• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

So my spelling is harder to comprehend than this: (!?)
Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c," "y" and "x"--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
I kept teh "Qu" b/c it comes from Latin; it's an unwritten English rule you can't change the spelling of words from Latin (even tho it's a dead language) except the endings to fit with English grammar and a few other exceptions. If anyone's taken Latin they'll notice how similar the spelling is with the adopted English words. Also some spelling is meant to reflect its Old English spelling (A.D. 550-1066) in a few cases with vowels so I'd leave that unchanged (ie. some of the <ea> spellings as in 'dead' instead of 'ded') out of respect for our ancestors and the Romans :D. The French loans and some other foreign loan words need updating the most b/c their pronunciation conflicts with our spelling rules.

There are also derivational errors with our spelling as in 'island' the 's' was added in the 16th century (during a spelling reformation/renaissance at the time) b/c linguists believed it came from Latin which has as 's' but 'island' is a Germanic word and thus has always been in English. It was before spelt: 'Iland'. <There are many more errors such as this that need to be corrected, agreed?

I'm not hte first and neither is Mark Twain to suggest this: Benjamin Franklin and Noah Webster plus many others have all attempted some kind of spelling reformation. This has been an issue since the 17th Century as vernacular pronunciations moved further away from the King James Bible's English (written 1611), when spelling fit pronunciation much more so than today.

At least my spelling isn't as absurd and incomprehendable as whoever wrote Cheesemeister's quote!

ethelred

Square2005 said:
I'm not hte first and neither is Mark Twain to suggest this: Benjamin Franklin and Noah Webster plus many others have all attempted some kind of spelling reformation. This has been an issue since the 17th Century as vernacular pronunciations moved further away from the King James Bible's English (written 1611), when spelling fit pronunciation much more so than today.

You're really not on the level of any of these people.

Mark Twain, Ben Franklin, and Noah Webster were incredibly influential and historically relevant people who had a profound impact on the development of the national culture and who penned notable works that are remembered for their linguistic mastery and power; you're a no one who has created your own fictional version of the English language and obsessively posts in your fantasy gobbledegook in order to argue about video games.

Please don't compare yourself to Mark Twain and Ben Franklin and please stop posting in your Poppinsese nonsense for the sake of garnering attention.

Square2005 said:
At least my spelling isn't as absurd...

Oh, but it is.

ethelred said:
You're really not on the level of any of these people.

Mark Twain, Ben Franklin, and Noah Webster were incredibly influential and historically relevant people who had a profound impact on the development of the national culture and who penned notable works that are remembered for their linguistic mastery and power; you're a no one who has created your own fictional version of the English language and obsessively posts in your fantasy gobbledegook in order to argue about video games.

Please don't compare yourself to Mark Twain and Ben Franklin and please stop posting in your Poppinsese nonsense for the sake of garnering attention.

Oh, but it is.
I'm not in anyway comparing myself w/ the above mentioned figures; where'd that come from?

You put me down pretty hard in that post. Uncalled for imo, and after I looked up and made available all those 16-BIT & 32-BIT RPG sales titles you requested from me! Otherwise you'd hafta rely on ioi's site for anything close to the real NPD nos. I gave you. Remember?

Axord

Square2005: If you're sick, you should take medicine.
Others: Naw...
Square2005: Well, doctors have said the same thing...
Others: Stop calling yourself a doctor!

Disclaimer: I'd hate it if a central authority tried to reform English.

While I don't agree Square should be posting in his "fixed" spelling, the general argument you guys use against him is almost just as annoying.

He's not trying to compare himself to Mark Twain and Benjamin Franklin in an attempt to boast or boost himself up, but rather give names of respected figures that agree with him that spelling could use reformation (I don't agree but whatever).

If he didn't use those names as a corroboration, you guys would attack him for saying he's the only one trying to fix spelling. When he does try to use respected figures as backup (in literature, it's kind of like a spinoff of Authoritative Quotation", you laugh at him.

