• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 1, 2014 (Dec 30 - Jan 05)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Okay so this is a bit out of date, but I was pondering why there were a number of games that seemed more suited to a tablet-first UI instead of a phone-first UI that got odd phone implementations in Japan (think Dragon Quest VIII), but this explains a lot.

Note: The actual mobile revenue in aggregate from Japan is bigger than the US, but a lot of that is still feature phones through services like Mobage and GREE. iPad revenue has also finally surpassed iPhone revenue in the US since this was created.

android-vs-iosaeq7f.jpg

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/0...ue-catching-up-to-ios-according-to-new-study/

Falcom's teaser page for their January 25th event includes the concept art that seems to be tied to their mystery PS4 game: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01...nounce-its-ps4-game-and-more-on-january-25th/

If this actually shows up in the event, it would be the first Japanese PS4 game announced since September to my knowledge.

If it doesn't, we will likely continue our gigantic streak of zero Japanese PS4 announcements.

Also, while probably not very surprising, Capcom listed the Wii U as attached to MT Framework instead of Panta Rhei, and MT Framework Mobile officially includes Vita and Smartphones now (it probably did before, but I just don't remember seeing it explicitly): http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2013/vol03/index.html

p_02.png

Falcom PS4 game announced soon....oh wow I'm looking to forward to not playing it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Okay so this is a bit out of date, but I was pondering why there were a number of games that seemed more suited to a tablet-first UI instead of a phone-first UI that got odd phone implementations in Japan (think Dragon Quest VIII), but this explains a lot.

Note: The actual mobile revenue in aggregate from Japan is bigger than the US, but a lot of that is still feature phones through services like Mobage and GREE. iPad revenue has also finally surpassed iPhone revenue in the US since this was created.

android-vs-iosaeq7f.jpg

Source: http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/0...ue-catching-up-to-ios-according-to-new-study/

I imagine since the handheld industry is still reasonably strong, that it takes away a fair percentage Tablet gaming revenue.

That or tablets in general simply aren't too attractive to Japanese audience, yet at least. Wonder how well it sells.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I imagine since the handheld industry is still reasonably strong, that it takes away a fair percentage Tablet gaming revenue.

That or tablets in general simply aren't too attractive to Japanese audience, yet at least. Wonder how well it sells.

This is actually the entire app store as opposed to just games, suggesting that there aren't a ton of tablets sold in the region.

Shengar

I think tablet isn't just resonate with Japanese culture, where they vastly preferred small, pocket-sized electronic peripheral/gadget.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is actually the entire app store as opposed to just games, suggesting that there aren't a ton of tablets sold in the region.

Interesting I guess, I wonder if it's reasonably growing market, stabilising, or contracting.

Still that's very weird I would always have guessed Japan with it's small living area's in urban sectors and general commuting nature on trains would embrace tablets, at least on par with a lot of the western world.

I think tablet isn't just resonate with Japanese culture, where they vastly preferred small, pocket-sized electronic peripheral/gadget.

I understand that but computers still exist laptops still exist, Tablets make a lot better replacement for those devices than phones, and are still portable with good battery life.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Interesting I guess, I wonder if it's reasonably growing market, stabilising, or contracting.

Still that's very weird I would always have guessed Japan with it's small living area's in urban sectors and general commuting nature on trains would embrace tablets, at least on pair with a lot of the western world.

My guess would be that they're a bit too big.

Tablets are heavily home use in the US to my knowledge, which kind of reflects the same way that the US is very console heavy.

Japan being portable heavy kind of lines up with the huge skew toward phones, since the portability/mobility factor is incredibly important.

But yeah, I'd also be curious to see how 7 inch tablets are doing there relative to 10 inch, since they're a bit more reasonable to bring around with you.

Edit:

It seems they're going up and the Nexus 7 dethroned the iPad at the start of 2013: http://bgr.com/2013/01/17/nexus-7-sales-japan-ipad-294036/

Principate

Saint Titanfall
My guess would be that they're a bit too big.

Tablets are heavily home use in the US to my knowledge, which kind of reflects the same way that the US is very console heavy.

Japan being portable heavy kind of lines up with the huge skew toward phones, since the portability/mobility factor is incredibly important.

But yeah, I'd also be curious to see how 7 inch tablets are doing there relative to 10 inch, since they're a bit more reasonable to bring around with you.

Edit:

It seems they're going up and the Nexus 7 dethroned the iPad at the start of 2013: http://bgr.com/2013/01/17/nexus-7-sales-japan-ipad-294036/

My issue with understanding this is tablets tend to replacing or at least accompany laptops. If you commute a lot a tablet makes more sense,

So does that mean laptops in general sell like crap in Japan I don't quite get it. From a business perspective I'd assume lot still have laptops right?

