• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

Road

Stopsign said:
Look at Joshua's analysis of second week sales on the last page. It should answer that.
If we take into account MHP2G only dropped 33% the second week (Were there shortages? Can't remember) having being launched on a Thursday, MH3 could have a really high 2nd week.

Let's see if that's when the portable x console thing will start to take effect.

duckroll

Road said:
S-E not really, but Sony may be disappointed in knowing there's a high chance almost everyone that want FFXIII the first week already have a PS3, like what just happened with MH3.

I don't really think any hardware manufacturer can really depend on ONE game to be some sort of system selling messiah. That's never how it works, and we all KNOW this, but yet people keep bringing it up. Big brand franchises for the core audience will always sell big, and there will obviously be a hardware bump for the week, but it's never amazing or game changing. I expect that with a good LE bundle, FF being a RPG series with crazy fans who love spending money will probably give the PS3 a decent boost, but again that should never be taken as a huge expansion of the actual user base, because there's no telling how many people are simply buying a second console because it looks cool enough to collect.

deleted

Mh, really good DQIX numbers, somewhat expected MHtri numbers(still really good!), but I would have bet to see the Wii over 100k this week.

cvxfreak

The hardware numbers are fine for this week. The game was announced nearly two years ago, and about 250K people were already accounted for with MHG. I'm more interested in the Wii HW baseline in the weeks to come since MH3 will be a long seller.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
I'm more interested in the Wii HW baseline in the weeks to come since MH3 will be a long seller.

This will be the interesting thing to me- is it going to behave like the typical front loaded blockbuster and not even double its first week, or is it going to show legs typical of the series on the PSP. You seem to think it will be more similar to the portable entries, correct?

duckroll

schuelma said:
This will be the interesting thing to me- is it going to behave like the typical front loaded blockbuster and not even double its first week, or is it going to show legs typical of the series on the PSP. You seem to think it will be more similar to the portable entries, correct?

It's somewhere in-between really. It's not expected to be insane like the portable entries, but it will have some legs. It's more of a multiplayer/collection-driven game than a story based game, and these titles always do well if good word of mouth over a longer period of time.

caligula13

Gold Member
Pureauthor said:
Okay. But now I am talking (typing) to you.

What does the performance of MGS4 have to do with Monster Hunter 3's performance?

i am just comparing the success of a big IP from a 3rd party on PS3 with one on Wii

schuelma

duckroll said:
It's somewhere in-between really. It's not expected to be insane like the portable entries, but it will have some legs. It's more of a multiplayer/collection-driven game than a story based game, and these titles always do well if good word of mouth over a longer period of time.

Good point.

Vinci

Danish
cvxfreak said:
The hardware numbers are fine for this week. The game was announced nearly two years ago, and about 250K people were already accounted for with MHG. I'm more interested in the Wii HW baseline in the weeks to come since MH3 will be a long seller.

I was actually thinking it would be close to 100k for the week though, so ... it's still a bit under that and I thought I was being conservative. Is there a chance that people bought the game and not a Wii for whatever reason? Or is it mostly just the fact that even the MH fanbase has access to Wii systems already?

Road

duckroll said:
I don't really think any hardware manufacturer can really depend on ONE game to be some sort of system selling messiah. That's never how it works, and we all KNOW this, but yet people keep bringing it up. Big brand franchises for the core audience will always sell big, and there will obviously be a hardware bump for the week, but it's never amazing or game changing. I expect that with a good LE bundle, FF being a RPG series with crazy fans who love spending money will probably give the PS3 a decent boost, but again that should never be taken as a huge expansion of the actual user base, because there's no telling how many people are simply buying a second console because it looks cool enough to collect.
I was definitely not playing the "Wait for..." card.

In light of the MH3 result I just think I should lower my FFXIII launch week hardware expectations for the PS3.

No analysis on its perennial effects. I agree with what you just said.

schuelma

Vinci said:
Or is it mostly just the fact that even the MH fanbase has access to Wii systems already?

That's what is a bit surprising to me. It's a great number for two days but I thought that a significant number of the buyers would not have Wii systems already. From the pure numbers, that doesn't seem to be the case. Or maybe they all bought used systems, I don't know.

duckroll

caligula13 said:
explain me why?

It's very simple. Not all games and brands are made alike, and comparing them directly to state a general overall point is ridiculous and unfounded. Metal Gear Solid is a series which has consistently sold 700-800k in Japan for all the 4 entries. There isn't much growth in the fanbase, mostly because it is largely story driven, and that alienates fans which did not pick up the earlier entries of the series.