Example:

Person 1: "I can see a day where everybody will be able to eat in the same restaurant without profiling"
Person 2: "Well that's a dumb idea, never going to happen."
Person 1: "Well I'm not the only one who saw a future like this. Martin Luther King, Caesar Chavez, Rosa Parks all saw a future where discrimination was gone"
Person 2: "So you're comparing yourself to those greats now?! How arrogant! You're a nobody compared to those people."
Person 1: "I wasn't saying I was as good as them, I was just trying to say there are other people who also tried to expre.."
Person 3: "Hey guys get a load of this guy! He thinks he's MLK or Rosa or as great as Caesar Chavez :lol :lol :lol "

Random Spectator: "LOL! What a loser. :lol :lol "
*Random Spectator #2 posts a dumb gif/jpg of Person 1 that mocks him*: ":lol :lol :lol "

It's lose lose when talking with some of you. Say one thing that's not normal or a piece of group think and you're jumped all over. Find a new way to be civilized in conversations without attacks all the time

Hey, look! A huge, distracting thing!

Predict the Zelda and DS sales and win a cookie.*

You don't really want me to mail you a cookie, do you?

It seems you were the only one who took it that way though ethelred. With the exception of random spectator CoolTrick...

I too don't care for the spelling, but you took that as a way to personally attack him and his means of justification which EVERYONE does (mentioning names that also attempted what you're doing).

If no-one tried anything, we'd have nothing.

Orlics

Square2005 said:

I kept teh "Qu" b/c it comes from Latin; it's an unwritten English rule you can't change the spelling of words from Latin (even tho it's a dead language) except the endings to fit with English grammar and a few other exceptions. If anyone's taken Latin they'll notice how similar the spelling is with the adopted English words. Also some spelling is meant to reflect its Old English spelling (A.D. 550-1066) in a few cases with vowels so I'd leave that unchanged (ie. some of the <ea> spellings as in 'dead' instead of 'ded') out of respect for our ancestors and the Romans :D. The French loans and some other foreign loan words need updating the most b/c their pronunciation conflicts with our spelling rules.

There are also derivational errors with our spelling as in 'island' the 's' was added in the 16th century (during a spelling reformation/renaissance at the time) b/c linguists believed it came from Latin which has as 's' but 'island' is a Germanic word and thus has always been in English. It was before spelt: 'Iland'. <There are many more errors such as this that need to be corrected, agreed?

At least my spelling isn't as absurd and incomprehendable as whoever wrote Cheesemeister's quote!

Cheesemeister's quote was a ****ing joke. It was never meant to be taken seriously.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Cheesemeister said:

Do we know how much they shipped? I say 80% of whatever they shipped, unless it's less than 150k shipped, in that case ~100% of shipped.

justchris

Ummm....I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the reason spelling reform won't work.

It's already happening. Anything that doesn't evolve, dies, and that includes languages. In 100 years I guarantee you most of these words I'm typing now will look strange to the forum trolls of that age.

LanceStern said:
So do gun threats at schools, and yet the people get arrested, expelled, tried etc.

Okay, I'm trying to be nice, but how is that even remotely comparable? Do you understand the point of law at all?

Fio

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c," "y" and "x"--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

To me, a portuguese native speaker that new spelling model is perfect, perfect. :lol

If I read this text like a portuguese normal text it would sound perfect understandable to you english speakers. Wonderful. Finally i'll be able to speak intricate sounds like 'th', 'gh' and say "With", "width", "witch", "which" as they weren't the same words. :D

Square2005 said:

Are you seriously saying that you're just going to spell words in whatever way YOU think they should be spelled?! Can you imagine if I came up to you and purposely started talking in some self-made dialect because I thought current spoken English wasn't "correct?" DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW RIDICULOUS THAT IS?

Let spelling reform happen naturally, the way it has for centuries, not by single people who decide the other hundreds of millions across the globe, including accomplished linguists, scholars and writers aren't doing it right.

Oh, and I can't believe THIS is what Media Create threads have come to :lol

justchris

I don't know why everyone is jumping on Square2005 anyway. It's not as if he said, "Hey, my new life's goal is to reform the English language. Everybody join me!" No, he saw something posted earlier in this thread, and admittedly he took the joke a little too seriously, but all he did was posit an alternative. Now, if he starts posting consistently in his own made up language, then you guys are free to crucify him to your hearts' content.

justchris said:
Ummm....I'm surprised that no one has yet mentioned the reason spelling reform won't work.

