• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 20, 2014 (May 12 - May 18)

prag16

Banned
Dont care about then, since am talking about now. Sides the Wii U shit is still going on. The problem is at this point in the game with the WiiU its obvious nintendo did something wrong with how little third party support they are getting with the system. Which isnt surprising seeing what happened with the Wii in general after the flash in the pan boost it had at first. The WiiU has less games slated than the PS4 does here in Japan in terms of releases which is pretty bad considering that its been out for quite some time now and you would think that Nintendo would have had more folks working on things for them by now.

So drive-by thread shitting is more okay targeted at Wii U than when it is targeted at PS4. Got it.

sörine;112865626 said:
But PS4 already has a strong western looking lineup, the audience that wants this is already best served by the platform. So why do you think this admittedly niche audience isn't already buying the system at 6-10k weekly?

I don't think it has had a western system seller yet, and I don't see any announced imminent game that would cause gamers to go grab a PS4 right now when its library is fairly paltry at the moment.

DaBoss

The difference between the 3DS YTD and last year's is just growing and growing. Soon it will be down by 50%. The Vita & Wii U are likely to beat or match last year's sales. There is also the PS4, but I feel that they won't make up for the decline of the 3DS (PS3 and PSP decline as well).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So drive-by thread shitting is more okay targeted at Wii U than when it is targeted at PS4. Got it.

Love the lack of reading comprehension, welcome to the list.

*Edit

The WiiU is in the exact same situation as the PS4 with no real titles that are driving the market to purchase things, let alone a comprehensive library or else the console would be moving more. Sure Mario Kart 8 will help it move units, but in the long run the future is not looking bright for the WiiU. Esp with what we know of how nintendo loves to abandon their consoles which has happened since the N64 days. The diff with the PS4 is that it has its lifespan still ahead of it where the WiiU is pretty much heading towards the end of seeing how things are tapering off and lack of third party support here is showing that devs / pubs are obviously not confident enough in the system to work on it. Once nintendo has their new console if they do that is, its pretty safe to say that the WiiU is going to be dropped quietly as stated before thats basically the nintendo MO with their consoles and why devs in general are not as keen on jumping in with them right away anymore.

Well, bad PS4 numbers in Japan should at least make Nintendo feel better. Now they know something is wrong with the country, and not necessarily their hardware.

sörine

Banned
I don't think it has had a western system seller yet, and I don't see any announced imminent game that would cause gamers to go grab a PS4 right now when its library is fairly paltry at the moment.
There's no such thing as a western system seller in Japan. Not Uncharted, not COD, not even GTA. Western games can sell well but Japanese don't tend to buy systems for them.

Dr. Serkan Toto
‏@serkantoto
Metal Slug Defense racks up 3 million downloads globally, in 17 days: SNKプレイモアの『メタルスラッグディフェンス』がわずか17日間で世界累計300万DLを突破 http://gamebiz.jp/?p=130506

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/status/469102299436965888

Good for SNK

DaBoss

Well, bad PS4 numbers in Japan should at least make Nintendo feel better. Now they know something is wrong with the country, and not necessarily their hardware.
Not at all. Games and steady support sell systems and in short, there aren't many games or steady support for the PS4 or Wii U that appeal to the Japanese audience. The dedicated video game systems that have them are the 3DS and Vita. Even then, many people now use mobile devices for gaming purposes so handhelds are also declining by a significant amount.

If this is true, how come anime conventions like Otakon have been seeing their numbers growing every year? And also how come you have more mainstream embrace of anime than ever (Pharrell remixing a Miku track, Porter Robinson using vocaloids on his new album, etc).

Anyways, I don't even know why I go into these threads anymore... too depressing. Thank god for a 30 year backlog of Japanese games to play through, else I'd probably be finished with games forever.

Anime sales like disc etc etc have died but streaming is doing well last time i check .
Still the Japanese gaming market has been hit much harder than Anime or manga last few years .

