• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/24 - 3/30

Ok, here is the full chart:

DSL 52000
PSP 113000
Wii 46000
PS3 11000
PS2 10000
360 2300

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP) : about 553.000 (total about 1.376.000)
2. Musou Orochi: Maou Sairin (PS2) : about 220.000
3. Star Ocean 2 Second Evolution (PSP) : about 90.000
4. Pro Baseball Sprits 5 (PS2) : about 80.000
5. Pokémon Ranger: Batonnage (DS) : about 56.000 (total 400.000)
6. Pro Baseball Sprits 5 (PS3) : about 50.000
7. Yoiko's life on uninhabited island (DS) : about 41.000
8. Wii Fit (Wii) : about 37.000 (total about 1.799.000)
9. Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii) : about 23.000 (total about 1.578.000)
10. Deca Sporta (Wii) : about 18.000 (total about 108.000)

11. Mario Kart DS (DS) : about 18.000 (total about 2.936.000)
12. Sim City DS 2 (DS) : abuot 16.000 (total about 85.000)
13. Wii Sports (Wii) : about 13.000 (total about 2.854.000)
14. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (DS) : about 13.000 (about 61.000)
16. Wii Play (Wii) : about 10.000 (total about 2.272.000)
17. CODE GEASS Lelouch of the Rebellion Lost Colors (PS2) : about 8.300 (total about 38.000)
18. Mugen Kairou (PSP) : about 8.300 (total about 47.000)
19. CODE GEASS Lelouch of the Rebellion Lost Colors (PSP) : about 8.300 (total about 41.000)
20. Mario & Sonic at Beijing Olympics (DS) : about 7.900 (total about 289.000)
21. Mario Party DS (DS) : about 7.800 (total about 1.667.000)
22. New Super Mario Bros. (DS) : about 7.300 (total about 5.137.000)
23. DS Bi-Mozi Training (DS) : about 7.200 (total about 131.000)
24. My Household Budget Diary (DS) : about 7.000 (total about 471.000)
25. Detective Conan: Kieta Hakase to Machigai Sagashi no Tou (DS) : about 6.600
26. Taiko Drum Master DS (DS) : about 5.900 (total about 363.000)
27. Harvest Moon: Sparkling Sun & Friends (DS) : about 5.800 (total about 98.000)
28. Animal Crossing (DS) : about 5.600 (total about 4.631.000)
29. Armored Core for Answer (PS3) : about 5.500 (total about 68.000)

* Kou chan's Easy Cooking Recipe (DS) : about 960
* 1 Nichi 10 Pun de Jyouzu ni Kakeru DS (DS) : about 700

Thx to y-koron @ VGC-Board for the translation.

dionysus

Yaldog
I really hope that with the increasing success of the psp that Sony decides to extend its life beyond what they originally planned. It is a great system and I truly wouldn't mind seeing a 10 year cycle.

botticus

Crazy Monster Hunter, not so crazy SO2.

Taiko Drum Master still chugging along. Am I missing an entry in Joshua's database, or is Taiko DS by far the best-selling game in the series?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wii Fit is now about 200K behind the PS3 and is gaining ground each week

Laguna

Banned
Nice sales for Sim City 2 DS. EA work on an US/EU version -Now!

dionysus said:
I really hope that with the increasing success of the psp that Sony decides to extend its life beyond what they originally planned. It is a great system and I truly wouldn't mind seeing a 10 year cycle.

2003/2004 Sony said that they aim for a 10 year life-span for the PSP...

For this reason, I predict Monster Hunter 2G won't affect PSP hardware sales much.
I know you were joking but there are some obvious differnces between "layton/Gyakuten" and Monster Hunter. The biggest and most notable one is that MH is by far more popular ;)

Holy crap at these PSP and MHP2G sales. It's crazy beyond every limit. 500k second week IS crazy. At this point, the 3-4 millions are not out of question, but let me say that I don't understand the point for an expansion game. Wow and ri-wow.

Defuser said:
I expect PSP2 in PSP's sixth year.
My gut feeling is the fifth year. Late 09/ Early 10. Late 10/ Early 11 just seems a bit too far given the overall picture. I simultaneously can't wait to see what they do for the next one but at the same time worry about the lack of Kutaragi.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Defuser said:
I expect PSP2 in PSP's sixth year.

Considering that the DS2 will likely have Gamecube level graphics, the console could go on for a long time.

Especially once it hits the $100 and $80 price point

Segata Sanshiro said:
My gut feeling is the fifth year. Late 09/ Early 10. Late 10/ Early 11 just seems a bit too far given the overall picture. I simultaneously can't wait to see what they do for the next one but at the same time worry about the lack of Kutaragi.

Ick. If I had my way there'd be no talking of successors for either handheld until 2012 at least.

But, of course, I don't have my way, etc...