It's already happening. Anything that doesn't evolve, dies, and that includes languages. In 100 years I guarantee you most of these words I'm typing now will look strange to the forum trolls of that age.

Sorry but I don't believe in evolution... except POkemans

D.Lo

So what happens if PH kills TP's sales? If it's a big enough hit in Japan, and still sells well overseas too? Will the next console Zelda be cell shaded again?

Oh gawd I can dream!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
D.Lo said:
So what happens if PH kills TP's sales? If it's a big enough hit in Japan, and still sells well overseas too? Will the next console Zelda be cell shaded again?

Judging by the fact that the deciding factor for Nintendo seems to be Japanese sales, I would say yes, sadly.

I don't mind really, and would actually encourage it for the entirety of the Wii lifespan, but I hope they don't completely forget about doing another TP-esque Zelda in 6 years.

nli10

Cheesemeister said:

I'd settle for a GIF of a jaffa cake :D

I think my original 200k is going to be too low by the reports coming in, so I'm going to up my estimation to 320k and 2.5 million in the first year.

LanceStern said:
Sorry but I don't believe in evolution... except POkemans

Now that's a whole other crazy ass derailment...

Oblivion said:
Judging by the fact that the deciding factor for Nintendo seems to be Japanese sales, I would say yes, sadly.

I don't mind really, and would actually encourage it for the entirety of the Wii lifespan, but I hope they don't completely forget about doing another TP-esque Zelda in 6 years.

Personally if PH out sells WW they have proved that cartoon Zelda sells on the handheld and not on the home console. They would be smart to keep realistic fantasy on the powerhouse machines and then cartoon graphics on the DS. I will likely buy both.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Cheesemeister said:

Just for this week? ok,

Zelda, 343,627
DS: 246,824

There, and I do want you to mail me a cookie if I win, choc chip, no doubt.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Stop It said:
Just for this week? ok,

Zelda, 343,627
DS: 246,824

There, and I do want you to mail me a cookie if I win, choc chip, no doubt.
Did you see Jonnyram's post?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
starship said:
Stealth edit FTL.
I saw that it was 143,627

How the hell did you see that? it never existed, even your quote shown the correct figure, it was all in your mind, heh.

Ok, so I did a quick edit once I realised that the shipment figures were way higher than I thought (I was going by around a 200k shipment), I thought I was quick enough to avoid being caught, but hey, I wasn't, silly me

D.Lo said:

Why comparing a game with 17mln userbase and another one which was on starting line-up?

2,6mln Wii and 500k for Zelda TP i think it's a good result...

donny2112

justchris said:
Now, if he starts posting consistently in his own made up language, then you guys are free to crucify him to your hearts' content.

He's been doing this for many months. It has exploded like this a couple of times before.

jarrod

Banned
Moor-Angol said:
Why comparing a game with 17mln userbase and another one which was on starting line-up?

2,6mln Wii and 500k for Zelda TP i think it's a good result...
TP was also multiplatform... as the GC version was direct sale only in Japan, we really have no idea how well it sold overall. Could be 700k+ total for all we know really... hopefully we get some shipment data from Nintendo eventually.

Rocksteady33

Why exactly is Zelda such a big seller on the DS? I mean people always backed up criticism to Twilight Princess sales by saying "Zelda isn't that big in Japan." And now Phantom Hourglass is the next non-game? How does that work (other then the fact that the DS hardware is a hurricane in force)

DarkMehm

jarrod said:
TP was also multiplatform... as the GC version was direct sale only in Japan, we really have no idea how well it sold overall. Could be 700k+ total for all we know really... hopefully we get some shipment data from Nintendo eventually.

I think I saw in an pdf document something like 40 or 50k for the Cube version.

Evlar

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
Why exactly is Zelda such a big seller on the DS? I mean people always backed up criticism to Twilight Princess sales by saying "Zelda isn't that big in Japan." And now Phantom Hourglass is the next non-game? How does that work (other then the fact that the DS hardware is a hurricane in force)
Maybe Japan has decided it likes Celda? I think "cuz it's on DS" is the most likely explanation at the moment.

Saitou

Banned
For comparison's sake, Minish Cap's LTD is about ~300k.

PH may destroy that in a single weekend.

I am become DS, destroyer of worlds.

Top Bottom