Shengar

I understand that but computers still exist laptops still exist, Tablets make a lot better replacement for those devices than phones, and are still portable with good battery life.

Both exist mostly as meant for productive work, not as entertainment peripheral. This is a reason why PC gaming don't develop in Japan like it did in USA. And I bet they treat tablet as something similar due to its size: something that is meant for productive work, not as entertaiment media. In the end, tablet probably will be widely used among corporates and those who involved within it, but not as household tool like it is treated by the rest of the world.

So does that mean laptops in general sell like crap in Japan I don't quite get it. From a business perspective I'd assume lot still have laptops right?
Yes they still have laptop, but again it'll be just like what I said: tablet widely used only among corporates employee, and that mean the sales number wouldn't be astounding.

hongcha

Tablets do not replace laptops in Japan, in general. When I worked in Japan last year all of my Japanese collegues had laptops, and some of them also had tablets. None of them had a tablet but no laptop.

RalchAC

Unless it's another Kiseki, I can't see a Falcom PS4 game going more than a year without being localized.

I think the concept art they released as a teaser feature a dude that looked a lot like Adol from the Ys series.

My issue with understanding this is tablets tend to replacing or at least accompany laptops. If you commute a lot a tablet makes more sense,

Seriously? There is people that uses tablets as a laptop? I have both, but I can't imagine my Nexus 7 being anything more than a second screen. There isn't Microsoft Office, and I don't really feel comfortable with any of Office apps that you can buy in Google Play.

I even prefer to carry my laptop to take notes at university.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I think the concept art they released as a teaser feature a dude that looked a lot like Adol from the Ys series.

Seriously? There is people that uses tablets as a laptop? I have both, but I can't imagine my Nexus 7 being anything more than a second screen. There isn't Microsoft Office, and I don't really feel comfortable with any of Office apps that you can buy in Google Play.

I even prefer to carry my laptop to take notes at university.

See it plenty of times in university. They're not the majority by any stetch of the imagination but they do exist.

See, it's not only my fault some people call me bad.

I wouldn't bother again with the lunatic predictions you made for Wii U this year but you just gave me an excuse to dig them out in a few days.

You mean where I said IMO that WiiU would take longer to drop below 20k than the end of Jan ?. It's far from being a lunatic lol. You could be right and it could fall below 20k next week but you know what it sounds like you take this prediction stuff a lot more serious than me, for me it was a friendly bit of banter in a sales thread. If I'm wrong I will post I was wrong, it's not going to effect my life in any way, it's just a bit of fun and I certainly don't or have never claimed to be an expert, I find sales figures fascinating that's all.

edit - Sorry for the double post ^^

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
You mean where I said IMO that WiiU would take longer to drop below 20k than the end of Jan ?. It's far from being a lunatic lol. You could be right and it could fall below 20k next week but you know what it sounds like you take this prediction stuff a lot more serious than me, for me it was a friendly bit of banter in a sales thread. If I'm wrong I will post I was wrong, it's not going to effect my life in any way, it's just a bit of fun and I certainly don't or have never claimed to be an expert, I find sales figures fascinating that's all.

Haha, I have good memory and this crazy prediction was just 4 days ago, when we already knew what would follow.

Quite a drop for the WiiU but I think it will steady out at around 25-30k per week from now on until at least a month after MK8 when the next major drought begins.

Haha, I have good memory and this crazy prediction was just 4 days ago, when we already knew what would follow.

Again it's my prediction, how does this effect you ?. There is a 99% chance I will be wrong because as I said I'm certainly no expert it's only my personal opinion, nothing more.

The whole reason I made a sales prediction on WiiU in the first place was because you refused to accept the chance that because the console has a much larger library of exclusives and two new bundles now compared to last Jan that it could play a part in sales being higher than last Jan.

I stand by my prediction and don't think WiiU will fall below 20k before Feb where it will have a boost from DK TF and hopefully then they get MK out in early March to continue the momentum.

If you feel the need to quote my predictions or make a remark aimed at me the first week WiiU falls below the 20k sales number then feel free, I will take it in good humour :D.

Glass Rebel

Capcom must really hate the Vita if they can't even be arsed to port Sengoku Basara 4 while KT has basically everything PS3/Vita multiplat.