Monster Hunter on the other hand, is an emerging IP in recent years, and really only caught on and started becoming massively popular at around the release of Monster Hunter Portable and Monster Hunter 2. Hence it is a growing brand, as evidenced by the larger and larger sales of each new PSP entry. It is not unusual at all to see this popularity make a jump in the sales between Monster Hunter 2 and Monster Hunter 3, we all expected this.

If anything, this proves that yes, the Wii is a viable platform for third party brands with good production values and good marketing. It does not prove that every single brand would automatically do better on the Wii, or that the PS3 is not able to get good sales for good third party efforts.

Road said:
I was definitely not playing the "Wait for..." card.

In light of the MH3 result I just think I should lower my FFXIII launch week hardware expectations for the PS3.

No analysis on its perennial effects. I agree with what you just said.

Oh I'm saying you are in particular. I'm just saying it's silly to realistically expect any one software to have a HUGE impact on the sales of a console. If anything, I was saying that hopefully Sony isn't playing the "Wait for..." card themselves, because that would reek of bad, bad business tactics. Oh wait, it's Sony... :(

Road

caligula13 said:
explain me why?
Because you're comparing a franchise whose last installment alone sold nearly 3.3 million with a franchise whose all installments on Garaph have sold a combined 3.8 million?

Duckroll was kind enough to properly explain.

Famitsu Sales: 07/27 - 08/02

WII: 93,000
DSi: 73,000
PSP: 33,000
DSL: 12,000
PS3: 8,100
PS2: 5,600
360: 2,600

01. [WII] Monster Hunter 3 (tri~) (Capcom) - 583,000 / NEW
02. [NDS] Dragon Quest IX (Square Enix) - 172,000 / 3,390,230
03. [NDS] Tomodachi Collection (Nintendo) - 78,000 / 484,000
04. [WII] Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo) - 59,000 / 794,000
05. [NDS] Puyo Puyo 7 (Sega) - 51,000 / NEW
06. [360] Gears of War 2 (Microsoft) - 48,000 / NEW
07. [PSP] Armored Core 3 Portable (From Software) - 38,000 / NEW
08. [PS2] CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Mono (D3 Publisher) - 38,000 / NEW
09. [PSP] To Heart 2 Portable (Aqua Plus) - 33,000 / NEW
10. [NDS] Okaeri! Chibi-Robo! Happy Richie Oosouji (Nintendo) - 26,000 / 66,000

11. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP the Best) (Capcom) - 21,000 / 870,000
12. [NDS] Penguin no Mondai: Tenkuu no Senshi (Konami) - 20,000 / 76,000
13. [NDS] CR Shinseiki Evangelion: Saigo no Mono (D3 Publisher) - 13,000 / NEW
14. [PS3] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore) - 13,000 / NEW
15. [PS2] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 12,000 / 82,000
16. [PS3] Pro Yakyuu Spirits 6 (Konami) - 10,000 / 105,000
17. [NDS] Doki Majo Plus (SNK Playmore) - 9,400 / NEW
18. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 9,100 / 3,480,000
19. [PS2] Tsuyo Kiss 2 Gakki: Swift Love (Revolution) - 8,800 / NEW
20. [PSP] Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 (SCE) - 8,100 / 110,000
21. [PS3] Katamari Forever (Bandai Namco) - 8,100 / 37,000
22. [PSP] Shinseiki Evangelion: Battle Orchestra Portable (Broccoli) - 7,100 / NEW
24. [PS2] Lucian Bee's: Resurrection Supernova (5pb.) - 6,500 / NEW
25. [NDS] Pokémon Platinum (Nintendo) - 6,400 / 2,462,000
26. [WII] Mario Kart Wii (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 2,295,000
27. [WII] Dragon Ball: Revenge of King Piccolo (Bandai Namco) - 5,500 / 17,000
28. [360] The King of Fighters XII (SNK Playmore) - 5,500 / NEW
29. [NDS] Rhythm Tengoku Gold (Nintendo) - 5,500 / 1,775,000
30. [NDS] Gokujou!! Mecha Mote Iinchou: Girls Motekawa Box (Konami) - 5,300 / NEW

xx. [PS2] Nuga-Cel (Idea Factory) - 4,400 / NEW
xx. [WII] Kyoufu Taikan: Juon (AQ Interactive) - 4,000 / NEW
xx. [PS3] Top Spin 3 (Sega) - 1,600 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Saikin Koishiteru? (D3 Publisher) - 1,200 / NEW
xx. [360] Gears of War Twin Pack (Microsoft) - 1,100 / NEW
xx. [NDS] Kutsushita Nyonko: Kutsushita o Haita Neko to Kurashi Hajime Mashita (D3 Publisher) - 650 / NEW

schuelma

Uhhh yeah.. Tomodachi Collection looks like a million seller to me.

Frillen

caligula13 said:
explain me why?

Well atleast not if we compared MH2 to MH3.