Parakeetman

sörine;112866421 said:
There's no such thing as a western system seller in Japan. Not Uncharted, not COD, not even GTA. Western games can sell well but Japanese don't tend to buy systems for them.

Most of the time folks already owned systems when said popular western title came out since as GTA or Oblivion so it was tapping the existing market. Was quite surprised with how well Oblivion did though, but then again they do love the fantasy setting here and open world titles like that in general are a rare thing for Japan as its different from the standard design principals that we seen in Japanese designed games.

test_account

XP-39C²
Good marketing, plus positive buzz from journalists. The price point helps, too.
That and the presentations that Sony did were decent. Though the gamescom one was pretty abysmal...

http://cdn1-www.playstationlifestyle.net/assets/uploads/2013/08/faceoff.gif
True, but in more specific, what was the good marketing and the positive buzz about? What exactly did people get hyped/excisted about regarding these things, and how do the companies achieve this?

sörine;112866421 said:

It doesn't have to be one game though. Each gamer can have their own "one game" out of the plethora of Western releases that causes it to hit critical mass. The crucial thing is that there will be essentially no competitor console for these releases with Wii U getting snubbed and the chance of Xbox adoption very low. At least, I would put more stock in them getting the install base going rather than Japanese developers who I'm sure will be very hesitant to support only PS4 and not PS3 at release.

Mind you, I'm not talking about it lighting the world on fire, but I would expect it could average above 12K at least a week.

RalchAC

If this is true, how come anime conventions like Otakon have been seeing their numbers growing every year? And also how come you have more mainstream embrace of anime than ever (Pharrell remixing a Miku track, Porter Robinson using vocaloids on his new album, etc).

Anyways, I don't even know why I go into these threads anymore... too depressing. Thank god for a 30 year backlog of Japanese games to play through, else I'd probably be finished with games forever.

You're talking about completely different audiences. The people that goes to anime conventions are not the same people that watched anime series like Dragon Ball or Saint Seiya when they were kids.

Anime in the 90s - early 2000s was huge. Everybody saw those series and talked about them in school. Now instead of those kind of series kids watch stuff like Ben10 or Adventure Time.

So while the "core" anime audience is growing. The "casual" anime audience has decreased by a huge margin.

prag16

Banned
Love the lack of reading comprehension, welcome to the list.

The WiiU is in the exact same situation as the PS4 with no real titles that are driving the market to purchase things, let alone a comprehensive library or else the console would be moving more. Sure Mario Kart 8 will help it move units, but in the long run the future is not looking bright for the WiiU. Esp with what we know of how nintendo loves to abandon their consoles which has happened since the N64 days. The diff with the PS4 is that it has its lifespan still ahead of it where the WiiU is pretty much heading towards the end of seeing how things are tapering off and lack of third party support here is showing that devs / pubs are obviously not confident enough in the system to work on it. Once nintendo has their new console if they do that is, its pretty safe to say that the WiiU is going to be dropped quietly as stated before thats basically the nintendo MO with their consoles and why devs in general are not as keen on jumping in with them right away anymore.

Sure, none of that is false, but that's besides the point (reading comprehension indeed), which was calling attention to the potential hypocrisy of condemning PS4 related thread shitting while failing to condemn Wii U (or general) thread shitting.

You instead went on to explain why the Wii U is more fucked than PS4 (twice now). If you're contending that this wasn't intended as justification for why Wii U thread shitting isn't as bad, you're doing it wrong.

Regardless, many of the "drive by" type comments I don't think are actually ill intentioned, and they're not going to disappear. The amount of people you would have to ignore would probably be epic.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
It's mostly people hanging out on video games forums who get hyped for these things anyway

I couldn't disagree with you more.

Well at least my opinion is supported by data. Average PS4 owner has bought 3 games and third party software is performing very well in comparison to current gen which disagrees with your statement.

