• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

duckroll

Lack of waifu factor might reduce current fan interest by up to 200k, but the mobile push from Feb should have an impact of at least +100k. Scientifically proven.

Yup, eating crow there. FFXV did great.

Spit that crow out. There are others that need to eat it.

They're ok for Gravity and Yoshi. Yoshi will have decent legs so no problems to sell all the shipment. Gravity has good word of mouth so it might sell well on the long run too.

Valkyria is bad, word of mouth is killing it.

Its okay, VC4 is on its way.

Kev pls. You know better than to believe in Nomura.

Nomura gave us Noctis. Better believe it.

Draxal

Lack of waifu factor might reduce current fan interest by up to 200k, but the mobile push from Feb should have an impact of at least +100k. Scientifically proven.

They might shoehorn in an avatar into this game elike they did with Fe12. There's a new character in the trailer, and both DS remakes added new characters.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Pretty sure that's all stuff easy enough to implement. Time travelling kids and eugenics is far more difficult

ZoddGutts

People who didn't play any previous Valkyrias because they were too weird for them and want something traditional.

But it seems like those people might also just not like this new one, either. Good going Sega.

Sega has really been botching this series. VC1 came out during when the PS3 was still expensive but slowly in time sold well. Only to change the platform and type of setting of game (anime like school setting) bombs in the west.Then they find another platform (PC) where the game (VC1) sold well because of being a great port and having similarities to the gameplay of the popular X-Com series, only to decide to make some generic anime arpg game. Even if it comes to PC I don't see it selling as well VC1 did.

NieR is doing well with pre-orders - hopefully Platinum get a bit of wind back in their sails.

The game is getting some nice buzz right now from the Demo, will likely score at least 15 points higher on metacritic than the original. Lets hope its enough to boost sales.

Ōkami;228695544 said:
No data for Danganrompa but Dengeki gives LTD for the other Vita games, Danganrompa 1 & 2 reload at 161k (latest Famitsu LTD was 135k) and Another Episode at 109k (108k in Famitsu)

1-2 Reload was at 160,100 at the end of 2015 on Media Create. Another Episode 114,961 (and budget release was 2,319.

Valkyria is bad, word of mouth is killing it.

I'm surprised this game wasn't delayed and retooled. I guess they felt it was better just to push it out as it was since it was almost done anyway.

26./30. [PSV] SaGa: Scarlet Grace <RPG> (Square Enix) {2016.12.15} (¥6.800)

Good... good.

Konami are BACK!

100% Pasukaru Sensei: Perfect Paint Bombers coming to 3DS this Summer.

Well that's surprising, lol. Nintendo really are stepping in.

In Part 2, you can see Harada. So, he was at the event. At this point, if Tekken 7 for Switch doesn't happen, I'll never understand why he didn't clearly state it was not coming in that Gamestop interview from months ago, it would've saved us from useless speculation

Silly Harada, he should be making sure that he provides real leads for internet speculation!

Maybe they're still experimenting with getting it running, who knows.

I wonder if after PC sales of original Valkyria SEGA already regrets of making this abomination named Valkyria Revolution. I still think that traditional Valkyria game for PS4 and PC could have done well globally. This will flop everywhere. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of the series.

casiopao

250k isn't any extraordinary number. Maybe it will be closer to 200k but still DS games give an idea of what it will sell. If you expect this remake to be close to sales of 3DS main entries it's not happening.

I disagree with you here Chris actually. Even if this is a remake, i don't think it is comparable with the remake number here.

The reason i feel for this is tx to several factors actually.

1. FE Heroes push will help sell this title for sure as we had seen with Nintendo software sales number
2. FE this time just come out of a huge number which is Fates unlike FE:SD which come from FE on Wii which does not seems to resonate that much with JP gaming market.
3. FE: Gaiden is known by older fans as one of the worst FE actually. And if Echoes is promoted as the remake which repaired many of the older mistakes and with much better graphics, i can see it do better.

The only problem i feel is 3DS is on its Twilight(Lol how many twilight 3DS must have lol.) So, i can't see it going to have longer legs.

