• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

Spiegel said:
Joshua can you do a PSP vs PS2 comparison?
I've got so many sorts of comparison things tell me if you meant a completely different one (like "PSP at X weeks is like PS2 at Y weeks"), but here's
PS2 vs PSP, weekly sales from launches through week 200, Famitsu
PS2 vs PSP, cumulative sales from launches through week 200, Famitsu

That last one actually makes things look much more impressive than I'd realized; PSP hardware is about 70% of what PS2 hardware was at the time. Being around at the same time as two other hardwares which have been selling faster than PS2 helps hide that.

Saitou said:
When did Shiren ever do 'good'?
N64 Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai Shiren Shiro! - 283.991
Basically, 2nd best seller from a 3rd party ever on N64, second and the latest entry in the series.

NDS Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 195.052
Port/remake of the first entry which appeared on SNES.

Are we putting up excuses already?

Rock_Man

JoshuaJSlone said:
Rock_Man, your graphs are great, but they get me all... paredoliac. I see all sorts of faces in there!

How can I help you? :)

Actually, I think the next graph, with all systems, will make it much worse. I will post it later tonight just for fun.

justjohn said:
first day sales:

PS2 Orochi Musou Maou Sairin - 140,000
I don't know whats worse here for Koei, that the Orochi Musou sequel barely sells half the first one numbers last year (290k first day) or that it would be really unlikely to see it selling more, or even just on par, on any other system.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I don't know whats worse here for Koei, that the Orochi Musou sequel barely sells half the first one numbers last year (290k first day) or that it would be really unlikely to see it selling more, or even just on par, on any other system.
Yeah, it got mentioned a few times the last weeks, Koei haven't really positioned themselves well for this gen. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next two or so years.

Avrum said:
Here's to hoping E3 shows that as well. Some projects from third parties, both WiiWare and retail have been impressive though Nintendo and a few other larger publishers have been rather silent...

I'm interested overall in Retro's Studios next project.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
TheBranca18 said:
When in question, attack the poster. :)
2ng7rlj.png

Rolf NB

Phife Dawg said:
Yeah, it got mentioned a few times the last weeks, Koei haven't really positioned themselves well for this gen. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next two or so years.
If you look at their PS3 and XBox 360 games, they seem to be operating on very low budgets (art, levels, everything), so maybe that's just their way of positioning themselves. Low sales after low expenses = still good business.

Busaiku

Hmm, 2 days numbers for SO2 doesn't make it sound as great, as SO1's 80k was only for 1 day.
Still, SO1 did have the benefit of the near-holiday season (numbers were up in general).
Are there still no shipment numbers for it? After all, relative to its shipment SO1 was kinda weak (at about 40% for 1st day), so I think SO2 may have gone through more of the shipment (assuming SE took the hint and shipped less).

Saitou

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
N64 Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren 2 - Oni Shuurai Shiren Shiro! - 283.991
Basically, 2nd best seller from a 3rd party ever on N64, second and the latest entry in the series.

NDS Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer 195.052
Port/remake of the first entry which appeared on SNES.

Are we putting up excuses already?
It was a legitimate question, I had no idea how it had sold.

I really don't see Shiren 3 doing 280k, though =/

bcn-ron said:
If you look at their PS3 and XBox 360 games, they seem to be operating on very low budgets (art, levels, everything), so maybe that's just their way of positioning themselves. Low sales after low expenses = still good business.
Their games have always looked bad in comparisson to basically everything else on the respective plattforms. I hope you aren't suggesting that Koei is spending less money on PS3/360 games than they did on PS2 games. With bigger budgets, lower sales and nowhere to go it'll be interesting to see what the future holds for them.

icecream said:
It's Aruji.

I don't think this would be the type of game that sells in the states.

The Code Geass DS game might come out over here, but there's no chance in hell that the PSP/PS2 graphic adventure title would ever get localized.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
he'd just be GraphGuy40699.

I can't help but feel that I would qualify as GraphGuy40699. :/ For the record, pretty much all of the graphs I do are either by request or because I want to see the graph and then decide to share in case someone else would find it interesting, too.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

The latter.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
So are there any DS system sellers scheduled for this year? if not, I think we are going to get a redesign soon (I hope so).

donny2112

I hear there's some Dragon Warrior game coming out. However, that series never did that well in the U.S., so I don't see why it'd be any different in Japan.

