• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

casiopao

I think people are over thinking MHXX on Switch. It exists because Capcom knows that if someone wants a hunting action game on Switch for the next three years XX will their only option. They don't even have to worry about the competition eating their lunch because they won't release on Switch at all.

Lol. Oregano prophecy guys. Now Switch wont have any MH game at all.^_^

duckroll

They have been playing with fire for a while now. It is nothing new.

They killed Dead Rising, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. They wasted time and money with Panta Rhei. They are deep down in some shit.

If Capcom still had a final fight in them, they should show the world their breath of fire and unleash a dino crisis. Then maybe even a devil may cry.

I don't know, and did you mean Capcom?

welp, following a lots of threads and I mistook Capcom for Falcom here. My bad.

But regarding Capcom and PC, they usually bring their western-focused games to PC, but their titles that focus on the Japanese market usually don't. While Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen and USFIV did pretty well on Steam (according to SteamSpy.

I don't think Capcom lacks manpower. Or maybe they do, but I think they're big enough to acquire a small team for PC porting. I think other Japanese companies, such as Bandai Namco and Sega, have proven that there's a market for similar games on PC/Steam. Where are the Vs Capcom fighting games? Capcom has a lot of PS2/GC era games that they could bring over. Killer7 (made in RenderWare, which supports PC), Okami (ported in HD to PS3 in 2012), to name a few. Such games still have a following, so I think people would bite.

Sandfox

So many good Capcom ips that we will never see again while Konami is out there bringing back Bomberman, Momotaro Densetsu, and potentially other franchises.

Oregano

I read it as Capcom dont need to worry for competition on Switch as they wont release any hunting genre on Switch so there is no cost at all anymore for Switch lol.

Ahh no, I meant that the competition isn't going to be releasing on Switch and if Capcom are working on a new Monster Hunter for Switch its not going to release until 2019/2020 at the earliest. XX is the only option for at least a few years.

Sandfox

Ahh no, I meant that the competition isn't going to be releasing on Switch and if Capcom are working on a new Monster Hunter for Switch its not going to release until 2019/2020 at the earliest. XX is the only option for at least a few years.

I can't see them having that long of a gap between releases these days.

casiopao

Ohh. My mistake here lol. o_O

I dont think it will take that long though. Especially if they are just going to take MHW basis for the new game on Switch.

I am more interested if Ninty would try to make their own Hunting game here.

test_account

XP-39C²
No. Its a strawman to frame the argument on the idea that we're even discussing World (or its platform) to any degree at this point, the discussion was/has been about the (mis)handling of XX.

World could be on the 3DS or on the Switch or on the Ouya or the Vita or be exclusive to the Mars Colony in 2060, the discussion would be the same: the timing is stupid, and trying to understand it just leads to a fairly binary end result. Either Capcom are idiots, or they tried to be greedy in a very Capcom fashion and end up potentially undermining their own sales potential...

... So I guess they are just idiots.

The timing/handling of XX Switch just makes zero sense. That's all.
There was talk about Monster Hunter World as well. The posts right before (Capcom being on acid, Capcom have no idea what they are doing, Homer facepalm.jpg) what you quoted were about MHW.

lherre

Accurate
So many good Capcom ips that we will never see again while Konami is out there bringing back Bomberman, Momotaro Densetsu, and potentially other franchises.

This konami "efforts" are low risk/low budget so I'm not sure if they are representative of anything. In fact Momotaro is developed by Nintendo if I'm not mistaken and Konami licensed the IP to them.

sinonobu

Banned
This konami "effortas" are low risk/low budget so I'm not sure if they are representative of anything. In fact Momotaro is developed by Nintendo if I'm not mistaken and Konami licensed the IP to them.

Nah. Nintendo striaght up bought the ip from Konami.

Sandfox

This konami "effortas" are low risk/low budget so I'm not sure if they are representative of anything. In fact Momotaro is developed by Nintendo if I'm not mistaken and Konami licensed the IP to them.

Wouldn't the projects being low effort and low budget mean it's more likely they do it again?

So you guys are saying Bonk is coming back next?
Speaking of old IPs, "You gotta believe!"

Shiggy

Nah. Nintendo striaght up bought the ip from Konami.

Valhalla Game Studios developed the game, Nintendo published and produced it, Konami licensed the IP to Nintendo.

casiopao

Valhalla Game Studios developed the game, Nintendo published and produced it, Konami licensed the IP to Nintendo.

Can it be another case like Fatal Frame where Nintendo own the series which they publish while the main IP still remain with Konami?

