• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 19, 2015 (May 4 - May 10)

Mory Dunz

Splatoon is being advertised a lot more and currently is doing better on comgnet when I expect its sales/preorder ratio actually should be higher than XBX. So yeh, I think there's a chance of it opening over @100K.

Also FWIW, do you think Smash Wii U could hit like 750K LTD? I think 100K more sales in JP is definitely doable at this point over the lifetime of the Wii U.

Wait it's doing well on Comgnet?
I feel like the last time I saw a post, it was like at 18pt

Media Creates Top 20, really shows how badly most games launched on PSV and PS4 actually perform in the long run.

Sony platforms never had long seller games... it's very hard to find some title hanging the chart for more than 4 or 5 weeks

when I run the japan sales site I remember both PS1 and PS2 barely have games with tie-ratio around 60% or less, opposite on Nintendo platforms, since N64 days (cause we don't have data for SFC)

so it's not correct to put in bad light both PSV and PS4 for something that always happened in Sony ecosystem

was MK8 bundled in japan? i was under the impression every region except japan got that bundle.

MK8 is currently bundled in Japan, that's the reason it's reaching the 1mln milestone, without that it would be already disappeared from top30 chart

without bundles Wii U won't have had any million seller, the only title which could make it would be Animal Crossing in my opinion, but seems like N is not actually interested in it

MK8 is currently bundled in Japan, that's the reason it's reaching the 1mln milestone, without that it would be already disappeared from top30 chart

without bundles Wii U won't have had any million seller, the only title which could make it would be Animal Crossing in my opinion, but seems like N is not actually interested in it
I feel Animal Crossing is predominantly a handheld franchise, in the sense that the handheld entries are wildly more successful than their console entries.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm on the train and I've already seen 3 times the Splatoon commercial lol

Better than Xenoblade X first week.

Let's say +100k FW +200k LTD

So Nintendo hypes a new franchise, and advertises a lot and it'll sell less than Pikmin 3? That game was a real outlier, wasn't it...

LOCK

XBX and DQv3 dropped as expected. I think they will do good considering.

This week overall is meh though.
Well if we compare to a successful console the attach rates are all pretty impressive given how low the grand total is.

That said here's the million sellers on the platform: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/software/wiiu.html

Notably things like Donkey Kong and Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 aren't there, which is more the realm of this game.

Now, half that number? It's not impossible, but like I don't think the difference between 300K and 500K is all that meaningful in the grand scheme of things for the type of game this is.
Would like to clarify that this doesn't seem to be all inclusive anymore. (The link) I'm not saying that Pikmin 3 is a million seller but it could be and just not be listed.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm honestly fairly surprised that DKC:TF isn't over 1M yet when Hyrule Warriors is.

At least for Japan and the US, the #s are fairly comparable. Does it have to do with fiscal years?

Hyrule Warriors - 370K - Dec 2014 US, JP = 130K = 500K - is over 1M worldwide
DKC:TF - > 440K - Dec 2014 US, JP = 120K = > 560K - really isn't over 1M?

I feel Animal Crossing is predominantly a handheld franchise, in the sense that the handheld entries are wildly more successful than their console entries.

nowadays which title is NOT a predominantly handheld franchise ? :)

anyway, AC did good on Wii, it's family oriented, it's the only "big N franchise" which could perform really good on Wii U and also it has not been released yet (Smash was killed by 3DS release, without that it would have reached the 1mln milestone by hands down)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
nowadays which title is NOT a predominantly handheld franchise ? :)

anyway, AC did good on Wii, it's family oriented, it's the only "big N franchise" which could perform really good on Wii U and also it has not been released yet (Smash was killed by 3DS release, without that it would have reached the 1mln milestone by hands down)

Mario Kart 8 basically hit a million on its own. Sure it's in a "bundle", but the price is the same as the console + the game iirc. It might even be a bit more expensive. That's probably why Media Create counts the game even if "bundled".

LOCK

I'm honestly fairly surprised that DKC:TF isn't over 1M yet when Hyrule Warriors is.

At least for Japan and the US, the #s are fairly comparable. Does it have to do with fiscal years?

Hyrule Warriors - 370K - Dec 2014 US, JP = 130K = 500K - is over 1M worldwide
DKC:TF - > 440K - Dec 2014 US, JP = 120K = > 560K - really isn't over 1M?
Well Pikmin 3 and DK have been leggy games, so I expect if they haven't made it to 1 million they will in given time.

