• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 15, 2017 (Apr 10 - Apr 16)

KtSlime

Gravity Rush and Freedom Wars?

Yes, those are the two. Maybe Sony had something besides those, but if they did they were not advertised at all.

Sony has no interest in the Japanese market aside from promising Japanese developers the PS4 and West as a land of milk and honey. I don't expect them to try the handheld market for a third time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Dubious Sony rumour from well-known Sony-biased affiliate blog ��

Oh, good, I'm not alone in seeing how whoever's in charge of Hokanko is strongly Sony-biased. Strangely enough, it's something I realised in the past few months, once the avalanche of posts about Switch appeared XD

dracula_x

It'd be interesting to see what a Vita 2 looks like. Sony dropped Vita like a rock even in Japan and considering the market trends aren't exactly in favor of dedicated handheld machines, it strikes me as rather likely a Vita 2 would sell even worse. If Vita's sales weren't enough for Sony to develop games for it, why would it change with a successor? With that in mind the idea of Sony spending a considerable amount of money on developing new games for a handheld platform doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

Maybe a "Vita 2" could be something like a cheap dedicated remote play handheld. A relatively low-key and low-risk device (kinda like PSTV) that doesn't need much support from Sony, but which might be enough to keep loyal Vita fans satisfied and in Sony's ecosystem.

maybe :)

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lnNGi44.gif[/IMG]

→ http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1344913

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The opportunity is still real.
Why not? Vita was a success, in Japan, and against stronger, more agile competition.

No it wasn't it has less than a quarter of it's main competitor's sales and only managed to achieve rough the same attach ratio while also being a massive contraction from it's proceeding product. There's many ways to describe this scenario but success is not one of them.

Under these descriptions we may as well call the Wii U a success.

Vinnk

The opportunity is still real.
Why not? Vita was a success, in Japan, and against stronger, more agile competition.

By what measure?

And even if that were true, does a Japan-Only follow-up to the Vita make financial sense?

Or are we suggesting a worldwide release?

I'll go back to:

buywhy.gif

No it wasn't it has less than a quarter of it's main competitor's sales and only managed to achieve rough the same attach ratio while also being a massive contraction from it's proceeding product. There's many ways to describe this scenario but success is not one of them.

Under these descriptions we may as well call the Wii U a success.

This as well.

Vena

I too cannot wait to give my money to a follow up for a product to which the company has shown nothing but incompetence and neglect for the past half decade.

That is definitely a logical and wise decision to make financially.

tzare

Vita 2 does not make sense at all, unless sony manages to reduce PS4's soc so it could be used in a portable device with decent battery life.Then a portable, only digital, ps4 could make some sense. But that will not happen

sinonobu

Banned
I too cannot wait to give my money to a follow up for a product to which the company has shown nothing but incompetence and neglect for the past half decade.

What are you talking about? Koei Tecmo supported their console very well!
/s

LordKano

You bought a Switch tho

redcrayon

I love portables but to be honest Sony hasn't filled me with hope regarding their support for their own product with the Vita. Their best teams have rarely shown any interest in decent portable software, it's obvious their hearts are in home cinema setups, and if just streaming from the PS4 library would be the intention, that's something the Vita could do already and it didn't change its fortunes.

Oregano

Not that I think it's happening but I don't think Sony would need to ever develop anything for a hypothetical Vita 2. Third parties would line up to support it anyway.

Fiendcode

Not that I think it's happening but I don't think Sony would need to ever develop anything for a hypothetical Vita 2. Third parties would line up to support it anyway.
Some would but I feel it would be a diminishing field. Vita got far less 3rd party support than PSP did after all, and a Vita successor would have even worse prospects.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I doubt Sony thinks its a good idea to launch new hardware on the basis of maybe getting mid-tier Japanese support.

LordKano

Incompetence sure. But not neglect. Nintendo supported that thing long past when any other platform holder would have abandoned it.

It being the follow up to the 3DS and WiiU is a bit different. And the WiiU was stupid but it was no neglected.