Laguna said:
I know you were joking but there are some obvious differnces between "layton/Gyakuten" and Monster Hunter. The biggest and most notable one is that MH is by far more popular ;)
That's what's curious, I think. You (rightly, I think) said DS has less growth potential since it's already grown so much. But Monster Hunter was already the #1 and #2 game on PSP, so one might've thought that fanbase already had the system. My post today was obviously in jest, but no way would I have guessed a month ago that the third Monster Hunter for the system would cause the biggest hardware bump.

Segata Sanshiro said:

They have to concentrate themself more of games and less on the rest. After all, MHP2&G proved that PSP's software can sell like crazy, if the software is the right one. A less arrogant Sony and more First Party games could be a great beginning at launch. A better battery life is absolutely needed. And of course Monster Hunter Portable 3.

Hcoregamer00

Pureauthor said:
Ick. If I had my way there'd be no talking of successors for either handheld until 2012 at least.

Considering that the DS has massive sales all over the world, and the PSP is the most successful non-nintendo handheld console ever made.

I think they both want to delay releasing DS2 and PSP2.

kswiston

After this week, it looks like MHP2G will pass SSBB in a couple weeks to become the best selling game of the year to date. Whether SSBB has longer legs, and surpasses MHP2G again by year's end remains to be seen.

So what games will likely make up the top 5 for 2008? DQIX, MHP2G, SSBB, Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii?

schuelma

ethelred said:
Monster Hunter Portable 2G should surge past Smash Bros. soon. Awesome.

Like next week. Gotta admit this is stunning to me. I know MH is huge on PSP, but I didn't think the expansion would be this big.

JoshuaJSlone said:
That's what's curious, I think. You (rightly, I think) said DS has less growth potential since it's already grown so much. But Monster Hunter was already the #1 and #2 game on PSP, so one might've thought that fanbase already had the system. My post today was obviously in jest, but no way would I have guessed a month ago that the third Monster Hunter for the system would cause the biggest hardware bump.

These sales (second week) are more then enough clear to understand that not only Monster Hunter 2 owners are buying the game. definitely it is a vector of hardware's sales and it will sell much better then the previous game. Definitely, as I said, Nintendo has made a mistake to not support the DS this year, because they let the PSP emerge once again with MHP2G. Why Monster Hunter Freedom 1 hasn't sold so much? Simply because the attention was all for the DS. Now this popularity is slowing down and PSP is a valid alternative to the handheld space. Nintendo felt too safe and unreachable and they made this mistake.

Capcom announced that they shipped 1.5M copies of MHP2G so far, so they sold relatively close to what they shipped.

Any locals know of the supply in the stores? Does it look like the sales for the game have mainly capped, or will we see it hit 2M in a couple weeks?

dionysus

Yaldog
Hcoregamer00 said:
Considering that the DS has massive sales all over the world, and the PSP is the most successful non-nintendo handheld console ever made.

I think they both want to delay releasing DS2 and PSP2.

This is what I am hoping, cause I think it is best for us gamers. I also think it is best for the companies too, as the real profits are in software which benefits from a large userbase.

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
These sales (second week) are more then enough clear to understand that not only Monster Hunter 2 owners are buying the game. definitely it is a vector of hardware's sales and it will sell much better then the previous game. Definitely, as I said, Nintendo has made a mistake to not support the DS this year, because they let the PSP emerge once again with MHP2G. Why Monster Hunter Freedom 1 hasn't sold so much? Simply because the attention was all for the DS. Not this popularity is slowing down and PSP is a valid alternative to the handheld space.

I guess I really don't see how Nintendo should care all that much. It's still selling well, the games are still selling well...the home console market is the one where Nintendo still has some work to do- I can't really blame them for making the Wii its chief focus.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:

Maybe not 2012, but I'm feeling the same. Like hcoregamer said, with the DS and PSP doing very healthy hardware sales and the DS software selling like crazy, I don't think any of them will want to pump out anymore hardware upgrades for a while.

Which is good! More time to work on games instead. :D

Mythos Yggdrasil said:
These sales (second week) are more then enough clear to understand that not only Monster Hunter 2 owners are buying the game. definitely it is a vector of hardware's sales and it will sell much better then the previous game. Definitely, as I said, Nintendo has made a mistake to not support the DS this year, because they let the PSP emerge once again with MHP2G. Why Monster Hunter Freedom 1 hasn't sold so much? Simply because the attention was all for the DS. Now this popularity is slowing down and PSP is a valid alternative to the handheld space. Nintendo felt too safe and unreachable and they made this mistake.

The DS has sold over 21 million and it still selling the same as the PS2 was in its best years. Also note how many games have stayed in the charts for god knows how many years and consistently selling (Animal Crossing is back!) They sure as hell don't seem to mind a little bit of slacking off on the side of sales for the little handheld.