350k+ for me should be quite easy to reach here.

Have you seen the video (https://youtu.be/JFT044mp42g). It's 2D top-down-ish view but that's definitely some Splatoon style paint/ink shooting going on!

Yup.^^ I watched that video before which is why i feel Konami is probably the first company in JP that actually tried to copy Splatoon formula lol.^^

I am surprised that u still believe anything Sega said there Niro.^^

noshten

The game is getting some nice buzz right now from the Demo, will likely score at least 15 points higher on metacritic than the original. Lets hope its enough to boost sales.

Yes, I hope Platinum finally have some success - NieR is hopefully going to be a hit World Wide.

horuhe

And u and Chris lol. Are u guys twin there.^^ I can see Capcom shipping 2 mil actually lol. I mean, they need something to sell more here lol as their other software is not going to do any big there.^^

Do you know how Generations is pricing now? Below 2.000yen in most cases, it was very overshipped. If Capcom thinks on doing the same with Double Cross, only for the sake of shipping two million, that keikaku won't be reached. That's for sure.

kswiston

I think that the 3DS Fire Emblem revival will have an effect on echoes vs FE11-12 on DS. I dont see 500k, but 250k seems too low as well. Maybe 300-350k?

horuhe

Switch hype!
1:30am in Japan
jd1eMtd.jpg

casiopao

Do you know how Generations is pricing now? Below 2.000yen in most cases, it was very overshipped. If Capcom thinks on doing the same with Double Cross, only for the sake of shipping two million, that keikaku won't be reached. That's for sure.

Isn't Generation being overstocked is the case of retailers ask for more there? I remember the title had great legs there.^^

They didn't say they were making the series for consoles!

Lol. U think they are going to make the new VC for Vita or 3DS there?^^

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
X had the same behavior with 4. Capcom couldn't meet demand for weeks and when finally that happend hype had died. Both exceeded company's expectations for Japan, unlike 4G that fell short.

casiopao

X had the same behavior with 4. Capcom couldn't meet demand for weeks and when finally that happend hype had died. Both exceeded company's expectations for Japan, unlike 4G that fell short.

So. i guess many here predict that XX is going to follow 4G path?O_O

Aki-at

Sort of explains that this game was being pitched before the PC port was released and the company was still in that insular phase where they opted out of localising most of their products, Japanese games for the Japanese. Then after the demo feedback someone in management realised they made a huge mistake and tried to throw in strategy and turn based elements that just made the game worse.

Also I personally felt they were trying to fiill in the gap Shining has left in their portfolio, a "safe" decent sized seller catering to the RPG crowd. Be interesting to see if they can look at the potential failure of this release, see they got it badly wrong and attempt a proper Valkyria Chronicles title, since there's a sizeable userbase there.

Oregano

Isn't Generation being overstocked is the case of retailers ask for more there? I remember the title had great legs there.^^

Lol. U think they are going to make the new VC for Vita or 3DS there?^^

Hmmmm if only there was some other platform which Sega has big hits on?

Obviously talking about PC

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did you miss my question earlier or just ignoring it? :(

How is Terra Battle doing in Japan now? Is it dead?

It's not even in the top 500.

Terra Battle had a very strong launch, but the service model was non-existent at launch, and when they did start bringing one out, it was not very impressive.

One of the most important things about mobile games is to have very frequent content updates supplemented by frequent events.

You want to be releasing notable new content every 2-4 weeks for this type of game.

casiopao

History repeats. FFXV is still fresh, retailers will be more careful.

I can see that retailers will be more careful there.

But i also can not see retailers allowing themselves to get caught missing in sales anymore here as they won't had much big titles to be sold anymore there and Switch is still such an unknown quantity which can bomba like crazy and go super successful.

Terra Battle had a very strong launch, but the service model was non-existent at launch, and when they did start bringing one out, it was not very impressive.

One of the most important things about mobile games is to have very frequent content updates supplemented by frequent events.

You want to be releasing notable new content every 2-4 weeks for this type of game.

