• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 17, 2015 (Apr 20 - Apr 26)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
mh5 for november 2016 too? nx launch is shaping up nice.

Indeed. Zelda, Pokémon Z, Monster Hunter 5...such a big lineup! /s
But I actually believe Pokémon could be one of the launch games, if it doesn't release this year (likey), neither next February (unkown).Cross-gen, of course.

86k first week for Xenoblade isn't a total disaster, I guess. Will be more popular in the west, so we may even see it get within spitting distance of one million worldwide. Hyrule Warriors did, with 120-130k LTD in Japan.

Kanann

86k first week for Xenoblade isn't a total disaster, I guess. Will be more popular in the west, so we may even see it get within spitting distance of one million worldwide. Hyrule Warriors did, with 120-130k LTD in Japan.

It'll not hit million

my guessing is 350k-500k WW at most

Mpl90

Oh yeah, include me among the people who are surprised by DQX's result. Especially on Wii U, considering its status! And I wonder how digital sales have been (going by how things went when the original and the first expansion released...even if I doubt the numbers will be similar to the first expansion's digital sales).

It'll not hit million

Think it'll drop that much? The first game did 500k in NA alone.

I don't think 1 million worldwide is a sure or even likely thing, but I think there's a chance, depending on release window in NA/EU. My guess would be around 700k WW.

Wii U sucks, it's dead, and a 86k game was able to replicate the similar bump that a 400k game had. Wii U's weekly sales were 7k average? It triplicated the performance this week, it did its best, imho.

I just realized how overestimated was my expectation after Phamit reminded me how WiiU performed during MK8 launch

sense

Oh yeah, include me among the people who are surprised by DQX's result. Especially on Wii U, considering its status! And I wonder how digital sales have been (going by how things went when the original and the first expansion released...even if I doubt the numbers will be similar to the first expansion's digital sales).
I think we can always include you to be positively surprised by the sales performance of any title on a certain ecosystem:)

kswiston

Think it'll drop that much? The first game did 500k in NA alone.

I don't think 1 million worldwide is a sure or even likely thing, but I think there's a chance, depending on release window in NA/EU. My guess would be around 700k WW.

Where did you get 500k for Xenoblade in North America? That's like Dark Souls territory, and It was a Gamestop exclusive.

L~A

Indeed. Zelda, Pokémon Z, Monster Hunter 5...such a big lineup! /s
But I actually believe Pokémon could be one of the launch games, if it doesn't release this year (likey), neither next February (unkown).Cross-gen, of course.

Just like BW2 was on DS, it's pretty much guaranteed the next Pokémon game will be on 3DS no matter when the 4DS launches. But a mainline Pokémon game will more likely be released sooner in the 4DS lifecycle (2017 seems like the safest bet).

2016 is pretty much guaranteed to get a Pokémon game, since it'll be the 20th anniversary... and there most likely won't be one this year (it would have been announced already), and it's unlikely they're going have two years without a mainline Pokémon.

Now, where the hell is that Pikachu Detective game, ha ha.

86k for XCX and >20k for the Wii U is not bad at all, a lot better than i expected. Are some people really waiting pokemon or mk8 numbers? Lolol

E-phonk

Banned
It'll not hit million

Maybe not a million, but my expectations would be +500k for sure, landing somewhere in between 500k & 1m. The first game didn't get a lot of exposure, and the game has been heavily advertised in the west already.

I'd assume they'll have another E3 trailer + release date and the 3DS game will bring some new fans in.

Where did you get 500k for Xenoblade in North America? That's like Dark Souls territory, and It was a Gamestop exclusive.

It was Gamestop exlcusive, and I had read from here and there that NoA ordered a limited print run of 500k copies. Seeing as the game is almost impossible to find new, I had assumed the sell-through rate was nearly 100%.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of hits on Google for that 500k number, but none of the links seem to be able to verify the source. Suspecting chartz, so probably pretty inaccurate.

kswiston

It was Gamestop exlcusive, and I had read from here and there that NoA ordered a limited print run of 500k copies. Seeing as the game is almost impossible to find new, I had assumed the sell-through rate was nearly 100%.

I highly doubt that the print run was 500k. All Nintendo stated officially is that the game sold more in the west than it did in Japan. Considering the Japanese LTD for Xenoblade was ~200k, that doesn't really say much.

ROFLMAO.

500k wouldn't be a "limited print run". :p

500k in the US would make it a top 5 console JRPG last gen. Maybe top 3. Did FF 13-2 even hit 500k?

duckroll

I highly doubt that the print run was 500k. All Nintendo stated officially is that the game sold more in the west than it did in Japan. Considering the Japanese LTD for Xenoblade was ~200k, that doesn't really say much.

And Europe got the game like a year before the US did, without being a single retailer exclusive. So I'm sure it all adds up over time.

Mpl90

Just like BW2 was on DS, it's pretty much guaranteed the next Pokémon game will be on 3DS no matter when the 4DS launches. But a mainline Pokémon game will more likely be released sooner in the 4DS lifecycle (2017 seems like the safest bet).

2016 is pretty much guaranteed to get a Pokémon game, since it'll be the 20th anniversary... and there most likely won't be one this year (it would have been announced already), and it's unlikely they're going have two years without a mainline Pokémon.

Now, where the hell is that Pikachu Detective game, ha ha.