If you still think they made a mistake, go and count how many DS games are in that list compared to PSP games.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Guess they're screwed

kswiston

schuelma said:
I guess I really don't see how Nintendo should care all that much. It's still selling well, the games are still selling well...the home console market is the one where Nintendo still has some work to do- I can't really blame them for making the Wii its chief focus.

Plus this has always been nintendo's strategy. They release a ton of AAA titles in the first 2-4 years of a console's life, and then slowly roll back the number of big titles being released so that they can repeat the cycle on their next console or handheld.

btutterrow said:
Capcom announced that they shipped 1.5M copies of MHP2G so far, so they sold relatively close to what they shipped.

Any locals know of the supply in the stores? Does it look like the sales for the game have mainly capped, or will we see it hit 2M in a couple weeks?
Well, I can find it here now in my town, which is more than I could say for the first week and a half. But I wouldn't say there's a lot of stock by any means.

SovanJedi said:
Maybe not 2012, but I'm feeling the same. Like hcoregamer said, with the DS and PSP doing very healthy hardware sales and the DS software selling like crazy, I don't think any of them will want to pump out anymore hardware upgrades for a while.

Which is good! More time to work on games instead. :D

Agreed. PSP Slim launched recently and a new version is out of question in the short term and probably even in the medium term. DS: same thing. Maybe we'll see a DS redesign sooner then a PSP redesgin. Why? Simply because DS Lite came out before PSP Slim and because DS needs in Japan a new version more then PSP.

More games from Sony and Nintendo First party studios on their respective handhelds are required.

Laguna

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:

I know what you are trying to say but like I said the NDS won´t have a huge hardware bump by games like Gyakuten and Layton. The biggest difference between those games is indeed the popularity. Monster Hunter is so popular right now that it even caused mass-hysteria by Sonyfanboys. Many were curious and wanted to know what all this buzz is about, resulting to higher hardwaresales. Layton is also very popular especially for a Level5 game, Gyakuten not so much (saleswise) but it very likely that it won´t generate such an mass-hysteria effect like MH2G.

SovanJedi said:
The DS has sold over 21 million and it still selling the same as the PS2 was in its best years. Also note how many games have stayed in the charts for god knows how many years and consistently selling (Animal Crossing is back!) They sure as hell don't seem to mind a little bit of slacking off on the side of sales for the little handheld.

Yeah, but it is a stupid move. Nintendo had the 80% or more of the handheld space in Japan before PSP Slim launched. With a game like New Super Mario Bros. 2 they would have given the "coup of grâce" on the system. But Nintendo choose the wait and see and now the resurgence of PSP can become dangerous for them.
Good for PSP? Sure. Good for us, gamers? Obviously ! But not a nice event for Nintendo. A not-so-logic comparison: when humans and elves defeated Sauron (LoTR), Isildur failed to destroy the ring and so he failed to put the word "end" on the story.
Same thing for Nintendo: they could have done to the PSP what the PS2 did to the Gamecube, but they failed and in my eyes this is a mistake for them.

Hcoregamer00

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Well, I for one welcome this resurgence of the PSP in Japan if it is a long term thing.

That is because I felt that Nintendo themselves have been too complacent in the handheld race. On the other hand, 3rd party companies just keep on amazing with new stuff announced each week.

I mean, Capcom just announced an Ace Attorney/GS spinoff starring Edgeworth, and you know it will sell pretty well.

On the other hand, I am very PO'ed that there is no new super mario bros. 2 that rips off mario world, with better graphics, and a better soundtrack. I am also irritated that there has been nothing on a 2nd Animal Crossing for the DS or a Smash Bros. DS game.

cvxfreak

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Now I look stupid for not trusting sp0rsk, he is going to be right if SE continues mute on DQ...

I wonder why we haven't heard anything else involving DQV and DQVI, nevermind DQIX.

farnham

Banned
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is preparing something for the DS after seeing the PSP sales surge since the last year..

Salesdrop or new colors would be a start... and maybe some first party software..

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

What mistake are you referring to? Was Super Mario 64, OoT, Smash Brothers, or any of the other classic, high-selling games exclusive to the N64 significant problems for the PSX? You honestly thought Nintendo assumed that the PSP wasn't going to get ANY blockbuster high-selling titles?

You're delusional if you think the Big N is sweating this. If they were, they would have probably executed a price drop for the DS or even release a new color. :lol

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Yeah, but it is a stupid move. Nintendo had the 80% or more of the handheld space in Japan before PSP Slim launched. With a game like New Super Mario Bros. 2 they would have given the "coup of grâce" on the system. But Nintendo choose the wait and see and now the resurgence of PSP can become dangerous for them.
Good for PSP? Sure. Good for us, gamers? Obviously ! But not a nice event for Nintendo. A not-so-logic comparison: when humans and elves defeated Sauron (LoTR), Isildur failed to destroy the ring and so he failed to put the word "end" of then story.
Same thing for Nintendo: they could have done to the PSP what the PS2 did to the Gamecube, but they failed and in m eyes this is a mistake for them.

