• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 25, 2014 (Jun 16 - Jun 22)

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It is when games start coming to PS4, right now there are no games that interests Japan which is exclusive to PS4. In a year, PS4 will be do good in Japan when they have games like Bloodborne, Deep down,
many unannounced
games meant for Japan etc.,

I'm not convinced of all these many unannounced games. They either western focused or mobile bound. Still remains to be seen precisely what the mid tiers are doing,

At Giant Bomb they mentioned that the Konami booth was pretty much empty space filled with nothing. They only came so that no one would take their spot on the show floor and were hard at work trying to prevent people from taking pictures and videos of their empty booth.

They said that Capcom's area was similar.
Don't they need to pay for that floorspace. Bizarre.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Really makes me wonder what can be done about this. Surely Nintendo's next effort will try to bring Japanese devs in, I just wonder how they could go about doing that. I don't think a hybrid is really the answer but how do you make a stationary console attractive to the JApanese audience again? What exactly caused them to drop it so hard anyway? Certainly F2P phone games are very different beasts, was it really a mass exodus from pizza to hamburgers to never eat pizza again?

Mobile and handhelds are substituting home consoles. That's a maybe too syntetic summary, but I think it gives you a partial idea of the situation.

Is PES more popular in Japan than FIFA? Cause I was under the impression it wasn't, and I didn't see FIFA do anything significant for the PS4. Also, yeah, cross-gen - why would they buy it on PS4 if it's the same game on PS3? It's not even like it'll look that much better.

One could say the same thing for Yakuza, GZ, BF4, God Eater 2, Toukiden, etc.

Cross-gen games do shift hardware, even if they're not as significant shift compared to a bonafide exclusive.

How many Namco Bandai licensed games will suffer if Playstation 4 died in Japan?

None.

They'll be made for 3DS/Vita/PS3/WiiU/mobile in Japan, and if it's a localised game that sells well internationally, they'll make a PS4 version just because whatever.

gtj1092

How low do 3DS sale have to drop before people stop lumping it in with mobile? The industry isn't moving from consoles to handhelds and mobile. Its moved from console to handheld and now to mobile.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
sörine;118166234 said:
Those things can thrive on phones now.

Eeeh, I'd say more Vita/3DS/PS3/mobile, in the next few years, then next Nintendo handheld included in the mix as well. Actually, BN already releases lots of anime tie-ins for 3DS, and some also for Vita.

I guess the only hope is that mobile gaming will serve as a gateway for younger gamers to console gaming but I kinda doubt that'll happen and, if it does, it won't be soon enough.

I guess where the next DQ game lands will be real telling of where the japanese pubs perceive that their future is at

Sakura

The lack of a domestic market on home consoles means publishers need to make choices about where better to direct their resources. For some, this will mean developing towards the Western market, even more-so than they are already. For others it will be in realms like mobile and F2P PC; or a combination of both.

Smaller niche titles will probably remain relatively unaffected right now, as they built towards smaller audiences and are costed appropriately. But big budget endeavors primarily focused on the Japanese market are probably in more precarious positions.

How many big budget endeavors primarily focused on the Japanese market have we even been getting these past years? I honestly don't expect much to change.

And really I don't see much of a shift here in Japan compared to the last generation.
We have the Wii U, which sells like shit every where. Is it selling poorly in Japan a sign of anything? I don't believe so.
We have Xbox, which has never been strong in Japan, so when it launches, there will really be no difference than there was over a decade ago. So again, I don't see a change. And even in the west the Xbox has been underperforming these past few months.
Then we have the PS4, which has pretty much no games for the market. Is the fact it's not selling hot a sign of a changing market? Or just a sign that the games aren't there?
And again, talking about the west, consoles don't seem that great either. May for the US was what, under 400k for all 3 new systems combined? Does that mean the market is shifting in the west or that consoles are declining? I don't think so, I think it is just a matter of hardware and software the market isn't as interested in as they were in the past, same with Japan.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
How low do 3DS sale have to drop before people stop lumping it in with mobile? The industry isn't moving from consoles to handhelds and mobile. Its moved from console to handheld and now to mobile.

It's mostly because the 3DS has at least already sold 15 million which shows albeit significantly decreased life but life one the less in the platform. Consoles are completely dead.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Namco actually has many of the top 100 grossing spots with licensed games.

Actually to follow this up:

10. Gundam Conquest
20. ONEPIECE TREASURE CRUISE
24. GUNDAM AREAWARS
30. SD GUNDAM GGENERATION FRONTIER
32. JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE : STARDUST SHOOTERS
39. HUNTER×HUNTER BATTLE ALLSTARS
46. KAMEN RIDER RIDERBOUT!