Chobel

Sorry for this stupid question but last week (week 18) ended in May 2nd, so how come this week (week 19) starts with May 4th?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
12./02. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 4.719 / 103.042 (-95%)

Holy shit. Supply constrained much?
What the record, I seem to remember a couple of -96%?

jnWake

So Nintendo hypes a new franchise, and advertises a lot and it'll sell less than Pikmin 3? That game was a real outlier, wasn't it...

Pikmin has slowly but surely become a beloved franchise. I think it took some time but people realized it's damn good.

Alrus

Mixi makes crazy money. Good for the guy who founded the now defunct gamerepublic.

Oh I didn't know it was the same guy, yeah he hit it big then. I remember rumors circling around the time game republic went bankrupt that he was deeply in debt and fled the country or something like that heh.

Mario Kart 8 basically hit a million on its own. Sure it's in a "bundle", but the price is the same as the console + the game iirc. It might even be a bit more expensive. That's probably why Media Create counts the game even if "bundled".

you sure that every single buyer wanted to buy MK8 when buying the Wii U ? no

so, we can't say MK8 hit a million by its own, in my opinion

anyway, regarding the "long legs which are very short on PS4 and PSV" statement by Darius, here is a nice comparison (or so I hope, cause I took me 15 minutes to made...)

best and worst tie ratio for PS1/N64 and PS2/GC era according to top20 chart for each platform (Famitsu numbers)

PS1
Minna no Golf (#7) - 6,60%
RE (#12) - 12,46%
DDR (#18) - 20,30%

RE3 (#10) - 72,65%
FF9 (#4) - 72,19%
FF8 (#2) - 71,51%

<60% - 15 titles

N64
Yoshi Story (#9) - 6,26%
MK64 (#1) - 9,37%
DKRacing (#16) - 9,96%

TLOZ:MM (#17) - 52,21%
TLOZ:OoT (#4) - 33,67%
Pokemon Stadium 2 (#12) - 29,00%

<60% - 20 titles

PS2
DW3 (#15) - 23,11%
MNG3 (#21) - 29,59%
GT3 (#6) - 32,56%

FF12 (#3) - 79,24%
FF10 (#2) - 75,25%
FFX-2 (#4) - 75,11%

<60% - 11 titles

GC
MP5 (#6) - 14,42%
AC (#8) - 14,43%
DKonga (#13) - 14,43%

RE0 (#18) - 47,51%
TLOZ:WW (#5) - 38,69%
SMS (#4) - 35,52%

<60% - 20 titles

bonus :

Wii
>60% 1 title (DQSwords considering top25)
(not completed, I stopped tracking in 2010 iirc)

so as you can see, and as I said before, historically we barely saw long-time sellers on Sony platforms, it's not something related to the current-poor-home&handheld-systems'-asses-kicked-by-N-glorious-products

the last long seller title on Sony platform was GTAV on PS3

sörine

Banned
MK8 would've probably crawled to a million on it's own eventually, it was already 700k+ pre-bundle with it's first holiday still ahead of it. This year's family bundle was a bust because it added little value over the items bundled being bought separately, it really didn't drive MK8 the way 2013's bundle moved copies of NSMBU and Wii Party U. I think they should've thrown in 3D Land or Just Dance U too.

Bruno MB

12./02. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online <RPG> (Square Enix) {2015.04.30} (¥4.104) - 4.719 / 103.042 (-95%)

Holy shit. Supply constrained much?
What the record, I seem to remember a couple of -96%?

It's not the biggest drop overall since sales for those titles that failed to chart inside first 10 or 20 top spots aren't publicly available. But without doing an exhaustive research I would say it seems to hold along with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle (-95%) the record of being the game with the largest second-week percentage drop.

By the way, going by shipment data we know it's not supply constrained, target audience for a product like this is likely to buy it during the very first days of release, this is an expansion pack that requires to have the original game and is aimed at a very hardcore crowd.

Previous Expansion Pack was as much as front-loaded as this one.

Diffense

TBH I was surprised at just how precipitous the Xenoblade drop was. At this rate it will be lucky to be on the charts at all next week. On the bright side it debuted about as well as Xenoblade Wii.

Road

Is this a new record?