They're not out to completely eradicate Sony from the market, good gracious! They've already done what they wanted to do, and that was to turn their business around to something massively popular. Just as most people say third party publishers don't measure their success by the sales of other, unrelated games, Nintendo aren't measuring their success to what others are doing, just how well they're doing compared to their previous results. Yes the PSP is now outselling the DS on a weekly basis, but they've made a shitload of progress on their handheld sales and most of their games have smashed through the records of older games (New Super Mario Bros. is the second best selling Mario game of all time in Japan - just think over that for a while), and it's not like they're losing support to the PSP either.

I think you're just panicked because it seems they've left it to die, which they haven't. Sure they have scaled back support but it's not like they're disowning it. And who knows, perhaps they will finish off the DS' lifespan with a brilliant top-secret game, sort of how they did with the SNES and Yoshi's Island. And if the generation is stretched out like we were just discussing, they will definitely have time to do that without any extra panic towards rushing some launch titles for a new handheld.

EDIT: Also releasing new top-tier software now will probably stem the sales of constantly-selling DS games like New Super Mario Bros., Animal Crossing et al. It's annoying for us but hey, good things come to those who wait right?

schuelma

SovanJedi said:
They're not out to completely eradicate Sony from the market, good gracious! They've already done what they wanted to do, and that was to turn their business around to something massively popular. Just as most people say third party publishers don't measure their success by the sales of other, unrelated games, Nintendo aren't measuring their success to what others are doing, just how well they're doing compared to their previous results. Yes the PSP is now outselling the DS on a weekly basis, but they've made a shitload of progress on their handheld sales and most of their games have smashed through the records of older games (New Super Mario Bros. is the second best selling Mario game of all time in Japan - just think over that for a while), and it's not like they're losing support to the PSP either.

I think you're just panicked because it seems they've left it to die, which they haven't. Sure they have scaled back support but it's not like they're disowning it. And who knows, perhaps they will finish off the DS' lifespan with a brilliant top-secret game, sort of how they did with the SNES and Yoshi's Island. And if the generation is stretched out like we were just discussing, they will definitely have time to do that without any extra panic towards rushing some launch titles for a new handheld.

If we assume Nintendo is now fully committing its resources to the Wii..that sounds like the smart move to me.

Hcoregamer00

cvxfreak said:
I wonder why we haven't heard anything else involving DQV and DQVI, nevermind DQIX.

PSP version?????

Yeah right, although it would be cool if Square announced more PSP titles after Dissidia.

SovanJedi said:

QFT, this post is made of so much win.

felipeko

Laguna said:
I know what you are trying to say but like I said the NDS won´t have a huge hardware bump by games like Gyakuten and Layton. The biggest difference between those games is indeed the popularity. Monster Hunter is so popular right now that it even caused mass-hysteria by Sonyfanboys. Many were curious and wanted to know what all this buzz is about, resulting to higher hardwaresales. Layton is also very popular especially for a Level5 game, Gyakuten not so much (saleswise) but it very likely that it won´t generate such an mass-hysteria effect like MH2G.
While PSP has a Monster bump, DS will probably have some Dragon bump.. Don't you think?

swerve

farnham said:
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is preparing something for the DS after seeing the PSP sales surge since the last year..

Anything they are planning will be related, as ever with all of the hardware manufacturers, to their own sales targets. If Nintendo expected to still be selling 120k per week, they'll be panicking and re-strategising. But not because a competitor is doing well.

If you're market leader, and you're executing your strategy right, and it's going as planned, then you don't jump because someone else has success. Unless you're microsoft, perhaps ;)

Impressive second week sales for both MH and PSP.

Bye RGGK.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Nintendo doesn't care. And tbh why should they? Their hard- and software still sells great and ensuring a steady flow of Wii software is far more important atm.

Laguna

Banned
Some are already overdoing it again :lol The interesting part of this years battle begins now. I´m really looking forward to see what PSPs sales will look like after the effect of PSPs smash-hit called Monster Hunter and monthly new colors wears of.

schuelma

Laguna said:
I´m really looking forward to see what PSPs sales will look like after the effect of PSPs smash-hit called Monster Hunter and monthly new colors wears of.

I think it will still sell very well.

Hcoregamer00

Segata Sanshiro said:
I just want the third parties to come back.

Yup, having 3rd party games on the DS are great, but I want them to spread the love a little bit.

schuelma said:
I think it will still sell very well.

Even before Monster Hunter came out the PSP started outselling the DS.

That means that since the Slim was released, the PSP had a revival of sorts.

Top Bottom