• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

Road

Stopsign said:
Still no numbers? They are even later than normal.
They aren't...

Usually in about 40min.

I can't believe Famitsu is still on DQIX high and didn't care enough to provide MH3 numbers. Maybe all the different packages and such made it harder for them.

Road said:
They aren't...

Usually in about 40min.

I can't believe Famitsu is still on DQIX high and didn't care enough to provide MH3 numbers. Maybe all the different packages and such made it harder for them.

Possibly. To give an accurate picture, they'd have to track sales over four different SKUs (game+ console, game+white CCPro, game+black CCPro and standalone game) and perhaps it's harder to get an early figure for something like that.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Captain Smoker said:
From 2chan:

Monster Hunter 3: 583,000

Solid, solid numbers. Will probably be at or close to 800K after next week.

I think my predictions ranged from 500-600K so I think I did pretty well. :lol

cw_sasuke said:
Why even bump the thread then ? ;-)

I figured if I bumped the thread they would come faster... and it looks like I was right. :)

Edit: I was pretty damn close with my 550k prediction. Go me!

Edit #2: I think that puts it ahead of Taiko for the #1 Third Party Wii spot.

duckroll

Taiko is now the #1 third party Wii game, not MH3. Lol. I'm sure MH3 will that the place next week, but they didn't succeed in the first week!

schuelma

Sohter.Nura said:
I was expecting a little higher, but I guess that's not bad, is it? Is that better than the debuts for the PS2 versions?

I'm almost positive that's a higher LTD number than any of the PS2 versions.

Road

Necessary dumb question: does that include the Wii bundle?

I wanted it over 600k. Haha I'm more curious about the Wii hardware, though.

Thanks.

MGS4 is at 700k approximately.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sohter.Nura said:
I was expecting a little higher, but I guess that's not bad, is it? Is that better than the debuts for the PS2 versions?
Actually that's better than the lifetime sales of the PS2 versions. At least, not counting the best versions.

Edit:

From Garaph:

Monster Hunter 2: 570,651
Monster Hunter 2 Best: 121,354

test_account

XP-39C²
Taurus said:
What is the best selling home console 3rd party game in Japan? MGS4 propably, but how much?
MGS4 has sold about 690k - 700k or something in Japan if i am not mistaken.

EDIT: I see now that Road already answered this :)

Ydahs

Captain Smoker said:
From 2chan btw. sinobi:

Monster Hunter 3: 583,000

Solid! So, it's nearly sold more than any other console Monster Hunter already?

Ydahs said:
MH3 First day: 320k
First week: 570k
First month: 940k

Real close! Looks like the Wii might finally have a 3rd party million seller.

duckroll

MGS4 is at 686k (Enterbrain numbers for end of 2008), while Taiko Wii is now at 588k and MH3 is 583k. I doubt MGS4's record will survive this month, and it will slip further down by the rest of this year.

Taurus said:
What is the best selling home console 3rd party game in Japan? MGS4 propably, but how much?
1.) [PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4 - 705.772
2.) [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii - 588.273
3.) [WII] Monster Hunter 3 - 583.000
4.) [PS3] Yakuza 3 - 493.032
5.) [WII] Dragon Quest Swords - 489.112

schuelma

donny2112 said:
Wii sold 93K.

Expected higher, honestly. Wonder of many if the purchasers were actually already Wii owners?!?

What this proves to Japan publishers is that the Wii needs big-budget third party software...
Up until now companies just keep putting spin-offs and whatnot on the system, and they all flop. When you put a big name on the system, it sells pretty well :p

Road

schuelma said:
Expected higher, honestly. Wonder of many of the purchasers were actually already Wii owners?!?

Considering the weekly 20k average and that some may have already had a white Wii and went for the black one, the amount of people that didn't have a Wii and bought one this week because of MH3 is not so impressive.

S-E and Sony may not like this outcome.

Road said:
MH3 1st week - 620k;
Wii - 88k.
I think someone predicted 95k.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
From the top 10 it looks like very nice sales all around this week and a good start for MH3, outselling MH2 LTD in 2 days.

schuelma

Road said:
Considering the weekly 20k average and that some may have already had a white Wii and went for the black one, the amount of people that didn't have a Wii and bought one this week because of MH3 is not so impressive.

I think someone predicted 95k.

