• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2012 (Apr 09 - Apr 15)

enishi

http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/event/capcomjam/
http://andriasang.com/con0ru/capcom_summer_jam/

Resident Evil 6 (PS3/360)
DmC (PS3/360)
Lost Planet 3 (PS3/360)
Sengoku Basara HD Collection (PS3)
Monster Hunter 4 (3DS)
Street Fighter vs Tekken (PSV)
Ace Attorney 5 (???)
Unexpected Game (???)

They are also teasing "special guests", Hino is probably attending the event. May 10th ties with Soul Sacrifice event and Famitsu.

Where does the list come from? I can't find it from Capcom's site...

watershed

Banned
So the Capcom event ties in with Soul Sacrifice? Maybe Sony got them to make a next-gen monster hunter clone while the actual series is now bound to Nintendo hardware. That would be interesting.

According to Andriasang, Hatsune Miku might have a release date of August 30. If true, that would be the same day Senran Kagura Burst gets released. I wonder which would open higher. Most likely Burst, I guess.

watershed

Banned
According to Andriasang, Hatsune Miku might have a release date of August 30. If true, that would be the same day Senran Kagura Burst gets released. I wonder which would open higher. Most likely Burst, I guess.

Isn't it kind of odd that Senran Kagura (this is the 3ds boobs game right?) is getting a sequel to fast? I guess they really want to capitalize on its popularity before someone else swoops in and steals the 3d boobs mantle from them.

guek

Banned
Isn't it kind of odd that Senran Kagura (this is the 3ds boobs game right?) is getting a sequel to fast? I guess they really want to capitalize on its popularity before someone else swoops in and steals the 3d boobs mantle from them.

Well there's a bountiful bevy of merchandising opportunities...

aoGQ5.jpg

So ya know, they have to milk the franchise while it's still fresh I guess.

It's not strange in general, it's strange for a Nintendo console. Third parties are always reluctant to push their IP there, I don't know why, even if the first attempts were successful.

I could see burst doing very well probably better than the first, the 3ds will have far far more than double the userbase that it had when the first came out, and i believe the first was noticably supply constrained which is never good for sales but even so managed a very good ltd

And if its the vita version of miku that launches that day it'll be burst that comes out on top no contest

I could see burst doing very well probably better than the first, the 3ds will have far far more than double the userbase that it had when the first came out, and i believe the first was noticably supply constrained which is never good for sales but even so managed a very good ltd

If the first one is at 80k, the second one could do... 90k.

new steins; gate?

is it a spin-off? holy cow if mainline

---
also regarding Capcom timing coincidence, another possibility is that in fact this Soul Sacrifice game is going to compete with Mon Hon, and that is why Capcom has set the date of its event exactly the same, to overshadow the Sony presentation

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
almost everyone is foreseeing very low results for Dinasty Warriors VS.
How can we justify, if possible, these low numbers?
I mean: Samurai did quiet well on 3DS. Dinasty did poorly on Vita. Now probably Dinasty will did bad also on 3DS. Instead the "Crossovers" like Hokuto no Ken or One Piece did very well on PS3.
Is that a portable problem with this kind of game? Is that a problem of the old and milked brand, that should take a breath leaving the market to the crossovers approach (maybe with other famous mangas?)

Bruno MB

Media Create has it at 85,229 as of 2012-01-01.

I can't wait to see how well Fire Emblem: Awakening did it in its first week.

I mean: Samurai did quiet well on 3DS. Dinasty did poorly on Vita. Now probably Dinasty will did bad also on 3DS. Instead the "Crossovers" like Hokuto no Ken or One Piece did very well on PS3.
Is that a portable problem with this kind of game? Is that a problem of the old and milked brand, that should take a breath leaving the market to the crossovers approach (maybe with other famous mangas?)

Dynasty Warriors historically more relevant on Sony hardware + 3DS packed with more important software (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and all other games keep selling) + Samurai Warriors was a launch title and this surely helped a lot.

Edit: franchise fatigue surely is a factor BUT since we acknowledge that we're far from the million copies sold on PS2, the last one on PS3 still put almost 500k units.

Media Create has it at 85,229 as of 2012-01-01.

I can't wait to see how well Fire Emblem: Awakening did it on its first week.

Thanks, less than i thought but still i good number, time will tell if the sequel does better

I'm thinking fire emblem will be closer to 300k than it is to 250k

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Dynasty Warriors historically more relevant on Sony hardware + 3DS packed with more important software (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and all other games keep selling) + Samurai Warriors was a launch title and this surely helped a lot.

