• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 23, 2015 (Jun 1 - Jun 7)

Sandfox

lol

I think Nintendo killed all of its own (small) momentum with that E3... >.> You can really tell how badly the WiiU is doing when it seems fairly evident that "big" games are gone and everything, even the successful Splatoon, was a small pet project. The AC project looks very light, and outside of Mario Maker and Yoshi, there's like two or so games left for all of 2016, lol.

As a consumer looking in, you'd have to wonder what reason you'd want to buy the system at all aside from what already exists and that, seemingly, has never been very motivating. I was off-put by Sony's presser showing/hyping things 2017+ and next to nothing immediate outside of third parties, but they at least have built up future interests.

Then again, I guess there's only so much you can do with a dead platform and all alone.
At this point it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to invest anymore into the Wii U and arguably the 3DS outside of super small projects as much as it sucks for the consumers. All there is now is waiting until the fall to see what we're getting initially out of the DeNA partnership and then waiting for the NX which their teams are clearly already working towards based on the Digital Event(and the fact that a lot of them seem to be dome with their latest projects).

I think Nintendo just signalled the huge success of amiibos as people wanting more amiibos. Animal Crossing amiibo Festival is not even a game at this point: it seems that amiibo are the core product, and the game is just some complementary product that comes with them.

3DS line-up was ok: at least it showed Nintendo is still willing to release some interesting projects for this console.

Mario Tennis was also ok.

Vena

At this point it doesn't make sense for Nintendo to invest anymore into the Wii U and arguably the 3DS outside of super small projects as much as it sucks for the consumers. All there is now is waiting until the fall to see what we're getting initially out of the DeNA partnership and then waiting for the NX which their teams are clearly already working towards based on the Digital Event(and the fact that a lot of them seem to be dome with their latest projects).

If nothing else, yes, we have to look at this as confirmation or an allusion of sorts to the fact that the NX is definitely looking like a 2016 launch. The 3DS just won't last until 2017 and the WiiU is simply dead despite their best efforts over the past three years with the system.

Looks like all of their big/talented developers have entirely moved on to the NX.

You asked how to maintain momentum. Its all they have as an option as the Splatoon momentum dies down over time. Good as the WiiUs catalog is on a title per title basis, it lacks breadth and I don't think a "relaunch" will work all that well when it failed to begin with. MK8 and Smash are the big other games and they will (and have) pick up sales from this momentum right now. People know they exist.

Short of magically pulling games out of the aether, I don't know what they can do.
I meant momentum as in "you now have new Wii U owners thanks to Splatoon, they will want more games to play". My take is that games that may not have been system sellers on their own previously could potentially become attractive purchases because the barrier of entry has been broken.

Anyways thanks to the digital event there are now a few new 2015 titles to look forward to, but still not enough to make a comeback with.

Wow...didnt expect that kind of demand for Rhytm Heaven on 3DS.
isn't this the first RH for 3ds? 150-200k seems reasonable

I meant momentum as in "you now have new Wii U owners thanks to Splatoon, they will want more games to play". My take is that games that may not have been system sellers on their own previously could potentially become attractive purchases because the barrier of entry has been broken.

Anyways thanks to the digital event there are now a few new 2015 titles to look forward to, but still not enough to make a comeback with.
splatoon is to help the amiibo brand, pointless to put in more than the bare minimum towards wii u when a successful nx launch is top priority now

So Nomura says they announced FF7 early to show gamers that the PS4 will be getting lots of titles.

Any guess on how much FF7R will sell....lets say it comes out fall 2017?

duckroll

So Nomura says they announced FF7 early to show gamers that the PS4 will be getting lots of titles.

Hold on let me rub the crystal ball and see if it can tell me what the demand is like for a game which we know almost nothing about, in over two years without any idea of what the market situation might be at that time.

Mmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The crystal ball says.... 7.

casiopao

How Early did Nomura mention there?^_^ Is it Versus kind of early? Or The Last Guardian Early or KH3 Early?^_^

Fisico

Usually a remake less than a brand new episode, but I wonder if they didn't already damage the brand enough for FFVII to outsell what FFXV would do (and there's also the install base to take into account)

But it's stil toooooo early to tell of course, and it will depend of if FFVII R is a full remake AAA title or a mid-range like the ones Square seems to greenlight here and there.

I also don't think FFVII R will come until 2018, as I see it 2016: FFXV 2017 KH3 2018 FFVII R, but that's my guts based on almost fucking nothing :p

L~A

Media Create:

New3DS LL 19,620
Wii U 16,413
PS4 10,822
Vita 10,797
New3DS 4,329
PS3 2,633
3DS 943
3DS LL 880
Vita TV 566
Xbox One 100

Splatoon: 53k
DBZ: 74k
Rhythm: 157k

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Great numbers still for Splatoon and Wii U. I hope the Digital Even doesn't fuck up the momentum completely.

Sayter

Hold on let me rub the crystal ball and see if it can tell me what the demand is like for a game which we know almost nothing about, in over two years without any idea of what the market situation might be at that time.

Mmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The crystal ball says.... 7.

Are you sure you were rubbing a crystal ball? :eek:

Vena

The better question is: how many people care that don't already own the system.

If anything, this shows how dire the situation is when they have to goad the consumer base with promises of a distant future.

Top Bottom