I think I predicted 100K but deep down I thought that was low. It's interesting though..the perception was clearly that there were not a lot of Wii owners that would get into Monster Hunter, yet, even with a new color the hardware bump wasn't really that impressive.

ksamedi

Sohter.Nura said:
What this proves to Japan publishers is that the Wii needs big-budget third party software...
Up until now companies just keep putting spin-offs and whatnot on the system, and they all flop. When you put a big name on the system, it sells pretty well :p

I think that's the general rule for every platform. The PSP had the same situation not too long ago but big software helped out other smaller software releases too. You have to build a a certain user base and momentum before you can sell smaller niche games.

Famitsu Sales: 07/27 - 08/02

WII: 93,000
DSi: 73,000
PSP: 33,000
DSL: 12,000
PS3: 8,100
PS2: 5,600
360: 2,600

01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) (Capcom) - 583,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix) - 172,000 / 3,390,230
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 78,000 / 484,000
04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 59,000 / 794,000
05. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 51,000 / NEW
06. [360] Gears of War 2 (Microsoft) - 48,000 / NEW
07. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software) - 38,000 / NEW
08. [PS2] CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Mono (D3 Publisher) - 38,000 / NEW
09. [PSP] To Heart 2 Portable (Aqua Plus) - 33,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji (Nintendo) - 26,000 / 66,000

11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 21,000 / 870,000
12. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Tenkuu no Senshi (Konami) - 20,000 / 76,000
13. [NDS] CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Mono (D3 Publisher) - 13,000 / NEW
14. [PS3] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore) - 13,000 / NEW
15. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 12,000 / 82,000
16. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 10,000 / 105,000
17. [NDS] Doki Majo Plus (SNK Playmore) - 9,400 / NEW
18. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 9,100 / 3,480,000
19. [PS2] Tsuyo Kiss 2 Gakki: Swift Love (Revolution) - 8,800 / NEW
20. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (SCE) - 8,100 / 110,000
21. [PS3] Katamari Forever (Bandai Namco) - 8,100 / 37,000
22. [PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Battle Orchestra Portable (Broccoli) - 7,100 / NEW
24. [PS2] Lucian Bee's: Resurrection Supernova (5pb.) - 6,500 / NEW
25. [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Nintendo) - 6,400 / 2,462,000
26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 2,295,000
27. [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Bandai Namco) - 5,500 / 17,000
28. [360] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore) - 5,500 / NEW
29. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 1,775,000
30. [NDS] Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami) - 5,300 / NEW

xx. [PS2] Nuga-Cel (Idea Factory) - 4,400 / NEW
xx. [WII] Kyoufu Taikan: Juon (AQ Interactive) - 4,000 / NEW
xx. [PS3] Top Spin 3 (Sega) - 1,600 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Saikin Koishiteru? (D3 Publisher) - 1,200 / NEW
xx. [360] Gears of War Twin Pack (Microsoft) - 1,100 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Kutsushita Nyonko: Kutsushita o Haita Neko to Kurashi Hajime Mashita (D3 Publisher) - 650 / NEW

Road said:

Why would these companies be concerned?

Frillen

duckroll said:
I think you missed it but we already got DQIX numbers from Enterbrain. Scroll up. :p

Wow, way higher than I expected then. For how many more weeks could it stay above 100k?

schuelma

Mr. Pointy said:
583k in 2 days right? Nice.

Yup. So next week's number should be a bit higher than a normal 2nd week.

Ydahs

Is the MH3 data two days of sales or four? Or are only DQ games released on a Saturday?

EDIT: nvm, answered above

Really impressive for two days.

Road

slaughterking said:
Why would these companies be concerned?
S-E not really, but Sony may be disappointed in knowing there's a high chance almost everyone that want FFXIII the first week already have a PS3, like what just happened with MH3.

duckroll

caligula13 said:
so it is confirmed after all: 3rd party games of real quality sell better on Wii than on PS3 in Japan

What is confirmed is that Monster Hunter 3 on Wii did a lot better than Monster Hunter 2 on PS2.

botticus

I don't believe we've heard any solid numbers on the number of black Wii bundles that were available or the sell-through, have we?

schuelma said:
I think I predicted 100K but deep down I thought that was low. It's interesting though..the perception was clearly that there were not a lot of Wii owners that would get into Monster Hunter, yet, even with a new color the hardware bump wasn't really that impressive.
Just goes to show, according to the Japanese, consoles are becoming second-rate handhelds even for something as popular as the Wii.

Top Bottom