• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 4/16 - 4/22

StevieP

Banned
You all forget that it takes at least a year, sometimes 2, to make good, ground-up games. At least, if you want a good length single player/multiplayer focus instead of a port or a minigame fest.

There's a reason why games like Red Steel reeked of potential but absolutely failed to capitalize on much of it, and it had everything to do with its rushed, breakneck speed development. (Even the awesome Excite Truck would've benefitted with more time in the oven, like Zelda did, and that's a first party title!)

To put it simply, pubs were caught with their pants down, and the fruits of their now-started endevours won't be visible for a long while. Thanks to the Wii's market-leading sales, it won't be ignored. But you all can't expect a lot of good, ground-up exclusive third party games for the system to appear in the half-year the console's been out. Remember, third parties were all hedging their bets on the PS3, and the 360 to some extent (i.e. cross-platform) because everyone thought the PS3 would hand everyone their asses. That's why you've got FFXIII on the PS3 announced and started so long ago, and that's why Square told Nintendo fans to watch their upcoming conference in regards to their future support. It's probably the same reason why RE4's sequel was announced for the PS3/360, rather than the Wii (i.e. "Nintendo's gonna be in third again, why throw away the mass market like we did with the GC?")

With all that said, however, the Mark Reins of the industry wouldn't abandon the HD platforms even if they had a combined half of the Wii's sell-through, because there are many (mostly western) devs that simply want to push technology, without as much thought about install base. These are the guys that flocked to the XBox last gen, and will be flocking to the 360 (and sometimes to the PS3) this gen. You can't expect Unreal Tournament III on the Wii, for instance, but to say that the platform will be ignored by third parties with such stupid reasoning is to be preaching a bit too early in the generation.

Eteric Rice

BelligerentOC said:
I agree completely. Its almost as if the devs dont realize whats up. Nintendo has become synonymous with quality so of course they sell the best. That doesnt mean that any game of quality doesnt sell for Nintendo systems. They are cowards if they think that because they are admitting that they cant stand the heat. Man Up I say!

I see it like this.

Normal Dev = "Okay guys, make this game. You have this long to do it, and this much budget to do it with. If it's not done by then, we'll push it out anyway."

Nintendo = "Okay guys, make this game. You have this long to do it, if it's not done we'll push it's release date back. You have this much budget, but we can go over if we must."

People bitch about Nintendo's tendency to push games back, but this isn't a bad thing. That much more time equals that much more polish.

Right.
Dead Rising, Lost Planet, MGS, DMC, and so on.
Such games would sell big on Wii, too. Because they´re good games.

I don't see why they wouldn't sell on the Wii with proper advertising. They're good games, so why not?

+Aliken+

lol, haven't they been released, there is no "Media Create Sales 4/23 4/29

(I just thought that is could be related to this week holidays in Jp)

edit: late

arooz

Banned
+Aliken+ said:
What about last weeks sales?

1 NDS / Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings, 295,805
2 Wii / Super Paper Mario, 80,845
3 NDS / Momotaro Electric Railway DS: Tokyo and Japan, 68,921
4 Wii / Wii Sports, 51,608
5 Wii /Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree, 43,808
6 NDS / Phoenix Wright 4, 38,792
7 Wii / One Piece: Unlimited Adventure, 7,944
8 Wii /Wii Play, 35,856
9 NDS /Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March Of The Minis, 34,985
10 NDS / Panel de Pon DS, 33,734

Aaron

Eteric Rice said:
I don't see why they wouldn't sell on the Wii with proper advertising. They're good games, so why not?
Dead Rising would have to be remade from the ground up, but let's say Capcom went for it anyway. A little less pretty, maybe 2/3rds to half the zombies, and to use the various weapons would involve swinging around the wii the appropriate way. Also shaking to shake off a grab, and maybe even something for holding the hand of survivors. Cut-scenes would be pre-rendered, but in structure everything could stay the same as it is.

I think Capcom could solid sales from it, more than enough to cover the effort, if it got the right advertising push. Imagine the commerical where it looks like someone is doing the golf swing from some wii golf game and it cuts to showing them knocking down a horde of rampaging zombies. Sure, the visuals will suffer some, but so what?

perfectchaos007 said:
A certain banned source said PS3 sold around ~13000 this week so who knows. The PS3 couldn't decline forever. Even the 360 has up weeks occasionally.

wow going around all of Japan counting must've taken a lot out of him. Kudos.

