• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 11 - Jun 17)

When Iwata/Miyamoto first talked about doing DLC one of the first examples they gave was selling extra stages for a Mario game, so it's been on the cards for a while.

Edit: Also unrelated and not sure whether it belongs in a sales thread or not, but Nintendo seems to be showing a lot more pull with Japanese third parties than they ever have. In light of their strong connections with Koei-Tecmo, and now the collaboration with Bandai Namco.
It's the best time for this now.

Vita isn't strong and now they're releasing Pokemon + 3DS XL + New Super Mario Bros. 2 and other games, looks like pure domination.

PS3 gets it's games but the sales are slowing down and PS4 won't come out before Q 2013.

Wii U should be released this November. They're like one year alone at the market.

test_account

XP-39C²
When Iwata/Miyamoto first talked about doing DLC one of the first examples they gave was selling extra stages for a Mario game, so it's been on the cards for a while.
g17527s5vnz.jpg

(taken from the NSMB2 thread, thought it was fiting :)).

Spiegel

Both, and it's not Kenka Banchou 6

I really don't get why Sony isn't asking third parties to put psp isos on Vita cards with nice boxarts and a "PSP line" tagline or something. Doing this with games like Yakuza, Super Robot Wars, this Kenka Banchou game and upcoming games such as Gundam Age or Idolmaster could've helped these games and the Vita. And it costs nothing.

Most Vita games are subhd and graphically not much better than many PSP or PS2 games anyway.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yes, some multi SKUs would have certainly helped.
However, on Amazon the madness has just started.

Truth101

Banned
Both, and it's not Kenka Banchou 6

I really don't get why Sony isn't asking third parties to put psp isos on Vita cards with nice boxarts and a "PSP line" tagline or something. Doing this with games like Yakuza, Super Robot Wars, this Kenka Banchou game and upcoming games such as Gundam Age or Idolmaster could've helped these games and the Vita. And it costs nothing.

Most Vita games are subhd and graphically not much better than many PSP or PS2 games anyway.

It isn't the job of 3rd parties to keep the Vita afloat. The PSP install-base is bigger which is a lot more appealing to develooers. Also Vita games probably have required features stipulated under contract that would raise the overhead.

Sony needs to push for more multiplatform Vita releases in general. Stuff like Time Travelers, Lord of Apocalypse, No Escape VLR or LBXW, just reuse identical assets and render at a higher resolution.

Spiegel

It isn't the job of 3rd parties to keep the Vita afloat. The PSP install-base is bigger which is a lot more appealing to develooers. Also Vita games probably have required features stipulated under contract that would raise the overhead.

I see you didn't get what I was saying. Read my post again.
Third parties wouldn't be spending any money games or losing potential consumers because these are psp games and would be released on psp too.

And Sony already talked about releasing PSP games on Vita cards when the system was announced.

Sony needs to push for more multiplatform Vita releases in general. Stuff like Time Travelers, Lord of Apocalypse, No Escape VLR or LBXW, just reuse identical assets and render at a higher resolution.

Yes. But what I'm suggesting is more obvious and easy to pull off because it wouldn't require an additional investment from the third parties.

Truth101

Banned
I see you didn't get what I was saying. Read my post again.
Third parties wouldn't be spending any money games or losing potential consumers because these are psp games and would be released on psp too.

And Sony already talked about releasing PSP games on Vita cards when the system was announced.

Yes. But what I'm suggesting is more obvious and easy to pull off because it wouldn't require an additional investment from the third parties.

No, I do get what you are saying. It would add overhead and hassle.

-How many units should ship for PSP vs how many should ship for Vita
-Support for required Vita features
-Adjustments costs to port the game to the Vita
If they deem the greater PSP user base is more worthwhile then they won't bother. Also if they were to take the incentive to port it to the Vita the 3DS would probably be a more appealing user base to target.

Dalthien

I understand the goal of what you're trying to accomplish - but if they really wanted all of these PSP games fully playable on Vita, then they should have designed the Vita to be fully backwards compatible. Or at the very least made some kind of disc drive attachment available for people that might want to make use of it.

Backwards compatibility is a good selling point for migrating people over to the new system so that they can play the collection of games that they already own. But you really don't want one of the focal points of your new system to be "Hey, come buy Vita so that you can play your new PSP purchases here!" If they had your PSP games on a Vita card idea in place all this time, the number of new and higher-profile PSP games would have absolutely dwarfed the number of Vita games these past 6 months, and would have made Vita look like nothing more than a newer, more expensive PSP model.

