• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

test_account

XP-39C²
7k first day sale on Folks Soul isnt much indeed, but it doesnt necessarily mean its bombed totally. When Ninja Gaiden Sigma first day sale numbers were revieled to ~20k i saw predictions that it would be like 30k, but according to MC it sold over 46k. NGS and Trusty Bell were also released 14th of June so they missed 3 days from this chart. If they got released 11th of June instead i think TB might have reached #1, would be cool if MS got atleast 1 game on #1 through 360's lifetime :)

It will be the same with Folks Soul (it was released yesterday). I dont think its too unlikely that FS might hit around 20k + - in the next MC stats, but i might be wrong.

Vagabundo said:
Havaen't MS stated that they will cut support for the 360 in JP at some point if things don't improve.

By cut support I mean stop trying not withdrawn the console totally.

I see them doing that once the moneyhatted Japanese stuff starts bombing in the western market, and it seems likely outside of Blue Dragon.

test_account said:
7k first day sale on Folks Soul isnt much indeed, but it doesnt necessarily mean its bombed totally. When Ninja Gaiden Sigma first day sale numbers were revieled to ~20k i saw predictions that it would be like 30k, but according to MC it sold over 46k. NGS and Trusty Bell were also released 14th of June so they missed 3 days from this chart. It will be the same with Folks Soul (it was released yesterday). I dont think its too unlikely that FS might hit around 20k + - in the next MC stats, but i might be wrong.

But that's usually an exception for non-Nintendo consoles. First day sales usually account for about 65-70% of total sales for that week, 50% is the most you can hope for in non non-games and is an exceptional result.

Besides, the first day Sinobi figures aren't precise. More than once, he has rounded anything ending with more than a 5 down to the nearest ten(27 will be given as "20" as a hint) so the 20k hint could have been 25k and up but less than 30k and still within the 65%-70% sell through for that particular week.

Vagabundo

titiklabingapat said:
I see them doing that once the moneyhatted Japanese stuff starts bombing in the western market, and it seems likely outside of Blue Dragon.

I think it was in an interview with one of the top dawgs at MS gaming, they were giving JP one last chance to buck up.

They will close up shop and just release western games, no more moneyhatting.

Maybe my memory is screwy.

Speevy said:
It's not like Ninja Gaiden and Ninja Gaiden Black were multi-million sellers to start with, and they launched on a system with a 15-20(?) million userbase.
To be a multi million seller you need to sell couple millions at least, just so you know. I would still like to see the numbers though, cause I can't find them anywhere.

Ninjabump is definately a disapointment, but not as big as some might think, as said before, the next big game after Gundam, will be Mingol 5. This one is sure to move at least 20k PS3s.

With FolksLore coming out this week, PS3 should rise some more to maybe 12-15k this week.

Vagabundo said:
Havaen't MS stated that they will cut support for the 360 in JP at some point if things don't improve.

By cut support I mean stop trying not withdrawn the console totally.
I don't think they ever said that specifically. On the contrary, I think they even said that they'll still be there to maintain presence for the few that support them and for their Japanese third parties and their releases. They want to build on whatever positives they have there with the hope that they'll eventually be more than a niche platform for the hardcore next go 'round. MS can certainly afford to keep things going there for the duration even if their operation there is probably never going to be in the black. If they keep the currently thin flow of software going, they'll likely surpass the original XBOX total in a couple of years. Kinda sad, but it's still an achievable goal.

Ynos Yrros said:
To be a multi million seller you need to sell couple millions at least, just so you know. I would still like to see the numbers though, cause I can't find them anywhere.

Ninjabump is definately a disapointment, but not as big as some might think, as said before, the next big game after Gundam, will be Mingol 5. This one is sure to move at least 20k PS3s.

With FolksLore coming out this week, PS3 should rise some more to maybe 12-15k this week.

First day figure for Folklore/Folk Soul is at 7k software units sold for the first day.

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
But that's usually an exception for non-Nintendo consoles. First day sales usually account for about 65-70% of total sales for that week, 50% is the most you can hope for in non non-games and is an exceptional result.

Besides, the first day Sinobi figures aren't precise. More than once, he has rounded anything ending with more than a 5 down to the nearest ten(27 will be given as "20" as a hint) so the 20k hint could have been 25k and up but less than 30k and still within the 65%-70% sell through for that particular week.

