• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2015 (Mar 30- Apr 05)

L~A

This week will be pretty brutal with drops, so better not to go with even an ounce of optimism with your predictions.

Man, I wish we got numbers today.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's report

- Spring vacations are over. New school term starts and one of the worst periods of sales too. Overall it has been a tough result this week, specially for 3DS.
- Although, at least it was better than last year with the consumption tax hike.
Also, Dark Souls 2 Scholar of the First Sin faced stock problems.

For next week:

- Girls Mode 3 (Style Savvy 3) for 3DS should top the charts next week. It's not just popular among young girls, but also among 20 years old girls. Good amount of pre-orders and long term sales are expected too.
- The second place is expected for the PS4 version of Dying Light.

Obviously they're changing songs to cater PS crowd (they always do that).
(Fate, Railgun, Sword Art Online, Gundam, Ys, Hatsune Miku songs and such)

at least the screen is multitouch, I never understand how you can play Taiko on 3DS when you can use just one stick...

hiska-kun

at least the screen is multitouch, I never understand how you can play Taiko on 3DS when you can use just one stick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT7QsDjD91E

He fails at the end after happyaku combo lol

What like PS4/3/V? Might as well put it on every system.

Namco usually releases a summer portable entry and a holiday home console entry.
Since Vita is getting this year's summer entry I'm guessing that PS4 could follow
it will be just PS3 lol

Eolz

Tsutaya's report
For next week:

- Girls Mode 3 (Style Savvy 3) for 3DS should top the charts next week. It's not just popular among young girls, but also among 20 years old girls. Good amount of pre-orders and long term sales are expected too.
- The second place is expected for the PS4 version of Dying Light.

First one isn't surprising at all, but isn't the second statement pretty surprising?

L~A

Tsutaya's report

I wonder if you (or someone else) will have comparison chart with GM2?

Also, looking at Famitsu leak, it looks like Squeenix wasn't willing to make as big a cheque as they did back in 2012
(36/40 for BSecond vs 38/40 for BDefault)

L~A

Yes, Style Savvy 3, Brevaly Second and Puzzle & Dragons SMB will be my next comparison charts.

Ah cheers, really appreciated.

GM2 actually came out a few weeks before Animal Crossing (which is another game that managed to grab the 20yo women audience usually playing on smartphones, iirc), so curious to see the impact of the (much) bigger userbase on GM3.

Also, I believe MM3D is doing quite well. I believe we'll see it back for GW.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Good announcement; nice strategy to go multi-plat with PS3, Japan-wise.

If the game isn't that far along in development, that means we're getting games in 2016 that are still multiplat on PS3/PS4.... jeez.

Guess who's getting a Taiko Drum Master game in July?

Hint: not the Wii U. Or the PS4. Or the PS3. Or the PSP.
Or the 3DS

Yup, the Xbox O... I mean PSV!

Source

Well cool for the Vita. Maybe that Minecraft/Hatsune Miku audience will buy the game =)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So adding in today's series of announcements, Square Enix's upcoming line-up consists of the following.

Immediate Future (1-3 months):
-Mobius Final Fantasy (iOS/Android)
-Bravely Second (3DS)
-Dragon Quest X Episode 2 (PC/Wii/Wii U/is this coming to 3DS?)
-Final Fantasy: Heavensward (PC/PS3/PS4)

Future:
-Final Fantasy XV (XB1/PS4)
-Kingdom Hearts 3 (XB1/PS4)
-Star Ocean 5 (PS4/PS3)
-Dragon Quest Heroes 2 (PS4/PS3/Vita)
-SaGa (Vita)
-Dissidia: Final Fantasy (Arcade, PS4 one year later)
-School of Ragnarok (Arcade)
-Lords of Vermillion MOBA (PC)
-Rampage Land Rankers (iOS/Android)
-Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius (iOS/Android)
-Spelunker Z (PS4/PS3, f2p)

And to cover their other half, Eidos:
-Tomb Raider 10 (360/XB1)
-Deus Ex 4 (PC/PS4/XB1)
-Just Cause 3 (PC/PS4/XB1)
-Nosgoth (PC, f2p)
-Triad Wars (PC - Facebook style game)
-Lara Croft: Relic Run (iOS/Android)

They've also semi-announced Hitman 6 (presumably PC/PS4/XB1) and a Kingdom Hearts "smartphone-specific development" (assuredly iOS/Android).