There could very well be a cost to 3rd-parties though. 3rd-parties have to pay Sony a license fee for every disc (or card) they print up. For Japan, that's not a big deal, because price protection isn't really an issue in Japan. But if they used this Vita card idea in the rest of the world, retailers could end up with unsold Vita stock, and the 3rd-party would just end up crediting the money back to the retailers and the 3rd-party would end up eating the full cost of the license fee.

Even in Japan, it could backfire. What if retailers split the order for the first game or two from a 3rd-party (50/50 split or 70/30 PSP/Vita or whatever)? The Vita version doesn't sell, the retailers cut way back on their Vita order for the following games, but they just keep the PSP order at the same reduced level because that's all that sold last time. Now the 3rd-party has screwed themselves out of a portion of their PSP sales. (And this could have been a valid concern, because many 3rd-parties have released multiple PSP games since the Vita release).

In any case, it's not really much of an issue at this point anyway. The PSP is on its last legs with maybe another 3 months of worthwhile software releases, and even those releases will be down in sales from what they would have sold a year ago. So there's really no point worrying about what to do with PSP sales at this point. That's taking care of itself soon enough. (Although it has definitely been an issue through the first several months of the Vita's life).

Dalthien

This is probably the biggest discrepancy going right now for stuff in the Top 30.

Dengeki Sales, Jun 04 - 10, 2012 (YTD/LTD)

2011-02-26 [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever / Toy Poodle / French Bulldog & New Friends (Nintendo) - 68,000 / 630,000

Famitsu Sales: Week 24, 2012 (Jun 04 - Jun 10) (Weekly/LTD)

22./29. [3DS] Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog / Shiba / Toy Poodle & New Friends <ETC> (Nintendo) {2011.02.26} (¥4.800) - 2.190 / 537.212 (-3%)

extralite

I'm not saying it affects the Japanese market to a large degree. But you know what else doesn't affect the Japanese market to a large degree - whether or not a game had been ported to a different system before or not. Let's say FF3 had been ported to the GameBoy Color in 1999 - I don't think it would have had much of an effect on the sales of FF3 DS. A small effect, sure. But probably similar to the effect of people (a large number of gamers have played emulated NES Roms at some point in their life, by the way) playing FF3 on an emulator at some point.

For what it's worth, FFIII seems to be the most downloaded FF on VC, as of June 21st:

Code:
Rank	Title			Min. downloads	Original sales	Release VC	Original release	Price	Original price	System	avrg. hours:min	avrg. days	Hours played	Days played
1	Final Fantasy III	18,391		1,400,000	2009-07-21	1990-04-27		500	8,400 yen	FC	14:32		9.1		267466		167361
2	Final Fantasy		9,504		520,000		2009-05-26	1987-12-18		500	6,195 yen	FC	10:17		7.37		97788		70046
3	Final Fantasy IV	7,492		1,440,000	2009-08-04	1991-07-19		900	9,240 yen	SFC	19:4		10.36		142799		77624
4	Final Fantasy V		6,660		2,450,000	2011-01-18	1992-12-06		900	9,800 yen	SFC	27:36		12.4		183758		82593
5	Final Fantasy VI	6,464		2,550,000	2011-03-15	1994-04-02		900	11,400 yen	SFC	24:23		10.85		157662		70138
6	Final Fantasy II	5,661		760,000		2009-06-16	1988-12-17		500	6,825 yen	FC	15:31		8.6		87812		48690

FF is the first FF ever and the first to be released on VC, so it's bound to accumulate a decent amount of downloads.

FFIV still is a fan-fav, with the most ports in the series.

V and VI are late VC releases and have been played by a large amount of fans on SFC already, and had GBA ports.

No idea why II did so bad.

Unlike FFIV, FFIII had no ports but a popular DS remake. Which also outsold the other remake and all the enhanced ports in the franchise.

Meanwhile, other FF games on DS and 3DS after FFIII, like the FFCC games, retro FF games and even KH were weaker and continue to decline. On PSP the sales of new FF spin offs and KH have remained relatively consistent though.

FFXIII-2 marks a major decline, but if it will affect following console FFs remains to be seen.

Basically, trends favor Sony platforms, indicate potential on handheld PSP, Vita is too weak to follow up though. DS family saw massive declines for FF and KH games after FFIIIDS.

Spiegel

It's a plan b for Japan that Sony should have put in motion when it became clear for them (early last year) that the first year of the Vita was going to have very few releases and even clearer after Nintendo got Monster Hunter and many other high profile games. And as a plan b Sony would've make incentives for the third parties to put these psp isos on vita cards.

