• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2012 (Jun 04 - Jun 10)

Takao

Banned
I figured Y5 would be March 2013 since it's still not confirmed for 2012.

I wonder if Wii has enough juice yet to crawl to 13m before all's said and done? Same for DS and 33m?

600443_248378661939841_2121166101_n.jpg

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that we might see a 5k yen pricedrop for the PS3 this holiday season.

Million+ sellers after successor consoles were released (all figures and dates Japanese):
Dragon Quest VII was released on PS1 6 months after the PS2 came out and sold 3.9 million units
Final Fantasy IX was released on PS1 5 months after the PS2 came out and sold 2.7 million units
Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 4 was released on GB 9 months after the GBA came out and sold 2.2 million units
Donkey Kong Country 3 was released on SNES 5 months after the N64 came out and sold 1.2 million units

As far as I can tell this is a 100% exhaustive list. Pokemon B2/W2 will be by far the latest million seller released but possibly not the best-selling last million seller released.

Edit: Naturally I didn't count GB->GBC or DS->DSi, for obvious reasons.
Thanks for the list. Yeah, still remains to see if DQVII will have higher sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I agree. And that plus the great support that PS3 is getting for the holiday season (as mentioned: Hokuto no Ken Mosou 2, Yakuza 5, Tales of Xillia 2, Resident Evil 6, not coounting FFXIII versus) could really help Sony in keeping their actual "dominance" over the home console market in Japan also over the launch of the Wii U, in my opinion.

Haven't other price drops should less than no effect, with sales still falling?
Am not saying there won't be one - just that looking at the PS3 line up, I wouldn't bother - instead making money off the consumers who buy at the higher price.

May depend on the WiiU price ofc.

I agree. And that plus the great support that PS3 is getting for the holiday season (as mentioned: Hokuto no Ken Mosou 2, Yakuza 5, Tales of Xillia 2, Resident Evil 6, not coounting FFXIII versus) could really help Sony in keeping their actual "dominance" over the home console market in Japan also over the launch of the Wii U, in my opinion.

Let's see. But weekly PS3 numbers are really, really poor now. Wii has lost steam, but PS3 is leader with an average of 15k per week, which is quite terrible.

test_account

XP-39C²
Yep. I also think that there will be a pricecut because of the WiiU launch.

Wasn't the first Hokuto Musou very badly received? Will the sequel really sell that well?
It sold pretty well. Known LTD for PS3 is 553,229. For Xbox 360 it is 47,910. So about 600k in total.

Haven't other price drops should less than no effect, with sales still falling?
Am not saying there won't be one - just that looking at the PS3 line up, I wouldn't bother - instead making money off the consumers who buy at the higher price.

May depend on the WiiU price ofc.
Do you mean for the PS3 or for systems in general? The PS3 started to pick up sales after the 10k yen pricedrop and the release of PS3 Slim. The games released also matters a lot of course, but the pricedrop definitely didnt hurt.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Let's see. But weekly PS3 numbers are really, really poor now. Wii has lost steam, but PS3 is leader with an average of 15k per week, which is quite terrible.

Yes, weekly sales of PS3 are not so high, honestly. But I'm also doubtful about possible Wii U's start (not only in Japan), and also PS3 weekly sales will see an increase with pricecut + great games + holiday season, so it will be interesting to see how the Japanes market will receive a brand new home console, considering how also a brand new portable system is struggling (and we know that portable > home market in Japan in the last few years)

Do you mean for the PS3 or for systems in general? The PS3 started to pick up sales after the 10k yen pricedrop and the release of PS3 Slim. The games released also matters a lot of course, but the pricedrop definitely didnt hurt.

There was one just at the start of Q4 last last year though. I don't think it made a huge difference if I remember rightly.

Mind you this could also mean another price cut around the same time this year and is somehow part of an annual cycle Sony want to get into as they wind the system down.

And a price drop can hurt if sales don't increase by the level needed to meet the reduction in price.

Spiegel

Yes, weekly sales of PS3 are not so high, honestly. But I'm also doubtful about possible Wii U's start (not only in Japan), and also PS3 weekly sales will see an increase with pricecut + great games + holiday season, so it will be interesting to see how the Japanes market will receive a brand new home console, considering how also a brand new portable system is struggling (and we know that portable > home market in Japan in the last few years)

But high priced portable with no big games < New Nintendo system with 2D Mario, a minigame collection and a obnoxiously big marketing campaign.

