• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2012 (Jun 04 - Jun 10)

Big hardware bump for 3DS is expected from retailers.
Are there still many DSis in warehouses?

I understand that DSLite has been discontinued for a while now, and this is going to be the last chance to flog tthe most unsold DSis, otherwise 3DS will have most assuredly a huge bump from this, given its full backward compatibility of course.

Capcom Summer Jam, June 30, 14:30 - Monster Hunter Special Stage
http://www.capcom.co.jp/game/event/capcomjam/stage.html

Monster Hunter 3G International is coming, plus Monster Hunter 4 update.

i1OZ2GY37ulDy.gif

Takao

Banned
I am certain Capcom will announce a Monster Hunter localization at a public Japanese event. That makes sense.

Just 11 days to go then before knowing what they have in their pipeline!
BTW not holding my breath for an international version of 3G, not at this stage.

I don't think throwing out NSMB2, Animal crossing, Tomodatchi and MH4 together in a few months' lapse would make much sense for neither Nintendo nor Capcom; Capcom may release a budget edition of MH3G and then keep MH4 for 2013.

Incidentally, after NSMB2 and Animal crossing hit the system 3DS may be easily topping PS3 YTD by the end of this year and Wii in 2013 if they are able to keep the momentum going.

SCEA doesn't give a shit anymore. They'll pretty much allow anything on PSP at this point. There are even rumors that they're no longer asking for royalties, which is why games like Hakukoi, and Corpse Party got localized when they wouldn't have 4 years ago.

It's true that SCEA is a lot laxer these days than they used to be, but they can still refuse stuff. And PSN titles still don't (usually) sell as well as retail titles yet, so you're a bit limited in terms of sales potential. The PSN isn't quite Steam-level megabucks just yet.

Takao

Banned
It's true that SCEA is a lot laxer these days than they used to be, but they can still refuse stuff. And PSN titles still don't (usually) sell as well as retail titles yet, so you're a bit limited in terms of sales potential. The PSN isn't quite Steam-level megabucks just yet.

I know they'll still deny PS3 games (hello MHP3rd HD) but have they denied any PSP game recently?

Dalthien

What about third version titles? B/W 2 is basically replacing a Gray, after all. I think as long as it performs signficantly better than those, it'll be seen as a success.

That's pretty much exactly what B/W 2 is. It's coming out about 2 years after the original, just like Emerald and Platinum. The only problem is that it is coming out nearly 1.5 years after the system has already been replaced. So instead of doing a standard upgrade (Pokemon Grey), they are going the sequel route in order to help compensate for the sales that will undoubtedly be lost by releasing on a system such as the DS this far out from the launch of its successor.

Emerald / Platinum, etc. are better representations of B/W 2. Although in terms of sales performance, I'd probably look at something like HeartGold/SoulSilver as the best example, with the dual release format being used.

We all know are expecting a bump due to Pokèmon, but still it amazes me Nintendo could obtain to give its brand new platform a substantial rise thanks to a release for its older console. It's never happened, right? XD

Zelda Twilight Princess says hi

anyway, everybody knows why B/W2 is a DS game, with just 6mln 3DS shipped, if it would a 3DS game it couldn't reach the usual 4-5mln units sold...

We all know are expecting a bump due to Pokèmon, but still it amazes me Nintendo could obtain to give its brand new platform a substantial rise thanks to a release for its older console. It's never happened, right? XD

Nintendo will release two Pokémon Point Cards for 3DS; one will be out on June 23rd, and the other one in July. They should be addressed to people who want to but Pokémon AR Searcher... A great move to push people to buy a 3DS.

anyway, everybody knows why B/W2 is a DS game, with just 6mln 3DS shipped, if it would a 3DS game it couldn't reach the usual 4-5mln units sold...

Well, that's true, but it's also true that would have sold really well in the long term as the installed base grew.

Well, that's true, but it's also true that would have sold really well in the long term as the installed base grew.

That's for sure, as always happened in the past, but consider when D/P was released, there were already 10mln DS units sold

But making a release for 2 big platforms could mean it could beat FF9 first week, IIRC it's still the best debut ever in Japan (Famitsu numbers, you know i like them ehehehehe)

Of course, it could happen only if Nintendo really wants...

I am not sure if B&W2 selling as good as the first one will be good, unless people want to see more sequels next gen too.

---
btw, lol@ capcom response regarding why 3G is on 3DS

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I am not sure if B&W2 selling as good as the first one will be good, unless people want to see more sequels next gen too.

---

I think that if BW2 will perform in a similar way to BW1 did (that was outstanding in my opinion), well it will be evident that a lot of people want Pokemon sequels!

:p

Spiegel

Not having played any Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow 12 years ago, what's the difference between the jump from B&W to B&W2 and the jump from a 'mainline' entry to the next? Lower number of new pokemons?

---
Well, in the case of Pokemon, I'd rather see more actual sequels like BW2 than going back to simple "retelling" third versions like Platinum, so it doing well would sound like it would be a good thing to me.

wrowa

Not having played any Pokemon game since Pokemon Yellow 12 years ago, what's the difference between the jump from B&W to B&W2 and the jump from a 'mainline' entry to the next? Lower number of new pokemons?

B/W2 is not the beginning of a new generation. There aren't any new Pokemon.

However, I still vastly prefer sequels to an old generation over the third editions they made so far.

Low predictions for Pokemon may have to do something with limited supply from Nintendo, but this was supposed to be the case too with B/W and it didn't happen.

Big hardware bump for 3DS is expected from retailers.

And still much much lower than it would be if they made real 3DS Pokemon. While it won't hurt them in Japan they will pay for this mistake with American/European 3DS sales.

