• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2017 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

Offtopic
We're on the same page and you're a reasonable poster (
except for Medarot amirit
) so nothing wrong here, but it's quite alright to quote or give names rather than use "people".
I get the feeling the word is too often used in MC threads to push some agenda (you know the usual quote "wow people were so wrong on this prediction [...] it's much better than what people predicted" etc.) while not making any proper argument or even quote the said "people" too often, because they simply don't exist or are some one time poster, or one person being terribly wrong because she's pushing for the opposite agenda.

Well just some rant on my side as I clearly don't like reading the word, "people" can ignore it as it's not directly related to this thread at all

I think it's more a matter of not remembering who exactly made that argument, or knowing that there were several posters and only remembering like one or two of them, so you don't want to single anybody out when you know there are more. Using "people" is just a way to not single out anyone. There are likely more than one poster on this board, not just in this thread, who have unrealistically high expectations for this game.

Personally, I'm a little baffled by the preorders for 1, 2, Switch. It barely even qualifies as a video game. Who are these people wanting to spend 5,000 yen for that game after they spent 30,000 yen on a console plus likely more on other games and accessories? HD Rumble seems cool and I see some interesting things coming out of that technology in future games, but as far as this game is concerned, why not play with a tree branch or something if they want to feel like they're not really holding a controller? I can't believe Bomberman is less appealing than that.

Takao

Banned
Holy shit that's way too many games released in so little time. No wonder the IP collapsed in the long term.
I'm expecting a 30k-50k range LTD mostly due to how much time passed, but there's still a chance it might... bomb.

And that doesn't include the ones that bombed so hard they didn't chart, or the digital-only releases.

I believe there's potential for the Switch game to crawl to 100k+ LTD, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

D5 shipped 172K worldwide. Japanese sales were "tough".

- Sales of Disgaea 5 = 60k in Japan; 112k overseas. Notes that they expanded to release in Asia this time. Sales in Japan were "tough" but sales in NA/EU/AS made up for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193959056&postcount=1

I find it hard to believe Disgaea 4 only sold 40k outside of Japan.

gconsole

Ōkami;228832349 said:
Wii U version of Zelda isn't on comgnet (so less than 13 points) including it doesn't make a difference when Zelda is is 20pts above Gran Turismo and 80 below Resident Evil 7.

Talking about that one, preorders for 7 are pretty bad, should be the mainline series' worst first week on PlayStation systems since the original game, likely even below Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast.

Being FPS + no well know character + almost no marketing and on the dying console market. Im pretty sure RE7 will be in the same situation as FFXV. Total sale in japan might be even half of previous game.

It is a bit sad seeing that RE6 sale was picking up and put this series back to the spotlight in japan but now it might go back down again and could be even worse consider all other factors above.

I cant really expect this gam to open more than 300k. 250k might be even more realistic.

Being FPS + no well know character + almost no marketing and on the dying console market. Im pretty sure RE7 will be in the same situation as FFXV. Total sale in japan might be even half of previous game.

It is a bit sad seeing that RE6 sale was picking up and put this series back to the spotlight in japan but now it might go back down again and could be even worse consider all other factors above.

I cant really expect this gam to open more than 300k. 250k might be even more realistic.

Still don't understand why they didn't add a third person option to it.

Celine

Blast was also released at retail in Japan and it sold a decent (for the series standard in those years) 53K.

snip Bomberman series sales
I think people need to come back to earth. It's not 1985.
I really should do a thread about how many different genres Bomberman starred in.
Many don't know that Bomberman apart its usual games was used by Hudson in a bajilion of spinoff (racing games, strategy RPG, Zelda-like, Puzzle, 3D Platform, Smash clone).

KtSlime

I think it's more a matter of not remembering who exactly made that argument, or knowing that there were several posters and only remembering like one or two of them, so you don't want to single anybody out when you know there are more. Using "people" is just a way to not single out anyone. There are likely more than one poster on this board, not just in this thread, who have unrealistically high expectations for this game.

