• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 9/10-9/16 2007

VOOK said:
Stealth editing another good tact too?

...By any chance, is english not your first language?

Anyway, I stealth edited to deal with your own stealth edit, which made your overall sentence a lot clearer.

EDIT: And then you did it again.

sphinx

the piano man
"tabris", as an entity, is a trap and people are falling for it.

and I am seeing some GAF veterans down there, I'd though you guys would know better by now.

Steroyd

Whoa what Ga-Ga land is this?

Is Japan just a Handheld centric market now or is the wii just going through a blip.

The wii in America went into ascendancy, I thought the opposite would happen TBH.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Pureauthor said:
...By any chance, is english not your first language?

Anyway, I stealth edited to deal with your own stealth edit, which made your overall sentence a lot clearer.

EDIT: And then you did it again.

And now you have confused me, it's GAF not a novel >_>

sphinx

the piano man
speedpop said:
It's been turning into a handheld dominant gaming industry for awhile and wouldn't surprise me in the least if the consoles don't break away and become the leaders. I've got more DS games than any other console I've ever owned, a statistic I laughed madly at with my girlfriend and even she joined in the riot stating that she's only ever owned DS games.

It's not more so that I can pick up and play the DS on the public transport or in between shifts at work (something of which I haven't done either with), but it's more about being able to kick back on the futon, on the lounge, on the bed, and race around a maze running away from that monstrous FOE. That and my uneven nightly ritual of playing through Phoenix Wright before I fall asleep.

As for the PSP rise (and eventual Icarus style fall from grace next week or the week after), it's great to see Tabris try and shoot himself in the foot more than once again instead of joining in to shit out his few silly sentences and fuck off.

unless you are willing to sacrifice 2 months of your life, stay the hell away from that game....

sphinx said:
unless you are willing to sacrifice 2 months of your life, stay the hell away from that game....

I would think that any USD 30 investment that allowed you to get 2 months worth of solid quality gaming out of it would be a guaranteed buy.

Steroyd said:
Whoa what Ga-Ga land is this?

Is Japan just a Handheld centric market now or is the wii just going through a blip.

The wii in America went into ascendancy, I thought the opposite would happen TBH.

The Wii is a blip. MGS4 will change things

sphinx

the piano man
Pureauthor said:
I would think that any USD 30 investment that allowed you to get 2 months worth of solid quality gaming out of it would be a guaranteed buy.

but what about life, friends, food, sleep...

:(

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Steroyd said:
Too soon to really justify any reasoning behind why the Wii dropped like a stone. People will say it's a quiet time of the year, and effectively it is due to the fact that in between Oct and Dec is where the big software comes. Most gamers save up for those releases, every other normal person only buys a system based on game releases that they see and enjoy - see PSP & FFVII:CC.

I'd say give the JP market another month or so and see how it all pans out. We've still got Mario Galaxy (will it do the same amount as NSMB? who knows) and the behemoth that is Smash Bros. Brawl (which I think will be the best selling software for the Wii). As for the PS3, the only thing it has is GT5: Prologue which might create a bit of a stir.. but overall the end of the year will be very interesting.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Tabris said:
OK, maybe doing horrible is the wrong word for the DS (great word for the Wii) but a decline in sales by quite a bit from their previous consistently strong sales. That can all be agreed on, correct?

Okay, joke character or not, the fact is there shouldn't be "joke characters". That's insanely stupid.

So assuming you actually believe what you say, I'm going to point out a simple fact: Wii is not doing horrible. End of story.

Mariah Carey said:
I'm still waiting for "Pokemon Penis and Vagina" myself.
wiimcavatar.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
For those saying its a handheld future, just one word of caution- based on Josh's comparisons, the Wii is tracking ahead of the DS and PSP.

Just sayin..let's see how Nintendo's software this Holiday changes things (or doesn't, who knows).

Steroyd said:
Both. Japan has been handheld-centric since late 2005... well, even earlier really. DS really took off in late 2005, but ever since it's 2004 launch there hasn't been a single week where home consoles have outsold handhelds.