Overall they actually seem to be sticking to their new strategy. On the Western side that involved having a notable amount of AAA titles mixed with some mid-sized online titles (along with some mobile tie-ins). On the Japanese side it involved notably fewer AAA titles, quite a few mid-tier titles, and eight zillion smaller (usually mobile) games.

Now, this isn't super different than before, but the most notable change is that they seem to be wheeling out more mid-sized games again and strengthening their arcade line-up. The mobile games usually have a pretty short reveal to release window so they're not as well captured in this chart, but they've released something like I think it's 8+ games this year on that front.

mao2

So adding in today's series of announcements, Square Enix's upcoming line-up consists of the following.

-Bravely Second (3DS)

Future:
-Star Ocean 5 (PS4/PS3)
-SaGa (Vita)

-Deus Ex 4 (PC/PS4/XB1)
-Nosgoth (PC, f2p)

They've also semi-announced Hitman 6 (presumably PC/PS4/XB1) and a Kingdom Hearts "smartphone-specific development" (assuredly iOS/Android).

Overall they actually seem to be sticking to their new strategy. On the Western side that involved having a notable amount of AAA titles mixed with some mid-sized online titles (along with some mobile tie-ins). On the Japanese side it involved notably fewer AAA titles, quite a few mid-tier titles, and eight zillion smaller (usually mobile) games.

Now, this isn't super different than before, but the most notable change is that they seem to be wheeling out more mid-sized games again and strengthening their arcade line-up. The mobile games usually have a pretty short reveal to release window so they're not as well captured in this chart, but they've released something like I think it's 8+ games this year on that front.
Spelunker Z is already out.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/ゲーム/みんなでスペランカーz/cid=JP0082-CUSA01035_00-MINSPEZPS4000000

There's also Dragon Quest XI which was confirmed by Horii. Anyway, it's great to see the Japanese side releasing more games on consoles.

-Bravely Second (3DS)

Future:
-Star Ocean 5 (PS4/PS3)
-SaGa (Vita)

-Deus Ex 4 (PC/PS4/XB1)
-Nosgoth (PC, f2p)

KH collection, FF12 HD, DQ11 and FF Type 1 are safe bets for the future as well. My opinion of SE has really changed from the start of this gen. Their output is looking really good in my eyes.

-Bravely Second (3DS)

Future:
-Star Ocean 5 (PS4/PS3)
-SaGa (Vita)

-Deus Ex 4 (PC/PS4/XB1)
-Nosgoth (PC, f2p)

Don't forget that they are also releasing a lot of their classics on new platforms like FFVII on PS4 and X|X-2 HD Remaster. Pretty sure that we are also getting KH1.5/2.5 on PS4 next year and possibly XII HD Remaster.

I forgot Dragon Quest HD Remaster but Verendus confirmed that one too, so I am sure it is coming as well. The next Dragon Quest could be mainline release on the PS4 followed by the HD remaster release on the PS4.

Don't forget that they are also releasing a lot of their classics on new platforms like FFVII on PS4 and X|X-2 HD Remaster. Pretty sure that we are also getting KH1.5/2.5 on PS4 next year and possibly XII HD Remaster.

I forgot Dragon Quest HD Remaster but Verendus confirmed that one too, so I am sure it is coming as well. The next Dragon Quest could be mainline release on the PS4 followed by the HD remaster release on the PS4.

oh man if DQ8 HD turns out to be real. Iirc the Nier director was said to be working on a game and Toriyama is working on something unannounced.

Is SaGa internally developed?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Dat distinct lack of 3DS support.

Edit: Rise of Mana and Agito are both still announced for Vita as well.

I've really got to ask, what exactly happened to 3DS support? I guess they are just more Western focused for consoles and mobile for JP (and the West here too)?

Vena

I've really got to ask, what exactly happened to 3DS support? I guess they are just more Western focused for consoles and mobile for JP (and the West here too)?

Has SE ever given extensive support? Aside from the Theater games, the Default series (which they farmed out, and didn't bother to localize), and Explorers... I can't think of much of note. (DQM?)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dat distinct lack of 3DS support.

Edit: Rise of Mana and Agito are both still announced for Vita as well.

In the past few months, they released in Japan Final Fantasy: Explorers, Theatrhythm: DQ and they're soon releasing Bravely Second. Basically, 3 games in 5 months (FF: Explorers released in December, and BS comes this April), it sounds good to me. I'm sure something else for 3DS will be announced in the future, like DQ: Monsters. Maybe a FF: Explorers "G" as well.