Personally, I'm a little baffled by the preorders for 1, 2, Switch. It barely even qualifies as a video game. Who are these people wanting to spend 5,000 yen for that game after they spent 30,000 yen on a console plus likely more on other games and accessories? HD Rumble seems cool and I see some interesting things coming out of that technology in future games, but as far as this game is concerned, why not play with a tree branch or something if they want to feel like they're not really holding a controller? I can't believe Bomberman is less appealing than that.

After work and school, many Japanese spend even more time with their colleagues, doing silly stress relieving activities such as karaoke, eating, drinking, and playing games. To me, 1•2 Switch seems like a perfect fit for that time. I am not at all surprised that it could sell well.

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking (2017.01.21) (Switch Pre-orders!)

01./01. [3DS] Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World <ACT> (Nintendo)
02./06. [3DS] Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS <ACT> (Nintendo)
03./03. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
04./07. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
05./02. [PS4] Gravity Rush 2 <ADV> (Sony Interactive)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking (2017.01.21) (Switch Pre-orders!)

01./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
02./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
03./00. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Collector's Edition) <ADV> (Nintendo)
04./00. [NSW] 1-2-Switch <TBL> (Nintendo)
05./00. [NSW] Super Bomberman R <ACT> (Konami)
06./00. [WiiU] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
07./02. [PS4] Resident Evil 7 (Grotesque Ver.) <ACT> (Capcom)
08./00. [NSW] Dragon Quest Heroes I·II <RPG> (Square Enix)
09./00. [NSW] Puyo Puyo Tetris S <TBL> (Sega)
10./06. [3DS] Monster Hunter XX <ACT> (Capcom)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm hesitant about Bomberman after hearing about its performance issues, I just need a sequel to the N64 game :c

235px-bomberman64sa_bscboh.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
D5 shipped 172K worldwide. Japanese sales were "tough".

- Sales of Disgaea 5 = 60k in Japan; 112k overseas. Notes that they expanded to release in Asia this time. Sales in Japan were "tough" but sales in NA/EU/AS made up for it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=193959056&postcount=1

Though for some reason, Disgaea 5 got a Greatest Hits label, not joking.

What is the criteria for getting a GH label? I know it's sales amount though.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Mario Kart 8 is the first real test of Switch for Nintendo. It's coming shortly after launch, port from Wii U with few additions, just in time for Golden Week.

jonno394

I wonder what SE expectations are for DQ Heroes 1-2? Over 200k people already bought a portable version of DH Heroes 2, so DQ Heroes on the go isn't really a new thing for consumers.

Orgen

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/a...ary-event-dai-gyakuten-saiban-2-concert-more/

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 confirmed for 3DS at the Gyakuten Saiban event. I suppose it'll be released around this Summer, like the last AA games in Japan.

Good to see it confirmed, now release it on the west!!! As I said 3DS still has some unannounced games left for 2017 (even from Nintendo) so I expect a soft decline from last year (>1 million 3DS sold this year).

And for Oregano, NIS already confirmed more Switch support besides Disgaea 5 so keep your doom and gloom for yourself when the game bombs at launch ;D

gconsole

Still don't understand why they didn't add a third person option to it.

Because it doesn't work. The game that designed around first person perspective is not easy to transfer the same experience into third person. It might give the player option , but it will feel very wrong and bland. You don't feel as immersive as first person, yet you lack all ability that the game should allow you to do with 3rd person camera angle, etc. That's why we don't usually get the hybrid between the two.

Apart from creativity point of view, I kind of see that Capcom might partially give up on japanese console ( or even videogame ) market in general. That's why they decide to take the risk and go full blow on FPS which is more preferable on western world. The same happen to FFXV when they change the tone so much that it is so obvious what audience they are after.

I still hope the game success. Even though it looks even more westernize now, it still has some unique japanese design philosophy that we don't get from western game.

Because it doesn't work. The game that designed around first person perspective is not easy to transfer the same experience into third person. It might give the player option , but it will feel very wrong and bland. You don't feel as immersive as first person, yet you lack all ability that the game should allow you to do with 3rd person camera angle, etc. That's why we don't usually get the hybrid between the two.

Apart from creativity point of view, I kind of see that Capcom might partially give up on japanese console ( or even videogame ) market in general. That's why they decide to take the risk and go full blow on FPS which is more preferable on western world. The same happen to FFXV when they change the tone so much that it is so obvious what audience they are after.