Edit: franchise fatigue surely is a factor BUT since we acknowledge that we're far from the million copies sold on PS2, the last one on PS3 still put almost 500k units.

You are rights, those could be the reasons.
BUt those are also problems.
Problems for Nintendo: if a brand performs better on Sony hw, is a problem for Nintendo/3ds.
Problems for Tecmo-Koei: the brand could perform better on Vita but Vita's issues affected a lot also tha latest Dinasty episode on Sony's hw
Problems for the portable markets: relative problem, I recognize. But this could lead the shift of the franchise (with the main episodes) only on the home consoles.

Its only a couple of days from release and it hasnt even appeared at all on the comgnet chart, it really isnt going to sell anything, samurai did very well but despite dynasty being the bigger franchise normally it seems no one wants this game

You are rights, those could be the reasons.
BUt those are also problems.
Problems for Nintendo: if a brand performs better on Sony hw, is a problem for Nintendo/3ds.
Problems for Tecmo-Koei: the brand could perform better on Vita but Vita's issues affected a lot also tha latest Dinasty episode on Sony's hw
Problems for the portable markets: relative problem, I recognize. But this could lead the shift of the franchise (with the main episodes) only on the home consoles.

I don't think VS would have done better on Vita; we all have seen Next numbers, which are quite depressing, since DQ has always been a top-series on Sony hardware, in particular during the launch window.

Btw, there are some episodes of third-party games that performed bad on 3DS; in some cases, there are some justifications, in other it's probably that 3DS userbase is not receptive on such titles as PSP userbase was not for brands (e.g. Harvest Moon, training, Itadaki Street) that did well on DS. It's not that a console that sells well must have all games succeed, imo.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Its only a couple of days from release and it hasnt even appeared at all on the comgnet chart, it really isnt going to sell anything, samurai did very well but despite dynasty being the bigger franchise normally it seems no one wants this game

yeah I know. I was wondering if it's possible to see reasons/consequences.

I don't think VS would have done better on Vita; we all have seen Next numbers, which are quite depressing, since DQ has always been a top-series on Sony hardware, in particular during the launch window.

Btw, there are some episodes of third-party games that performed bad on 3DS; in some cases, there are some justifications, in other it's probably that 3DS userbase is not receptive on such titles as PSP userbase was not for brands (e.g. Harvest Moon, training, Itadaki Street) that did well on DS. It's not that a console that sells well must have all games succeed, imo.

I don't think that 3ds is perfect neither. And in my previous post I explained that the problem is also and especially on Tecmo-Dinasty side, looking at the situation.
I think that we will see as usual a huge number of Mosou games, but less Samurai-Dinasty and more "Manga's tie-in" episode. and less portable iteration and more home iteration (maybe multiplatfomr PS3-Wii U as we saw for Samurai and Basara between PS3 and Wii)

I don't think that 3ds is perfect neither. And in my previous post I explained that the problem is also and especially on Tecmo-Dinasty side, looking at the situation.
I think that we will see as usual a huge number of Mosou games, but less Samurai-Dinasty and more "Manga's tie-in" episode. and less portable iteration and more home iteration (maybe multiplatfomr PS3-Wii U as we saw for Samurai and Basara between PS3 and Wii)
Think you're jumpin the gun a bit, lets see whether Musou games grows on the 3DS and the Vita when the userbase gets bigger first.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
And yet there will be a 3DS, PS2, and PSP version. Pretty weird.

3DS - Not weird, and it's already selling better than the Wii version in Japan.
PSP - The second best-selling version in Japan. How is that weird?
PS2 - Why not? These versions still sell in Latin America and probably other regions as well.

matmanx1

No PES on Vita does seem like a strange decision. Especially considering Konami went forward with a Pro Baseball Spirits version for Vita and the New Little King's Story. And is working on the Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

An up-ressed PSP version with some AA applied couldn't cost all that much to release, could it? I won't pretend to understand the decision but it is what it is.

ElFly

No PES on Vita does seem like a strange decision. Especially considering Konami went forward with a Pro Baseball Spirits version for Vita and the New Little King's Story. And is working on the Metal Gear Solid HD collection.

An up-ressed PSP version with some AA applied couldn't cost all that much to release, could it? I won't pretend to understand the decision but it is what it is.

You can't question this and mention new little king story in the same sentence, since this title bombed super hard.

Dunno about the baseball game.