Japan loves their 2D Marios and their minigame collections

Wii U's launching with NSMB and Nintendoland, plus Nintendo tends to own the holidays anyway. Don't expect a Vita repeat for Wii U in 2012, it has inherent advantages Vita never did, not the least of which being PS3 is no 3DS.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
But high priced portable with no big games < New Nintendo system with 2D Mario, a minigame collection and a obnoxiously big marketing campaign.

Right. I think this kind of happened last time in 2009, but people tend to discount 2D Mario, probably because this board isn't really enamored with it.

NSMB Wii sold almost 4.5 million copies- the best selling console game by far this generation.

Plus more Wii Fit and Nintendoland- I actually think Wii U will do very well in Japan, at least initially.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Wii U's launching with NSMB and Nintendoland, plus Nintendo tends to own the holidays anyway. Don't expect a Vita repeat for Wii U in 2012, it has inherent advantages Vita never did, not the least of which being PS3 is no 3DS.

You both are right.
But it will depend also on the initial price (we saw how a wrongly positioned console could face problems, with the 3ds) and on the "trend" that Nintendo will be or not be able to set with their Gamepad + Nintendoland approach.
I don't think that those two elements could repeat the success of the Remote + Sport, for example, that set a fever back in the days

I don't think that those two elements could repeat the success of the Remote + Sport, for example, that set a fever back in the days

Me neither, but it's also true that in Japan Wii did not explode as in the US or Europe, and it has been only a moderate success so far.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Me neither, but it's also true that in Japan Wii did not explode as in the US or Europe, and it has been only a moderate success so far.

Well, I think that it did quiet well, for being a home console.
It risks to be catch by PS3 in terms of LTD's as by X360 in the US, at the end of the generation, with dominant years followed by very weak years at the end.
One question: if the Wii was just a moderate success, looking at the gamepad as a weaker element compared to the remote, isn't even more possible a scenario like the one I described?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
One question: if the Wii was just a moderate success, looking at the gamepad as a weaker element compared to the remote, isn't even more possible a scenario like the one I described?

The problem in Japan for the Wii was simple- games. The release list just grew more barren every year.

I *think* Wii U could get better 3rd party support than Wii, because I think the atmosphere is very different than 2005/2006 when companies were deciding where to make their games.

I think the best case scenario for Nintendo is a good launch, and just steady sales for the next 4-5 years, as opposed to starting out hot, going down a cliff, and basically only being relevant during the holiday.

Wii did explode in Japan, the problem was it declined faster than the west due to 3rd party support.

It risks to be catch by PS3 in terms of LTD's as by X360 in the US, at the end of the generation, with dominant years followed by very weak years at the end.
The upswing would be that the game pad brings in an audience the remote didn't. I think Wii U was very much designed to capture both the Wii and PS3 audiences, much like the 3DS was designed to capture borh the DS and PSP audiences. Software is the key though, they're pulling it off with 3DS, but Wii U will undoubtey be a harder road.

No, because imo the Wiimote was not as decisive in Japan as it was in the West. Wii sold well because it has a nice support during the first years, it had Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Nintendo was on fire thanks to DS (so Mario Kart and Mario were huge). Wii U may sell well thanks to an advanced release and a good launch line-up.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
To me the GamePad is taylor made for Japan, for all its attributes (and Karaoke!). Of course japanese lineup is still unknown and will be the decisive factor.

donny2112

Also Capcom was asked why MH3G was released on 3DS and not PSP at the latest shareholders meeting and they said it was due to "creative" reasons. According to Capcom PSP couldn't support that vision.

:lol :lol :lol

Wow, the "can't support our creative vision" excuse isn't just limited to the Wii, after all.

It doesn't need to to take over console leadership in Japan from the PS3. :p

test_account

XP-39C²
There was one just at the start of Q4 last last year though. I don't think it made a huge difference if I remember rightly.

Mind you this could also mean another price cut around the same time this year and is somehow part of an annual cycle Sony want to get into as they wind the system down.

And a price drop can hurt if sales don't increase by the level needed to meet the reduction in price.
The PS3 sales have been good since that last pricedrop too (18. August 2011).

Sure, but that is a question you cant get an answer to before you do a pricedrop. A PS3 pricedrop will also make the difference between PS3 and WiiU bigger.

donny2112

A PS3 pricedrop will also make the difference between PS3 and WiiU bigger.

Japan has historically been the least price sensitive of the three major territories. Obviously there's still a breaking point somewhere, but price alone is typically a more muted factor in Japan than in other regions.

Jokeropia

That's extremly short signed from Nintendo - sure they will sell more copies of DS game but is selling 1st party software problem for them right now ?