D-e-f-

Banned
Falcom's teaser page for their January 25th event includes the concept art that seems to be tied to their mystery PS4 game: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/01...nounce-its-ps4-game-and-more-on-january-25th/

If this actually shows up in the event, it would be the first Japanese PS4 game announced since September to my knowledge.

If it doesn't, we will likely continue our gigantic streak of zero Japanese PS4 announcements.

Also, while probably not very surprising, Capcom listed the Wii U as attached to MT Framework instead of Panta Rhei, and MT Framework Mobile officially includes Vita and Smartphones now (it probably did before, but I just don't remember seeing it explicitly): http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/interview/2013/vol03/index.html

p_02.png

There are no MT Framework games on Xbox One/PS4. There is one known Panta Rhei game on PS4 (unless I forgot something?). There are two MT Framework games on WiiU (both ports of MT Framework Mobile titles). There is no "instead of." You're reading too much into things.

They probably don't like how their previous games performed and how low the sales of the Vita have been.

Thing is, their decision to "cut off" the Vita from major support was made even before the poor sales of the Vita ever came into being, AFAICR.

Rumor has it that after Nintendo went the whole nine yards with the MH deal they decided to say fuck it to the Vita and only provide token support for it via ports of their home console games. Probably also stemmed from Sony's PSP-era decision not to promote MH3P's multiplayer mode or something similar.

maxiell

I wonder if they'll market Deep Down remote play as a selling point for Vita. it's been a rough year for the console, and it will never be more than a niche device, but it's hard to say it doesn't sell software to the people that have one.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
They probably don't like how their previous games performed and how low the sales of the Vita have been.

I think UMVSC3 did alright as a launch game and then there was nothing until Street Fighter X Tekken which had its own stigma attached to it beyond Vitas own problems at the time. I dare say a Vita version of Revelaitons would have done possibly twice as much as the WiiU version, but they hedged their bets on that one and it didn't play out for them. EX Troopers as a 3DS/PS3 title seemed like a particularly pointed snub when lots of other pubs did alright out of PS3/Vita cross shenanigans. That also didnt play out well. And now more recently another poor ol' Treasure on 3DS bomba with Gaist Crushers :(

The main problem is we can never be sure at any given time just how many people have left Capcom at this point and there just arent even any internal teams left to port shit at all anymore.

sörine

Banned
UMVC3 Vita did okay but the problem might be how much worse it did than SSF4 3DS.

Capcom's abandonment of fighters on both platforms still feels weird to me though given their early success. USF4 seems like such a logical release since the engine's already been converted to both systems and most of the assets too in 3DS' case.

Hellraider

Is there a story behind that hate?

IIRC UMvsC3 did decently while SFxT flopped hard. For some reason they must think that since MonHun was the only success they had on it's predecessor and now that is on 3DS they might as well not even try.

Although tbh just with pretty much every single Capcom business decision for the last couple of years it's pretty pointless to find reasoning behind. Not to mention that not supporting Vita should (and is) be one of their last concerns.

Sandfox

sörine;96654920 said:
UMVC3 Vita did okay but the problem might be how much worse it did than SSF4 3DS.

Capcom's abandonment of fighters on both platforms still feels weird to me though given their early success. USF4 seems like such a logical release since the engine's already been converted to both systems and most of the assets too in 3DS' case.

There is no way MVC would've been able to compete with SF in sales.

sörine

Banned
There is no way MVC would've been able to compete with SF in sales.
It's not about selling 1:1, but it did around a third the sales in the US and around a tenth in Japan. Also notable was that SSF4 3DS was the single best selling version of SSF4 worldwide while UMVC3 Vita was the worst selling version of UMVC3 from what we can tell.

Takao

Banned
I'm sure Capcom will use the non-existent response they'll get from the Vita ports of Dragon's Dogma Quest, and Monster Hunter Frontier as another reason to not support that platform.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Especially when the 3DS launch was SF and nothing else and remained so for god knows how long, I forget.

Hellraider

sörine;96654920 said:

Launch title and overshipped as hell things aside SSF4 was definitely a success for Capcom. Yet it was the first and only fighting game from them for the system.

With Gaist crusher (shockingly) flopping it won't suprise me if Monhun/MH Spin offs and an AA game every couple of years is what 3DS will be getting from now on. The latter ones only because they can easily be ported to smartphones later.

sörine

Banned
Especially when the 3DS launch was SF and nothing else and remained so for god knows how long, I forget.
3DS launched with Layton, Ridge Racer, Pilotwings, Shadow Wars, PES, Monkey Ball, Samurai Warriors and other games depending on the region. Even within 2 months we had Guilty Gear and DOA so SSF4 didn't even hold genre exclusivity for long.