True that the Sinobi numbers are only estimates, but based on those the jump was pretty high to what MC revieled. If its usual that 65-70% of the total sales for the week happends on the first day, the NGS numbers shows things can change :) (it might still be right tho, it depends on how accurate the Sinobi numbers are). So the same can happend to FS too. Not 46k, but better than you might expect after seeing ~7k first day sales.

legend166 said:
Wouldn't 20k first week still be a bomb?
Depends upon publisher expectations, cost of development etc. In the case of something like HM Wii which did about 25k for its opening week, that’s not a terrible figure considering the declining sales of the series on home consoles (though it may have been below expectations for the publisher). If you’re talking about a 20k opening week for a game like, say, Final Fantasy CC: RoF, then that would likely be considered a fairly major bomb - an exclusive game with relatively high development costs that is heavily front-loaded (majority of lifetime sales in first week or two) doing that would struggle to achieve 60k+ lifetime.

legend166

I'm talking in terms of Folks Soul. I mean, people were expecting this to push a little bit of hardware. Looks like it will struggle to get to 50k, if it's lucky.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow at Folksouls..minusbump confirmed?

We need some 1st day Zelda numbers!!

titiklabingapat said:
First day figure for Folklore/Folk Soul is at 7k software units sold for the first day.
That's not important. Important thing is, that in consumers eyes, the PS3 situation is getting healthier (it's getting software). They will put more faith in a system that is getting software.

Of cours4e it will all die off with PS3 sales going to 5-7k, cause after FolkLore there's another drought.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ynos Yrros said:
That's not important. Important thing is, that in consumers eyes, the PS3 situation is getting healthier (it's getting software). They will put more faith in a system that is getting software.

Of cours4e it will all die off with PS3 sales going to 5-7k, cause after FolkLore there's another drought.

Well if that's true you should have seen a bigger bump than like 700 units no?

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Someone should put Dengeki charts too...btw, I don't understand why the PSP bump? 33% increase because of what? Only release was Colin Mcrae and last week releases FF2 and DBZ2 sunk in the charts.

First day numbers...

NDS Itadaki Street DS - 70k (not sure...can someone check to confirm?)
PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
Wii Hajime no Ippo Revolution - ~10k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

Not bad for Itadaki Street. Tomorrow is Zelda's day. I hope we'll have some first day number too...

Ynos Yrros said:

PS3 rising to "maybe 12-15k this week" because of Folklore/Folk Soul is out of the question, though.

legend166

Ynos Yrros said:

How could you possibly tell if consumers are getting more faith in the system? Isn't that something usually showed by sales, which don't back up your argument at all?

Jokeropia

Luckyman said:
What? :lol
My point is, last week when we got the top 10 and saw that RE4 wasn't in it we though it had probably suffered a pretty heavy drop. Then it turned out to be #11 which was better than most of us expected at that point. Likewise, this week when we got the top 30 and saw that RE4 was out of it we expected the worst, but #31 means it got as high as it possibly could.

Ynos Yrros said:

Is getting software no one is buying, unless you want to set your standars very low. It has been obvious for almost a year that the japanese market has shifted towards some types of games that PS3 aint offering.

Thoren

Banned
Console Price is a huge barrier anywhere, but its kind of disturbing that out of 900,000 PS3 owners so few of them are picking up NGS or Folksoul. I mean, you'd expect a freaking Ninja-Action game to sell in Japan, right? I wonder how many of them bought the PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.

As for the Japanese-style games funded by Microsoft (Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Discovery) I think its not only Microsoft trying to push the console forward in Japan, but expand it's userbase. I know a good amount of RPG gamers who have no interest in action games like Halo 3 or Gears of War will be picking up the console for the Mistwalker games and Mass Effect this year. The chances of the JRPGs bombing are pretty huge if the niche RPG crowd doesn't pick up the console for these games, which is a shame because I'd love to see more Sakaguchi-written games in the future. Maybe he'll do that Gears of War-style game instead? :lol

Microsoft desperately needs to change their image if they want to succeed. An Xbox 360 Lite promising no hardware failures would push the console pretty well everywhere. Otherwise I'd see it slowly dropping to third place when both 360 and PS3 reach the mass market point ($200-$300)

Ynos can feel in his heart the hearts of all Sony fans. He is like the Sony version of me.

HEY, SEGA FAN #489, STOP THINKING ABOUT TOUCHING LITTLE BOYS' BATHING SUIT AREAS!

Honestly, it's like a freaking day care at times.

jarrod

Banned
Dunno why some thought Folksoul would move serious units, it looks like shit, it's on PS3, and it's (sort of) predecessor bombed equally hard. I figured it'd at least crack 100k eventually, but now I'm revising down to 50k lifetime. :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ynos can feel in his heart the hearts of all Sony fans. He is like the Sony version of me.

HEY, SEGA FAN #489, STOP THINKING ABOUT TOUCHING LITTLE BOYS' BATHING SUIT AREAS!