People don't just get randomly hyped for a new console if there are zero games they are interested in buying or having in the future.

prag16

Banned
Mario Kart 8 under 250k? That would be disappointing in my opinion. I'd have to think they're shooting for 300k plus.

The ps4 had games from the biggest series in the west. It did not sell on hype.

I think it's a little of both. In terms of exclusives, PS4 still has very little.

Parakeetman

True, but in more specific, what was the good marketing and the positive buzz about? What exactly did people get hyped/excisted about regarding these things, and how do the companies achieve this?

truthfully thats what i have no idea over, as its not like the launch lineup was all that spectacular in the West. Hell in Japan it was a lot of cross platform stuff asides from the western titles.

though its the features and general ideas i think is what seemed to sell folks. along with design of the unit and the positive buzz generated by Sony's stance on DRM and such during the whole mess that MS seemed to cause for themselves.

think of it as 2 hardcore groups of fans of a sports team really. whichever company knows how to play to their audience better wins really. MS failed at it this time around initially, which is what led to a shift in the market I believe. Though now it seems that they are moving back in a positive direction regardless of folks calling it 180s or not, it does help their stance and bring folks back into their ecosystem.

Image behind ones product is a big thing. Its why I really think here in Japan the XBO isnt going to do so hot esp not after how things went with the 360 not only with the consumers, but the retailers as well. It will depend too on what MS can really bring to the table in terms of software. But the question is will they keep said partnerships after the initial contracted title is launched? We can only wait and see. Will be interesting to see who stays after and who pops smoke.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wii U is selling like shit. PS4 is selling like shit. Xbone when it gets released, is going to sell like shit. Hearing you turbo nerds whining over shitting on the Wii U and PS4 doesn't matter in the long run because the age of console gaming in Japan is dead. Bow down to your mobile overlords and pray they are merciful.

Ironjam

Hype didnt sell the ps4, games did. All those released and upcoming cods, bfs, acs or first party titles sold that many ps4s.
Believe it or not the average consumer is quite smart and knows there will be a time when cod/bf/ac will not be available on ps3/360 and if (s)he wants to play them (s)he has to buy a new console or build a pc. Its perfectly logical that someone like that buys a next gen console early on if (s)he can afford it, since (s)he can then play the superior versions from the get-go and is set for the next 6-7 years.

If Nintendo is serious with its console/handeld hybrid it should also consider to take over some second tier Japanese IPs and their studios. Plus ensure Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest stays on the platform. That way Nintendo can basically create the de-facto Japanse dedicated gaming platform. Even if the market is shrinking, Nintendo needs a couple of competitive edges aside from Nintendo games to stay relevant. Non Western focussed Japanese games could be one of those.

Parakeetman

Hype didnt sell the ps4, games did. All those released and upcoming cods, bfs, acs or first party titles sold that many ps4s.
Believe it or not the average consumer is quite smart and knows there will be a time when cod/bf/ac will not be available on ps3/360 and if (s)he wants to play them (s)he has to buy a new console or build a pc. Its perfectly logical that someone like that buys a next gen console early on if (s)he can afford it, since (s)he can then play the superior versions from the get-go and is set for the next 6-7 years.

the other thing too is a lot of folks became situated with PS+ over the time with the PS3 or hearing about it which made a lot of 360 users stop and think wtf am I paying for Gold / Live for. Hell I was like that also with my 360s. Have 2 of the damned things too. JP and US. Same with all of my buddies. Once they went PS+ it was hard for them to justify paying for live even if they did like the X360s eco-system, controller better. So when the PS4 came out a lot of guys I know made the switch. On top of not having been too impressed with hearing what the original plans of MS were alongside of the differences in hardware and performance for those who waited a bit to see how it would pan out after launch.

StoopKid

Mario Kart 8 under 250k? That would be disappointing in my opinion. I'd have to think they're shooting for 300k plus.

I think it's a little of both. In terms of exclusives, PS4 still has very little.

