• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

Spiegel

schuelma said:
I think donny should be barred from any further discussion given his initial Tri prediction :)

After his "The Conduit" prediction nobody should take his predictions seriously

:p

Those MH3 sales are terrific. Almost 600k in 2 days, means it would have topped 700k in the normal 4-day period easily, and that points to a game that's going to top 1 million.

Even if the legs are the same as Monster Hunter 2, you're looking at a million seller in Japan, the first console third party million seller this entire generation which is significant any way you spin it.

And I think it does in a lot of way shatter some perceptions about hardcore 3rd party games on the Wii. They can sell on the Wii ... but they have to be the bigger IPs like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts ... not small/unknown/spinoff IPs.

And this is a *hardcore* game .... I mean it barely uses the Wiimote at all and is a online-centric title that is pay-to-play down the line. These numbers are great.

donny2112

schuelma said:
I think donny should be barred from any further discussion given his initial Tri prediction :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9053067&highlight=monster+hunter+ps2#post9053067

In a conversation with Stopsign on the matter. I think that was around the first time I posted my expectations ~20 months ago. To be fair with the Black Wii announcement, I raised my LTD to ~750K.

Looking at the numbers now, they're less than some (including Capcom based on the 1 million initial shipment) hoped for the first week. I think that could be the entirety of 2009's poor Wii software releases dragging it down, but we'll see over the next few weeks if it peters out or if it has legs. Doubling the first week is by no means guaranteed (core franchise, etc.), but if it does, I think that would be a really good sales performance from the first week sales.

Vinci

Danish
Is it at all possible that people will be interested in the Wii version because they want to play the newest game in the series on a big screen, with a very nice controller, nevermind that it doesn't offer the exact same level of convenience the handheld version does? This franchise has a much larger fanbase than it used to; some may never have tried the PS2 versions and feel this is an appealing option.

Just a thought.

donny2112 said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9053067&highlight=monster+hunter+ps2#post9053067

In a conversation with StopSign on the matter. I think that was around the first time I posted my expectations ~20 months ago. To be fair with the Black Wii announcement, I raised my LTD to ~750K.

Looking at the numbers now, they're less than some (including Capcom based on the 1 million initial shipment) hoped for the first week. I think that could be the entirety of 2009's poor Wii software releases dragging it down, but we'll see over the next few weeks if it peters out or if it has legs. Doubling the first week is by no means guaranteed (core franchise, etc.), but if it does, I think that would be a really good sales performance from the first week sales.

You guys are nuts.

Almost 600k in 2 days means it would've been 700k+ had it been given a normal 4 day sales window.

Even if it has legs similar to MH2 on the PS2, it will exceed 1 million at this rate.

Vinci said:
Has anyone created an official list yet? It would be nice to have something to refer to on occasions when this comes up.
I don't really have a list, but it's quite easy to come up with the stupid shit people have said over the past years....

"Third parties don't sell on the Wii", because the following games don't count...

- Party games
- Sports games
- Mini games
- Fitness games
- Music games
- Kids games
- Puzzle games

This accounts for about 80% of all games, but we all know these are casual games, or to use the correct term: non-games. So they don't count. Also...

- Big Franchises that sell on every console
- Wii versions of older (PS2, GC, ...) games
- Games that have a Nintendo mascot in them, or really any link with Nintendo
- Licensed games from movies, tv-series, ...

Because we all know these games would sell well regardless...

And lastly, don't forget: any game that reaches 1,000,000 units sold is automatically disqualified as proof that third party games sell on the Wii.

The thing is though, it doesn't really matter what game we're talking about. There's always someone who discards the numbers for some retarded reason.
(Just as any highly anticipated third party game that bombs get a rationalization by some people too.)
It's why all the NPD threads are such an awesome read.

donny2112

schuelma said:
Uhhh yeah.. Tomodachi Collection looks like a million seller to me.

*+1 to that column*

botticus said:
Tomodachi went up again?

~800K by the end of August.

Meier said:
Also, what the heck is Tomodachi/Friends Collection anyway? How/why is this game selling so well?

Animal Crossing/Sims + Miis

Your question is answered.

cvxfreak said:
You have no idea how much I wanted to see a game called Winning Eleven 11.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8851017&postcount=362

I translated it that way on purpose. :lol

gerg

Soundwave2000 said:
And I think it does in a lot of way shatter some perceptions about hardcore 3rd party games on the Wii. They can sell on the Wii ... but they have to be the bigger IPs like Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts ... not small/unknown/spinoff IPs.

Of course, if you don't have Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts, what are you to do?