I still hope the game success. Even though it looks even more westernize now, it still has some unique japanese design philosophy that we don't get from western game.

Pretty much what I came to post. RE's sales are declining in Japan and its future as a franchise is in the west. As you said adding a 3rd person option is like designing a whole new game. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good to see it confirmed, now release it on the west!!! As I said 3DS still has some unannounced games left for 2017 (even from Nintendo) so I expect a soft decline from last year (>1 million 3DS sold this year).

And for Oregano, NIS already confirmed more Switch support besides Disgaea 5 so keep your doom and gloom for yourself when the game bombs at launch ;D

What's "curious" is that this quote doesn't come from the Famitsu interview which had a thread here days ago, but from a 4Gamer interview that happened 8 days ago and that somehow just recently got translated. So weird.

EDIT: Actually, NintendoEverything's article is a mix up between both Famitsu and 4Gamer's interviews, and (reading them through Google Translate) the future support tidbit seemingly comes from Famitsu's. Just wanted to clarify on this matter.

I sincerly hope Pokémon Stars, if it's real, is not a 3DS exclusive XD

Oregano

Yeah I saw that, it will be interesting to see what/when they announce Switch stuff then.

Pretty much what I came to post. RE's sales are declining in Japan and its future as a franchise is in the west. As you said adding a 3rd person option is like designing a whole new game. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Resident Evil(and FF) were still getting a significant chunk of sales in Japan with their last releases. It's like putting your dog down because it's got a cold.

gconsole

Resident Evil(and FF) were still getting a significant chunk of sales in Japan with their last releases. It's like putting your dog down because it's got a cold.

As I said, RE6 sell was picking up ( If I remember correctly, it ends at around 800k, maybe even 1 million including budget release ). BTW, the game sold around 6.7 million world wide, that make up it up to 12% of total sell, which is not that much comparing to the rest of the world.

Japan sell number is not little, but the console market in japan is in decline and even worse than PS3 day now. So I can understand why they shift the market even more toward western audience. It's inevitable unfortunately.

If the game is at least good, that's more than enough for me. I don't want my beloved series to die just because it hold so much to the past glorious day which has been long gone.

gconsole

What other markets aside videogames is Capcom active in?

Same as other AAA japanese game maker, they have their share in Pachinko and mobile gaming business. I believe that Capcom just use most of their Monster Hunter sale profit to set up a new mobile game studio.

duckroll

Same as other AAA japanese game maker, they have their share in Pachinko and mobile gaming business. I believe that Capcom just use most of their Monster Hunter sale profit to set up a new mobile game studio.

That kinda failed. Capcom's primary and most profitable business is consumer videogames. They have tried to diversify their business from time to time, but they don't have as much success as others.

noshten

I'm expecting very nice results by RE7 myself - just outside of Japan.
It should do very well on PC, hopefully Capcom has spend time polishing the PC version. It's one of those games that will sell more once it launches. Especially once it goes down a bit in price.
Too bad I'm totally unable to play these types of games. I played ZombieU and was nope nope nope - this is not want I want from gaming

Totally off topic but I'm still amazed every time I see the RE movies making over 200 mil world wide.

Cerium

That kinda failed. Capcom's primary and most profitable business is consumer videogames. They have tried to diversify their business from time to time, but they don't have as much success as others.

When can Nintendo buy them and save Megaman?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Mario Kart 8 is the first real test of Switch for Nintendo. It's coming shortly after launch, port from Wii U with few additions, just in time for Golden Week.

Interesting situation indeed
It will not be a Mario maker situation for sure and will start giving a better description of japanese perception of Switch (imho more a wiiu successor than a 3ds one at least until something substantial changes )

http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/a...ary-event-dai-gyakuten-saiban-2-concert-more/

Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 confirmed for 3DS at the Gyakuten Saiban event. I suppose it'll be released around this Summer, like the last AA games in Japan.

