• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: July 20-26, 2009

Kenka

donny2112 said:
Animal Crossing: City Folk. Third-party, it's probably Dragon Quest VI on SFC.

Of course I meant third-party. Dragon Quest VI is like... what, 13 years old ?

Fucking 13 years ?

Kenka said:

Fucking 13 years ?

Amazing that it's taken that long. Hopefully MH3 marks the beginning of a new era for Nintendo consoles.

duckroll

So, just to throw some statistics into the MH DS discussion....

Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP sold over 600k, while Phantasy Star Zero on the DS sold about 200k. Why, and do you think it is applicable to Monster Hunter as a comparison of two franchises driven by multiplayer gameplay and loot/customization?

duckroll said:
So, just to throw some statistics into the MH DS discussion....

Phantasy Star Portable on the PSP sold over 600k, while Phantasy Star Zero on the DS sold about 200k. Why, and do you think it is applicable to Monster Hunter as a comparison of two franchises driven by multiplayer gameplay and loot/customization?
Is it possible that these games actually have a larger userbase on PSP because of pirating?

Hey, what a good week overall. Top10 over 25k, Top30 over 5k, more than 200k hardware systems moved, top10 software more than 1.1m.

Pretty good openings for MH3, Puyo Puyo 7 and Gears of War 2. Good starts all around except for King of Fighters XII to be honest.

I suppose that this is finally the end of the 'Monster Hunter strength is just on handhelds' discussion. Its proven twice now that the growth that happens on the handhelds also applies in a good, sizable amount to consoles (twice because MH2 also grew).

And next week I think there's a good chance of top10 being >50k, with maybe up to 5 titles over 100k. I hope this isn't the last hooray before the yearly September downfall :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TheKingsCrown said:
Is it possible that these games actually have a larger userbase on PSP because of pirating?
You do realize that all those kind of games sold well on the PSP ? Plus its not like there is no piracy on the ds.

Jokeropia

carlo6529 said:
It will be fun when the time comes to compare the sales of Monster Hunter Tri to Final Fantasy XIII.

They are roughly on the same lines of popularity in Japan?
Traditionally, Monster Hunter on consoles have been nowhere near FF in popularity. While it's clear that some part of the portable versions' success has rubbed off on MH3, it's still not clear how much. I don't think it will quite be enough to reach FF levels.
Road said:
Has any 3rd party title sold one million on the Wii yet?
In Japan? No(t yet). Worldwide? 36 third party million sellers through March 2009.

Kenka said:

Fucking 13 years ?
Hell; between N64, GCN, and Wii, Taiko no Tatsujin and now Monster Hunter 3 are the only things to hit half a million. I believe DQ Swords is the only additional one to be over 400K.

duckroll

Jokeropia said:
Traditionally, Monster Hunter on consoles have been nowhere near FF in popularity. While it's clear that some part of the portable versions' success has rubbed off on MH3, it's still not clear how much. I don't think it will quite be enough to reach FF levels.

I think it could be dangerously close, which would be a cause for concern for Sony Warriors, but it'll also be very interesting to look at from a sales perspective. MH3 will almost certainly do over a million, how much more is the big question. On the other hand, FF these days top out at 2 to 2.3 million, and that's on the PS2. If we expect a slight drop due to the PS3 userbase, then they could well be within reaching distance of each other. :eek:

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
duckroll said:
I think it could be dangerously close, which would be a cause for concern for Sony Warriors, but it'll also be very interesting to look at from a sales perspective. MH3 will almost certainly do over a million, how much more is the big question. On the other hand, FF these days top out at 2 to 2.3 million, and that's on the PS2. If we expect a slight drop due to the PS3 userbase, then they could well be within reaching distance of each other. :eek:

Yeah. FF13 is a wildcard, but I think its possible it dips to 1.5, 1.6 million which could put it close to Tri if Tri shows decent legs. Could be fun.

Vinci

Danish
duckroll said:

Go, MH3! Kick FF's ass!

And no, this isn't an anti-Sony thing or a pro-Nintendo thing - I'm just bored of FF games now.

Road

donny2112 said:
Not in Japan, but U.S. and worldwide there have been some.

Exactly. I'm thinking of Carnival Games, specifically.

If Taiko had reached 1 million in Japan before Monster Hunter 3 might, I think that extra qualifier would still be needed. :p
Well, you know the whole Media Create thread thing. Japan only implied.

I just think the Wii won't begin to start shutting up some fanboys while I what I said doesn't happen. That's why I cited "traditional, hardcore" franchises on the PS1 and PS2. And since you mentioned worldwide, things like CoD selling one million in the West won't help the cause while it sells 4 times more on the 360. You can keep arguing with them, though. Must be funny sometimes.

