• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 6/11 - 6/17

Vinnk

schuelma said:
Thanks- exactly what I wanted to know. If you don't mind, when it gets closer to release, any further little tidbits would be greatly appreciated.

Sure. I'll check it weekly and report if there is something interesting.

Durante

Square2005 said:
COMG! Store sales: 6/18-6/24
Code:
[PS2]Manatemia Loyal Alchemy Schooler (Standard Ed) - 70
Still translating...
Could use some help...
That's Mana-Khemia: School of Alchemists. And it beat Observation Training on that list. Yay for gaming I guess.

Flakster99

Thanks Vinnk. It was mentioned a few times back in these threads, not this one in particular, that the DS sells most of it's shipment during the weekend. What is your opinion on this, Vinnk, or anyone else in Japan.

Rlan said:
Incidentily, this is the Minish Cap sales initially:

November 1 - 7, 2004
1) 96,981 - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
November 8 - 14, 2004
4) 31,098 - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)
November 15 - 21, 2004
9) 14,352 - The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (GBA)

And here's COMG!net's sales for Minish Cap those same weeks:
11/1/04 - 236
11/8/04 - 81
11/15/04 - 37

Someone do the math and find the differences b/w COMG & m-c during those weeks so we can come up with (possibly) an accurate figure for Zelda's debue...

Link

The Autumn Wind
Square2005 said:
11/1/04 - 236
11/8/04 - 81
11/15/04 - 37

Someone do the math and find the differences b/w COMG & m-c during those weeks so we can come up with (possibly) an accurate figure for Zelda's debue...
Assuming the percentage will be the same (which it won't), it would be about 190,675.

Jonnyram said:
There is not a strong correlation between COMG and nationwide numbers.

Well it's about 411x for the dabuing week of Minish Cap so that could put Zelda DS at ~190,000. Seems reasonable.

Meier

Square2005 said:
11/1/04 - 236
11/8/04 - 81
11/15/04 - 37

If by some odd chance there were an exact correlation, the sales would be 190,675 based off the previous title. Did Minish Cap come out on a Saturday though?

Meier said:
If by some odd chance there were an exact correlation, the sales would be 190,675 based off the previous title. Did Minish Cap come out on a Saturday though?
No, GAMEfaqs has it's release on Thursday(!?). Why would that matter?

lupin23rd

Square2005 said:
COMG! Store sales: 6/18-6/24
Code:
[NDS]Zelda: Fantasy Hourglass - 464
[NDS]Itadaki Street DS - 180
[PS2]Growlanser6 Pre-carry mortar World - 116
[PS2]Mana-Khemia: School of Alchemists (Standard Ed) - 70
[NDS]Observational DS Training - 51
[NDS]Joining the Border Teacher  Crow forest ?Mysterious Story - 47
[PS2]??Pachinko???SeriesVol.10 CR???Evangelion ?????? - 40
[Wii]WiiSports - 38
[Xbox360]Saints Row - 35
[PS3]FolksSoul ?????? - 32
[NDS]New Super Mario Brozzahs - 31
[Wii]Hajime No Ippo - 31
[PS3]NINJA GAIDEN ? - 27
[PS2]Summon Night4 - 26
[NDS]More Brain Training - 26
[PSP]Final Fantasy 2(PSP) - 25
[NDS]Mario Kart DS - 23
[Wii]Wii Play Pack - 23
[NDS]Yoshi Island DS - 22
[NDS]Original Brain Training - 20
Still translating...
Could use some help...

Sigma still going strong, and Trusty Bell is gone. Now we know which one will have legs! :D

m

Vinnk

Flakster99 said:
Thanks Vinnk. It was mentioned a few times back in these threads, not this one in particular, that the DS sells most of it's shipment during the weekend. What is your opinion on this, Vinnk, or anyone else in Japan.

Yeah, they sell a lot better on weekends. That's when the casual audiance goes shopping for games. But I was out shopping yesterday and there were still plenty. I few weeks back they would be sold out any day you went. Still, as the numbers show they are selling extreamly well. I don't think anyone should be dissapointed that Nintendo is finally making enough.

Vinnk

Square2005 said:
Did anyone see any ques/lines Saturday? Anyone in Japan?

No lines for me. But lines are rare in small towns. The only times I have ever seen lines were for the launch of the Wii and the launch of the DS lite (and they were not long lines). The launch of the PSP, DS phat and PS3 had no lines.

There were still copies of Zelda on shelves yesterday (Sun).

apotema

The problem is that if there were lines this weekend, they were not just because of Zelda, but also for the new DS colors

Brak

Square2005 said:
Well it's about 411x for the dabuing week of Minish Cap so that could put Zelda DS at ~190,000. Seems reasonable.
debut. debuting.

