• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

I don't think they'll even do an enhanced Wii Sports type of game. I see them releasing a compilation of different sports with the same simplicity and call it a day. That's what made Wii Sports such a deadly killer app, why change things now. They could potentially release a new one each year that way and they can ensure that each Wii Sport sku won't cannibalize each other's sales.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
chibcicylist said:
I don't think they'll even do an enhanced Wii Sports type of game. I see them releasing a compilation of different sports with the same simplicity and call it a day. That's what made Wii Sports such a deadly killer app, why change things now. They could potentially release a new one each year that way and they can ensure that each Wii Sport sku won't cannibalize each other's sales.

They effing better. Just give me Wii Sports plus league play plus online and I'm in heaven.

1-D_FTW

/\/\/\/\/\

You got that right. I seethe a little angrier everytime I see a release schedule for the rest of the year and there's no sports games announced.

If the NES could have a sports line, the Wii freaking better.

I fear the beancounters at H.Q. going, "Hmm, Wii Sports is selling pretty damn good. Let's not release standalone versions and cannibalize sales until Wii Sports reaches saturation levels.

Never mind these games could be produced for practically nothing. They just better announce these game by "E3" or Daddy's gonna start spamming Wii Votes with questions like: "Why does Wii suck?" Answers: "Cause there's no Wii Sports titles."

Chumly

The more I think about it I dont think we are going to see an increase in Wii sales this week. I think Nintendo is just shipping out what they can and selling it. If there is an increase it will be a very very small one.

Datschge

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What I'm talking about is a slowly, but constant grown up of Nintendo. This is a long term vision.
Indeed, and making developing games needing less manpower is apparently a big part of Nintendo approach. Nintendo's growth is less through increasing the company's size and staff, and more through making their output (systems, games, brands) even more profitable.

Chumly said:
The more I think about it I dont think we are going to see an increase in Wii sales this week. I think Nintendo is just shipping out what they can and selling it. If there is an increase it will be a very very small one.
I posted this earlier but there really was an increase. The pattern of high-lo Wii sales seems to be easing up . We might be seeing a consistent weekly 75k shipment from now on instead of the usual 50k-75k biweekly pattern.

Dragona Akehi said:
I know but it's still terribly depressing. Mythology is such a fascinating subject. It is history (or a type of history) that becomes legend and myth and which was shaped by the society and in turn shapes the society itself.

I mean it's just as depressing seeing someone equate Valkyrie Profile with an accurate telling of Norse Mythology (though obviously I love it anyway). Or in this case God of War...

The Illiad is amazing and I'd definitely recommend you revisit it. It's an excellent epic poem. If you like it I can recommend lots of other epic poetry and myth from other societies.

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't have the time to commit to being serious about it. :)

Pureauthor said:
01. NDS Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
02. NDS Momotarou Dentetsu DS: Tokyo & Japan
03. Wii Super Paper Mario
04. Wii Wii Sports
05. Wii Wii Play
06. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree
07. NDS Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis
08. NDS Panel de Pon DS
09. Wii One Piece Unlimited Adventure
10. NDS Gyakuten Saiban 4

11. NDS Yoshi Island DS
12. NDS Whatever Pachiko game
13. PSP Final Fantasy 1
14. NDS More English Training
15. NDS More Brain Training
16. NDS NEW SMB

Sony needs to quit hating on Nintendo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
The latest top sales must not be making third parties very happy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
mj1108 said:
I know. Those poor PS3 devs.....

That's not what I'm saying. Almost all the top 20 games, which are almost all Wii or DS games, are by Nintendo. It goes back to the idea that third parties don't have room on a Nintendo console.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ether_Snake said:
That's not what I'm saying. Almost all the top 20 games, which are almost all Wii or DS games, are by Nintendo. It goes back to the idea that third parties don't have room on a Nintendo console.

Well, 4 of the top 10 are 3rd party including the #1 title that sold a ton more than the other 9 on the list.

PkunkFury

Ether_Snake said:

or perhaps they aren't making/advertising the type of games people want to play? but no, this is probably Nintendo's doing somehow...

donny2112

Dragona Akehi said:
If it's getting so boring add in some NPD stuff or something.

USJapan_cumulative.png

If adjusted to start at the same point...