Eh I don't know. I was just trolling anyway >.>

Yes, all third-parties would be really glad to line up for a console that will sell 10M LTD at most.

jonno394

So the companies not rushing to support switch would line up to back a device which sells exponentially less.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Small curiosity about Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi - it's the first brand new main chapter of the series to release on a Nintendo system since Nobunaga's Ambition: Tenshoki on Super Nintendo {1996.1.26}: since its release, the only Nobunaga's Ambition games that have released on Nintendo platforms are the following

Most recent Nobunaga's Ambition appearences on Nintendo, ranked by LTDs - Name | Date | FW | LTD | brief description of the game

NDS Nobunaga's Ambition DS 2 {2008.7.31} - 9.398 | 53.771 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness, 4th chapter in the series
3DS Nobunaga's Ambition {2013.9.19} - 8.024 | 24.373 | IIRC it's a remake, but I can't find exact infos
NDS Battle Nobunaga's Ambition: Kunitori Zunou {2008.6.26} - 7.100 | 23.538 | Spin-off
NDS Nobunaga's Ambition DS {2006.4.27} - ? | 17.143 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition: Reppuden, 8th chapter in the series
3DS Nobunaga's Ambition 2 {2015.8.6} - 4.443 | 6.461 | Remake of Nobunaga's Ambition DS | Remake-ception
WII Nobunaga's Ambition: Iron Triangle with Power-Up Kit {2006.3.6} - 650 | 2.747 | Power-Up Kit version of the most recent installment, released also on PS2*

* the PS2 version released on the same day, with the following sales - 9.465 | 31.379

Oregano

Some would but I feel it would be a diminishing field. Vita got far less 3rd party support than PSP did after all, and a Vita successor would have even worse prospects.

Vita still punches far above its weight in regards to third party support.

I doubt Sony thinks its a good idea to launch new hardware on the basis of maybe getting mid-tier Japanese support.

I agree, but I also don't think first party support would make any difference to the hypothetical platform unless it somehow got all the same teams/support as PS4.

Kyoufu

I don't think Sony consider Vita a "success". Nobody does. I think they're better off making mobile games than a new dedicated handheld. Leave that market for Nintendo.

extralite

Sony's secondary gaming focus is VR.

They're done with handhelds.

The PSVR screen is 5.7 inches. The Vita's is 5 inches. The Switch's is 6.2 inches.

You see how a Vita R with a bigger screen and HDMI in could double as a handheld and a HMD for PS4? Even better if they manage to get latency free streaming.

VR is exactly the reason why there might be another Sony handheld.

Rolf NB

By what measure?
It sold 4 million units of software in its sixth year on the market with minimal / zero first-party investment. So ... software royalties?
Vinnk said:
And even if that were true, does a Japan-Only follow-up to the Vita make financial sense?

Or are we suggesting a worldwide release?
Japan is the only region that really still matters for handhels. It would at least be Japan first, way first, if not Japan only.
Strategy cliff notes:
* make it cheap, to perpetually undercut Switch on cost and price
* make it fully BC and stay on the same architecture (cf PS4 Pro) so both users and devs can transition naturally

I don't think Sony consider Vita a "success". Nobody does. I think they're better off making mobile games than a new dedicated handheld. Leave that market for Nintendo.
Why?

It sold 4 million units of software in its sixth year on the market with minimal / zero first-party investment. So ... software royalties?
Japan is the only region that really still matters for handhels. It would at least be Japan first, way first, if not Japan only.
Strategy cliff notes:
* make it fully BC and stay on the same architecture (cf PS4 Pro) so both users and devs can transition naturally

Software royalties are what? Averaging 5 bucks maybe? Proper big money spinner

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Strategy cliff notes:

Why?
That's barely anything. Sony makes a comparable amount with a sing me first party release on the ps4.

Datschge

5.5 million sales is a lot to some people. Sega effectively killed themselves to get those 5.5 million Sega Saturn sales in Japan.
Eh, Saturn is their most successful consumer system in Japan. Sega killed themselves by prematurely throwing that install base away for a DOA Dreamcast.

Eolz

PREDICTION LEAGUE MAY 2017

Predict how much these titles will sell in the month (from May 1 to May 28):

[NSW] Nintendo Switch Hardware [3rd month] (28 days) - 215k
[NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [2nd month] (28 days) - 228k
[PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (4 days) - 26k
[NSW] Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (3 days) - 32k

Vinnk

Strategy cliff notes:

Why?

For a company as big as Sony, the royalties off 4 million pieces of software is not very substantial. Surly not enough to be worth the R&D costs associated with bringing a Japan-only successor to the Vita to market.

Also, likely the only way to undercut the Switch price in a meaningful way would be to release a Vita 2 that has:
1. Similar specs to the Switch but with a lower price.
2. Lower specs than the Switch but a much lower price.
3. Higher specs than the Switch, and a lower price but with each unit sold at a loss.

The first 2 don't make much sense and the 3rd is crazy talk unless Sony really felt the 3rd time is the charm.

That said, I would buy this hypothetical Vita 2 in a heartbeat. I love my Vita and Vita TV. I like competition in the handheld space. But it makes almost no business sense for them to make it.

Top Bottom