I know it looks stupid, but it's french.

The Xbox360 coming within a range of 2.000 units of the PlayStation3 in terms of weekly hardware sales in Japan is, of course, a momentary blip in the sales figures, spurred by the release of a single game and the fact that Sony is considering a price drop (which would cause wiser buyers to hold off on that purchase).

However, this must nevertheless be seen as more bad news for Sony. Investors, publishers and studios alike will see the Xbox360 closing the gap so significantly in Japan as another landmark in Sony´s fall from grace.

Square2005 said:

I'll have to agree with Brak on this one.

Anonymous said:
A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be replased either by "k" or "s," and likewise "x" would no longer be part of the alphabet. The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation, which will be dealt with later. Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and Iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with Iear 5 doing awai with useless double konsonants, and Iears 6-12 or so modifaiing vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants. Bai Iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant letez "c," "y" and "x"--bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

You also have to factor in Itadaki Street is also a huge title (Mario + Dragon Quest characters) and got very high reviews from Famitsu as well. So Zelda isn't the only big gun debuting this week for the DS.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Cheesemeister said:

I'll have to agree with Brak on this one.

Wow, I read the last line before reading the explanation above, and bar a couple of words I had to really look at, I read it without reouble, strange (Even stranger as I'm dyslexic and usually new/confusingly long and obtuse words trouble me)

I read the whole thing fine up until this part
ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl, kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.
That is where it all stopped making sense.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
BlackNMild2k1 said:
I read the whole thing fine up until this part

ould doderez--tu riplais "ch," "sh," and "th" rispektivli.

That is where it all stopped making sense.

Old dodderers, to replace "ch," "sh," and "th" respectively.

Finally, then after some 20 years of orthographical reform, we would have a logical coherent spelling in use throughout the english speaking world.

donny2112

sphinx said:
how can we possibily not have first day sales data for the DS stuff that came out on saturday??

Because it came out on Saturday? Thursday first day sales have a well-defined pipeline, and the following day is during the work week. Neither of those apply to Saturday launches, though.

Vinnk

I think Zelda will definately sell well. But it dosn't seem like it's going to be a major earth shattering title. I could of course be very wrong, but there were still a few copies in my town yeasterday. This means one of 2 things:

1. Nintendo actually shipped a ton of copies on day 1.
2. Demand is not as high as some people hope.

I'd really like to know how this game is selling in the big cities, but I havn't heard any reports yet.

I do know people in my city who have bought it, and they absolutely love it.

Anyone know the numbers shiped for this game?

Deku

Banned
It's option 2. Zelda was not a huge franchise at the best of times, and the sales of last console Zelda (in Japan) disappointed even Nintendo.

That said it will easily do 100k + its first week I'm sure.

Deku said:
It's option 2. Zelda was not a huge franchise at the best of times, and the sales of last console Zelda (in Japan) disappointed even Nintendo.

That said it will easily do 100k + its first week I'm sure.

Now when I said that when it first launched, people cussed me out :(

I'm sure Zelda PH will have a great first week (150k). Hopefully it has legs moreso than GBA or TP. I think it can reach at least 350k

Vinnk

The title might have some surprising legs though. It's one of those games that you don't "get" until you have tried it. That is also the focus of Nintendo's Japanese ads for the game, showing how it works. But as frinds show frineds and people get a taste of it in action, sales might come in. That is what hapened with Brain Training. People didn't get the point until a friend put it in their hand and said "try this". I am not saying Zelda will be a brain training (that has a much larger pool to draw users from), but it might be a moderate hit.

That said, it is hard to predict anything with the DS, that system has surprised me so many times already.

nli10

Vinnk said:
The title might have some surprising legs though. It's one of those games that you don't "get" until you have tried it. That is also the focus of Nintendo's Japanese ads for the game, showing how it works. But as friends show friends and people get a taste of it in action, sales might come in. That is what hapened with Brain Training. People didn't get the point until a friend put it in their hand and said "try this". I am not saying Zelda will be a brain training (that has a much larger pool to draw users from), but it might be a moderate hit.

That said, it is hard to predict anything with the DS, that system has surprised me so many times already.

Pretty sure that Nintendo are going to target Zelda as a 'crossover' title - that is to say aiming at the lapsed (Post-hardcore) gamers primarily, but encouraging non-gamers to try it out and pick it up similar to the NSMB effect. Naturally 90% of First Week Sales are the current/hard-core gamers who usually buy titles in the first week of release, especially in Japan.