USJapan_cumulative_adj.png

For Europe, it wouldn't be a bad guess through March of ...

360: 2.7 million
WII: 1.9 million
PS3: 0.8 million

Ether_Snake said:

Or back to Miyamoto telling them to start using their A-teams to develop games for Nintendo consoles.

quest

Not Banned from OT
bgassassin said:
Or back to Miyamoto telling them to start using their A-teams to develop games for Nintendo consoles.

Yep garbage by the D team is not going to sell. It took a while for devs to figure that out on the DS and might take them a while to figure it out on the Wii.

Link said:
OT, but Joshua, what's the significance of the chart in your avatar? Does it represent anything or is it just a random sales week?
Just a random week.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that now it is time for Nintendo to begin to expand itself slowly, but constantly. If not now, then when ?
The previous ten years when they weren't dominating and weren't guaranteed massive third party support to fill in gaps?

Krowley

the thoroughbred said:
Does anyone think the market is saturated with training games. Common knowledge training didn't hit the magic status the others did, did it?

I think the training games are a fad and i think it's just about to die. Doesn't really say anything about nintendo's philosophy . Something like that just has limited appeal and you can only milk it for a while before it's time to retire. It's actually pretty impressive that they've managed to do this well.

Same thing will happen with wii sports style minigame collections on the wii, but it doesn't really say anything about the wii's potential success.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Krowley said:
I think the training games are a fad and i think it's just about to die. Doesn't really say anything about nintendo's philosophy . Something like that just has limited appeal and you can only milk it for a while before it's time to retire. It's actually pretty impressive that they've managed to do this well.

Same thing will happen with wii sports style minigame collections on the wii, but it doesn't really say anything about the wii's potential success.

Unless there is nothing else for that specific demographic to buy. The training games in Japan are selling mostly to adults whom don't play the FF or Pokemons.

Terrell

Ether_Snake said:
I know you're probably jesting, but:

1) Nintendo actually has marketing budgets for its games... GASP!
2) 3rd-parties are competing with Square Enix on PlayStation platforms because their sales can't match theirs... same principle, but much more difficult to villify
3) They sell the same amount on Nintendo platforms as Sony platforms, but 3rd-parties are jealous because Nintendo sells in a crazy amount of volume that they can't achieve

All these things are factors, on top of Nintendo having some of the most respected development teams in the world. I wish 3rd-parties would get off the cross already.

Krowley

Ether_Snake said:
Unless there is nothing else for that specific demographic to buy. The training games in Japan are selling mostly to adults whom don't play the FF or Pokemons.

I think once people have the system, devs will find a way to market to them.

Also, in the case of the DS, just getting so many people to buy the system has resulted in a pretty decent explosion of 3rd party support in other genre's and that's led to a steady migration of regular old fashioned gamers to the platform. At least based on the sales of Final Fantasy, there seems to be a decent number of RPG gamers on the DS.

I think in america the wii already has a good number of regular gamers but it may take more time in japan or i suppose it may never happen.

As a wii owner i'm hopeful that the strong NA sales of zelda and red steel indicate that hardcore games can do well, at least in america.

justchris

Ether_Snake said:

The problem with this argument is that it doesn't matter what system you release your games on. You're still competing against Nintendo. I mean, you don't see Rockstar getting upset because Pokemon is outselling GTA (which it does pretty consistently). And you know what, Pokemon is going to keep outselling GTA, no matter what console they put it on. It has nothing to do with 3rd parties not selling on Nintendo systems, and everything to do with Nintendo selling ridiculous amounts of software. God forbid Nintendo should ever become a 3rd party, if that happened, every other developer could pretty much just call it quits.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Or put a Gamecube on a cross getting crucified.

"I died for the Wii".

justchris said:
The problem with this argument is that it doesn't matter what system you release your games on. You're still competing against Nintendo. I mean, you don't see Rockstar getting upset because Pokemon is outselling GTA (which it does pretty consistently). And you know what, Pokemon is going to keep outselling GTA, no matter what console they put it on. It has nothing to do with 3rd parties not selling on Nintendo systems, and everything to do with Nintendo selling ridiculous amounts of software. God forbid Nintendo should ever become a 3rd party, if that happened, every other developer could pretty much just call it quits.

