• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

horuhe

It's 6am and Yodobashi Akiba is having its first visitors.
vnaEnRLr.jpg

Takao

Banned
It looks like lower sales than the original GR on Vita, so yeh, disappointing.

I doubt it'll open worse than the original. If it does, though, I wouldn't call that "disappointing." I'd call that disastrous. Vita's install base was <1 million when GR launched. The sequel has been in development since 2012, has been a fixture of multiple Sony events and even has a web short anime series.

Memento

I doubt it'll open worse than the original. If it does, though, I wouldn't call that "disappointing." I'd call that disastrous. Vita's install base was <1 million when GR launched. The sequel has been in development since 2012, has been a fixture of multiple Sony events and even has a web short anime series.

West will save it just like it saved FFXV and TLG though! BELIEVE.

I wonder if after PC sales of original Valkyria SEGA already regrets of making this abomination named Valkyria Revolution. I still think that traditional Valkyria game for PS4 and PC could have done well globally. This will flop everywhere. Hopefully this doesn't mean the end of the series.

Do not worry, VC4 is coming.

horuhe

For now only 30 minutes after the beginning of reservations, Zelda is the most pre-ordered game, very far from Mario Kart and 1 2 Switch.

Sterok

In the west Nintendo has been continuously emphasizing it as a home console that can also be taken on the go. Are they promoting it similarly in Japan?

horuhe

In the west Nintendo has been continuously emphasizing it as a home console that can also be taken on the go. Are they promoting it similarly in Japan?

In Japan, it seems most pepole see it as a handheld that you can plug to the TV screen a la Vita TV.

----------

On Rakuten Books, there is a SKU that comes with 8 games from the release line up that costs 82,000yen. Totally sold out. Games are: Zelda, 1 2 Switch, DQHI·II, Puyo Puyo, Bomberman, Disgaea, Setsuna and Nobunaga.

So Switch preorders already sold out in Japan? That's a surprise considering the launch lineup doesn't seems to have anything worth of note aside from Zelda.

How is the hype for new Zelda in Japan btw?

noshten

For now only 30 minutes after the beginning of reservations, Zelda is the most pre-ordered game, very far from Mario Kart and 1 2 Switch.

Good for Zelda, somewhat expected. It is very popular game in Nintendo Japan's Youtube channel relative to other videos. Its no Splatoon but I don't think we can clearly grasp the appeal of the game compared to prior Zelda entries.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Well, we have many posters in here saying it's too big for a handheld and as history has showed Japanese don't prefer big size handhelds like 3DS LL and 2DS over small size models. So, a home console.

I think I saw quotes from people at Nintendo calling it a plug-in handheld.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm tired of all this bullying shit. Not posting in the thread anymore.

Keikakudori

"Means all according to the plan"

I'm hesitant about Bomberman after hearing about its performance issues, I just need a sequel to the N64 game :c

noshten

Well, we have many posters in here saying it's too big for a handheld and as history has showed Japanese don't prefer big size handhelds like 3DS LL and 2DS over small size models. So, a home console.

I think I saw quotes from people at Nintendo calling it a plug-in handheld.

Joycons aren't a monstrosity but are obviously much more comfortable for two kids to use than for adults. If you have more than one kid Switch is a better value than prior handhelds - that's something people are sleeping on. Even the opportunity for co-op experiences with your kid on the go - changes the dynamic compared to devices prior to the Switch. Previously handhelds weren't something you could share. This also allows for better organic marketing of the device. Imagine 2 people having Switch - that means 4 Person MK8 on the go and the tablet seems perfectly serviceable for such local gameplay.

DeNa and Nintendo are also obviously focused on this with the device. It might not be big in the current marketing but parental controls seemed far more flashed out right now than any other online feature at launch. I'm sure they also either did some ads focusing people on those [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1334616&highlight]parental control videos[/URL] or simply parents are looking it up themselves.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Zelda will destroy everything else at launch but if it really happens in the end the only mini surprise wii be Bomberman coming third.

duckroll

It seems launch software pre-orders are like:

Zelda >>> 1-2-Switch > Bomberman > DQH1-2 >> the rest

If DQH1-2 does well, I'll be surprised, but that's pretty good for Nintendo because it means there is an audience for that sort of thing even though the games have also sold on "stronger" core platforms previously.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Looking at Amazon.co.jp, there are 40 Switch-related items in top 100, and a big amount of them are accessories. I don't remember is such a thing happened with other recent pre-order openings on Amazon, but it's entirely possible I'm wrong. Surely the portability help sales of specific accessories, though.

Looking at Amazon.co.jp, there are 40 Switch-related items in top 100, and a big amount of them are accessories. I don't remember is such a thing happened with other recent pre-order openings on Amazon, but it's entirely possible I'm wrong. Surely the portability help sales of specific accessories, though.

Amazon is the reference for the market in Japan, interesting

Vena

It seems launch software pre-orders are like:

Zelda >>> 1-2-Switch > Bomberman > DQH1-2 >> the rest

For those curious:
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit
I Am Setsuna
Puyo Puyo Tetris S
Disgaea 5
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13

I believe that is everything else thats at retail.

crosspost from the topic about Switch already sold-out in Japan

Yamada Denki Ikebukuro
At the kiosk one person is registering his data and what he wants to buy, on the back among the people in line 3 people holding the preorder paper

Sofmap Ikebukuro
Both systems and Zelda were sold-out, the other games were all available

Bic Camera Ikebukuro
The preorder paper, as you can see both Zelda versions are already sold-out

pictures took from 16:00 to 16:30

seems like that online it's already impossible to preorder, first one to go down Amazon (it seems around 9:30, I don't have references), then at 11:00 Bic Camera was already unavailable while Yodobashi still working
now (18:00) Yodobashi also stopped preorders.

talking about real shops, I suppose that tomorrow all shops will close their preorders, especially considering the people in line at Yamada Denki: it's always not so much frequented as Bic Camera, so people who didn't find any other place to preorder Switch went there.

of course it's impossible to make a statement cause we don't know how many units were available for all the shops, but at least there is a growing interest in Japan for Switch

I expected it to be the best selling Switch game by far, but not sell out. I'm probably overestimating the available preorders though.

The limited edition was sold out in both Bic Camera and Sofmap, don't know about Denki

The normal edition was only sold out in Bic Camera, but I wouldn't say that I'm surprised cause surely Zelda is not as much popular as it is in the west, but it's the only notable nintendo title (Arms and 1-2 Switch are new IP's)

As you can see from the first picture I posted (Sofmap) preorder tickets for all titles were available in good number, so probably Zelda will cannibalize the sales

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I expected it to be the best selling Switch game by far, but not sell out. I'm probably overestimating the available preorders though.

Zelda shipment is limited according to Switch shipment right now and 9/10 of those who preorder Switch must have preordered it too.

Oregano

For those curious:
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit
I Am Setsuna
Puyo Puyo Tetris S
Disgaea 5
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13

I believe that is everything else thats at retail.

Hmmm DQ Heroes is an order of magnitude bigger than those other titles so that makes sense. I hope they don't all completely crater though(which they will).

Orgen

I think it will be more like

250k >>> 50k > 40k > 20k >> <20k

At best for the games not named Zelda.

I'm not seeing a 20.000 FW for DQH1-2, too low... But I also was not seeing Bomberman being preordered more than DQH1-2 so what do I know!

Top Bottom