Another thing to consider is that SSF4 was made obsolete a month after launch when AE hit consoles. UMVC3 Vita had the luxury of launching alongside the console versions rather than a year later.

Guymelef

android-vs-iosaeq7f.jpg

Korea really loves their Samsung and LG.

L Thammy

how do these numbers translate to real sales number?

Mpl90, since this comes up fairly often, it might help to include a brief explanation.
You could type it out at the side of a spreadsheet and copy-paste it when you're posting.

See it plenty of times in university. They're not the majority by any stetch of the imagination but they do exist.

There's definitely a lot of people who use tablets as laptop replacements in my university (in Canada), but it's usually for Facebook, taking pictures of lecture slides, looking at downloaded notes, etc. Those can be done with a laptop and a phone. Actually writing notes or things of that nature doesn't work nearly as well as with a laptop.

Is there a story behind that hate?

Capcom's approach to the 3DS and Vita were more or less set from the beginning. They probably expected the platforms to perform similarly to the DS and PSP, and decided that the DS-like market was more attractive. Since the handheld market isn't booming as much as it was back then, they're probably interested now in moving more towards mobile than handhelds. Vita doesn't have much chance of getting Capcom's attention unless they're already porting everywhere.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;96656576 said:
3DS launched with Layton, Ridge Racer, Pilotwings, Shadow Wars, PES, Monkey Ball, Samurai Warriors and other games depending on the region. Even within 2 months we had Guilty Gear and DOA so SSF4 didn't even hold genre exclusivity for long.

Another thing to consider is that SSF4 was made obsolete a month after launch when AE hit consoles. UMVC3 Vita had the luxury of launching alongside the console versions rather than a year later.

That's a pretty strange way to spell "Blazblue", man.

Maedhros

Considering the type of games Capcom makes now... I don't know why you would want their support (ASIDE, of course, from MH, which is a separate beast).

EDIT: Forgot about Ace Attorney series.

Maedhros

I'm talking about their handheld output though.

Well, Resident Evil Revelaitons was allright I guess. Financially a bad game for them, but it was a nice game.

Glass Rebel

I'm talking about their handheld output though.

Well, Resident Evil Revelaitons was allright I guess. Financially a bad game for them, but it was a nice game.

I don't get your post then. "Why would you want their (handheld) support ASIDE from Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney" when... that's their entire handheld support at this point.

Maedhros

I don't get your post then. "Why would you want their (handheld) support ASIDE from Monster Hunter and Ace Attorney" when... that's their entire handheld support at this point.
The point is that they don't make anything that relevant anymore, aside from Monster Hunter. I don't think AA is a giant seller, but it does have it's fans and it's pretty good.
Hey, there was Gaist Cusher!

And there's this. Heard it was a pretty mediocre game.

Glass Rebel

The point is that they don't make anything that relevant anymore, aside from Monster Hunter. I don't think AA is a giant seller, but it does have it's fans and it's pretty good.

As far as handhelds go nothing has changed then. I guess they had some Mega Man games on DS but MH on PSP and AA on DS was the only "relevant" support handhelds got from Capcom.

3DS also got the uber awesome SSF43D which is just outstanding that they got a PS360 game running on 3DS. That's why I wanted to see them finalize RE5 which they had running on 3DS once upon a time. More than likely became Mercenaries 3D.

As well as attempting Lost Planet (preferably the original) on 3DS, using the Revelations graphics engine and EX Troopers' gameplay engine which is a spin-off of Lost Planet, I bet it would've worked wonders.

hiska-kun

[3DS] Kirby Triple Deluxe

http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/KIRBY1_zpsc1901c46.png
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/KIRBY2_zps259bc019.png
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/KIRBY3_zps7fbe0f65.png

New stock for Zelda
Bic Camera
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/ZeldaA01_zpsa1048b86.png
Yamada Denki (Download card price is higher than retail lol)
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/zeldaA_zps55a7d55b.png

New stock for Final Fantasy X/X-2 but...
Bic Camera (Twin Pack for Vita still sold out)
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/FFXA01_zps3fa3c5aa.png
Yamada Denki (Twin Pack available but standalone for X is not)
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/FFXA_zps7015ad73.png

Attack on Titan available in Yamada Denki too (and BD)
http://i1342.photobucket.com/albums/o763/hiska-kun/AoTA_zps3d29455d.png

Dynasty Warriors Gundam for Vita is also available. The only game still out stock in both shops is Disney Magic Castle.

All photos were taken in Ikebururo Bic Camera and Yamada Denki Main shops.

Top Bottom