I think that the Japanese market, as a whole, is stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place, at the moment. Is the market becoming more and more irrelevant as time goes by?

markatisu

donny2112 said:

In a conversation with StopSign on the matter. I think that was around the first time I posted my expectations ~20 months ago. To be fair with the Black Wii announcement, I raised my LTD to ~750K.

Even if it has the legs the MHG Wii did it should come close or top out around 1m, I think it will go well past that since there is no "wait for" at the moment for MH

We all know Capcom will make MH3P but that is not official and I find it incredibly hard to believe people will sit out merely because its not portable. I do not think MH is front loaded especially with the 21 free days online.

The third week will be telling though, since Week 2 will merely be an extension of Week 1

gerg said:
Of course, if you don't have Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, or Kingdom Hearts, what are you to do?

I think that the Japanese market, as a whole, is stuck between a bit of a rock and a hard place, at the moment. Is the market becoming more and more irrelevant as time goes by?

Considering a Nintendo console has never gotten any one of those kinds of IPs ... it shows a big name IP can sell.

Hell, Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on the GameCube sold relatively well given the userbase it was on, the fact that it was a spin-off, and required the GBA-link-cable.

So the bigger IPs do sell on the Wii. People don't want the niche/small scale stuff unless its budget party games, that probably goes for Europe and North America too.

Third parties -- instead of making like 50 small Wii titles would be better served making 3 or 4 bigger scale games on the platform IMO.

MH3 is like Final Fantasy III on the DS .... before that game came out and sold a million people used to say core games and 3rd party games couldn't sell on the DS either (hard as that is to believe now). I think if/when MH3 tops 1 million on the Wii it will give other third parties more confidence in the platform, which will be significant.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Soundwave2000 said:
Third parties -- instead of making like 50 small Wii titles would be better served making 3 or 4 bigger scale games on the platform IMO.

This !!!

cvxfreak

This fall/winter will be the decisive proof of whether the Wii will be a strong DS/PS2-like contender or remain very vulnerable despite being a market leader.

It's getting a few franchises that defined Sony's previous consoles, as well as one of Nintendo's biggest (NSMB Wii). If those, plus Wii Fit+ and the continued legs of current Wii games cannot bring the system beyond its slump, I'm not convinced anything short of DQX will.

Vinci

Danish
cw_sasuke said:

Honestly, it's not just 'that' - I think they'd do well if they put a myriad of proven PS2 franchises on the thing; ones that aren't enormously popular but have a strong, stable fanbase. Persona, Disgaea, things like that. So they don't have to make HUGE GAMES only, just continue franchises on the system that weren't big enough to warrant the expense of HD or don't depend on graphics or online for their appeal.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cvxfreak said:
This fall/winter will be the decisive proof of whether the Wii will be a strong DS/PS2-like contender or remain very vulnerable despite being a market leader.

It's getting a few franchises that defined Sony's previous consoles, as well as one of Nintendo's biggest (NSMB Wii). If those, plus Wii Fit+ and the continued legs of current Wii games cannot bring the system beyond its slump, I'm not convinced anything short of DQX will.

Agreed. Wii actually has a pretty strong lineup for the rest of the year/Winter- Wii Fit Plus, NSMB Wii, Samurai Warriors 3, Tales of Graces, Crystal Bearers, RE: DC. That's pretty solid, and if sales are still at 15-20K next January I don't know if it will ever get much higher.

schuelma

donny2112 said:

In a conversation with Stopsign on the matter. I think that was around the first time I posted my expectations ~20 months ago. To be fair with the Black Wii announcement, I raised my LTD to ~750K.

I don't know- remember it only had 2 days. With those extra two days I think we would have seen around 700K sold which is a 70% sell through in one week. If it doesn't break a million it will get really really close.

Vinci said:
Honestly, it's not just 'that' - I think they'd do well if they put a myriad of proven PS2 franchises on the thing; ones that aren't enormously popular but have a strong, stable fanbase. Persona, Disgaea, things like that. So they don't have to make HUGE GAMES only, just continue franchises on the system that weren't big enough to warrant the expense of HD or don't depend on graphics or online for their appeal.

Thing is I don't believe a game like Professor Layton could have been as successful if things like Final Fantasy III and the more traditional third party IPs on the DS finally paved the road for that system.

It's a shame it took so long for the Wii to finally get a title of this stature, ideally you would want this type of 3rd party game in the first 24 months at least, but better late than never.