It keeps going for a while.

sörine;118166642 said:
Isn't console PES made in the UK now?
Co-developed I believe.

jakncoke

Banned
Its kinda crazy looking at the wiki yearly output of ps2 and previous gens of Konami vs now. They used to have like 25 games a year coming out

Tripon

Mobile and handhelds are substituting home consoles. That's a maybe too syntetic summary, but I think it gives you a partial idea of the situation.

Yeah, companies like S-E have already made the transition. A game like Seiken Densetsu or the next entry for the Saga games would have been an AA release somewhere on a handheld 5 years back. Today, they just release it on iOS:

Like this current one:

"Emperor Saga" × "Seiken Densetsu RISE of MANA"

Despite on how I feel current S-E being totally mismanaged, at least their mobile divisions is being productive and making games on time, and being profitable. They're staying on trend, at least to that respect.

Takao

Banned
How many Namco Bandai licensed games will suffer if Playstation 4 died in Japan?

gundam had a run rip in peace

PS3 didn't get many BN licensed games until late into its life. Most of their games look like PS2.5 stuff so 4DS/3DS, Vita and mobile will absorb those. Dragon Ball and Naruto sell a tonne better in the west so they'll continue to be made.

Feel free to add anything I missed.

Japanese third party published/Japanese developed games on PS4/XB1/WiiU at E3, per publisher:

Konami: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4/XB1/360/PS3, actually globalized development between LA and bringing in 30% foreign staff, which given Konami, is surprising)
Square Enix: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4/XB1, PSP port)
Gung-Ho: Let It Die (F2P)
Bandai Namco: Dragon Ball XV (PS4/XB1/360/PS3), One Piece Unlimited World Red (Wii U, 3DS port)
Sega: Nope.
Koei-Tecmo: I think Nintendo is publishing Hyrule Warriors everywhere, but not 100% sure. However, they did show Dynasty Warriors I think?
Capcom: You can stream the PS3 version of Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 over PS Cloud.
Kemco: Alphadia Genesis (Wii U, Android game port)

Can't think of anything missing. Very weak showing.

I guess the only hope is that mobile gaming will serve as a gateway for younger gamers to console gaming but I kinda doubt that'll happen and, if it does, it won't be soon enough.

I guess where the next DQ game lands will be real telling of where the japanese pubs perceive that their future is at

Depends

Will mobile games and trends retain a level of quality that retains our attention for years to come

You can only play so many f2P match 3 games before you get sick of it...

Or maybe I am just a dying breed of gamer

How many big budget endeavors primarily focused on the Japanese market have we even been getting these past years? I honestly don't expect much to change.

And really I don't see much of a shift here in Japan compared to the last generation.
We have the Wii U, which sells like shit every where. Is it selling poorly in Japan a sign of anything? I don't believe so.
We have Xbox, which has never been strong in Japan, so when it launches, there will really be no difference than there was over a decade ago. So again, I don't see a change. And even in the west the Xbox has been underperforming these past few months.
Then we have the PS4, which has pretty much no games for the market. Is the fact it's not selling hot a sign of a changing market? Or just a sign that the games aren't there?
And again, talking about the west, consoles don't seem that great either. May for the US was what, under 400k for all 3 new systems combined? Does that mean the market is shifting in the west or that consoles are declining? I don't think so, I think it is just a matter of hardware and software the market isn't as interested in as they were in the past, same with Japan.
Oh I don't think there's a huge shift either, Japan has hugely diminished in importance in AAA console gaming. And I can only think of a few properties that are bigger, relatively speaking, budget and primarily Japan focused, like Yakuza and Tales.

That said a third of the sales for something like Final Fantasy XIII came from Japan.

Usobuko

Banned
Actually, for E3, Guilty Gear Xrd was there and playable iirc. Xseed and Natsume has some games too.

Aside from that, I can't remember anything else.

Kimawolf

There has to be some kind of Gundam game coming or something for PAy coming. Those numbers are horrible. Sony seemed to have borrowed Nintendo's strategy for Japan. Have no games ready from the first year and see what happens.

RalchAC

Chill dude

they dont have any games yet

Just wait until Bloodborne, FFXV and KH3 hit

Bloodborne won't sell that well. Dark Souls games sell aruond 300-400k LTD.

I don't think this will do much better. It'll move some consoles because PS4 sales by its release date will be quite low.

It's going to be sad to see PS4 sales this Christmas unless something unexpected happens.

Kinda weird feeling about Hotaru no Nikki. It's low numbers but it actually seems to have sold what they shipped (about 10k?) so that's good. And it's already outperformed some other Nippon Ichi bombs from last year (Yandere & Zillions of Enemy X I think) which is something.