Why is it so hard to beilive that some people buy consoles for third party games ?

Call of duty is the biggest selling game on both consoles.

Great post.

Hate to break it to you but the biggest sellers on PS4 and XB1 are multiplatform games.

I know so many people that have bought a PS4 to just play FIFA.

Metallix87

Well at least my opinion is supported by data. Average PS4 owner has bought 3 games and third party software is performing very well in comparison to current gen which disagrees with your statement.

People don't just get randomly hyped for a new console if there are zero games they are interested in buying or having in the future.
People absolutely DO get hyped for new tech without games. There are probably plenty of people who bought the hardware on the promise of power and future support, and bought a few random titles to have something to play.

Parakeetman

Why is it so hard to beilive that some people buy consoles for third party games ?

Call of duty is the biggest selling game on both consoles.

Considering it was the "playable" one online for a while its not surprising seeing how DICE went and cocked up BF4 online for a while. Though I heard its finally quite good now after their server upgrades or whatever it is they did last to try and remedy the issues folks were having.

You know with the WiiU I wonder if it would have actually sold better if they didnt have Wii in the name. As seriously think that caused confusion among the general public that dont go hanging out on gaming forums / game websites. Lots of "normal" folks Ive talked to who owned a Wii had thought the WiiU was just the tablet itself and not an actual brand new system. Hell even I had thought the same thing initially when I first heard about it. Right there is a big problem and a turn off for the regular users who would then ask themselves why do they need a new system. As these people are not the types of consumers that would buy the latest console just because.

People absolutely DO get hyped for new tech without games. There are probably plenty of people who bought the hardware on the promise of power and future support, and bought a few random titles to have something to play.

Sure they get hyped with new tech even if currently no games are out for it simply due to what they think the future of the device will be. Future support = games, extra power = more spectacular games, can you see how it all comes down to games.

After all, PS4 is a game console.

prag16

Banned
Hate to break it to you but the biggest sellers on PS4 and XB1 are multiplatform games.

I know so many people that have bought a PS4 to just play FIFA.

True. But to me that speaks to the weakness of the first party offerings as much as anything else. People who just wanted to play FIFA could have done so on PS360. You think many people really upgraded JUST to play prettier FIFA in the present? More likely this:

Chindogg

Those games by average were Call of Duty, FIFA, and Battlefield.

Many bought the console to play the same games with prettier graphics, nothing more.

Parakeetman

Sure they get hyped with new tech even if currently no games are out for it simply due to what they think the future of the device will be. Future support = games, extra power = more spectacular games, can you see how it all comes down to games.

After all, PS4 is a game console.

That doesnt come with a fucking brick again.

I still dont get why the hell the XBO is not only larger than the PS4 but comes with that goddamned brick again. I used to hate those when my 360s were hooked up as Id kick the brick by accident on occasion and man that shit hurts. You would think that would be the first thing they designed out from the overall package with the system. Really could not believe it when I found out there would be a power brick again. Never knew there was a fan inside of the thing.

*Edit
Over here in Japan folks are laughing about how huge the XBO is and has the brick again also, so its not like Im the only one.

In regards to the XBO and Japan wonder if they are going to have 2 different bundles. w/ kinect and without. And obviously the without one will sell more just due to the price point alone. Not like there really is anything gamewise that says you must have a kinect for this awesome experience either so cant really use that as a selling point to throw down that extra paper for it. What Im curious about is how the retailers will react to wanting to stock the XBO after what happened with the 360.

Not to mention with how showfloor space is already divvied up its going to be an odd situation for them trying to squeeze in the XBO also. Only the larger main stores will be able to really figure out how to make space for a section, the smaller ones that already have the 360 shoved off into some dark corner are going to have issues. Think the Shinjuku Yodobashi vs. the Akihabara Yodobashi.

StoopKid

Those games by average were Call of Duty, FIFA, and Battlefield.