Oregano

It's probably just winding down at this point but it's somewhat surprising.

In the past few months, they released in Japan Final Fantasy: Explorers, Theatrhythm: DQ and they're soon releasing Bravely Second. Basically, 3 games in 5 months (FF: Explorers released in December, and BS comes this April), it sounds good to me. I'm sure something else for 3DS will be announced in the future, like DQ: Monsters. Maybe a FF: Explorers "G" as well.

I'm still not sure we should assume DQM is on 3DS. It's still noticeable that they haven't announced anything 3DS in a while, wouldn't be surprised if they are done with the platform after Bravely Second.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It's probably just winding down at this point but it's somewhat surprising.

I'm still not sure we should assume DQM is on 3DS. It's still noticeable that they haven't announced anything 3DS in a while, wouldn't be surprised if they are done with the platform after Bravely Second.

In the same way we must have assumed MH main projects are surely going to Sony platforms because "MONEY, BITCHES?!?!?!", Oregano? :p

The fact is that...I can't see Square stopping developing on the biggest selling traditional Japanese platform right after Bravely Second. I don't get what would be the sense.

@Vena: While it could have done more, Square support has been very present on 3DS (especially Japan, due to DQ games).

Vena

@Vena: While it could have done more, Square support has been very present on 3DS (especially Japan, due to DQ games).

Yes, this is probably true in a retrospective way for me after thinking about it more.

That said, the 3DS should be winding down and the NX/4DS/Wii8 dev kits should be things that are materializing in some sense or other and finding their way into the hands of the bigger pubs.

Oregano

In the same way we must have assumed MH main projects are surely going to Sony platforms because "MONEY, BITCHES?!?!?!", Oregano? :p

The fact is that...I can't see Square stopping developing on the biggest selling traditional Japanese platform right after Bravely Second. I don't get what would be the sense.

The MH stuff has nothing to do with this but nothing has ruled out Sony platforms for MH5. MH Stories might indicate they are sticking with Nintendo platforms but it is also aimed at a younger audience which makes it a natural fit for 3DS. We've also seen more and more examples of Sony actively courting devs with the new Dissidia.

Square Enix could easily consider the 3DS as nearing the end of its life and prefer to concentrate resources on systems with a longer future. The fact that 3DS can't use a lot of their tech is also a notable factor.

Vena

The MH stuff has nothing to do with this but nothing has ruled out Sony platforms for MH5. MH Stories might indicate they are sticking with Nintendo platforms but it is also aimed at a younger audience which makes it a natural fit for 3DS. We've also seen more and more examples of Sony actively courting devs with the new Dissidia.

The recent western growth of the brand (MH) under Nintendo's marketing arm and deal with the N3DS would seem to be much the same sort of "courting", just that this time its marked by a resounding success in market penetration and sales.

It would seem an odd move given said recent successes, to go chasing other geese in hopes they also lay golden eggs (as you'd have to throw the 18mil/established Japanese fanbase under the bus to chase it). It could go the way of multi-plat but that'd be some burgeoning development budgets in that case, and I don't know if Capcom can afford such a thing even if others sit down to fund it.

Sandfox

SE just released two 3DS games, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they only had like one more title left in planning before we get the next Nintendo platform.

Square Enix could easily consider the 3DS as nearing the end of its life and prefer to concentrate resources on systems with a longer future. The fact that 3DS can't use a lot of their tech is also a notable factor.

I don't really understand why Capcom would want to take MH back to Sony platforms at this point.

sörine

Banned
PlayStation MH5 isn't happening. The best indicator for gauging pro-PS betrayalatons is Verendus and if you compare his comments re:MH versus say DQ it's pretty obvious.

Vena

sörine;160147819 said:
PlayStation MH5 isn't happening. The best indicator for gauging pro-PS betrayalatons is Verendus and if you compare his comments re:MH versus say DQ it's pretty obvious.

I've always been curious, what is (s/)he?

I've always been curious, what is (s/)he?
AFAIK, he is an employee at Sony. Most of his reveals have been proven true so far with time. Not all of them are true, however.

Regarding 3DS support, don't count the Vita out. SE is definitely looking into Vita s well, as confirmed by Kagari. She said something along the lines of don't underestimate SE's support for Vita after DQH 2 was revealed.