Surely 2016 will see a new Pokémon main game released. It'll probably be Pokémon X2/Y2 or Pokémon Z, there are enough hints about it. The question is if it'll release in February (coinciding with the Anniversary) or later. In the case it's released later, I wouldn't be that surprised if the game comes right about NX's launch, on both 3DS and NX. I know that Black & White 2 released only on DS (and well after 3DS was released, October 2012 even!), but maybe this time they'll act differently, especially seeing how much 3DS suffered in the first months due to the lack of a steady and relevant software lineup (alongside the price). In the case they go with Pokémon X2/Y2, with one of them being a next gen exclusive...it wouldn't even be the first time: the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon was released in 2005 in two versions: one for GBA and one for DS. We'll have to wait and see surely.

About the Pikachu Detective Game...yeah, I'm wondering where it is. It was a 2015 title in development since 2013. Where is it. Maybe, next few months? I mean, Animal Crossing is Summer in Japan (it seems), so right now Nintendo has no first party title in Japan for the Holidays announced. I expect that to change in the next few weeks/months (something at E3, maybe other announcements later). Personally, one of the titles I'm expecting to see announced is one between Paper Mario (Sticker Star was released in 2012, it'd be over 3 years after, but Intelligent System seems to be already busy enough) and Mario & Luigi (Dream Bros. released in Summer 2013, it'd be 2 years and almost a half after that).

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of hits on Google for that 500k number, but none of the links seem to be able to verify the source. Suspecting chartz, so probably pretty inaccurate.

If you had said 50k then maybe...

lo zaffo

I'm so happy for Xenoblade Cross that I think I will buy an European copy at proper time even if I'm not sure I will ever own a Wii U.
Com'on! Its developing + advertising costs surely must be recovered.

L~A

Media Create:

Wii U 22,898
PS4 19,782
Vita 17,748
New3DS LL 17,062
New3DS 5,901
PS3 3,956
3DS 1,520
3DS LL 1,465
Vita TV 687
Xbox One 341

85k for XCX.
98k for DQX Wii U
179k for Puzzle Mario

.... Media Create not tracking DQX Wii?! o_O

Shengar

Media Create:

Wii U 22,898
PS4 19,782
Vita 17,748
New3DS LL 17,062
New3DS 5,901
PS3 3,956
3DS 1,520
3DS LL 1,465
Vita TV 687
Xbox One 341

85k for XCX.
98k for DQX Wii U
179k for Puzzle Mario

2k difference on Vita? We'll wait for Famitsu then
Also Xbox One sell less than Vita TV :lol

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't been following sales threads for quite some time, but what is the general sentiment in this thread regarding dedicated video game consoles in Japan? Does anyone still expect PS4 to "take off" at some point, or will it follow the trend set by Wii U? Or to frame my question somewhat different: Is Wii U still considered the odd fluke? I guess there's a multitude of opinions - or hopes and dreams - around here regarding that question, but you get my point.

Is there any reason to believe (historical precedent) that Japan could be a global trend setter in this regard? That we will see the same thing happening in the west as well, though perhaps next generation?

MepH-

Neo Member
why didn't they list DQX Wii on 4gamer? Media Create tracked it, we had a Media create leak about this earlier today... (thanks hiska by the way!)
anyway; happy with the vita number from MC :)

krizzx

Today's releases {2015.04.29}

[3DS] Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition <RPG> (GungHo Online Entertainment) (¥4.320)

[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X # <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥8.316) (sold out &#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;)

[WIU] Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U Xenoblade Chronicles X Set) <RPG> (Nintendo) (¥37.800) (sold out &#21697;&#20999;&#12428;&#20013;)

Xenbolade sold out? Nice.

Is there any reason to believe (historical precedent) that Japan could be a global trend setter in this regard? That we will see the same thing happening in the west as well, though perhaps next generation?

10 years ago mobile phone gaming was definitely a 'thing' in Japan, and a common response to that here was "lol japan that will never happen here we have the DS and the PSP"

sad.gif

All that hype and marketing.

Did it even sell out at least? This is just tragic

Did it even sell out at least? This is just tragic

Doesn't seem like it.
I actually should be getting my Wii U and XenoX tomorrow.
If you're looking for it, It's available.
Heck, between the time I put the game in my Amazon.jp cart and a little bit later when I decided on the console bundle i wanted, the price dropped 300Y

Something could certainly serve as substitute for the Western home console core segment in future. Smart devices could develop to sufficiently satisfy the market; it could be PC gaming, this is probably happening to a degree already; it could be a new delivery model that utilises a combination of these and other platforms.

The Japanese market doesn't really serve as an exemplar or forerunner in this regard though, mainly because the consumer needs, behaviours, tastes, lifestyle don't necessarily align that well to major Western markets. The market has developed differently rather than more rapidly. More specifically population density and commuter lifestyle have driven migration from and substitution of home consoles with/towards dedicated handheld systems, something that I don't think anyone would say is likely in Western markets.

For certain consumer segments, these are in turn now being substituted with convergent smart devices.

hiska-kun

Hmmm... no new thread this week?

No DQX Wii numbers (even we got the leak). No need for a new thread lol

Serious now, i have to work early tomorrow, so I pass tonight
We have Dengeki, somebody could create the thread with these numbers until Chris is back again

Top Bottom