Many bought the console to play the same games with prettier graphics, nothing more.

And that's a bad thing ?

I bet nintendo wishes the wii u could get some of those sells.

Oh wait

:)

True. But to me that speaks to the weakness of the first party offerings as much as anything else. People who just wanted to play FIFA could have done so on PS360. You think many people really upgraded JUST to play prettier FIFA in the present? More likely this:

People want to play the newest and pretties version , these are games that sell 10 million plus each .
People want to be able stream , take pics etc etc along with the newest version of the software they love .
3rd party stuff is what move consoles a perfect eg of this would be BF4 which fans of series can now play 64 players on consoles .

That doesnt come with a fucking brick again.

I still dont get why the hell the XBO is not only larger than the PS4 but comes with that goddamned brick again. I used to hate those when my 360s were hooked up as Id kick the brick by accident on occasion and man that shit hurts. You would think that would be the first thing they designed out from the overall package with the system. Really could not believe it when I found out there would be a power brick again. Never knew there was a fan inside of the thing.

*Edit
Over here in Japan folks are laughing about how huge the XBO is and has the brick again also, so its not like Im the only one.

I never understood why the XB1 is bigger and has a power brick while the Ps4 remains smaller, has more power and no brick. Puzzles me. Maybe MS were extra cautious to ensure no RROD.

Holy shit YES. We may laugh at them, but for many its their most played game/only game they play and so is totally worth it.

My guess would be that the people who are fans grew up and have more money of their own now. It isn't broadcast as much and you don't have a Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, Dragonball, or Naruto that draws a big audience anymore (at least that I'm aware of) in the U.S.

Geneon USA and ADV are both gone, Funimation and AnimeWorks have both been laying off people, and both Bandai and AnimEigo haven't really been releasing anything new. I'm not sure how the market is supposed to have grown when most of the biggest distributors have either shrunk or gone out of business entirely.

prag16

Banned
Holy shit YES. We may laugh at them, but for many its their most played game/only game they play and so is totally worth it.

Then laugh at them I shall. I only personally know a few people that have PS4s, and none of them are worthy of being laughed at for that particular reason, so I may lack the proper perspective.

Fularu

Banned
You know with the WiiU I wonder if it would have actually sold better if they didnt have Wii in the name. As seriously think that caused confusion among the general public that dont go hanging out on gaming forums / game websites. Lots of "normal" folks Ive talked to who owned a Wii had thought the WiiU was just the tablet itself and not an actual brand new system. Hell even I had thought the same thing initially when I first heard about it. Right there is a big problem and a turn off for the regular users who would then ask themselves why do they need a new system. As these people are not the types of consumers that would buy the latest console just because.
People weren't confused by Nes --> super nes, by PSOne --> PS2 --> PS3 or by Xbox --> Xbox 360

I believe it was mostly a lack of interest by the gaming public, on a global scale.

Just like the lack of interest from japanese gamers towards the PS4

My guess would be that the people who are fans grew up and have more money of their own now. It isn't broadcast as much and you don't have a Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, Dragonball, or Naruto that draws a big audience anymore (at least that I'm aware of) in the U.S.

Geneon USA and ADV are both gone, Funimation and AnimeWorks have both been laying off people, and both Bandai and AnimEigo haven't really been releasing anything new. I'm not sure how the market is supposed to have grown when most of the biggest distributors have either shrunk or gone out of business entirely.

Only the hardcore fans buy stuff and that even less than before everyone just streams and d\l anime has been that way for years .

Rolf NB

Wii U is selling like shit. PS4 is selling like shit. Xbone when it gets released, is going to sell like shit. Hearing you turbo nerds whining over shitting on the Wii U and PS4 doesn't matter in the long run because the age of console gaming in Japan is dead. Bow down to your mobile overlords and pray they are merciful.
Console sales are up on weekly and YTD bases compared to last year.

I feel like I might be saying this a lot but it's May.

Top Bottom