Chunky

It's basically a half-step between a third edition (ie yellow, platinum etc) and an actual sequel. It'll still be on the same continent as B&W and there won't be any new Pokémon, but there'll be new areas, new gym leaders and the story will actually continue on from B&W instead of simply retell it.

Chunky

And still much much lower than it would be if they made real 3DS Pokemon. While it won't hurt them in Japan they will pay for this mistake with American/European 3DS sales.
I don't know, Pokemon's going to do big numbers whenever it comes out, and it'll probably benefit from having a bigger install base.

Takao

Banned
Also Capcom was asked why MH3G was released on 3DS and not PSP at the latest shareholders meeting and they said it was due to "creative" reasons. According to Capcom PSP couldn't support that vision.

Is lying through your teeth a prerequisite before working at Capcom?

I don't know, Pokemon's going to do big numbers whenever it comes out, and it'll probably benefit from having a bigger install base.

That's extremly short signed from Nintendo - sure they will sell more copies of DS game but is selling 1st party software problem for them right now ?

In last NPD they had 16% YOY increase with 3DS sales - and that's compared to pre-price cut, pre Mario Kart period.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also Capcom was asked why MH3G was released on 3DS and not PSP at the latest shareholders meeting and they said it was due to "creative" reasons. According to Capcom PSP couldn't support that vision.

Well, it's basically the only answer they could give that ends the line of conversation at a shareholders meeting, but that's clearly bogus.

A more honest answer would be: MH3G would have sold great on PSP, but MH4 will be later on, when the PSP has declined significantly, so we needed to set up a userbase on a new platform. Releasing it on both PSP and 3DS probably would have stunted the 3DS version due to the PSP's superior install database. MH3G acts like a vanguard for future, more significant titles.

Isn't Monster Hunter 3G only possible on a Nintendo hardware, given the fact that it's the expansion of Tri, which was a Wii exclusive, and probably linked with some agreement with Nintendo?

Spiegel

Isn't Monster Hunter 3G only possible on a Nintendo hardware, given the fact that it's the expansion of Tri, which was a Wii exclusive, and probably linked with some agreement with Nintendo?

Well, the shareholder was asking about the reasons why there wasn't a MH for PSP and Capcom decided to the jump from PSP to 3DS. Not especifically about MH3G.

Obviously the psp game would have been called MHP3G and be based on MHP3.

Well, the shareholder was asking about the reasons why there wasn't a MH for PSP and Capcom decided to the jump from PSP to 3DS. Not especifically about MH3G.

Obviously the psp game would have been called MHP3G and be based on MHP3.
If that's the case, then they're likely talking about MH4. 3G probably just wouldn't have existed without the platform switch.

test_account

XP-39C²
On this topic, has it even been released a such high profile release for a predecessing system this late? Nearly 1.5 years into the successor's life cycle.

On this topic, has it even been released a such high profile release for a predecessing system this late? Nearly 1.5 years into the successor's life cycle.

Final Fantasy IX e Dragon Quest VII were released months after PS2 launch, as well as Final Fantasy XII. The span of time was even bigger with Pokémon Crystal (GBA: March; Pokémon: December). More than a year and a half? Not sure.

mclem

It's nowhere near *as* high-profile - because, after all, what's more high-profile than Pokemon? - but:

Nintendo DS Japanese release: December 2, 2004
Rhythm Tengoku GBA release: August 3, 2006

test_account

XP-39C²
Final Fantasy IX e Dragon Quest VII were released months after PS2 launch, as well as Final Fantasy XII. The span of time was even bigger with Pokémon Crystal (GBA: March; Pokémon: December). More than a year and a half? Not sure.
Thanks for the info. Seems that B&W2 is the record so far.

FF12 was released many months more before the PS3 in Japan by the way, but in the rest of the world it was released after the PS3, that is true.

It's nowhere near *as* high-profile - because, after all, what's more high-profile than Pokemon? - but:

Nintendo DS Japanese release: December 2, 2004
Rhythm Tengoku GBA release: August 3, 2006
That is a pretty late title indeed.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, also Persona 4: July 2008, when PS3 was launched on December 2006.
Yep. I wouldnt call it "such a high profile game" though. I was mostly thinking about ~1 million sellers+ :)

Another example i just remembered is Wario's Woods. Released for NES/Famicom in Februrary 1994, over 3 years after the release of the Super Famicom. But this wasnt a high profile release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Million+ sellers after successor consoles were released (all figures and dates Japanese):
Dragon Quest VII was released on PS1 6 months after the PS2 came out and sold 3.9 million units
Final Fantasy IX was released on PS1 5 months after the PS2 came out and sold 2.7 million units
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4 was released on GB 9 months after the GBA came out and sold 2.2 million units (I misread the year here, it came out three months before GBA apparently)
Donkey Kong Country 3 was released on SNES 5 months after the N64 came out and sold 1.2 million units

As far as I can tell this is a 100% exhaustive list. Pokemon B2/W2 will be by far the latest million seller released but possibly not the best-selling last million seller released.

Edit: Naturally I didn't count GB->GBC or DS->DSi, for obvious reasons.

What are the changes of the PS3 reaching 9 million by end of this year?

What are the big games for the rest of this year for PS3?
I think both 3DS and PS3 have a good chance to clear 9m by year's end.

PS3's big games for the rest of the year are Hokuto Musou 2, Tales of Xillia 2 and Resident Evil 6. Not a bad lineup.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think both 3DS and PS3 have a good chance to clear 9m by year's end.

PS3's big games for the rest of the year are Hokuto Musou 2, Tales of Xillia 2 and Resident Evil 6. Not a bad lineup.

Add Yakuza 5 too. Big lineup for PS3.

Top Bottom