Other significant things ... I think if MH3 sells over 1 mill in Japan it gives Nintendo a very good shot at Monster Hunter 4 as well. And it's also significant because I think this is the first online-centric game on the Wii which is pay to play ... it could be a trailblazer in that area too. In good and bad ways I suppose -- Capcom may get hooked on making money off online fees for this title. So even if the Wii game sells "only" 1 million ... having hundreds of thousands of users paying to play every month is going to add up after a while too.

king zell

so whats next with the Monster Hunter franchise? well it stay on the Wii for the next installment or is it going HD (i dont see that, making the fans buys yet another console?)

schuelma

king zell said:
so whats next with the Monster Hunter franchise? well it stay on the Wii for the next installment or is it going HD (i dont see that, making the fans buys yet another console?)

I think it will stay on Wii and PSP. The audience is there, the porting back and forth is easy.

cw_sasuke

king zell said:

i think the next mh console game will also be on wii - so that they can profit from the established userbase, if its just an expansion like mh2g i.e they could support mh tri save files.....

gerg

Soundwave2000 said:
Thing is I don't believe a game like Professor Layton could have been as successful if things like Final Fantasy III and the more traditional third party IPs on the DS finally paved the road for that system.

Is there really that much of an overlap between the audiences of FF III and Professor Layton? I doubt it.

Other significant things ... I think if MH3 sells over 1 mill in Japan it gives Nintendo a very good shot at Monster Hunter 4 as well. And it's also significant because I think this is the first online-centric game on the Wii which is pay to play ... it could be a trailblazer in that area too.

I would not be surprised if the Wii received the next console MH entries.

People don't want the niche/small scale stuff unless its budget party games, that probably goes for Europe and North America too.

That's a very generalised, broad statement you're making there.

My point is that the big titles sell on whatever platform you put them. This isn't a problem. The problem arises when you don't have big IPs, and you're stuck deciding whether or not it's worth pouring all your efforts into titles that may bomb. Nintendo, in effect, doesn't want a fertile ground for Monster Hunter, or Resident Evil or Final Fantasy. It wants a fertile ground for every title that isn't MH, RE, or FF.

Road

Souldriver said:
I don't really have a list, but it's quite easy to come up with the stupid shit people have said over the past years....

"Third parties don't sell on the Wii", because the following games don't count...

- Party games
- Sports games
- Mini games
- Fitness games
- Music games
- Kids games
- Puzzle games

This accounts for about 80% of all games, but we all know these are casual games, or to use the correct term: non-games. So they don't count. Also...

- Big Franchises that sell on every console
- Wii versions of older (PS2, GC, ...) games
- Games that have a Nintendo mascot in them, or really any link with Nintendo
- Licensed games from movies, tv-series, ...

Because we all know these games would sell well regardless...

And lastly, don't forget: any game that reaches 1,000,000 units sold is automatically disqualified as proof that third party games sell on the Wii.

The thing is though, it doesn't really matter what game we're talking about. There's always someone who discards the numbers for some retarded reason.
(Just as any highly anticipated third party game that bombs get a rationalization by some people too.)
It's why all the NPD threads are such an awesome read.

People will keep hopping on Wii until it "creates" million selling 3rd party franchises, like the PS did with Tekken and Resident Evil, or the PS2 with Onimusha and Dynasty Warriors.

No one will care about the reasons. People will only look at the results.

schuelma said:
I think it will stay on Wii and PSP. The audience is there, the porting back and forth is easy.

Agreed, though I still think some kind of Monster Hunter DS will happen at some point (maybe even next year). Just too much userbase to ignore.

Vinci

Danish
Soundwave2000 said:

You're connecting Layton's success to FF and traditional 3rd party IPs? Really? I don't see that at all. I think Layton's appeal is firmly entrenched in the expanded market of the DS.

And I agree on the big titles having an impact, but I feel dismissing small or mid-range titles is doing a disservice to them. The PS2 became the juggernaut it was not only based around its huge IPs, but also due to the fact that it had a consistent wave of quality games of many different types hitting in-between the big dogs. Nintendo has provided enough big dogs to have set some foundation for these games; they just never showed up to continue the system's momentum or plant seeds for future releases of similar veins.

gerg

Soundwave2000 said:
Agreed, though I still think some kind of Monster Hunter DS will happen at some point. Just too much userbase to ignore.

As amazing as the DS is, there are some series that I don't think are suited for the platform. Monster Hunter is one of them.

cw_sasuke

Soundwave2000 said:
Agreed, though I still think some kind of Monster Hunter DS will happen at some point. Just too much userbase to ignore.

DS cant handle a true MH Game, maybe on the ds succesor but thats a whole other story....

Vinci said:
You're connecting Layton's success to FF and traditional 3rd party IPs? Really? I don't see that at all. I think Layton's appeal is firmly entrenched in the expanded market of the DS.