Oregano

SE just released two 3DS games, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they only had like one more title left in planning before we get the next Nintendo platform.

I don't really understand why Capcom would want to take MH back to Sony platforms at this point.

I don't really want to get into it again but many people expressed similar sentiments after Portable 3rd.

The recent western growth of the brand (MH) under Nintendo's marketing arm and deal with the N3DS would seem to be much the same sort of "courting", just that this time its marked by a resounding success in market penetration and sales.

It would seem an odd move given said recent successes, to go chasing other geese in hopes they also lay golden eggs (as you'd have to throw the 18mil/established Japanese fanbase under the bus to chase it). It could go the way of multi-plat but that'd be some burgeoning development budgets in that case, and I don't know if Capcom can afford such a thing even if others sit down to fund it.

By the time MH5 is out the 3DS will be done with, especially now that MH Stories is announced for 2016. They wouldn't really be giving up any userbase.
I don't necessarily think it's the best course of action, just a very possible one

sörine;160147819 said:

What did Verendus say?

Vena

By the time MH5 is out the 3DS will be done with, especially now that MH Stories is announced for 2016. They wouldn't really be giving up any userbase.
I don't necessarily think it's the best course of action, just a very possible one

One could argue that Nintendo's handhelds, at least in Japan, have pretty good generational traction. The fanbase moves with the hardware, so to speak, to a large degree. (On top of the fact that Nintendo's own software or affiliates therein, are some of the biggest muscles in the industry in Japan at this point, which is obviously going to be limited to their hardware.) The question then becomes, how much of an overlap is there in the fanbases that Nintendo will bring vs. what Capcom hopes will carry over for MH vs. what Level-5 will move, etc.

Obviously this isn't necessarily a blanket truth, as can be seen with the PSP/Vita collapse, and the general consolidation of the handheld market and rise of mobile.

AFAIK, he is an employee at Sony. Most of his reveals have been proven true so far with time. Not all of them are true, however.

Fascinating. Adding to my list of "in the knows".

Regarding 3DS support, don't count the Vita out. SE is definitely looking into Vita s well, as confirmed by Kagari. She said something along the lines of don't underestimate SE's support for Vita after DQH 2 was revealed.

I don't see why they would count out the Vita (they have a fanbase to sell to, after all, even if sales keep falling YoY on the hardware front). They've been supporting it for a while now, and the more titles they can port then the more they can fight off fatigue, same with the PS3. But I'm not sure what that has to do with 3DS support.

Honestly, the way this generation has been going (particularly in Japan and the continue life of the PS3), I wouldn't be surprised if we see the WiiU live a longer-than-expected life while the next handheld basically "merges" with it software wise for the most part, everything is effectively top-level coding/development at this point. I don't know how much Nintendo has to gain from new console hardware at the moment, or if there's any reason for them to expect any more of a success than what the WiiU can already do/has done. It'll give them shinnier graphics but from a development standpoint they are already in HD and I don't think they want any part of the race-to-the-end nature of AAA development now.
I guess they could fix the WiiU's glacial OS and feature-set.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

It's because it's easy to port? Honestly, the Vita's limited userbase in the West is always going to be a huge hamper on SqEnix or other companies putting anything exclusive on Vita. The ease of porting to Vita is what gets it software, just like I'd think could be far more palatable to release software on Nintendo platforms if the 3DS & Wii U had something similar.

For fun... (Famitsu #s)

Code:
2015 releases with known sales over 100K LTD

PS3	Dragon Quest Heroes	311,277	440,683	Square Enix	2015-02-26
3DS     Legend of Zelda - Majora's Mask 3D - 433,996 - 2015-02-14
PS3	Tales of Zestiria	316,824	362,145	Bandai Namco	2015-01-22
PSV	God Eater 2: Rage Burst	221,076	314,415	Bandai Namco	2015-02-19
PS4	Dragon Quest Heroes	255,292	311,939	Square Enix	2015-02-26
PS3	Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho	161,179	220,784	SEGA	2015-03-12
PS4	Bloodborne	150,245	173,802	SCE	2015-03-26
PSV	Sword Art Online: Lost Song	125,441	149,264	Bandai Namco	2015-03-26
PS4	Yakuza 0: Chikai no Basho	101,656	126,773	SEGA	2015-03-12
PS4	Final Fantasy Type-0 HD	91,093	109,519	Square Enix	2015-03-19
WIU	Mario Party 10	51,452	108,536	Nintendo	2015-03-12
PS3	Super Robot Wars Z III: Tengoku Hen	105,072	105,072	Bandai Namco	2015-04-02
PS3	One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3	81,387	104,880	Bandai Namco	2015-03-26