And I thought the same of Taiko. I was even going to write that myself. Haha

Vinci said:
Honestly, it's not just 'that' - I think they'd do well if they put a myriad of proven PS2 franchises on the thing; ones that aren't enormously popular but have a strong, stable fanbase. Persona, Disgaea, things like that. So they don't have to make HUGE GAMES only, just continue franchises on the system that weren't big enough to warrant the expense of HD or don't depend on graphics or online for their appeal.

Almost there, just a little further.

Games of ALL types. Not just niche games, or party games, or waggle games, or puzzle games, or RPGs. The Wii (or frankly, any console) can build a market for all types of games. Let's not play the pigeonhole game.

Jonnyram

duckroll said:
MH3 will almost certainly do over a million, how much more is the big question.
I don't think it will. They overshipped massively, and already a lot of retailers have been cutting prices little by little. It's a decent first week, especially for a console MH, but I think Capcom knows it won't come close to the success of the PSP games.

Vinci

Danish
DeaconKnowledge said:
Almost there, just a little further.

Games of ALL types. Not just niche games, or party games, or waggle games, or puzzle games, or RPGs. The Wii (or frankly, any console) can build a market for all types of games. Let's not play the pigeonhole game.

I wasn't intending to pigeonhole really, just listed some examples off the top of my head. Yeah, there would need to be a variety of software. My point is that there was no need to head full HD development with every damn franchise regardless of its size, as that's ridiculously expensive and with perhaps little profit margin to work with. Just make the sequel nigh exactly the same as you would have if you were developing it for the PS2. If it makes sense to add in some pointer functionality, some reasonable motion stuff - fine, do it - but there's no reason to suddenly act as if PS2 software isn't good enough when the Wii gives you a nice stepping stone allowing you to basically keep producing on a similar scale and frequency.

schuelma

Jonnyram said:
I don't think it will. They overshipped massively, and already a lot of retailers have been cutting prices little by little. It's a decent first week, especially for a console MH, but I think Capcom knows it won't come close to the success of the PSP games.

Have they been cutting prices on all the versions or just the standalone? I could see a situation where the CC Pro packs keep selling while retailers struggle to sell out the initial shipment of the standalone software.

And I don't think a 60% or so sell through rate in 2 days is necessarily a "massive overshipment". If next week they've sold through another 175-200K then I think that's a pretty good start.

Road said:
Well, you know the whole Media Create thread thing. Japan only implied.

I just think the Wii won't begin to start shutting up some fanboys while I what I said doesn't happen. That's why I cited traditional, "hardcore" franchises on the PS1 and PS2. And since you mentioned worldwide, things like CoD selling one million in the East won't help the cause while it sells 4 times more on the 360. You can keep arguing with them, though. Must be funny sometimes.

And I thought the same of Taiko. I was even going to write that myself. Haha

To be fair, which 3rd party games on the Wii are:

A.) High quality

B.) Come from a highly marketable or well known IP though?

Monster Hunter 3 and Resident Evil 4 on the Wii seem to be doing quite well, and those are very few in between, but their success does show that it is possible.

Things like The Conduit, Little King Story, Maramusa, Madworld, etc. wouldn't sell on the 360 or PS3 either IMO. If third parties want software to sell on the Wii, they have to bring bigger guns to the table.

From the consumer's P.O.V. if they're going to play something that isn't Wii Sports/Fit or the party style of gaming the Wii is known for ... then it has to be something big like Super Mario Galaxy or RE4 or Monster Hunter 3. And I can't say I blame a lot of people for feeling that way entirely.

markatisu

Jonnyram said:

You deserve a award for your genius, of course Capcom does not expect it to match the 2-3m the portables has. I just love the amount of people who act as if a 900k-1m selling game (which it will be) is some sort of failure or "just not good enough" when nobody else has done anything close since the systems release except for Nintendo

And you are being way overdramatic with the massive overshipment statement. They undershipped MHG and suffered imho for it. If the game tops out at 750-850k then I think you can say it was a massive overshipment (similar to FFCC EoT)

If anything is price cut its the standalone, MHG showed people wanted bundles and I see no reason why that trend did not continue with MH3

Jonnyram

schuelma said:
Have they been cutting prices on all the versions or just the standalone? I could see a situation where the CC Pro packs keep selling while retailers struggle to sell out the initial shipment of the standalone software.

And I don't think a 60% or so sell through rate in 2 days is necessarily a "massive overshipment". If next week they've sold through another 175-200K then I think that's a pretty good start.
Bundles have been dropping too. You're right that 60% sell through in 2 days is not a massive overshipment, but the price drops have been gradual this week, starting from Monday. Well, at least according to hakomachi, which is always an entertaining read, but I don't believe he has any particular systems bias.