Eteric Rice said:

Huh?
I wrote that those games would sell on Wii as well as on other consoles. I didnt write something different from your opinion xD

I think the one thing that people are neglecting to look at with these sales is that Nintendo has pushed the bar up significantly.

In the PS2 generation a top 10 title only had to exceed roughly 8-10000 units to show up. Now Nintendo has come in and raised that bar, so that Nintendo titles and like minded titles generally round off the top 10 at 20k.

Do you seriously think that third party developers that develop for DS are wincing at their position in the top 10 when they're still making the same (or even better in comparison) coin in the 11-30 rankings?

What a lot of Nintendo detractors are evangelizing is that the top 10 is like a locker room and third parties are like the wimp in the corner. This is business.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I think the one thing that people are neglecting to look at with these sales is that Nintendo has pushed the bar up significantly.

In the PS2 generation a top 10 title only had to exceed roughly 8-10000 units to show up. Now Nintendo has come in and raised that bar, so that Nintendo titles and like minded titles generally round off the top 10 at 20k.

Do you seriously think that third party developers that develop for DS are wincing at their position in the top 10 when they're still making the same (or even better in comparison) coin in the 11-30 rankings?

What a lot of Nintendo detractors are evangelizing is that the top 10 is like a locker room and third parties are like the wimp in the corner. This is business.

Of course the market in Japan has grown-up since the Nintendo DS has been introduced. Before 2005, the market was in decline since 1996-7.
So, it is obvious that if the market is bigger, it is bigger the volume of games sold and so in the weekly top 10, there are more probabilities to have the 10th game with more then 20k copies sold.

Hardware Sales For the week ending at Apr 29th Courtesy of VGChartz

Hardware Weekly Sales

Nintendo DS 210,233 (+27%)
Nintendo Wii 81,194 (+10%)
Sony PSP 29,309 (-5%)
Sony PS3 12,366 (+7%)
Sony PS2 12,271 (+5%)
MS Xbox 360 3,299 (+25%)
Nintendo GBA 1,763 (+8%)
Nintendo GCN 283 (+8%)

AzureNightmareXE said:
Hardware Sales For the week ending at Apr 29th Courtesy of a site which is known to pull numbers out of thin air

Hardware

Nintendo DS 210,233 (+27%)
Nintendo Wii 81,194 (+10%)
Sony PSP 29,309 (-5%)
Sony PS3 12,366 (+7%)
Sony PS2 12,271 (+5%)
MS Xbox 360 3,299 (+25%)
Nintendo GBA 1,763 (+8%)
Nintendo GCN 283 (+8%)

*kicks you in the shins*

DeaconKnowledge said:
So how come we haven't gotten this weeks numbers officially? I thought Golden Week was this week, and NEXT Week's numbers were supposed to be late.

Since Golden Week is going on right now, the people at MC are having their vacation right now.

Also, I see no reason why Media Create would have any desire to be tawdry on Golden Week sales, since many publishers will want to see if their games got boosted and by how much.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fredescu said:
Well this week is the holiday, right? I assume they're all out enjoying themselves rather than releasing numbers.

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. It looks like we'll get 2 sets of numbers next week.

Eteric Rice

MasterMFauli said:
Huh?
I wrote that those games would sell on Wii as well as on other consoles. I didnt write something different from your opinion xD

Ohh, I thought you were being sarcastic. :/ It's hard to tell these days. :D

schuelma

AzureNightmareXE said:
and Thats why theyre unofficial, idiot.

Well the term "unofficial" implies that the numbers are somewhat confirmed, just not official..as opposed to completely made up which those numbers are.

AzureNightmareXE said:
and Thats why theyre unofficial, idiot.

DS: 230, 143
Wii: 123, 456
Splorgernborg: 61, 459
PSP: 45, 378
PS3: 99, 999
XBox 360: 1337
GBA: 12

There. What's to say my numbers are any less worth discussing than VGChartz?

cedric69

... well, as of today I officially decide that Microsoft has dropped the ball once more in Japan...

To think of all the money that's been completely wasted in that venture... give me one percent Bill, what the heck!!! :lol

cedric69 said:
... well, as of today I unofficially decide that Microsoft has dropped the ball once more in Japan...

To think of all the money that's been completely wasted in that venture... give me one percent Bill, what the heck!!! :lol

Fixed!