First of all, MGS4 is a completely different franshise and genre. Secondly, the Wii userbase is much bigger than the PS3 userbase. The Wii userbase is much more comparable to the PS2 userbase.

Sipowicz

Banned
i do think monster hunter sold a lot better than it would have on PS3

and it would have cost a lot less to make too + they can easily port it to PSP down the line

duckroll

Wow, I'm pretty surprised Gears of War 2 managed to sell 48k. That's pretty impressive considering the fact that the release is long overdue, and even rumored to not be coming at the time of the game's release in the US. Considering the US version was region free, and how some stores in Akiba don't seem to have any qualms about selling "UNCUT" 360 games imported from the US, I would have thought the super hardcore fanbase in Japan would all have the game already...

Sipowicz said:

and it would have cost a lot less to make too + they can easily port it to PSP down the line

Yes, I agree with this as well. I don't think MH3 would be able to do this well on the PS3 at all. But like I said, MH does not represent all other franchises.

Meier

Nice sales by Gears. If I recall, didn't Famitsu split up special editions, etc. before? Does this definitely include games bundled with the system?

Also, what the heck is Tomodachi/Friends Collection anyway? How/why is this game selling so well?

schuelma

Sipowicz said:

Ehh..I imagine it would have sold similarly. I do think it's true that as a cost benefit measure it probably did make more financial sense to put it on Wii (and then PSP).

onken

duckroll said:
Wow, I'm pretty surprised Gears of War 2 managed to sell 48k. That's pretty impressive considering the fact that the release is long overdue, and even rumored to not be coming at the time of the game's release in the US. Considering the US version was region free, and how some stores in Akiba don't seem to have any qualms about selling "UNCUT" 360 games imported from the US, I would have thought the super hardcore fanbase in Japan would all have the game already...

Well I guess not, considering the zero hardware bump.

schuelma said:
Ehh..I imagine it would have sold similarly. I do think it's true that as a cost benefit measure it probably did make more financial sense to put it on Wii (and then PSP).

I agree, if RGG can push almost 400k first week on PS3 then it's not so hard to imagine a Monster Hunter game doing at least 550k.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
DQIX should pass up DQVIII in MC next week.
I know that you edited your post, but out of curiousity, regarding what you wrote before you edited, why doesnt the PS3 need big third party games? (i think that is what you wrote at least) :)

Mr. Pointy said:
583k in 2 days right? Nice.
Ye, i think it is worth mentioning that Monster Hunter 3 first week's sales would probably have been higher if MH3 was released on a Thursday (which is a day that games in Japan usually are released on) compared to when MH3 was released on a Saturday as other people also have mentioned before me :)

caligula13 said:
so it is confirmed after all: 3rd party games of real quality sell better on Wii than on PS3 in Japan
Monster Hunter 3 did sell more than MGS4 in it's first week and both MH3 and MGS4 are 3rd party games, that is true, so in this way i guess you can say that it is confirmed that 3rd party games of real quality sells better on the Wii than on the PS3 in Japan. But, Monster Hunter and Metal Gear Solid are 2 different series, and the Monster Hunter serie seems to be more popular (at least when it comes to the handheld (PSP) Monster Hunter games) at the moment compared to the Metal Gear Solid serie, so it might be a chance that Monster Hunter games might have a bigger chance to sell more than Metal Gear Solid games, regardless on which platforms/consoles the games are being released on.

To get a more accurate confirmation about which system between the Wii and the PS3 that would sell most copies of a 3rd party game of real quality, i would say that this 3rd party game(s) would have to be released at the same day both for the Wii and for the PS3 :)

EDIT: I see now that people have already answered on this :)

Road said:
S-E not really, but Sony may be disappointed in knowing there's a high chance almost everyone that want FFXIII the first week already have a PS3, like what just happened with MH3.
The Wii hardware sales was at 93k this week, which is about 70k more consoles compared to last week. Isnt it hard to know how many of these 93k Wii hardware sales that were people who already owned a Wii before and how many people who bought a Wii console for the first time this week? The MH3 hardware bundle and the black colored Wii was released on a Saturday. Had they been released on a Thursday instead (which is a more normal day when games gets released on in Japan), maybe the hardware sales would have been higher :)

caligula13

Gold Member
duckroll said:
If anything, this proves that yes, the Wii is a viable platform for third party brands with good production values and good marketing.

this i like. enough with all that bomba shit.

schuelma

duckroll said:
Yes, I agree with this as well. I don't think MH3 would be able to do this well on the PS3 at all. But like I said, MH does not represent all other franchises.

Really? I think it could have done pretty well..I mean if RE5 and Yakuza could get to 500K on the PS3's userbase I think Monster Hunter could have done significantly better.