Another "obvious" Switch game fall into the 3ds "trap"
It would have been a batter situation for Switch perception to see a FE combo (3ds games but Switch confirmed in the pipeline) but capcom (and level5) dont seem so keen
I think that SE and Atlus are the only significant third parties having done that with DQ and SMT (Nis games seem pretty irrelevant in terms of actual sales)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm expecting very nice results by RE7 myself - just outside of Japan.
It should do very well on PC, hopefully Capcom has spend time polishing the PC version. It's one of those games that will sell more once it launches. Especially once it goes down a bit in price.
Too bad I'm totally unable to play these types of games. I played ZombieU and was nope nope nope - this is not want I want from gaming

Totally off topic but I'm still amazed every time I see the RE movies making over 200 mil world wide.

I think RE7 will be another FFXV situation
Steep decline from previous entry in Japan, strong sales WW

Nintendo has their own issues to sort out at the moment.

Is this referred to my post?
Because I think everyone knows I aree XD
FE was a good actual move but the lack of Animal Crossing and Pokemon confirmation is really hurting Switch perception of 3ds successor/hybrid unique Nintendo console going forward

Orgen

FE was a good actual move but the lack of Animal Crossing and Pokemon confirmation is really hurting Switch perception of 3ds successor/hybrid unique Nintendo console going forward

That's because it isn't. Switch will coexist with 3DS and with 3DS' successor in the future, so 3DS will still get its own games that won't appear on Switch.

Sandfox

Interesting situation indeed
It will not be a Mario maker situation for sure and will start giving a better description of japanese perception of Switch (imho more a wiiu successor than a 3ds one at least until something substantial changes )

Another "obvious" Switch game fall into the 3ds "trap"
It would have been a batter situation for Switch perception to see a FE combo (3ds games but Switch confirmed in the pipeline) but capcom (and level5) dont seem so keen
I think that SE and Atlus are the only significant third parties having done that with DQ and SMT (Nis games seem pretty irrelevant in terms of actual sales)

I think calling DGS2 an obvious Switch game is a stretch.

A Pokemon announcement this early isn't going to happen.

That's because it isn't. Switch will coexist with 3DS and with 3DS' successor in the future, so 3DS will still get its own games that won't appear on Switch.
I doubt Nintendo is going support the 3DS after 2017 or come out with another device other than the Switch to replace it.

Well they are more or less in Konami few years ago situation where Konami relied on MGS and PES to bring money Capcom is now reduced to RE and MH. Their smaller franchises are losing relevance and they haven't established anything new for years now (last one was Ace Attorney ?) unless we count new RE products...

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

So there will be a 3ds successor too?
So switch isnt a hybrid and isnt going to get a merged lineup with classic japanese portable franchises neither after the 3ds death?

Is this a common opinion here?
It is the first time I see it

If so my concern (for which I was mocked ) were all justified and Switch will clearly suffer from usual software droughts from first (split between switch, 3ds, mobile) and third parties

Oregano

I think RE7 will be another FFXV situation
Steep decline from previous entry in Japan, strong sales WW

No, it was referring to the "When can Nintendo buy Capcom" post.

If Nintendo release a portable that is totally separate from the Switch then they are idiots because they will be competing with themselves and causing confusion.

Mpl90

I think calling DGS2 an obvious Switch game is a stretch.

A Pokemon announcement this early isn't going to happen.

I doubt Nintendo is going support the 3DS after 2017 or come out with another device other than the Switch to replace it.

It's more like they're still pushing Sun and Moon; so, an hypotetical Switch (or Switch/3DS) third game can't be announced in January when the latest main chapter released less than two months ago.

Sandfox

It's more like they're still pushing Sun and Moon; so, an hypotetical Switch (or Switch/3DS) third game can't be announced in January when the latest main chapter released less than two months ago.
If a Pokemon game is coming this year I would expect a Spring announcement.

Mpl90

I think the only plausible "3DS successor" we'll see in the future is a more compact-sized, more portable Switch that supports Switch carts. Otherwise, I wouldn't understand the reason behind this move at all.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

that flies in the face of nintendo wanting to unify its software output as well as its development house

noshten

Yes smaller games will be on the 3DS no doubt but the minute you announce something like Pokemon or AC exclusive to the Switch - 3DS sales will start to slow down. I'm thinking the early lauch is geared towards keeping the 3DS audience engaged but if that audience wants to get Nintendo and 3rd party's bigger games they would need to upgrade. Also 3DS continues to have tons of games in it's library and is like 1/3 the price. They will continue to support it and have titles even in 2018 but at that point it would be a legacy platform with fewer 1st party titles.
I just don't see Nintendo fragmenting their audience much longer with the Switch being out. They might make revisions, they might make handheld only models, they might make external CPU devices for docked mode but they will keep the form very much the same. Also to me the accessories for the tablet and joycons would be far more interesting than any accessory for the Wii U.