Unofficially, it is 70 degrees outside your house. There is a 15% chance of torrential downpour.

Hm. That means I'll need to Burst with Ursula, otherwise my chocolate won't melt fast enough and my meat won't cook.

cedric69 said:
... well, as of today I officially decide that Microsoft has dropped the ball once more in Japan...

Today?

I think we had that nailed down a good year ago.

Saitou

Banned
I still fail to comprehend why mentioning That Chart Site isn't a bannable offense. I mean, ***-*** is a banned word.

Mod team, some consistency in the bannings is appreciated.

schuelma

SovanJedi said:
There are 14 Wii and DS games I can count there that are third party. 1/5 Wii games, 13/29 DS. The first 3rd party game there took the top spot by a great margin.

Square-Enix were only expecting to sell 300,000 copies of Final Fantasy 3 in Japan. Actual sales have been more than triple that and it's still slowly rising each week.

One Piece sold out of its initial shipment, Professor Layton has been doing absolutely amazing in the light of multiple other releases over the months, and Gyakuten Saiban 4 has broken every previous record held by the last three entries by a huge margin.

In other words.

STOP USING THE "THIRD PARTY GAMES DON'T SELL" ANGLE BECAUSE IT IS A LOAD OF OLD TOSH!!!!!!

Yeah..it especially makes no sense when the #1 selling game of the week by far was 3rd party.

CorwinB

schuelma said:
Yeah..it especially makes no sense when the #1 selling game of the week by far was 3rd party.

Yeah, but SE is excluded from conventional wisdom about 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. Come to think of it, all 3rd party titles selling well on Nintendo systems are generally excluded from conventional wisdom about 3rd party games on Nintendo systems.

schuelma

CorwinB said:
Yeah, but SE is excluded from conventional wisdom about 3rd party games on Nintendo systems. Come to think of it, all 3rd party titles selling well on Nintendo systems are generally excluded from conventional wisdom about 3rd party games on Nintendo systems.

Oh yeah I forgot. Thanks for reminding me..its tough to remember all the rules.

D.Lo

PantherLotus said:
There's something to be said for having the right product at the right time, rather than one single-reason these things work out the way they do. For every choice of a new game medium, there's a thousand under-the-table deals for exclusives. For every choice of lesser hardware, there's a game that can define a generation.

We have to stop looking for a single reason that certain systems reach critical mass (NES, PS2, DS) and realize that it's for a whole slew of reasons...but mostly just being the right product at the right time.
Totally with you there. Timing is the most important thing.

donny2112 said:
For Europe, it wouldn't be a bad guess through March of ...

360: 2.7 million
WII: 1.9 million
PS3: 0.8 million
If these guesses are anywhere near true, doesn't that mean the Wii may surpass the 360 as early as July?

schuelma

D.Lo said:
If these guesses are anywhere near true, doesn't that mean the Wii may surpass the 360 as early as July?

Worldwide? Absolutely. Assuming the demand stays steady and supply stays the same or increases a bit, Wii will be ahead by July or August. It's really quite amazing. Nintendo looks to be gaining over half a million a month.

Totalriot

CorwinB said:

We should exclude all 3rd party developers who put decent games on nintendo systems from this argument.

Eteric Rice

Totalriot said:
We should exclude all 3rd party developers who put decent games on nintendo systems from this argument.

Resident Evil 4 did not exist. It was just an illusion set forth by the architect.

CorwinB

Totalriot said:

Not at all ! Only those that sell well, because decent 3rd party games that bomb on Nintendo systems (because of lack of marketing, too little copies available...) serve as further proof of the conventional wisdom.

schuelma said:
Worldwide? Absolutely. Assuming the demand stays steady and supply stays the same or increases a bit, Wii will be ahead by July or August. It's really quite amazing. Nintendo looks to be gaining over half a million a month.

It truly is incredible. I am excited because Im witnessing history in the making.

Totalriot

CorwinB said:
Not at all ! Only those that sell well, because decent 3rd party games that bomb on Nintendo systems (because of lack of marketing, too little copies available...) serve as further proof of the conventional wisdom.

So this is what you mean:
SovanJedi said:

STOP USING THE "THIRD PARTY GAMES THAT DON'T SELL WELL DON'T SELL" ANGLE BECAUSE IT IS A LOAD OF OLD TOSH!!!!!!

:D

Top Bottom