain dumb.

Both Red Steel and Rayman: RR sold well in both the U.S. and Europe. In fact, both have sold over 300,000 in just the U.S. alone, which is more than any third party PS3 game in the territory has done. Even Madden for Wii has sold the same amount as its PS3 version, which is pretty much the only game PS3 owners are buying besides Resistance.

To make an even more direct comparison, Sonic and the Secret Rings sold more than 80,000 in a little over a week, while Virtua Fighter 5 barely sold over 50,000 (which is also around what Sonic PS3 has sold in two months on the market).

And then there's games like Trauma Center: SO which will definitely be nearing 200,000 soon in the U.S. alone. You might not think the number is that good, but the original only sold like 125,000 on DS and this is simply a "Wii-make."

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
speculawyer said:
They do ok on Nintendo handhelds . . . not so good on Nintendo consoles.
Not really sure what you're basing that on, with the exception of a few games not many 3rd party software didn't really do that well on the GBA in Japan.

Mirimar

angelfly said:
Nice to see Layton going strong. I hope its success leads to a stateside release.

Is there any hope for a dual language voice track or is the flash mem in the cartridge too small for that? I cannot stand english voice acting...so much is lost in translation.

linsivvi

speculawyer said:

Every freaking week, I swear, every freaking week. :lol

And so it continues....the story of the reigning Nintendo dynasty at the top of the Japanese video game realms. With Sony trying to scramble it's modern weapons of HD to it's armies but can't due to "component shortages" and due to blacksmiths charging high prices on them. MS on the other hand, still has to wade out of the shores from it's western galleons...they may have brough the rifles but there's a cliff in front of them even if they do manage to get on shore.

haircut

Wyndstryker said:
And so it continues....the story of the reigning Nintendo dynasty at the top of the Japanese video game realms. With Sony trying to scramble it's modern weapons of HD to it's armies but can't due to "component shortages" and due to blacksmiths charging high prices on them. MS on the other hand, still has to wade out of the shores from it's western galleons...they may have brough the rifles but there's a cliff in front of them even if they do manage to get on shore.
These numbers have gotten so predictable we're writing fanfic to spice things up.

Eteric Rice

Despite not being a good game, Red Steel seems to have done good enough to warrent a Red Steel 2. I expect RS2 to be a lot better than the original, since they won't be in a big rush to get it out there.

What really surprises me is the ratings on Gamestop. I usually go here to see what the more casual gamers think of certain games. Check this out.

http://www.gamestop.com/ReadReviews.asp?product_id=230040

http://www.gamestop.com/ReadReviews.asp?product_id=230065

Surprised the piss outta me. : /

RaidenZR

Does Japan have a typical 'New Releases' day sometime during the week? Similar to how the US usually sees them on Tuesday/Wednesday?

Raw64life

RaidenZR said:
Does Japan have a typical 'New Releases' day sometime during the week? Similar to how the US usually sees them on Tuesday/Wednesday?

Tuesday/Wednesday - US

Thursday/Friday - Japan

RaidenZR said:

Thursdays, apparently (beaten). I could easily include the actual date next to each title, but it'd get to be highly redundant.

KINGMOKU

jj984jj said:
We need an updated Mario chart. moku, where are ya?
WOW.

I looked, and thought, "why bother? It's stuck at #3 all-time for awhile;

DONEMARIOCHART.jpg

Boy was I wrong. Mario is now only behind the original SMB;

mariomovedup.jpg

ALL HAIL THE KING BABY.

RaidenZR

moku said:

This is Japan only, right? Is the a worldwide version? And it's kinda weird that Super Mario RPG is on there, but not the Paper Mario games. Will we be counting Super Paper Mario in the future?

KINGMOKU

Anyone have totals on Zelda Wii+Zelda Gamecube? I'm going to update the Zelda chart, and combine the two. If you only have Zelda Wii numbers, thats fine as well. I just need the grand total if you have it.

KINGMOKU

RaidenZR said:
This is Japan only, right? Is the a worldwide version?
:lol

Yeah, thats Japan only. If it was worldwide, the numbes would be just crazy as hell looking. SMB would be at 40+million, Mario64 at 10+million, e.t.c.

I could do one of those, but I would need numbers for all those games, from everywere, and good luck with that.

RaidenZR

moku said:

Yeah, thats Japan only. If it was worldwide, the numbes would be just crazy as hell looking. SMB would be at 40+million, Mario64 at 10+million, e.t.c.

I could do one of those, but I would need numbers for all those games, from everywere, and good luck with that.

True. I wasn't thinking.

Would be an awesome weekend project though.

Saitou

Banned
The Sphinx said:
Still a long, hard trek up to SMB. Damn impressive.
If it doesn't happen, I expect it to at least creep up within a few hundred thousand.

Believe.