It's not so much Wii's blip that makes it look even moreso this week (since DS is blipping too), but the PSP's upward blip. Even then, home consoles still accounted for more than 23.4% of total hardware sales this week; only a handful of weeks in 2006 were higher than that.

Jiggy

JoshuaJSlone said:
Both. Japan has been handheld-centric since late 2005... well, even earlier really. DS really took off in late 2005, but ever since it's 2004 launch there hasn't been a single week where home consoles have outsold handhelds.
Fun statistic, and man does it ever make me happy. :D Portable gaming future FTW--with standardized TV out from now on too, I hope.

schuelma said:
For those saying its a handheld future, just one word of caution- based on Josh's comparisons, the Wii is tracking ahead of the DS and PSP.

Just sayin..let's see how Nintendo's software this Holiday changes things (or doesn't, who knows).

Trending higher isn't especially relevant for two reasons:

1) DS still will have the far higher install base for a long amount of time.

2) DS will likely have a longer lifespan, as Nintendo will milk the handheld until it's dead. On the home console front, Microsoft and Sony won't give Nintendo the leeway to do the same with the Wii.

schuelma

Pureauthor said:
Trending higher isn't especially relevant for two reasons:

1) DS still will have the far higher install base for a long amount of time.

2) DS will likely have a longer lifespan, as Nintendo will milk the handheld until it's dead. On the home console front, Microsoft and Sony won't give Nintendo to do the same with the Wii.

I guess my point is that its still possible for the Wii to explode like the DS and really sell incredibly well, thus preventing some sort of all handheld future.

Jiggy37 said:
Fun statistic, and man does it ever make me happy. :D Portable gaming future FTW--with standardized TV out from now on too, I hope.

Wouldn't TV out just blow up the resolution and make everything a pixellated mess?

jarrod said:
A hypothetical FFVII-2 DS would move like 2 million 1st week if there was enough supply. Quit kidding yourself. :lol

2 million "fans" act like they have completely forgotten the hypes and images created by FF7:AC, CCFF7 and stuff, and buy a crappy PS1-age port with little to no improvements, in just the first week alone? Cut the craps :lol

Grampasso said:
So how much do you think DQIX will sell on DS? Just to be curious... given the success of its last iteration (3,5+M) on a Sony console it should sell something like less than 1 million (basing this on the proportion "the more a franchise sells on a Sony console, the less it will sell on a Nintendo one").

3.5-4M, not surprised if it will be more

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean a game born or with the last iteration created on a certain brand console is always best suited to stay there. I merely mean there is always a most suitable platform for a certain game due to the tech specs, image, target audience and such provided by the platform (sometimes there are differences whether it's from the gamer's, developer's or publisher's perspective though). In the case of FF7, and in the case of portable platforms alone, PSP is undoubtedly the best.

Jiggy

Pureauthor said:
Wouldn't TV out just blow up the resolution and make everything a pixellated mess?
I... actually don't know from experience, yet.
I'll be testing out PSP-2000's capabilities soon enough, though, once the standalone is released. Haven't seen many GAF impressions about it yet. I don't remember people having much trouble with the Game Boy Player or Super Game Boy, though, so I'm holding out hope that things will work out decently enough.

Oops, I fouled up. There are not zero, not one, but two weeks since DS launch where home consoles outsold portables.

Week of November 27, 2006, Wii launch week
Home consoles: 409,074
Portables: 203,804

Week of January 8, 2007, Wii outsells a constrained DS
Home consoles: 151,548
Portables: 141,717

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
we're hitting weird times in Japan now.

Wii is only outselling PS3 2:1 now

PSP outsells DS by a good margin.

Sony is actually ahead total hardware this week.

schuelma said:
I guess my point is that its still possible for the Wii to explode like the DS and really sell incredibly well, thus preventing some sort of all handheld future.
I don't know about that, simply because of the nature of the product. The Wii is tailored to the household while the DS is tailored to the individual.