It's just a matter of how many games are needed for 3DS owners who never owned a Wii U to invest into the Switch?
Splatoon 2, Zelda, MK8 Deluxe, Minecraft, Super Mario Odyssey to me seem like a great year one lineup and there is many things we don't know. Is ARMS going to get considerable marketing, will MK8 Deluxe additional DLC be announced, are we really getting Pokemon Stars this year on the Switch what other titles are Nintendo working on for the end of the year, how will sports games being on a handheld do, will Japanese third parties and Ubisoft have good results with their games on the machine, when is Skyrim releasing etc.

Orgen

If Nintendo release a portable that is totally separate from the Switch then they are idiots because they will be competing with themselves and causing confusion.

Just like Apple when launched the IPad mini. They hade iPad, they had IPhone... Why should they launch another device in the middle to compet with themselves? Now look at their numbers and tell me it wasn't a good idea. Besides, what do you mean by "totally separate"? Who implied that? (Not me that's sure).

Sometimes I'm dumbfounded by the laps of logic some of you take. You have Reggie an all the people from Nintendo saying that Switch is a home console but no, you just think is the only device that Nintendo will launch forever and ever because you interpreted the Iwata comments about the same ecosystem as you wanted. There will be exclusive 3DS games in 2017 (and probably 2018 too) and I'm 90% positive that there will be another handheld from Nintendo in less than 2 years. And they're more than capable to maintain both devices (and mobile games, that's why they got Dena to help) just like they always did (sometimes better and sometimes worse).

jonno394

Just like Apple when launched the IPad mini. They hade iPad, they had IPhone... Why should they launch another device in the middle to compet with themselves? Now look at their numbers and tell me it wasn't a good idea. Besides, what do you mean by "totally separate"? Who implied that? (Not me that's sure).

Sometimes I'm dumbfounded by the laps of logic some of you take. You have Reggie an all the people from Nintendo saying that Switch is a home console but no, you just think is the only device that Nintendo will launch forever and ever because you interpreted the Iwata comments about the same ecosystem as you wanted. There will be exclusive 3DS games in 2017 (and probably 2018 too) and I'm 90% positive that there will be another handheld from Nintendo in less than 2 years. And they're more than capable to maintain both devices (and mobile games, that's why they got Dena to help) just like they always did (sometimes better and sometimes worse).

Well looking back, Nintendo are already known for saying one thing but never meaning it. "DS will be a third pillar" it wasn't, due to the success. So if Switch is a success..... They're saying it's not replacing the 3ds right now because Pokémon came out last year and the thing is still selling. I'm 90% positive that this, or an iteration of it, will be Nintendo's handheld going forward.

Oregano

The Ipad and Iphone all share the same software ecosystem. Nintendo is clearly incapable of supporting a handheld and console and that will only get worse considering both would be HD machines.

If that's the plan then one or both devices will be sunk because of it.

Mpl90

iPad mini, iPad and iPhone are part of an ecosystem, where apps can be used across all of them. If the "3DS successor" is a smaller, more portable Switch that can play Switch games, I think no one here would have a problem with that. Iwata himself talked years ago about an ecosystem of devices "similar to iOS / Android", and that would fit with such scenario.

jonno394

iPad mini, iPad and iPhone are part of an ecosystem, where apps can be used across all of them. If the "3DS successor" is a smaller, more portable Switch that can play Switch games, I think no one here would have a problem with that. Iwata himself talked years ago about an ecosystem of devices "similar to iOS / Android", and that would fit with such scenario.

Indeed, that's what i think will happen. Handheld only mode basically. Same games etc

Orgen

And wouldn't you consider that as a handheld or at least a different device than the Switch? I didn't say that the future device will have different/exclusive games, just that the 3DS will have them and that the switch that is launching in March is in no way its successor, that's all.

Top Bottom