Hehe. Guess Terra Battle can't take over The Last Story mantle there.^^ Time for The Last Story 2.^^ Ninty go bank it.^^

Nyoro SF

Re: Valkyria Azure, was designed as an action RPG in an attempt to create a modern RPG for modern fans, not traditional.

However due to a lot of factors, including a combination of lethargic and harsh responses to the reveal (causing development to get heavily scaled down), and cutting down / changing the entire battle system to one totally outside of their original vision, the game ended up the way it has.

Well it's good to see that the director at least wants to make new Chronicles game too. Hopefully SEGA greenlights one despite Revolution flopping.

Home console strategy RPGs with an anime flair don't sell until they hit the bargain bins.
Japanese franchises from all corners of the market are in decline in Japan with extremely few exceptions.
So since Sega's plan to build a larger general audience for the series failed, I'm not sure what people expect them to do. Build a top-notch HD strategy RPG that won't sell at full price, to a declining (and unwilling) market?

I see a lot of people reference PC. Are they aware the game sold for $20 on PC at the start, then was reduced to $7 in a sale 4 months later? And that the PC market is much more competitive than it was three years ago, so if you want to succeed on there you better bring your A game in all aspects or have a huge familiarity hook. Do you think Sega can pull that off?

I have no doubt that a new Chronicles game is coming even before they mentioned anything (because you don't go to all this work of establishing a "Valkyria Project" umbrella otherwise), but I think it's going to be a low-to-mid budget PS4 game just like Star Ocean 5 was because that's all the Japanese market can support.

Sakaguchi isn't worried since he made bank with the FFXV money :p

BriBri

So Nintendo's Switch pricing sees the eShop only Snipperclips priced at ¥1,800. Pushmo World (perhaps the best reference point) is ¥1,080.

So Nintendo's Switch pricing sees the eShop only Snipperclips priced at ¥1,800. Pushmo World (perhaps the best reference point) is ¥1,080.

Seems like Snipperclips is one of the more reasonably priced games. It's only $20 here IIRC and impressions have been pretty positive.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Re: Valkyria Azure, was designed as an action RPG in an attempt to create a modern RPG for modern fans, not traditional.

However due to a lot of factors, including a combination of lethargic and harsh responses to the reveal (causing development to get heavily scaled down), and cutting down / changing the entire battle system to one totally outside of their original vision, the game ended up the way it has.

Are you really blaming the reaction and not Sega's poorly thought out plan at this point?

I see a lot of people reference PC. Are they aware the game sold for $20 on PC at the start, then was reduced to $7 in a sale 4 months later? And that the PC market is much more competitive than it was three years ago, so if you want to succeed on there you better bring your A game in all aspects or have a huge familiarity hook. Do you think Sega can pull that off?

I have no doubt that a new Chronicles game is coming even before they mentioned anything (because you don't go to all this work of establishing a "Valkyria Project" umbrella otherwise), but I think it's going to be a low-to-mid budget PS4 game just like Star Ocean 5 was because that's all the Japanese market can support.

I mean, Dark Souls built its fanbase and benefited from it with its sequels (DS2 took forever to reach a low price on PC and DS3 hasn't been priced low yet). So I do think if they had a proper Valkyria game already and not this shit they would've been able to sell it as a regular price game on PC assuming it was a same day release with the other versions. Namco has been doing pretty decently on PC overall because they know their bases are being built. Yes it's getting more competitive, that's what happens, but like Namco they could've benefited here because Valkyria did do so well.

By the time a Chronicles game is ready, assuming like you have that it is undoubtedly coming, maybe interest will fade, but of course that doesn't mean it might not be worth a try. Sega has basically chosen this path for Valkyria, and at the very least we know the idea of Revolution seems to be a terrible one so far.

Nyoro SF

Are you really blaming the reaction and not Sega's poorly thought out plan at this point?

I'm not framing it in terms too clearly, I should probably explain a bit more.