In last NPD they had 16% YOY increase with 3DS sales - and that's compared to pre-price cut, pre Mario Kart period.
2 years is not enough time for a NEW Pokemon, hence B&W2 is the equivalent of Platinum to DS's Diamond & Pearl. When 3DS gets it's first Pokemon, it will be a new generation game.

test_account

XP-39C²
Japan has historically been the least price sensitive of the three major territories. Obviously there's still a breaking point somewhere, but price alone is typically a more muted factor in Japan than in other regions.
I dont know about Japan regarding price sensitivity, but interest will be the number one priority anyway. I think this is the same pretty much worldwide. If one system is much more interesting than another system, i think that most people dont let the price decide (the Gamecube didnt move tons of units over the PS2 despite being $99, just to take one example). It still remains to see how the interest level will be for the WiiU compared to the PS3. I have no idea about how it will turn out, not much a gut feeling either.

saichi

I dont know about Japan regarding price sensitivity, but interest will be the number one priority anyway. I think this is the same pretty much worldwide. If one system is much more interesting than another system, i think that most people dont let the price decide (the Gamecube didnt move tons of units over the PS2 despite being $99, just to take one example). It still remains to see how the interest level will be for the WiiU compared to the PS3. I have no idea about how it will turn out, not much a gut feeling either.

If you want to take the interest factor, Wii U is getting a sequel to a game that sold 4.5 million on Wii for launch. There got to be some interest for that game.

mclem

I hope you're joking, otherwise this is a bit sad.

"Hitting its stride" along with "Playstation family" are two terms that crop up in PR and are a dead giveaway for when they want to sound positive when the numbers would give a rather different impression. PS3 has been "hitting its stride" in several NPD PR statements, for instance.

Hence the usage here has evolved into a somewhat mocking sense; acknowledging an increase, but noting that it's still fairly weak.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
"Hitting its stride" along with "Playstation family" are two terms that crop up in PR and are a dead giveaway for when they want to sound positive when the numbers would give a rather different impression. PS3 has been "hitting its stride" in several NPD PR statements, for instance.

Hence the usage here has evolved into a somewhat mocking sense; acknowledging an increase, but noting that it's still fairly weak.

MOMENTUM!!! XD

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I think that remote and its applications (sport and play) were THE reason behind the Wii's japanese success.
But, everybody could have his own opinion, of course!

About Vita: is it possible in your opinion, Gaffers, to see Vita's HW numbers very close to 3DS's HW numbers this week, as in TSUTAYA stores?

I think that remote and its applications (sport and play) were THE reason behind the Wii's japanese success.

About Vita: is it possible in your opinion, Gaffers, to see Vita's HW numbers very close to 3DS's HW numbers this week, as in TSUTAYA stores?

Nope.

Alrus

Depends on how the 3DS holds this week, it will be closer than usual but I wouldn't expect anything crazy.

Bruno MB

I doubt it very much.

Last week PS Vita sold 13,500 units. Let's say in a very optimistic scenario that it has tripled its sales, that would put it around 40,000 units.

3DS already had its decline after the release of Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D (from 101,000 to 65,000) so nothing suggests that it has had a significant drop this week. Even less considering that DQM has probably had a very strong third week if the supply issues were solved.

test_account

XP-39C²
If you want to take the interest factor, Wii U is getting a sequel to a game that sold 4.5 million on Wii for launch. There got to be some interest for that game.
Sure, but i'm thinking more long term. I dont think there is much doubt that the system will sell at least a few million units within the first 12 months. Outside of that, i have no idea.

Taker666

PSVita at 30-35k would be astonishing.

Not really astonishing.

Surely you'd expect a boost to at least 30k for Vita considering Persona 4 Vita is always near the top of the Famitu most wanted list (the number 1 game on occasion) and has been in the top 10 at Amazon for months.

I'd be more surprised if Vita didn't break 30k to be honest..50k wouldn't surprise me.

Persona 4 will certainly be the number 1 game this week. If Gundam can do 40k on Vita then I'd expect over 100k for Persona 4...and a tripling of hardware sales would go hand in hand with that.

Bruno MB

Famitsu Sales (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

1. [PSV] Persona 4: The Golden
2. [3DS] Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D
3. [PS3] Lollipop Chainsaw

Sadist

Dragon Quest keeps on trucking. Curious about Persona 4's performance

Edit: Super Mario 3D Land is holding on tight. Never expected it to sell so well, being a semi-3D Mario.

Top Bottom