:lol

Segata Sanshiro said:

You can't possibly mean to tell me there's still 489 Sega fans still remaining. I would've thought the numbers would be more like... 20.

Pureauthor said:
You can't possibly mean to tell me there's still 489 Sega fans still remaining. I would've thought the numbers would be more like... 20.
I'm not going to lie, the numbers are heavily padded by furries.

:(

test_account

XP-39C²
Ynos Yrros said:

My Summer Vacation 3 is comming 5th of July so its not a drought like it was the last months yet :)

Alcander

ouch at Folksoul #s :(

Also as someone mentioned above, I think a 360 lite would be a great idea. In the next revision if they could somehow slim it down, keep the same shape but smaller like the ps2 slim that would be awesome. I bet it would increase sales a bunch too.

test_account

XP-39C²
Alcander said:
Also as someone mentioned above, I think a 360 lite would be a great idea. In the next revision if they could somehow slim it down, keep the same shape but smaller like the ps2 slim that would be awesome. I bet it would increase sales a bunch too.

I dont think that is possible at the current state. 360 is already having heat issues, making it smaller will make it hotter, unless they come up with some advanced cooling system. Maybe when the 65nm CPU and GPU comes out tho. On the other hand, Ben Heck did make a pretty slim custom made 360 laptop. Wonder how that will work in the long run.

Fularu

Banned
Pureauthor said:

Screw you, I'm still a Megadrive/saturn sega fanboy

Alcander

test_account said:
I dont think that is possible at the current state. 360 is already having heat issues, making it smaller will make it hotter, unless they come up with some advanced cooling system. Maybe when the 65nm CPU and GPU comes out tho. On the other hand, Ben Heck did make a pretty slim custom made 360 laptop. Wonder how that will work in the long run.
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I wonder how far away they are from being able to fix the heating issues and compact the design, though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Alcander said:
Yeah, thats what I'm thinking. I wonder how far away they are from being able to fix the heating issues and compact the design, though.

As far as i know the 65nm GPU and CPU are suppose to be out this fall. We'll see then, i hope its cooler (as in cold) then :) Also, MS installed a extra heatsink on some of the ring of death systems that people sent in. I wonder if they will start doing this as a standard in the newly produced 360s. I would assume it helps abit.

FtsH

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
First day numbers...

PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

what?
040.GIF

c'mon you japanese, play some real games!

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Someone should put Dengeki charts too...btw, I don't understand why the PSP bump? 33% increase because of what? Only release was Colin Mcrae and last week releases FF2 and DBZ2 sunk in the charts.

First day numbers...

PS2 Growlanser VI - ~30k
PS2 Mana Khemia - <20k
360 Saints Row - ~7k
PS3 Folks Soul - ~7k

None of the other titles mentioned, no def jam, shadowrun, 50 other things that were released?

Saints row did about what I expected. Its bound to be a cult title given gta success in Japan. Folks Soul wtf? Looks so awesome,

Tiktaalik

Damn that is really bad numbers for Folksoul. I agree with others: What the hell is going on in Japan? There are quite a few PS3s out there, so why are the sales for these games so low?

Saints Row at 7k makes sense. That seems to be just about the number of hardcore Xboxers in Japan.

icecream said:
Or rather, you'll see the crazy stuff on 360, while the big name, mainstream stuff stick to the Wii and PS3.

What have they tried so far? N3 and BD? That's 1/2 thus far.
I wouldn't consider BD a comercial success. If it succeeded in capturing mindshare I would say actual sales were not important but after the bump everything reverted back to sub-par numbers.

FS numbers are low. I didn't think it would do great but 7.000 means probably around 13. - 15.000 for the week which is pretty disapointing since it'll drop off soon enough.

sphinx

the piano man
why was FS supposed to have good sales? was it heavily marketed? were there TV or magazine ads or something?

I feel like I am traveling back in time a sometime ago when some people were dissapointed because baten kaitos origins for gamecube sold badly in Japan.

It was a niche game from a niche franchise in a niche console. Isn't it the same here?

HyperionX

sphinx said:
why was FS supposed to have good sales? was it heavily marketed? were there TV or magazine ads or something?

I feel like I am traveling back in time a sometime ago when some people were dissapointed because baten kaitos origins for gamecube sold badly in Japan.

It was a niche game from a niche franchise in a niche console. Isn't it the same here?

It's new IP. If it sells well, it won't be due to first day sales.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Pureauthor said:
Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not going to lie, the numbers are heavily padded by furries.

:(
Fularu said:
Screw you, I'm still a Megadrive/saturn sega fanboy
sorry.gif

Yep.

Top Bottom