(really close + probably will hit/have hit)
PS3	Resident Evil: Revelations 2	73,074	99,293	Capcom	2015-03-19
PSV	Super Robot Wars Z III: Tengoku Hen	98,624	98,624	Bandai Namco	2015-04-02

Games with legs (2015 sales - including week 1) over 100K this year so far:
3DS Youkai Watch 2: Shin Uchi - 544,210
3DS Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire - 309,386
3DS Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 228,516
WIU Super Smash Bros. WIU - 144,366
3DS Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 143,385
WIU Mario Kart 8 - 111,837

Random craziness - Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 57,420

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
add Minecraft to "really close / probably will" ;)

that would mean PSV 4 - 3DS 1 eh eh eh

I was debating Minecraft, but considering its digital release in 2014, until its retail release crosses 100K (which I'm sure it will), I didn't want to list it yet.

Takao

Banned

I don't know what Square Enix could release on Vita at this point that would excite people. Dissidia would've been a no brainer, but it looks like Sony couldn't let that happen. I can't see it getting KH anything, other than ports, which are already highly unlikely. Lord of Vermillion co-op action games should probably stay dead. Vita doesn't seem to be a part of the chosen two for Dragon Quest. XII HD would also be a no brainer, but who's to say they won't need to sell another XV demo? Mana is supposedly getting a revival (on platforms unknown), but that name has probably been attached to more bad than good at this point. Star Ocean isn't big enough to support spinoffs and the games people would want to replay have already been released on a handheld. Million Arthur should stay on phones. I'd hope they're smart enough to not trot out Type-0 again.

oh
it's going to be final fantasy x-3 isn't it
nightmares do come true

Best selling games on Amazon in 2015 based on pre-orders alone!

#15 - Persona 4 Dancing (PSV)
#18 - Metal Gears Solid 5 (PS4)
#21 - Dragon Quest X (Wii U)
#24 - Metal Gear Solid 5 (PS4)
#26 - Xenoblade X (Wii U)
#33 - Dragon Quest X (Wii)
#48 - Kancolle (PSV)
#57 - Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition (3DS)
#59 - Bravely Second (3DS)
#62 - Kancolle (PSV)
#64 - Bravely Second (3DS)
#65 - Xenoblade X (Wii U)
#68 - Girls Mode 3 (3DS)
this proves this list is irrelevant but i have come this far so whatever
#80 - Miku Mirai Remix (3DS)
#85 - Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition (3DS)
#88 - Fire Emblem If (3DS)

prwxv3

Best selling games on Amazon in 2015 based on pre-orders alone!

#15 - Persona 4 Dancing (PSV)
#18 - Metal Gears Solid 5 (PS4)
#21 - Dragon Quest X (Wii U)
#24 - Metal Gear Solid 5 (PS4)
#26 - Xenoblade X (Wii U)
#33 - Dragon Quest X (Wii)
#48 - Kancolle (PSV)
#57 - Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition (3DS)
#59 - Bravely Second (3DS)
#62 - Kancolle (PSV)
#64 - Bravely Second (3DS)
#65 - Xenoblade X (Wii U)
#68 - Girls Mode 3 (3DS)
this proves this list is irrelevant but i have come this far so whatever
#80 - Miku Mirai Remix (3DS)
#85 - Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition (3DS)
#88 - Fire Emblem If (3DS)

is number 18 supposed to be PS3 instead of PS4

Takao

Banned
sammy, did it really take you until style savvy to start questioning that list
i mean, you have a dragon quest x wii u expansion at #3
that'll probably sell well for a third party wii u game, but ehhh

I was debating Minecraft, but considering its digital release in 2014, until its retail release crosses 100K (which I'm sure it will), I didn't want to list it yet.

sure, that's the reason I said "add to probably will"
it should be a question about just a couple of weeks, considering how solid are its sales

ivysaur12

Banned
sammy, did it really take you until style savvy to start questioning that list
i mean, you have a dragon quest x wii u expansion at #3
that'll probably sell well for a third party wii u game, but ehhh

More telling, it's above the Wii version. I can't see the WiiU version doing better.

Top Bottom