Didn't Iwata once say something about wanting a Wii in every home and a DS for every person? A household needs only one Wii whereas it might have several DS units. I think that the DS will always have a substantially higher install base, even if Nintendo achieve their goal of a Wii in every household.

I personally would love for handhelds and consoles to eventually converge (a powerful handheld with TV out, for example). I wonder if console manufacturers would let that happen, however.

schuelma

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
I don't know about that, simply because of the nature of the product. The Wii is tailored to the household while the DS is tailored to the individual.

Didn't Iwata once say something about wanting a Wii in every home and a DS for every person? A household needs only one Wii whereas it might have several DS units. I think that the DS will always have a substantially higher install base, even if Nintendo achieve their goal of a Wii in every household.

That is a good point, but I can at least see the Wii conceivably reaching PS2 levels therefore providing a viable alternative to handheld development. Point taken though.

davepoobond said:
Sony is actually ahead total hardware this week.
Good note. The last time that happened was the week of February 6, 2006. That's the week when DS supply rock-bottomed at 10K shortly before introduction of the Lite.

Raw64life said:
PSP 95,487
DSL 79,974
Wii 26,181
PS2 13,128
PS3 13,101
Xbox360 1,243
GBM 714
GBASP 122
GC 97
DS 15
GBA 0

DS made better then epected and PSP did slighty worse. Wii is a lot down, but I doubt that next week will be worse. This should be the inferior limit.

Izzy

Banned
Pureauthor said:

No, Jeanne D'Arc, for example, looks beautiful. And that's on a current gen handheld (PSP).

We've just got used to massive numbers for the DS and Wii.

Wasn't 25-30K used to be the average for the PS2??

Anyway forget about waiting for WiiFit..... Waittil Wii Music!

Although i am scaed that Galaxy, Smash and WiiFit in the next 3 months is gonna make Japan bend over, take it hard and beg for mercy!!

k79

Banned
Raw64life said:
Hardware:

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |        LTD
1. PSP   -    95,487 |    15,564 |  6,012,846
2. NDS   -    79,974 |    77,488 | 19,352,657
3. WII   -    26,181 |    29,088 |  3,565,062
4. PS2   -    13,128 |    13,360 | 20,727,421
5. PS3   -    13,101 |    13,248 |  1,145,829
6. 360   -     1,243 |    1,286  |    408,589
7. GBA   -       836 |    550    | 15,345,235
8. NGC   -        97 |    82     |  4,179,112

Holy crap PSP :O

Crisis Core revived the psp sales (for now).Take note Square, dump more rpgs on PSP and announce that damn ff7 remake already.It's gonna sell PS3s and you know it :lol

Oh and wow @ Wii, those are some mediocre sales :|

k79 said:

Crisis Core revived the psp sales (for now).Take note Square, dump more rpgs on PSP and announce that damn ff7 remake already.It's gonna sell PS3s and you know it :lol

Yes Wii sales are mediocre. So mediocre infact it gets outsold by everythng else........... Wait NO it didn't its sales have more than halfed over the last few weeks, yet it stil outsells its rivals 2:1........ Very Mediocre!!!

Laguna

Banned
Yes I agree. Square wants other companys to win console wars and not make as much money as possible. Where are you living?

k79

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Yes Wii sales are mediocre. So mediocre infact it gets outsold by everythng else........... Wait NO it didn't its sales have more than halfed over the last few weeks, yet it stil outsells its rivals 2:1........ Very Mediocre!!!

It's sales have more than halfed over the last few weeks just like you said.For Wii standards these are mediocre sales.I wasnt comparing to other consoles.

And even if i would, Wii used to outsell its rivals (namely ps3) 4:1 - 6:1.So in that perspective its mediocre as well.

But please continue beeing ignorant about the facts!

Ristlager

Don't know if this has been asked or said eariler in this thread, but is this the first time in ages that the playstation family has outsold the nintendo family??

k79 said:
It's sales have more than halfed over the last few weeks just like you said.For Wii standards these are mediocre sales.I wasnt comparing to other consoles.

And even if i would, Wii used to outsell its rivals (namely ps3) 4:1 - 6:1.So in that perspective its mediocre as well.