TBF Their probably looking at install base and Software sales and Vita really doesn't cut it. Why their doing it for PS2 god knows.

PS2 version will still move quite a few units.

NeonZ

Samurai Warriors Chronicles, in spite of being a 3DS exclusive, and having new mission mechanics, basically still followed the format of the traditional console releases, with big battlefields and many units spread around it. DW Vs seems to have a redesigned mission structure for "shorter" portable play. The maps seem to be composed by big "squares" with pathways between them, rather than the open battlefields from the other games.

I guess this attempt at appealing to a handheld userbase has completely backfired with the game's fanbase.

Busaiku

It's not like Samurai Warriors Chronicles did amazingly though.
It's a very low entry in the series and most of its sales came after discounting.

Spiegel

3DS (and PSP since 2010) are not good plaftorms for conventional Musou games in 2012 and beyond. Graphic capabilities do matter in this genre and that's why I'm not ruling Vita out if it ever picks up some momentum.

I think One Piece musou or another unconventional musou would do much better on 3DS than Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors.

3DS (and PSP since 2010) are not good plaftorms for conventional Musou games in 2012 and beyond. Graphic capabilities do matter in this genre and that's why I'm not ruling Vita out if it ever picks up some momentum.

I think One Piece musou or another unconventional musou would do much better on 3DS than Dynasty Warriors or Samurai Warriors.

I still think they should do a crossover with a Nintendo franchise.
Like, Mario where you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser and just fight hordes enemies from the different games.

3DS - Not weird, and it's already selling better than the Wii version in Japan.
PSP - The second best-selling version in Japan. How is that weird?
PS2 - Why not? These versions still sell in Latin America and probably other regions as well.

That would make sense if Vita version was difficult to develop for - but if you have assets from PS3 version it should be ultra easy porting.

wsippel

Banned
Well there's a bountiful bevy of merchandising opportunities...

So ya know, they have to milk the franchise while it's still fresh I guess.
Yep. It already got several CDs, artbooks, a monthly manga, body pillows and what not, and a TV show is in the works as well.

muu

Surprised that no one is foreseeing a DokiDoki Majo Shinpan situation with Kagura Burst. The first one sold so well primarily because of the timing (after price drop, almost immediately after the MH3G announcement, and in the middle of a huge software drought), and I doubt there's going to be a repeat of such a situation this time around. The new game is clearly rehashing the previous game's engine (and reusing the models from the enemy's side -- doesn't look to me like they improved much of anything from those screenshots), so I wonder how that'll be taken as well. You also have the likely odd timing of the anime -- supposedly Marvelous' summer lineup is already filled, which would mean an October start. Releasing the game before the anime seems to run against the whole premise of using the anime as an advertisement for the game (though their aim could be to keep the momentum going and increase sales of anime DVDs).

NeonZ

It's not like Samurai Warriors Chronicles did amazingly though.
It's a very low entry in the series and most of its sales came after discounting.

It's not like SWC received the same kind of production values that the main games get though even if it was closer to their style. Most assets, like character models, movesets and stages were just reused from Samurai Warriors 3XL.

They reformulated the mission structure completely (only using old maps though), recorded a lot of new dialogue, including many conversations outside of missions (although I think they missed a chance here by not making the conversations romance focused, like the supports in the newest Fire Emblem, that seems like it'd make them much more appealing to the people who are into those things) and the only actual playable additions were two movesets with two generic characters who can't even be as customized as the custom characters in the original SW3/XL. And, in spite of the recycling, SWC actually had less content than the original SW 3. In any case, I thought the game was pretty fun (mostly due to the new mission structure) and it seemed well received by the people who actually played it. That strategy seemed to be successful enough compared to their upcoming attempt at least. SWC didn't sell as well as the console counterparts, but I don't think it needed to.

I don't doubt that an entry with higher production values still wouldn't have sold as much as a PS3 release though, but SWC seemed to be a good base for the next handheld entries and they seem to be throwing it away now...

I still think they should do a crossover with a Nintendo franchise.
Like, Mario where you can play as Mario, Luigi, Peach and Bowser and just fight hordes enemies from the different games.

Not Mario by itself, but I think a Super Smash Musou could work...

3DS (and PSP since 2010) are not good plaftorms for conventional Musou games in 2012 and beyond. Graphic capabilities do matter in this genre
It'd be easier to buy if most of the big names in this genre weren't multiplatform between not only X360 and PS3, but PS2 or Wii.

Top Bottom