I think "Hey Pikmin" will bomb hard in Japan. There doesn't seem to be any buzz around it. It is coming so close to Splatoon 2 and DQXI (also Lady Layton). The timing seems pretty awful and even if past entries sold relatively well (I think GC games were at 500 000 copies and 3 is at 3/400 000 copies), I cannot picture a bright future for our fellow Pikmins on 3DS. Hope I am wrong and hope it won't kill the IP :-(

I think "Hey Pikmin" will bomb hard in Japan. There doesn't seem to be any buzz around it. It is coming so close to Splatoon 2 and DQXI (also Lady Layton). The timing seems pretty awful and even if past entries sold relatively well (I think GC games were at 500 000 copies and 3 is at 3/400 000 copies), I cannot picture a bright future for our fellow Pikmins on 3DS. Hope I am wrong and hope it won't kill the IP :-(

There's also Pikmin 4 (hopefully... please don't be vaporware >.<), so it won't necessarily kill the franchise, but yeah, I agree that there isn't much buzz around that game. It looked kinda dull to me when I watched trailers, but I had a good hands-on time with the game.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

it is an outsourced spinoff with low budget, different gameplay, very soft promotional push.
YOS prediction picture its debut around 50k, 100k could be possible.
it won't kill the beloved-from-miyamoto IP

LordKano

Pikmin 4 will define the future of that IP, not a low budget spin-off.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Kill the IP Shiggy loves because of a outsourced 3DS Spin-off in 2017 ? Come on, we already know Pikmin 4 is in development for Switch.

Shiggy

Can it be another case like Fatal Frame where Nintendo own the series which they publish while the main IP still remain with Konami?

Nintendo doesn't own the Fatal Frame series either. They only own the rights to the three FF games the funded and published. The same is the case with this game.

casiopao

Nintendo doesn't own the Fatal Frame series either. They only own the rights to the three FF games the funded and published. The same is the case with this game.

Sorry if i wrote wrongly there but i actually wanted to said what u said there lol.

It is the same case as Bayonetta 2 right where Sega owned the IP but Ninty owned Bayo 2 rights.

For Pikmin, as long Miyamoto is still around, i had zero fear for ita future. It is after Miyamoto retired that i am afraid.

Is Minecraft Story Mode a significant release in Japan ? I just saw that the Switch version is planned for July 24th.

Nah. It is Minecraft, of course, but Telltale games never were big hitters in Japan.
I think The Walking Dead was the only Telltale game to chart on MC with 3k sales or so.

Eolz

Some posters in this thread come across as shareholders of Capcom. Let them doom themselves if it is what they want. Just enjoy the ride.

I just find it weird to see so many people giving their opinion on what a company should and shouldn't do.

Isn't that what we're doing in those threads though?
Being it about Capcom or another company doesn't really change much in the end.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I haven't made one of these in ages, but I thought people would be unusually interested in how Sony's first mobile game (through the PlayStation division) was going:

hotshotsejjgz.png

That's... probably around $100,000+ a day. We haven't had a lot of great data for 10-20 lately on the charts except for knowing it's been going steadily up in the higher ranks.

RSchmitz

I haven't made one of these in ages, but I thought people would be unusually interested in how Sony's first mobile game (through the PlayStation division) was going:

hotshotsejjgz.png
I think this is the best they will get. Mingol is a perfect fit for mobile, although I find it odd that they changed the 3 presses system.

casiopao

hotshotsejjgz.png

That's... probably around $100,000+ a day. We haven't had a lot of great data for 10-20 lately on the charts except for knowing it's been going steadily up in the higher ranks.

That...looks so so i guess? It is even below FE:H right?

Jigorath

Banned

Fire Emblem is at #19 on the top grossing charts. EG is at #14. We'll have to see how EG legs out over the next couple of months. Looks like a good start though.

EDIT: Fire Emblem of course had a much more explosive start when it launched. But it's also a much bigger brand at the moment.

ggx2ac

hotshotsejjgz.png

I don't know what microtransactions Everybody's Golf is using.

I remember hearing it was mainly cosmetic which referred to getting costumes for your character.

If your character had RPG stats they could easily use Gacha to have you get items that affect your stats like Drive, Putting, Technique etc. Of course it becomes a pay2win game then.

casiopao

Fire Emblem is at #19 on the top grossing charts. EG is at #14. We'll have to see how EG legs out over the next couple of months. Looks like a good start though.

EDIT: Fire Emblem of course had a much more explosive start when it launched. But it's also a much bigger brand at the moment.

FEH swimsuit gacha lack lucina. Thats why they flounder lol. They need moar Lucina to save them.^_^

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I feel it's worth keeping an expectations scale in mind with these things.

Like... I don't think Everybody's Golf is million dollar a day off the bat material.

Similarly, Square Enix places games that only hit these positions during events (or sometimes not even that high) on their notable hit list, even though they have some larger performers.

Or, put another way, if the next Everybody's Golf did 400-500K on PS4, I feel we'd probably consider that a good success, even if FFXV hits a million and Yokai Watch hits 3 million.

Top Bottom