The stock situation isn't any different than with any multiplatform release.

Anyway, this discussion is pointless because Sony isn't planning to do anything. Let's talk about Pokemon.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Spiegel said:
I take it you mean non-native Vita resolution, in which case I have to ask what's the latest internet definition of "most"..
I like the idea of PSP games on carts too though - (on this note, they could probably run those in higher-res too - but I guess that's something that would never happen due to the usual dumb paranoia over 'hurting' the native title sales).

Spiegel

I take it you mean non-native Vita resolution, in which case I have to ask what's the latest internet definition of "most"..
I like the idea of PSP games on carts too though - (on this note, they could probably run those in higher-res too - but I guess that's something that would never happen due to the usual dumb paranoia over 'hurting' the native title sales).

I was exaggerating.

But we just saw a non-native Vita resolution*, ps2 port with extras and some upgraded textures become the best selling game of the system in one week. This shows that putting psp games on Vita shouldn't be a problem.

*I really don't know if Persona 4 Golden is sub-Vita res. It looks blurry to me on screens.

Mpl90

The most important thing to know is if Pokèmon is boosting 3DS as expected.

jman2050

Honestly, I had my doubts about this one, due to the weird sequel thing going on. Glad to see pokefever is contagious as ever.

Pokemon is as sure a bet as you can get in this industry. I imagine the reception will be similar once it gets out in the west.

Honestly, I had my doubts about this one, due to the weird sequel thing going on. Glad to see pokefever is contagious as ever.

why have you had doubts? as a Fan i'd rather a sequel than what we used to get in the past and i'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.

I wonder if the 3DS LL announcement will have any impact.

Seems silly to have announced that a day before these came out.

My thoughts exactly. There will likely still be a big bump though with people updating; but it'll be lower than if they had announced LL next week.

Mind you thats maybe not a bad thing a when those holding off come to buy LL they'll have been playing a lot of Pokemon, could help NSMB2 sales and ensures gamers know a more EXPENSIVE model is available to part their money over.

From the stats perspective it'll be down a bit though.

zroid

Banned
why have you had doubts? as a Fan i'd rather a sequel than what we used to get in the past and i'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
Not about the game itself, just whether it would generate the same kind of interest as other mainline entries, or perhaps more like a third version or spinoff.

It's just an unusual situation is all. I was concerned about the marketing.

Not about the game itself, just whether it would generate the same kind of interest as other mainline entries, or perhaps more like a third version or spinoff.

I get you what meant but do you not consider BW2 as mainline?

Reception seems to be between that of a flagship title and that of a third version. Interest has been drummed up by the new plot and locales, but it hasn't got the natural selling points of new Pokémon and a new region to push it over the top.

Word of mouth, from what I can gather, is very positive.

I assumed mainline meant Black and White, or Diamond and Pearl, as opposed to Platinum.

this (making the game look better) is technically much more different than it looks regardless of how powerful the host platform is (in this case PSP); even if it didn't hurt native title sales, it wouldn't make business to do so 'not' title by title

Mpl90

Oh yeah, because one child with a Pikachu hat and a white 3DS represent a massive boost for the platform. Oh yeah. Try harder Sammy, the next time.

:p I hope Chris will report later in the day about this matter

I think I got those errors that were popping up on Garaph and causing some images with lines that went nowhere cleared up. It seems to have been just one little change in acceptable PHP behavior fixable by two characters* that needed to be applied about a dozen times in various places.

Also as per Road's request, the database table description page has been updated. It seems like it hadn't been touched since being created on June 23, 2008.

*It used to be that getting the results from a query like
mysql_result($genericresult,"Query")
was acceptable if the result was only one row, but now it must be specified that you're grabbing from the first row
mysql_result($genericresult,0,"Query");
madmaxx350 said:
It's in that same sort-of-mainline gray area as games like Final Fantasy X-2.

watershed

Banned
I love pictures of little kids having fun with videogames. I saw a kid going wild with his 3ds today and it made me smile. It reminded me of myself when I was young and it reminded me that while so many people on gaf argue about video games there are still kids who just enjoy them without all the pretense.

When can we expect some numbers for B&W 2? We won't have to wait till the MC thread will we?

I wonder if the 3DS LL announcement will have any impact.

Seems silly to have announced that a day before these came out.

No really. Think of the negative publicity they would have gotten if they had announced it a few days after a large number of Pokemon fans bought their first 3DS.

Top Bottom