And I agree on the big titles having an impact, but I feel dismissing small or mid-range titles is doing a disservice to them. The PS2 became the juggernaut it was not only based around its huge IPs, but also due to the fact that it had a consistent wave of quality games of many different types hitting in-between the big dogs. Nintendo has provided enough big dogs to have set some foundation for these games; they just never showed up to continue the system's momentum or plant seeds for future releases of similar veins.

Well on this board a lot of people used to hound the DS for not being able to sell 3rd party games.

That changed after Final Fantasy III in a lot of ways. It's hard to imagine now but yeah there was very much a time when "so what if the DS sells a lot in Japan ... only Nintendo/Brain Training games sell on it" was a bread and butter mantra for a lot of people on this very board.

jrricky said:
Soooo....has the success of the PSP version rubbed off on the Wii version?
BishopLamont said:
It remains to be been.
When it sells in two days what it took the previous console version a year to do, I think it's pretty clear to see.
Soundwave2000 said:
Considering a Nintendo console has never gotten any one of those kinds of IPs ... it shows a big name IP can sell.
Well, I seem to remember Nintendo home consoles getting games like FF or DQ a time or six, in ancient history.

cw_sasuke said:
DS cant handle a true MH Game, maybe on the ds succesor but thats a whole other story....

I wonder if the DSi can though ... isn't it more powerful than the regular DS? Not like any of these concerns ever stopped Capcom in the past anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom tries to milk MH3 on the Wii more too at this rate maybe with another MH3 title or tournament edition or something next year.

Vinci

Danish
Soundwave2000 said:
Well on this board a lot of people used to hound the DS for not being able to sell 3rd party games.

That changed after Final Fantasy III in a lot of ways. It's hard to imagine now but yeah there was very much a time when "so what if the DS sells a lot in Japan ... only Nintendo/Brain Training games sell on it" was a bread and butter mantra for a lot of people on this very board.

I get that. What I'm saying is that you cannot simply have big games hit on rare occasions, then nothing in between... You need those mid-range, small-scale games that hit more frequently with their stable userbases to help maintain momentum and promote future releases that act as a safety net if any of your big games bomb for whatever reason.

EDIT: I'm not talking about whatever stupid shit spewed out of GAF at the time; I'm talking about what happens in reality, not in the minds of a bunch of delusional fanboys.

Road

donny2112 said:
Has any 3rd party title sold one million on the Wii yet?

I know what you mean -- "lol non-game", but my statement doesn't need to be fixed yet. =P

I also know that the Wii has done its job as the leading console on the creation of million selling titles -- Wii series. I'm just saying what people will keep doing.

Vinci said:
I get that. What I'm saying is that you cannot simply have big games hit on rare occasions, then nothing in between... You need those mid-range, small-scale games that hit more frequently with their stable userbases to help maintain momentum and promote future releases that act as a safety net if any of your big games bomb for whatever reason.

EDIT: I'm not talking about whatever stupid shit spewed out of GAF at the time; I'm talking about what happens in reality, not in the minds of a bunch of delusional fanboys.

I agree with that, but it's a chicken/egg scenario ... you definitely need the big Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy to pave the way first, then maybe those smaller types of games have a shot at selling later on.

Nintendo's problem is they've had this formula backwards or they've relied on the wrong franchise (Resident Evil/Bio Hazard last gen ... which was already a declining franchise in Japan at the time).

ksamedi

Soundwave2000 said:
I wonder if the DSi can though ... isn't it more powerful than the regular DS? Not like any of these concerns ever stopped Capcom in the past anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom tries to milk MH3 on the Wii more too at this rate maybe with another MH3 title or tournament edition or something next year.

The userbase for the DSi is way lower than the PSP. Besides, I don't think another version of MH is needed when the PSP and Wii versions are already selling quite well. A DS versuin would probably not add anything significant to the total franchise sales and not worth the effort.

ksamedi said:
The userbase for the DSi is way lower than the PSP. Besides, I don't think another version of MH is needed when the PSP and Wii versions are already selling quite well. A DS versuin would probably not add anything significant to the total franchise sales and not worth the effort.

Well other than selling 1-2 million in its sleep ... but Capcom isn't interested in that I'm sure ;)

Aren't they making MH for cell phones? I think MH on DS is a lot like Smash Bros. on DS ... it's probably bound to happen at some point.

Still that is sorta gravy. This was a very important game for the Wii and its about time the Wii got one of these ... the DS already has enough big third party stuff (tons of DQ and FF titles among other stuff).