But please continue beeing ignorant about the facts!

Okay Wii sales are mediocre compared to.............Wii Sales...........

So PS3 and 360 sales are what>>????

Also the reason Wii sales have halved is down to NO games releasing for it during this time frame.
When Mario, Smash and Fit release and Wii sales go back up and probably beyond what they were a few weeks ago, what will Wii sales be then, and how will PS3 sales compare then.

I have a strange TAG, but i put it down to a USA>UK not getting it, and tagging me.
Whereas your comment above was just TOTALLY RETARDED

schuelma

So I was looking at the Media Create threads from the last 5-6 weeks..unless I missed something, did nothing significant get released for Wii in the last 6 or 7 weeks?

When you have sold 8.1 millions console on a total of 10.9 millions in this fiscal year, and both are records, I doubt Nintendo is worried for 2-3 weeks.

AnimeTheme said:
Mario Party

Is Mario Party 8 the best selling one of the franchise in Japan ?

Laguna said:
Yes I agree. Square wants other companys to win console wars and not make as much money as possible. Where are you living?

That's interesting: so tat their exclusivities are payed a lot more, because both concurrents need them. Well, this would be logic, unless we're speaking about Nintendo who has proved widely to be profitable even without Third Party support.

Grampasso

k79 said:

Holy crap at what, exactly? In a week where the Slim version was launched together with one of the most anticipated game for the machine? Honestly I don't think such a bump is that good. I thought it could move much more hardware numbers that this.

Tabris said:
Wii and DS sales are horrible, a trend I hope continues continuely to even the market and lessen the non-game trend.

So while I thought this week was going to be ps3 ffvii remake week to place ps3 into a position where it can start getting great buzz to start selling some more consoles, I will settle with PSP selling very well and changing the direction (or as you would say, the tide) and ratios of the handheld market. This is a trend that will continue, especially with the PSP Lite.

PS3 Spring 2008 is where the buzz will be and where you will get announcements like FFVII remake. It's probabaly too early for that right now, but expect 2008 to be the year where PS3 starts breaking the 50k/weekly mark and gets on the path to pass the Wii.

Crisis Core is doing great of course and will sell 1 million copies in under 3 months.

All in all, the future is looking good for the good guys!
You must be a joke character but I still found this hilarious. JJS to the rescue:

JoshuaJSlone said:
At this week's rates, PSP catches up to DS in 860.7 weeks (March 16, 2024) at ~88.2 million apiece. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this rate, it would catch up in 139.7 weeks (May 21, 2010).

If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 184.7 weeks (April 1, 2011).
Of course you said that PS3 would sell 50.000 per week in 2008 but even if we consider this a viable assumption it would still have to sell way more than Wii per week to catch up with it.

As for CC doing a million in under 3 months I doubt it but it's not as insane as the other predictions.

Sage00 said:
We live in a world where a $600 machine selling 4 MILLION is considered a "massive failure".
I never understood this argument. "It's selling good at it's price-point". What does that even mean? That it has room to grow once the price drops? That's a given for every console out there, even the comparatively low-priced Wii.

At the end of the day PS3 as PS2's successor (the clear cut winner of the last generation of consoles) performs worse than it's competitors. Assuming PS3 ends up last in this console-cycle with 20 mill or so sold, would you still say it wasn't a massive failure even if it would still be priced 300,- at the end?

Ether_Snake said:
I predict: Wii Fit will crash even in Japan.
Why "even". I'd say the bigger market for this will be the US and then Europe. Apart from that I don't think your prediction will come true.

edit:
Grampasso said:
Holy crap at what, exactly? In a week where the Slim version was launched together with one of the most anticipated game for the machine? Honestly I don't think such a bump is that good. I thought it could move much more hardware numbers that this.
The slim wasn't launched during last week. CC launched accompanied by a LE Slim bundle .77.777 CEs were made available. Honestly I'm suprised 17.710 PSP fat were sold.

Wether or not slim will have a positive effect on PSP hardware sales will only be seen in the long run though.

Top Bottom