Dug out PSP hardware sales when the respective Monster Hunter games launched (hardware sales of the previews week are in brackets):

Monster Hunter Freedom - 78,635 (53,771)
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 - 93,523 (37,202)
Monster Hunter Portable 2 G - 139,345 (66,092)

We wouldn't know how MH3 on PS3 would have done, people were making assumptions that MH3 on Wii wouldn't have done so well for Christs sake. Can't really compare it to anything else. Large boost of Wii sales, could it have done similar for PS3?

duckroll

schuelma said:
Really? I think it could have done pretty well..I mean if RE5 and Yakuza could get to 500K on the PS3's userbase I think Monster Hunter could have done significantly better.

Oh I don't think it would do badly on the PS3, but I definitely think it will do BETTER on the Wii. Of course there's no way to ultimately prove this, but I think the lower cost of the Wii in Japan, along with the already high installed base, definitely makes the game a more viable platform for people from the PSP fanbase crossing over to pick up their first console MH sequel.

Sipowicz

Banned
schuelma said:

agreed

i think it would tap out earlier on PS3though. the wii has a much bigger install base so more people will probably pick it up down the line

donny2112

duckroll said:
What a stealth edit!

I figured there were enough exceptions to what I wrote that it just would've caused more problems than it was worth. I still found it to be an interesting flip, though. :p

test_account said:
I know that you edited your post, but out of curiousity, regarding what you wrote before you edited, why doesnt the PS3 need big third party games? (i think that is what you wrote at least) :)

The idea was that you're less likely to make back your budget by putting your game on the non-market leading consoles, so it may be better to focus on side games/spinoffs to make back your investment. As I said above, there are enough exceptions (Yakuza 3 being one) to that idea that it probably wasn't worth leaving it out there. I still found it an interesting complement to Sohter.Nura's statement, though. :)

test_account

XP-39C²
Road said:
Necessary dumb question: does that include the Wii bundle?

I wanted it over 600k. Haha I'm more curious about the Wii hardware, though.

Thanks.

MGS4 is at 700k approximately.
Monster Hunter 3 might be over 600k in the Media Create numbers though :)

duckroll

test_account said:
Monster Hunter 3 might be over 600k in the Media Create numbers though :)

Either way, I think what will interest most of us now is not the MC number, but next week's numbers. :)

ksamedi

duckroll said:

Yeah those are some good numbers. Especially if you consider the platform its on (although Japanese 360 owners probably like western games a lot). Western games have been doing a lot better lately over there it seems.

caligula13

Gold Member
test_account said:
Monster Hunter 3 did sell more than MGS4 in it's first week and both MH3 and MGS4 are 3rd party games, that is true, so in this way i guess you can say that it is confirmed that 3rd party games of real quality sells better on the Wii than on the PS3 in Japan. But, Monster Hunter and Metal Gear Solid are 2 different series, and the Monster Hunter serie seems to be more popular (at least when it comes to the handheld (PSP) Monster Hunter games) at the moment compared to the Metal Gear Solid serie, so it might be a chance that Monster Hunter games might have a bigger chance to sell more than Metal Gear Solid games, regardless on which platforms/consoles the games are being released on.

ok, i understand. but explain me why do people say Wii doesn't sell software without looking at the quality of this software?

schuelma

duckroll said:
Oh I don't think it would do badly on the PS3, but I definitely think it will do BETTER on the Wii. Of course there's no way to ultimately prove this, but I think the lower cost of the Wii in Japan, along with the already high installed base, definitely makes the game a more viable platform for people from the PSP fanbase crossing over to pick up their first console MH sequel.

Yeah I can see that.

duckroll

caligula13 said:
ok, i understand. but explain me why do people say Wii doesn't sell software without looking at the quality of this software?

Because some people are dumb? I mean there's really no better answer than that. What you are describing is a stupid unfounded comment which we have been shooting down for at least a year now in every Media Create thread. You're new, so I don't know if you read the threads weekly before you got approved, but I think most of us regularly posting on sales threads here know why Wii third party games sell badly in general. It's a vicious cycle of poor spinoffs and weak efforts getting crappy sales because a) they look bad, b) first party software looks way better.

Vinci

Danish
BattleMonkey said:
We wouldn't know how MH3 on PS3 would have done, people were making assumptions that MH3 on Wii wouldn't have done so well for Christs sake. Can't really compare it to anything else. Large boost of Wii sales, could it have done similar for PS3?

The MH fanbase is basically going to follow the series anywhere they have to, just like the MGS crowd followed that franchise from PS2 to PS3 without hesitation. So the core fanbase is going to be there eventually so long as the game isn't completely worthless. I think the Wii's userbase size gives the series the chance to expand to a larger group of players though than it would have on the PS3. But that's just a guess.

Top Bottom