Expect adverts and promotions for Zelda throughout the summer and up to the holiday season if my assumption is correct. I'm thinking first week sales of 150k and first year sales of 2 million (compared to NSMBs 4.5m)

Cheesemeister said:
Spelling reform is parodied in "A Plan for the Improvement of English Spelling", which is variously attributed to Mark Twain, who was actually a supporter of reform, and to M J Shields.

I oppose spelling reform on technically non-linguistic grounds. I used to be a linguist (well, radio interceptor/transcriber/translator), and having studied several languages, I did some thinking about language and its effect on how people think. After doing a little poking around, I found out that (of course) I was far from the first person to wonder about this. It's been researched and debated quite a bit.

Simply put, language provides structure to your mind. Complex language encourages advanced thought. Spelling is a part of that. I hate to sound too Brain Training-ish, but your mind does in fact work like a muscle. The more you work it out, the better it works. Take away the intricacies of language, and you'll end up with people who can't deal with such intricacies.

Axord

Leondexter said:
Complex language encourages advanced thought. Spelling is a part of that.
The problem with spelling is not exactly the complexity level, but the inconsistency. It could be argued that this leads to inconsistent thought, not advanced thought.

Regardless, I think the effect is minimal.

Edit: No, wait, I take that "minimal" comment back.

A much better measure of complexity would be vocabulary, I think. Inconsistent, mongrel spelling schemes reduce the uptake of new words because of the difficulty of connecting a heard word with the written version and vice versa. If you instantly know how a word is spelled and sounds, the usefulness of new words would be more apparent.

Then again, this too could have only a minimal impact.

I've come up with a spelling reformation that still looks like English and retains Latin spelling and fixes the French and wildly unusual spelling of some words. It's not totally phonetic but it's readable and follows English spelling rules more regularly. Take the above "anonymous" statement from Cheesemeister and this is how I would spell it:
A Better Plan for the Impruvement ov Inglish Spelling

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "" wood be droppt to be replaced either by "" or "" and likewise "" wood no longer be part ov the alphabet. The oanly case in which "" wood be retaind wood be the "" formation, which will be delt with later. Year 2 mite reform "" spelling, so that "which" and "one" wood take the same consonant, wile Year 3 mite well abolish "" replacing it with "" and Year 4 mite fix the "" anomally wunce and for all.

Generally, then, the impruvement wood continue year by year with Year 5 duing away with useless dubble consonants, and Years 6-12 or so modifying vowels and the remaining voiced and unvoiced consonants. By Year 15 or so, it wood finally be possible to make use ov the redundant letters "" "" and ""--by now just a memory in the minds ov old dodgers--to replace "" "" and "" respectivly.

Finally, then, after som 20 years ov orthographical reform, we wood hav a logical, coherent spelling in use thru-out the Inglish-speeking wurld.

Now is my spelling reformation so difficult to read?
It dusn't hafta be so radical that Inglish spelling loozes its bewty and becoms unrecognizable.

Square2005 said:
I've come up with a spelling reformation that still looks like English and retains Latin spelling and fixes the French and wildly unusual spelling of some words. It's not totally phonetic but it's readable and follows English spelling rules more regularly. Take the above "anonymous" statement from Cheesemeister and this is how I would spell it:

It dusn't hafta be so radical that Inglish spelling loozes its bewty and becoms unrecognizable.
I will consume your heart if you hurt English that way ever again.

A question, Square2005. If you're simplifying spelling, is there any reason to keep the q around? Wouldn't it be simpler to be Skuare2005 and have one less letter to worry about?

apujanata

JoshuaJSlone said:
A question, Square2005. If you're simplifying spelling, is there any reason to keep the q around? Wouldn't it be simpler to be Skuare2005 and have one less letter to worry about?

How about just the skuare symbol from PS2's button ? It is even simpler, to combine symbol to represent words / idea (like kanji)

Square2005 said:

Yeah, that's damn ugly. Damn, damn ugly. Not only that, but by spelling things phonetically, you lose the distinction between many important homophones. For example, wood/would and mite/might. Would might beat wood mites in a fight?

If I were a mod, I'd ask you to leave until you felt like spelling properly. But, we've bin over this before. [sic] =/

Thoren

Banned
Square2005 said:

Square2005 said:
Yeah thanks; I've fixt it.

Reading your posts is like having a dentist drill holes into my teeth. My god, just type normally. Is one letter for "fixed" really going to save you that much time? Do us all a favor and type in the English language, I'm begging you.

You don't dictate the course of our written language by typing like a fool on an internet message board about video games.

Top Bottom