Biggest second week drop inside the Famitsu Top 30 since 1996:

2015-05-04 [WII] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online (Square Enix) - 3,883 / 88,068 / -95.388%
2015-05-04 [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Inishie no Ryuu no Denshou Online (Square Enix) - 4,490 / 101,814 / -95.387%
2013-09-02 [PS3] Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Square Enix) - 11,835 / 196,297 / -93.584%
2004-11-08 [XBX] Dead or Alive: Ultimate (Tecmo) - 3,603 / 56,004 / -93.124%
2013-07-29 [PS3] Dragon's Crown (Atlus) - 7,701 / 116,732 / -92.937%
2011-06-20 [360] Steins;Gate: Hiyoku Renri no Darling (5pb.) - 2,974 / 43,447 / -92.652%
2013-09-02 [PS3] JoJo's Bizarre Adventure All-Star Battle (Bandai Namco) - 30,194 / 421,777 / -92.289%
2012-02-20 [3DS] New Love Plus (Konami) - 8,961 / 119,355 / -91.883%
2012-03-19 [PSP] Puella Magi Madoka Magica Portable (Bandai Namco) - 6,049 / 78,575 / -91.660%
2003-04-21 [PS2] Final Fantasy XI: Rise of the Zilart - Expanded Data Disk (Square Enix) - 8,699 / 105,806 / -91.042%

The majority of them being since 2012 is due to the dying retail sales in Japan, which lowers the threshold necessary for appearance inside the top 30.

There are games that have dropped worse than the DQX expansion but had the second week outside the top 30, such as:

2002-08-12 [NGB] Dragon Ball Z: Legendary Super Warriors (Banpresto) - 1,203 / 33,601 / -96.287%

But they're probably sold-out titles. We don't know if DQX is sold-out or is simply a case of everyone who wanted it bought on release. (Note the MMO presence.)

Calling it now.
Next week is going to be the worst week ever in the japanese game history.

Quoting myself. Another record low probably coming.

Famitsu, there's only one week that is worse since 1997, and these are all were the no. 1 is below 20k

2003-05-12 [GBA] Fire Emblem: Rekka no Ken - 15,426 / 190,904
2015-04-06 [PS4] Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - 16,047 / 16,047
2011-05-09 [NDS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 Professional - 17,995 / 400,736
2000-05-15 [N64] Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - 18,571 / 542,443

Looking forward to this year's May.

There's no other Wii U SKUs available then?

There have to be, otherwise Mario Kart should constantly have slightly greater sales than the Wii U does. In fact, the sales are lower, which suggests that it is not the only SKU available. Mario Kart is s HUGE franchise, so I don't see why it's so unrealistic that it can reach a million on the U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

But there's clearly Wii U SKU without it from what I can tell. Or has the stock situation basically turned into just the MK8 one?

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...=search-alias=videogames&field-keywords=Wii+U

It seems easily available to get any of them on Amazon JP. Not sure what the situation is at normal retailers.

Also, Mario Kart 8 was at this before the bundle: 10./17. [WIU] Mario Kart 8 # <RCE> (Nintendo) {2014.05.29} (¥6.156) - 3.210 / 699.588 (+1%). We don't know what %age between 700K-1M were bundles from people who didn't want the game, but at least at the time most people were buying the Wii U for the game anyways.

Arzehn

Biggest second week drop inside the Famitsu Top 30 since 1996:

The majority of them being since 2012 is due to the dying retail sales in Japan, which lowers the threshold necessary for appearance inside the top 30.

There are games that have dropped worse than the DQX expansion but had the second week outside the top 30, such as:

Interesting, looks like a lot of MMOs are there though. I believe Dragon's Crown was one of the sold out ones.

hiska-kun

You know that MK8 bundle isn't the only bundle available, right?
There's also the basic set and the Wii Sports Club bundle still available. They are cheaper than the MK8 one. Of course if they don't want to play MK8 they will buy the other options.
And judging by how was the MK8 bundle sales impact, I'm pretty sure that the others bundles are more demanded. (On amazon.jp they ranked higher a lot of times too)

Also, MK8 already sold more than 700k before the bundle was released and before holidays. One million wasn't out of question in time.

Crema

Does anyone (Hiska-kun?) know how Japanese video game retailers are feeling about the future? Are they trying to diversify or find a way to profit from mobile?

Also, MK8 already sold more than 700k before the bundle was released and before holidays. One million wasn't out of question in time.

considering the "healthy" Wii U situation I think selling 200k w/o the bundle would have been already a great result, or everyone forgot how poor were WiiU sales in the latest 12 months?

300k or more are very unlikely, of course in my opinion

PS : don't take amazon as a reference for the market

Top Bottom