Editzors: Is it just me, or does that chart have an awful lot of numbers ending in multiples of 250?!

speculawyer said:
They do ok on Nintendo handhelds . . . not so good on Nintendo consoles.
They did back when Nintendo's consoles weren't a quarter of the market or less.
Mrbob said:
I'm surprised Super Mario 64 is only near the middle of the pack for mario game sales in Japan.
I'm surprised it's that high, given N64 topped off around 5 million.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
In about 2 years the DS and Wii games will be split pretty evenly across the top 50. Remember DS 3rd party games sold like crap the first year and half also because 3rd parties were throwin mostly shovelware onto it. Historically GBA portable games sold much much less than console games save for Pokemon and only with the DS have we seen Portable games not only start to sell on par with console games but exceed console game sales by over a million units and it continues to rise.

The potential for profit on DS is massive since before, portable game investments use to be relative to how little games use to sell on average. Now potential software sales of a quality DS game could see profit margins many times that of which they were use to achieving on the GBA or any other console for that matter. Smaller development costs + exceedingly huge profit margins = extremely happy publishers.

The market leader will always end up getting the best 3rd party support in the end even two gamecubes duck-taped together. When you have 10's of millions of units lead on the closest competitor even the most stubborn 3rd parties are gonna want a piece of the bigger pie. They'd rather have 10% of a much larger pie than 16% of a smaller one.

KINGMOKU

Saitou said:
If it doesn't happen, I expect it to at least creep up within a few hundred thousand.

Believe.

Editzors: Is it just me, or does that chart have an awful lot of numbers ending in multiples of 250?!
Most of the numbers are from reputable number sites. I used Magic-box for the million sellers, people here for some others, and well, a few from, some, well, "other" sites.

Like I have said previously, If I can nail down hard numbers, I would change some of them in a heartbeat.

All the numbers though are within a tolarable %. Any of the games over 1million are very accurate. None of the numbers would change enough to make the list off, or have games change places, wich is what I was going for.

Super Mario64DS would have to just CRAWL over its nearest rival at this rate.

The places are set in stone, even NSMB I think. It would take many moons for it to catch SMB.

The real excitment starts when I have to add SPM to the list :D

CorwinB

Wyndstryker said:
With Sony trying to scramble it's modern weapons of HD to it's armies but can't due to "component shortages" and due to blacksmiths charging high prices on them.

"Demand" is a component, now ? :)

jj984jj

Mirimar said:
What is the LTD?
Almost 220k.

verplant said:
Sony has unpdated the offical PS3 page... http://www.jp.playstation.com/software/ps3/index.html

Now... this is the best Lineup I've ever seen.

1 game in april
0 games in may
1 game in june (famitsu told us, there will be more)
... an finaly Everybodys Golf 5 in july.
Yup 2 games between now and June, one coming out this week and another on the first of April.

Edit: Actually I forgot EA confirmed Madden will come on on PS3 during April, Sony am desperate.

lupin23rd

Well it's not much better (especially considering it's Japan so 2 and 3 won't sell) but the following releases were posted in the Japanese Mag News thread:

Release dates:
PS3
6/14 Ninja Gaiden Sigma
6/28 Marvel Ultimate Alliance
6/29 Rainbow Six Vegas
7/?? Wangan Midnight

m

Cheesemeister! Thanks for adding the titles of the next week! :)

Eteric Rice said:
What really surprises me is the ratings on Gamestop. I usually go here to see what the more casual gamers think of certain games. Check this out.

http://www.gamestop.com/ReadReviews.asp?product_id=230065

Surprised the piss outta me. : /

At least for Godfather, the ratings seem to be well-deserved, based on hands-on impressions from people who have tried it out. Apparently the Wii version is the best one available due to the motion-control beat-em-up and strangling, and EA seems to have done a very good polished job on the title.

splattergnome said:
Cheesemeister! Thanks for adding the titles of the next week! :)

At least for Godfather, the ratings seem to be well-deserved, based on hands-on impressions from people who have tried it out. Apparently the Wii version is the best one available due to the motion-control beat-em-up and strangling, and EA seems to have done a very good polished job on the title.

Blazing angels have been fun so far for me. Love flying around with the nunchuck as a flightstick. So relaxing. I have not had much time to play yet though and is only on mission two. But I like what I see sofar.

jj984jj

Alkaliine said:
Can anyone post the upcoming Wii games in Japan. I'm pretty BBA and SPM are coming. Anything else of signficance?
For Wii:
04/05 Barnyard
04/19 Furu Furu Park
Super Paper Mario
04/26 One Piece Unlimited Adventure
The Dog Island
Big Brain Academy
05/17 Meitantei Conan
05/24 Fist of the North Star Pachi-Slot Pachinko
06/07 Pirates of the Caribbean
06/21 Hajime no Ippo Revolution

Anybody else remember that great thread where those people were coming out of the woodwork to say that NSMB would barely break half a million, maybe, because the Mario series was dead?

moku said:

You think you could do a N.A.(U.S.) version?

Top Bottom