Vinci

Danish
Soundwave2000 said:
Aren't they making MH for cell phones? I think MH on DS is a lot like Smash Bros. on DS ... it's probably bound to happen at some point.

There is a Smash Bros. on the DS. It's called Jump Super Stars. Hell, it's even made by Nintendo.

wrowa

Soundwave2000 said:
Agreed, though I still think some kind of Monster Hunter DS will happen at some point (maybe even next year). Just too much userbase to ignore.
Monster Hunter DS would sell decently, but a new PSP Monster Hunter would probably sell much better. So why should they bother with a DS version, when they can make more money on another plattform?

Just compare the sales of the MH-like games Phantasy Star Portable (PSP) and Phantasy Star Zero (DS). Although PS0 is pretty much the better game PSPortable sold much better. The fans of this type of game are simply on the PSP and not on the DS (respectively they own a DS but prefer the PSP for these games).

gerg

Soundwave2000 said:
I agree with that, but it's a chicken/egg scenario ... you definitely need the big Monster Hunter or Final Fantasy to pave the way first, then maybe those smaller types of games have a shot at selling later on.

This I can agree with. It's just getting a big IP on a platform should always be a means to the end of getting every IP on a platform.

Nintendo's problem is they've had this formula backwards or they've relied on the wrong franchise (Resident Evil/Bio Hazard last gen ... which was already a declining franchise in Japan at the time).

I don't think that Nintendo's had the formula backwards or that they've relied on the wrong titles especially much, but rather that they haven't really cared for it or its results.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Soundwave2000 said:
If by "probably bound to happen at some point" you mean "never going to happen" then I agree.

Vinci

Danish
Soundwave2000 said:
You might get your answer next year (DS release schedule looks pretty barren).

I'll help cut the suspense: There will not be a Smash Bros. or Monster Hunter on the DS. Ever.

Vinci said:
I'll help cut the suspense: There will not be a Smash Bros. or Monster Hunter on the DS. Ever.

LOL, that's a pretty bold statement considering the DS is the biggest gaming platform in Japan by three or four country miles.

I'll match that, and raise you a "there will be a Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter on a DS platform (the current DS or its successor) within the next few years".

Not that the DS needs either.

markatisu

Road said:

I know what you mean -- "lol non-game", but my statement doesn't need to be fixed yet. =P

I also know that the Wii has done its job as the leading console on the creation of million selling titles -- Wii series. I'm just saying what people will keep doing.

No 3rd party game on any home console this gen has sold 1m, MGS4 on the PS3 and Taiko Wii were the standard bearers until MH3 and then we are still not talking about 1m

The PSP and the DS for 3rd parties is another story

In regards to MH staying on Wii I think its a sure bet it will, the Wii ease of port to the PSP makes it a no-brainer since Capcom can continue to go back and forth for at least 2 more years with relative ease. And I am pretty sure Nintendo will continue to fund the advertising and help build the franchise as long as it gets the "main" installments.

Vinci

Danish
Soundwave2000 said:
LOL, that's a pretty bold statement considering the DS is the biggest gaming platform in Japan by three or four country miles.

I'll match that, and raise you a "there will be a Smash Bros. and Monster Hunter on a DS platform (the current DS or its successor) within the next few years".

That's not matching me. You said the 'DS,' not its successor. I'm not going to predict the impact of a device that currently does not exist and isn't even rumored at this point.

Kenka

What is actually the very last title to have sold 1 million + on a Nintendo home console in Japan ?

Would it be Seiken 3 or something ?

donny2112

Road said:

Not in Japan, but U.S. and worldwide there have been some.

Road said:
I know what you mean -- "lol non-game",

Exactly. I'm thinking of Carnival Games, specifically.

Road said:
but my statement doesn't need to be fixed yet. =P

If Taiko had reached 1 million in Japan before Monster Hunter 3 might, I think that extra qualifier would still be needed. :p

Kenka said:
What is actually the very last title to have sold 1 million + on a Nintendo home console in Japan ?

Animal Crossing: City Folk. Third-party, it's probably Dragon Quest VI on SFC.

Kenka said:

Pretty sure it was a Dragon Quest game on the SNES. It's been a long, loooooong time coming.

wrowa

Soundwave2000 said:
LOL, that's a pretty bold statement considering it's the biggest gaming platform in Japan by three or four country miles.

There will be no Smash Bros. on DS. Sakurai isn't going to make a sequel anytime soon and if he makes one it'll be pretty much different from it's predecessors - he already stated this shortly after he finished SSBB. SB isn't a franchise that Nintendo wants to milk and they won't develop a new one without Sakurai.

Top Bottom