GhostSeed

Monster Hunter is on/coming to cell phones (old news) so a DS version wouldn't be out of the question.

http://www.famitsu.com/k_tai/news/1226051_1350.html

211sd4z.jpg
2j4v9ko.jpg
25s0dhx.jpg

jsfv5h.jpg
1238heh.jpg
9lj147.jpg

flk1o6.jpg
2yozbe8.jpg
2m77od1.jpg

14t3t75.jpg
hw0ig0.jpg
357lt11.jpg

markatisu said:
You deserve a award for your genius, of course Capcom does not expect it to match the 2-3m the portables has. I just love the amount of people who act as if a 900k-1m selling game (which it will be) is some sort of failure or "just not good enough" when nobody else has done anything close since the systems release except for Nintendo

And you are being way overdramatic with the massive overshipment statement. They undershipped MHG and suffered imho for it. If the game tops out at 750-850k then I think you can say it was a massive overshipment (similar to FFCC EoT)

If anything is price cut its the standalone, MHG showed people wanted bundles and I see no reason why that trend did not continue with MH3

Yeah I agree, I had a fear that MH3 on the Wii would only sell about the same LTD as MH2 on the PS2 ... which may seem a bit crazy, but considering how anemic the Wii third party market has been for core-type titles relative to the PS2 to date and its probably not that out there.

The fact that MH3 on the Wii in probably 3 or 4 days is going to topple the entire LTD of Monster Hunter 2 is pretty awesome.

duckroll

GhostSeed said:
Monster Hunter is on/coming to cell phones (old news) so a DS version wouldn't be out of the question.

Pretty much every Capcom game in Japan has a cell phone version. Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Lost Planet, Onimusha, etc.

faridmon

poppabk said:
Ok to play devils advocate further, if the Wii is cheaper to develop for, and big name titles will sell wherever they go - why release any big name titles for the HD consoles at all? You are saying that publishers should release all their big name titles for the Wii, which I would like but it seems a bit excessive.
hu, am just saying that MH is a success wherever it goes. and your point is taken and I agree with it, but i never meant that oh 3rd party is bombing on the Wii or something, I just stated that that MH 3 can also be argued against the fact that Wii rd games can sell IF they are as big as MH.

sorry if I am not clear enough or something
I suck in in English since its not my first language but that's not enough excuse

duckroll said:
Seems like Top Spin 3 on PS3 did even worse than Juon. I guess that proves that there's no hope for 3rd party sequels to sell on the PS3?
what? *sigh*,

but your second answer is good enough, so I guess AQ interactive never expected the game to do well in the first place.

Wait, how do they survive in the business?

Jonnyram

faridmon said:
I suck in in English since its not my first language but that's not enough excuse
Your English is better than a lot of people who supposedly use it as their first language.

Jonnyram said:

Reviews from actual gamers, especially those experienced MH gamers, are below average for the lack of monsters and content in general. Some people say they can possibly finish the majority part of the game within the 20 days of free online service... lol

I start to doubt the leg of this game in later weeks.

Spiegel

schuelma said:

If the game sells "only" 175k this week (days 3-9) and follows with a typical drop I doubt it would even get a 2nd shipment (if the first shipment is about 1.1 million).

583k -> 175k (758k LTD) -> probably <100k

I'd say 250k this week, but considering how KH Ds dropped from 291k (two days) to 94k the next week I don't know what to think.

faridmon said:
hu, am just saying that MH is a success wherever it goes. and your point is taken and I agree with it, but i never meant that oh 3rd party is bombing on the Wii or something, I just stated that that MH 3 can also be argued against the fact that Wii rd games can sell IF they are as big as MH.

sorry if I am not clear enough or something

what? *sigh*,

but your second answer is good enough, so I guess AQ interactive never expected the game to do well in the first place.

Wait, how do they survive in the business?

How can "little" third party games sell when they have to compete against the big Nintendo titles though? Why should the typical Nintendo console owner buy a "smaller scale" third party game over say a major Nintendo release.

That whole set up is exactly what caused the huge imbalance on Nintendo consoles in the first place.

Damn right third parties have to bring bigger IP on Nintendo platforms if they want to compete.

Now after a sizable market for third party software has been established, then maybe you will see the smaller scale/riskier stuff take off because the consumer isn't only looking at just Nintendo software anymore ... but a lot of this is the fault of the third parties.

The DS went through this exact same process, it's been a slower process on the Wii because the system was written off by a lot of third parties before it even launched due to being the successor to the GameCube.

cvxfreak

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't look into these supposed price drops too much. It's just too early to make that kind of judgment. It can happen to any game and if we were forced to look back to every major game release, I'm sure we'd find plenty of examples of "small price drops" at "some retailers."

schuelma

Spiegel said:
If the game sells "only" 175k this week (days 3-9) and follows with a typical drop I doubt it would even get a 2nd shipment (if the first shipment is about 1.1 million).