DKnight said:
So are there any DS system sellers scheduled for this year? if not, I think we are going to get a redesign soon (I hope so).

Dragon Quest IX?

donny2112 said:
I hear there's some Dragon Warrior game coming out. However, that series never did that well in the U.S., so I don't see why it'd be any different in Japan.

:lol Nice answer.

Bebpo

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Is it really a sequel? Everything about it seems like an add-on like XL (not many new characters, no "II" in the title, just new subtitle, very soon after the original) except at full price. Don't the add-ons sell much less than the main games?

Either way, considering how little it must have cost to make the additions, they're probably rolling in money even with 200k sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cw_sasuke said:
man this guy is such a ps3 fanboi unbelievable :lol
ps3 is selling below than 15k per week and he claims 2.8 Mio just this year ?

From Nov. 06 to March 08 PS3 is at 1.988M... :lol :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
schuelma said:
From Nov. 06 to March 08 PS3 is at 1.988M... :lol :lol

watch wii fit killin those ps3 hardware sales....

wii fit vs. ps3 will be a nice fight :)

lopaz

Banned
In Japan PSP is officially doing well. It's been selling strongly for so long and getting quite a few software hits, no-one can claim it's a short term boost any more.

Rock_Man

famitsu-all-080323.png

Ok, this graph contains a lot of information so I'll help you draw some conclusions.

1. DS has lost significant market share, both in software and hardware.
2. Xb360 has not.
3. PS3 software sales were almost zero in May 2007. It can't get worse in 2008, can it?
4. There will be much less colors in this chart in 9 months with 2.8 million more PS3s sold.

beef3483

Avrum said:
Here's to hoping E3 shows that as well. Some projects from third parties, both WiiWare and retail have been impressive though Nintendo and a few other larger publishers have been rather silent...

You talk as if you know something. Elaborate if you would.

Bebpo

Banned
Rock_Man said:
3. PS3 software sales were almost zero in May 2007. It can't get worse in 2008, can it?

The only game coming out for all of May is Battle Fantasia, a hardcore niche 2d fighter on May 29th which will sell like 50k copies max.

So yeah, I'd expect about the same or worse.

Rock_Man said:
2. Xb360 has not.
4. There will be much less colors in this chart in 9 months with 2.8 million more PS3s sold.
:lol

Specifically 2 & 4. :lol

DKnight said:
Is it confirmed to be released this year?

Nope. Really, the DS will be fine. It's already the best selling system ever in Japan, and there is some good software coming such as the Dragon Quest games, Kingdom Hearts, Inazuma Eleven, Kirby, Layton 3, Sigma Harmonics, Blue Dragon DS, and AWAY: Shuffle. Then we will always get the games from Nintendo like Tetris DS, which was announced and released in a matter of months.

Gaborn

DKnight said:

Without even bothering to drop the price? after only a few years on the market? With 20 million sold in Japan?

Gaborn

lopaz said:
In Japan PSP is officially doing well. It's been selling strongly for so long and getting quite a few software hits, no-one can claim it's a short term boost any more.

It's not a short term boost. It's just a boost that would've helped them a lot more 2 years ago.

Edit: oops sorry, I wasn't paying attention, didn't realize it was the same thread.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stopsign said:
Nope. Really, the DS will be fine. It's already the best selling system ever in Japan, and there is some good software coming such as the Dragon Quest games, Kingdom Hearts, Inazuma Eleven, Kirby, Layton 3, Sigma Harmonics, Blue Dragon DS, and AWAY: Shuffle.

Plus Crosswords, Wander Donkey, Fire Emblem, and the releasing-soon We Are Fossil Holders from Nintendo, Front Mission 2089, potentially Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days although not likely, Knights in the Nightmare, Metal Slug 7, The Tower, Valkyrie Profile DS...

Then we will always get the games from Nintendo like Tetris DS, which was announced and released in a matter of months.

They do that with an awful lot of their games.