Pokemon is outselling GTA but it's not eating into its sales. If EA or Ubisoft makes the "kinds of games Wii/DS owners want", whatever that's supposed to be, it won't generate more sales. Those people have X amount of money they are willing to spend on games. The best they could do is try and eat away at Nintendo's sales, but Nintendo has always been aware of that and this is why they have come off as not being third-party friendly (edit: hence why third-parties prefer to just throw cheap ports, they don't have to spend a lot of money at the risk of being beaten by a Nintendo game, and they make their profits anyway).

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ether_Snake said:
Or put a Gamecube on a cross getting crucified.

"I died for the Wii".
Nah, that wouldn't quite work. The GC was already dead. It had no hand in helping the Wii achieve what's it's accomplished. Conversely, the Wii's performance had no bearing on the GC's fate.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Link said:
Nah, that wouldn't quite work. The GC was already dead. It had no hand in helping the Wii achieve what's it's accomplished. Conversely, the Wii's performance had no bearing on the GC's fate.

Not really, it suffered to make way for the Wii. Without the suffering, maybe the Wii would be the Mega Nintendo, with HD and Blu-Ray/HD disc and all.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Maybe, but I think the Wii is more Iwata's vision for Nintendo than a decision necessarily based on past failures. Just look at the DS, which was pretty much the same deviation from the norm. It's not like the Game Boy line was hurting at all.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Link said:
Maybe, but I think the Wii is more Iwata's vision for Nintendo than a decision necessarily based on past failures. Just look at the DS, which was pretty much the same deviation from the norm. It's not like the Game Boy line was hurting at all.

True.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
There's something to be said for having the right product at the right time, rather than one single-reason these things work out the way they do. For every choice of a new game medium, there's a thousand under-the-table deals for exclusives. For every choice of lesser hardware, there's a game that can define a generation.

We have to stop looking for a single reason that certain systems reach critical mass (NES, PS2, DS) and realize that it's for a whole slew of reasons...but mostly just being the right product at the right time.

Kafel

Banned
Nintendo will not only cause massive damage in the Fall in Japan but all over the world :

Iwata announced that Mario Galaxy SSBB and MP3 will be released everywhere in 2007.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
There are 14 Wii and DS games I can count there that are third party. 1/5 Wii games, 13/29 DS. The first 3rd party game there took the top spot by a great margin.

Square-Enix were only expecting to sell 300,000 copies of Final Fantasy 3 in Japan. Actual sales have been more than triple that and it's still slowly rising each week.

One Piece sold out of its initial shipment, Professor Layton has been doing absolutely amazing in the light of multiple other releases over the months, and Gyakuten Saiban 4 has broken every previous record held by the last three entries by a huge margin.

In other words.

STOP USING THE "THIRD PARTY GAMES DON'T SELL" ANGLE BECAUSE IT IS A LOAD OF OLD TOSH!!!!!!

Eteric Rice

SovanJedi said:

STOP USING THE "THIRD PARTY GAMES DON'T SELL" ANGLE BECAUSE IT IS A LOAD OF BULLSHIT!!!!!!

Fixed.

Devs who bitch about competing with Nintendo only do so because they can't make games that compare. If they developed on it, they'd have to step up their game. They simply don't want to make great games when they can get away with mediocre games.

I think when Square-Enix starts developing for the Wii at a normal pace, we'll see some high quality stuff come out of them. Dragon Quest Swords is a good example.

Eteric Rice said:
Fixed.

Devs who bitch about competing with Nintendo only do so because they can't make games that compare. If they developed on it, they'd have to step up their game. They simply don't want to make great games when they can get away with mediocre games.

I agree completely. Its almost as if the devs dont realize whats up. Nintendo has become synonymous with quality so of course they sell the best. That doesnt mean that any game of quality doesnt sell for Nintendo systems. They are cowards if they think that because they are admitting that they cant stand the heat. Man Up I say!

Eteric Rice said:
Fixed.

Right.
Dead Rising, Lost Planet, MGS, DMC, and so on.
Such games would sell big on Wii, too. Because they´re good games.
Sadly, it seems like most developers cant see this easy to understand logic.

Top Bottom