583k -> 175k (758k LTD) -> probably <100k

I'd say 250k this week, but considering how KH Ds dropped from 291k (two days) to 94k the next week I don't know what to think.

Yeah Kingdom Heart's recent performance is why I was hesitant to put it over 200K. We'll see.

Vinci

Danish
AnimeTheme said:
Reviews from actual gamers, especially those experienced MH gamers, are below average for the lack of monsters and content in general. Some people say they can possibly finish the majority part of the game within the 20 days of free online service... lol

I start to doubt the leg of this game in later weeks.

Where are you reading this?

jett

D-Member
Man massive bump for the Wii! A while ago I would've figured Wii Sports RISOTTO would cause something like this and not MH3. :p

cvxfreak

jett said:
Man massive bump for the Wii! A while ago I would've figured Wii Sports RISOTTO would cause something like this and not MH3. :p

But why? Most people buying the game now probably either had the first game or had Wii Fit. or Wii Play too.

faridmon

Soundwave2000[B said:
]How can "little" third party games sell when they have to compete against the big Nintendo titles though?[/B] Why should the typical Nintendo console owner buy a "smaller scale" third party game over say a major Nintendo release.

That whole set up is exactly what caused the huge imbalance on Nintendo consoles in the first place.

Damn right third parties have to bring bigger IP on Nintendo platforms if they want to compete.

Now after a sizable market for third party software has been established, then maybe you will see the smaller scale/riskier stuff take off because the consumer isn't only looking at just Nintendo software anymore ... but a lot of this is the fault of the third parties.

The DS went through this exact same process, it's been a slower process on the Wii because the system was written off by a lot of third parties before it even launched due to being the successor to the GameCube.

what? evem on other console they have to compete with other first party games AND third party games, and as you mentioned the Wii does not have 'big scale' third party games so thas not an excuse at all.

your other point still stands and I agree :)

Vinci said:

Mainly from "another GAF", as well as a few other Japanese sites. Most of them who spoke are long-time and experienced MH gamers (I know some of them personally as I played with them in the MHP2G times). Most of them think MH3 is worse than the previous MH games. Maybe they don't represent the whole MH3 gamer population in general, but I think they tell what the hardcore MH gamers think.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Vinci said:
Obviously he personally knows those people, how else would he know that they are 'experienced' MH players? :eek:

faridmon said:
what? evem on other console they have to compete with other first party games AND third party games, and as you mentioned the Wii does not have 'big scale' third party games so thas not an excuse at all.

your other point still stands and I agree :)

Well, how about Sony and Nintendo trade third party support for the next 4-5 years and lets see how far Sony would get or how well third party games would sell on their platform.

My guess is it wouldn't be too pretty.

There's a big difference between a Nintendo gamer being presented with a choice of say Wii Sports Resort or Super Mario Galaxy versus a little known third party game like say Little King Story or some goofy spin-off like Soul Calibur Legends too. You can't really fault some or even many Nintendo gamers for just getting into the habit of ignoring third party software. They haven't had a whole lot of great stuff to choose from the last 10+ years.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Probably a lot of the same people that said DQIX was shitty trash, and look how badly things are going for that game.

Yeah the hold for DQIX has been surprisingly great. Perhaps some of that "DS leg power" is starting to kick in.

The continued boost in DS sales is some what surprising too. I thought maybe it would've cooled a bit by now.

DQIX's a fucking awesome game and Enix put in a lot of hooks to keep you from trading it in. I don't think it's going as high as Wada thinks it is, but I would be shocked if it wasn't leggier than usual.

Vinci

Danish
AnimeTheme said:
Mainly from "another GAF", as well as a few other Japanese sites. Most of them who spoke are long-time and experienced MH gamers (I know some of them personally as I played with them in the MHP2G times). Most of them think MH3 is worse than the previous MH games. Maybe they don't represent the whole MH3 gamer population in general, but I think they tell what the hardcore MH gamers think.

Almost everything I've read from people has been uniformly positive, so maybe it's a toss-up as to who is happy and who isn't.

schuelma

Maybe like some people have one opinion and then other people totally have another opinion.

Jonnyram

Segata Sanshiro said:
DQIX's a fucking awesome game and Enix put in a lot of hooks to keep you from trading it in. I don't think it's going as high as Wada thinks it is, but I would be shocked if it wasn't leggier than usual.
It is. I guess the otaku don't like Sandy, but her light-hearted interjections are probably quite enjoyable for most people. They've made me lol a few times, anyway.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Soundwave2000 said:
How can "little" third party games sell when they have to compete against the big Nintendo titles though? Why should the typical Nintendo console owner buy a "smaller scale" third party game over say a major Nintendo release.

how can little third party titles compete with the big third party titles on ps3/360?

Top Bottom