Doing a brief scan through their recent releases:
- We Are Fossil Holders -- announced two months ago
- Pokemon Ranger 2 -- announced about three months before release
- Beautiful Letter Training -- not even announced IIRC
- Soma Bringer -- just over five months between announcement and release
- Card Hero DS -- around 3 months
- Mario Party DS -- 6 months

After that I'm a little hazy because I don't maintain a complete list of announcement-release gaps anywhere, but I do know a fair few by memory:
- Slide Adventure Mag Kid (~2 months), Facening (~2 months)
- Kurikin Nano Island Story, Panel de Pon DS, Ouendan 2 (~2-3 months)

Notable exceptions to the rule
- Mario&Sonic; Announced way far in advance.
- ASH :lol :lol :lol development hell.
- Zelda

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Stopsign said:
Nope. Really, the DS will be fine. It's already the best selling system ever in Japan, and there is some good software coming such as the Dragon Quest games, Kingdom Hearts, Inazuma Eleven, Kirby, Layton 3, Sigma Harmonics, Blue Dragon DS, and AWAY: Shuffle. Then we will always get the games from Nintendo like Tetris DS, which was announced and released in a matter of months.
I'm sure it will do fine, it is doing damn fine, I'm just wondering if Nintendo is going to announce the redesign soon to boost sales to "unbelievable" levels again. I do not follow sales much, so I don't know how much did the fat DS did and how was doing when the Lite was announced, anybody knows the details?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DKnight said:
I'm sure it will do fine, it is doing damn fine, I'm just wondering if Nintendo is going to announce the redesign soon to boost sales to "unbelievable" levels again.

If someone had said 5 years ago that a system would be selling 50k-90k every week after having already sold 23 million units over a four year period...

... that would be unbelievable.

DKnight said:
I'm sure it will do fine, it is doing damn fine, I'm just wondering if Nintendo is going to announce the redesign soon to boost sales to "unbelievable" levels again. I do not follow sales much, so I don't know how much did the fat DS did and how was doing when the Lite was announced, anybody knows the details?

The DS Phat was coming off a hugely successful holiday season when the Lite was announced, but hadn't sold that much overall.

DKnight said:

A second redesign? Isn't that a bit excessive? I mean, I know they did it with the GBA (GBA -> SP -> Micro) but still...

Anyway, is anyone else under the opinion that the DS has usurped the SNES of the title of Nintendo's best system ever, quality not sales wise, or should we give it another year?

I'm just loving the handheld. I don't remember having this much fun with a Nintendo system since the 16 bit days.

ccbfan

NintendosBooger said:
Anyway, is anyone else under the opinion that the DS has usurped the SNES of the title of Nintendo's best system ever, quality not sales wise, or should we give it another year?

I'm just loving the handheld. I don't remember having this much fun with a Nintendo system since the 16 bit days.

For me its not even close.

IMO there at least ten games on the snes that no DS game can even come close to touching.

Super MArio World
Super Mario World 2 YI
Zelda alltp
SUper MEtroid
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Megaman X
Contra 3
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
EVO
NBA Jam
TMNT 4

Honestly other than Trauma Center I don't think I could put any DS game in my top 25.

Xeke

Banned
Rock_Man said:
famitsu-all-080323.png

Ok, this graph contains a lot of information so I'll help you draw some conclusions.

2. Xb360 has not.

The DS has only lost software market share because of the Wii.

beef3483

ccbfan said:

IMO there at least ten games on the snes that no DS game can even come close to touching.

Super MArio World
Super Mario World 2 YI
Zelda alltp
SUper MEtroid
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Megaman X
Contra 3
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
EVO
NBA Jam
TMNT 4

Honestly other than Trauma Center I don't think I could put any DS game in my top 25.

I have to agree. SNES still is my favorite console ever.

You know... as much information as that crazy graph has squeezed into it I'm sure it could handle a few LTD marketshare lines. :lol

ccbfan said:

Super MArio World
Super Mario World 2 YI
Zelda alltp
SUper MEtroid
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy 4
Final Fantasy 6
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger
Megaman X
Contra 3
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
EVO
NBA Jam
TMNT 4

I can understand, although the games in bold have, IMO, seen respectable answers by the DS.

Top Bottom