When the game was revealed, people literally did not give a shit about it. They ran a few Japanese social media campaigns and they fell to the ground like dead leaves. User reaction was basically a "not Chronicles, no interest". That's the lethargy I was talking about, no interest from players.

Then when they released the first demo, they got super harsh responses, throwing their development path into disarray. They lost faith and focus and tried to do an overhaul instead of just sticking to their guns. Doing that carries a lot more risk and is more likely to waste time development-wise, so they did it in a way that didn't take much work and retooled it for Vita players (command wheel). From this point on I think it was pretty clear they knew they had an unwanted title on their hands, so they basically finished what was on hand in a minimal way and then stopped.

So combine these two aspects and you get an unfinished, unrefined game with a tacked on platform to save sales the moment they realized that people simply didn't care. Everything from 1.0 demo onward reeked with lack of confidence, including public statements doubly reassuring the public that no, this is not a Chronicles game, and yes, the Valkyria series is still a functional series even if the game bombs.

I mean, Dark Souls built its fanbase and benefited from it with its sequels (DS2 took forever to reach a low price on PC and DS3 hasn't been priced low yet). So I do think if they had a proper Valkyria game already and not this shit they would've been able to sell it as a regular price game on PC assuming it was a same day release with the other versions. Namco has been doing pretty decently on PC overall because they know their bases are being built. Yes it's getting more competitive, that's what happens, but like Namco they could've benefited here because Valkyria did do so well.

By the time a Chronicles game is ready, assuming like you have that it is undoubtedly coming, maybe interest will fade, but of course that doesn't mean it might not be worth a try. Sega has basically chosen this path for Valkyria, and at the very least we know the idea of Revolution seems to be a terrible one so far.

Two things to take away from this. First is that Namco is a very adept, adaptive company with a lot of resources. They adapted very well to PC and are reaping the rewards. The second is that Sega has never demonstrated that level of adaptation. They're still running the same corporate ship they've been running since the 90's. So unfortunately for Sega, they can't convert on strategy with Valkyria the same way that Namco has converted on dark fantasy like Dark Souls. In order to do so, Sega would have to create a very PC-catered franchise in a reasonable timeframe.

I don't think the idea of Revolution was so terrible, but I think lack of experience and lack of confidence versus the competition of other solid or desirable ARPGs meant that it wasn't really possible to deliver a title with the quality that users want. Also the original reveal of the game didn't have enough elements from the previous series to hook in fans from the original strategy games. Not just tactical strategy but even just visual cues would have been good enough.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I'm not framing it in terms too clearly, I should probably explain a bit more.

When the game was revealed, people literally did not give a shit about it. They ran a few Japanese social media campaigns and they fell to the ground like dead leaves. User reaction was basically a "not Chronicles, no interest". That's the lethargy I was talking about, no interest from players.

Then when they released the first demo, they got super harsh responses, throwing their development path into disarray. They lost faith and focus and tried to do an overhaul instead of just sticking to their guns. Doing that carries a lot more risk and is more likely to waste time development-wise, so they did it in a way that didn't take much work and retooled it for Vita players (command wheel). From this point on I think it was pretty clear they knew they had an unwanted title on their hands, so they basically finished what was on hand in a minimal way and then stopped.

So combine these two aspects and you get an unfinished, unrefined game with a tacked on platform to save sales the moment they realized that people simply didn't care. Everything from 1.0 demo onward reeked with lack of confidence, including public statements doubly reassuring the public that no, this is not a Chronicles game, and yes, the Valkyria series is still a functional series even if the game bombs..

Ah okay, I see what you meant more clearly. Yeah I did follow the reaction somewhat and I saw the demo threads. I think, at the very least, you must admit that the latter was their responsibility. You can definitely put me in the camp that thought that this game shouldn't have used the Valkyria IP to begin with, but the reaction alone didn't cause the game to bomb.

I think that overall, we disagree on what Sega's strategy was here. Which is fine. Personally I think if Sega really was interested in turning Valkyria into an IP, they should have started with the new Chronicles game and they still could have made Revolution after instead of the other way around.

Top Bottom