I was surprised Nippon Ichi haven't committed to Vita more. Compile Heart are fully on board; Falcom are fully on board; Gust are in full porting mode & Acquire throw bits and pieces. But Nippon Ichi seem to be clinging to PS3 a lot harder.

I think Hotaru no Nikki sales are so low because it was a limited retail edition. So they didn't ship so many units. The game was a digital only release iirc.

Good for MK8. Almost 500,000!

You should check back old threads, a lot of Gaffers were saying PS4 would have no competition and be the console to go to in Japan.

Well, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

Konami: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4/XB1/360/PS3, actually globalized development between LA and bringing in 30% foreign staff, which given Konami, is surprising)
Square Enix: Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (PS4/XB1, PSP port)
Gung-Ho: Let It Die (F2P)
Bandai Namco: Dragon Ball XV (PS4/XB1/360/PS3), One Piece Unlimited World Red (Wii U, 3DS port)
Sega: Nope.
Koei-Tecmo: I think Nintendo is publishing Hyrule Warriors everywhere, but not 100% sure. However, they did show Dynasty Warriors I think?
Capcom: You can stream the PS3 version of Ultra Street Fighter IV on PS4 over PS Cloud.
Kemco: Alphadia Genesis (Wii U, Android game port)

Tecmo will have something else to show for the PS4. Some musou game, probably.
Capcom has that F2P Deep Down beta launching this summer, right? Though I don't see a F2P game boosting sales.
Bamco may announce a PS4 port for their yearly Naruto game.
And knowing Square Type-0 HD won't be ready until Fall 2015.

SEGA releases almost one Yakuza game each year now, right?

Sakura

Oh I don't think there's a huge shift either, Japan has hugely diminished in importance in AAA console gaming. And I can only think of a few properties that are bigger, relatively speaking, budget and primarily Japan focused, like Yakuza and Tales.

That said a third of the sales for something like Final Fantasy XIII came from Japan.
I just don't understand the constant talk like the Japanese market is somehow getting worse than it was. When are these people comparing to? Let's look back 7 years ago, PS3 was at 9,581 Xbox 360 at 3,369, and the Wii at 65,582. What's the big difference here? The Wii U is not making up for the Wii sales, but again, that's the same every where not unique to Japan. So why are people always talking about this Japan console doom? Japan has pretty much always been like this.

As for big budget Japanese centric games, that was always going to be the case because the west will always be a bigger market than Japan and as development costs rise it doesn't make sense to make them any more. The majority of Japanese games have always been decidedly not big budget though, so I really don't see a big shift, except maybe for western gamers.

Week 25, 2007 (Jun 16 - Jun 22)
Code:
1. NDS   -   163,918 |   118,684 | 3,814,038 | 17,819,717
2. WII   -    65,582 |    65,521 | 1,880,933 |  2,800,576
3. PSP   -    32,984 |    33,359 | 1,044,842 |  5,576,971
4. PS2   -    11,962 |    11,974 |   404,057 | 20,558,916
5. PS3   -     9,581 |     9,481 |   481,017 |    938,575
6. 360   -     3,369 |     7,583 |   115,429 |    380,131
7. GBA   -       414 |       867 |    40,232 | 15,338,311
8. NGC   -        82 |       223 |     8,308 |  4,177,776

Week 25, 2014 (Jun 16 - Jun 22)
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     26.311 |     26.575 |     43.269 |  1.036.955 |  1.884.537 |  15.698.875 |
| PSV # |     13.381 |     14.735 |     13.422 |    621.578 |    508.995 |   2.976.935 |
|  WIU  |     10.715 |     12.249 |      5.329 |    276.166 |    325.941 |   1.801.596 |
|  PS4  |      7.009 |      8.395 |            |    612.560 |            |     612.560 |
|  PS3  |      6.339 |      6.564 |      9.816 |    287.672 |    460.745 |   9.997.346 |
| PSP # |      2.335 |      4.325 |      5.091 |     90.109 |    290.605 |  20.158.518 |
|  360  |        214 |        231 |        282 |      6.465 |     14.945 |   1.645.781 |

00000000000000000p.gif

KtSlime

I wonder how VR games will sell in Japan if they become popular and "the next big thing" every where else in the world.
Gaming for the general population in Japan is pretty much limited to commutes and work breaks. VR could do well as an arcade attraction; as home gear probably not. Although there will always be tech enthusiasts who buy it (like current xbox owners).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The indie scene in Japan hasn't evolved either to pick up the slack in any way.

We're going to enter a very rough patch for game development in the near future.

What do you mean the mid tiers in Japan were main thing driving the PS3 for years, as far as slack pulling they have been doing far longer and likely greater than even the indies currently have. The difference is I imagine they're either on the PSV or mobile.

We do not not know if they'll return in any great amount.

Top Bottom