• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Yeah Sometimes I think they believe MH can become the same society phenomenon in the west than the one it is in Japan. They perhaps hope the game will do COD or GTA numbers.

homer-facepalm.jpg

Guess they learned nothing last gen with all those western chasing failures.

casiopao

I want it to be a success too. But it's easy to see Capcom's decisions as unusually risky considering the series' history of success.

Of course. This is Capcom after all. Who is not to say, they wont announce a new Switch exclusive MH 4 months before World release in Japan? This is Capcom bruh.

casiopao

They have a Monster Hunter movie coming up right? Maybe they think that's going to be a hit.

If it is made like RE movie, i can see it doing moderately successful. But if they push deep and hope that it will be as huge as WW or Marvel movie level, then they are eating coolaid+acid at the same time lol.

What posts in this thread are you actually arguing with? I don't see anyone arguing that World shouldn't exist or that Capcom should have predicted that Switch was going to succeed. I simply believe XX Switch being released as it is being released doesn't really make that much sense- its going to get maybe 200K total sales as it looks now.

200k would be in line with other MH HD ports roughly selling 10% of their portable incarnations

Vena

Most sony sales gaffer?^_^

No. Its a strawman to frame the argument on the idea that we're even discussing World (or its platform) to any degree at this point, the discussion was/has been about the (mis)handling of XX.

World could be on the 3DS or on the Switch or on the Ouya or the Vita or be exclusive to the Mars Colony in 2060, the discussion would be the same: the timing is stupid, and trying to understand it just leads to a fairly binary end result. Either Capcom are idiots, or they tried to be greedy in a very Capcom fashion and end up potentially undermining their own sales potential...

... So I guess they are just idiots.

The timing/handling of XX Switch just makes zero sense. That's all.

vareon

I hope it's successful as well, but I also hope Capcom has developed the game with reasonable forecasts in mind.

I hope Capcom treats it as building a new fanbase from scratch instead of expecting it a success out of the wazoo. I think MH's worldwide popularity need to be build up slowly instead of expecting it to be a success just because it's a major success in Japan.

Fularu

Banned
No. Its a strawman to frame the argument on the idea that we're even discussing World (or its platform) to any degree at this point, the discussion was/has been about the (mis)handling of XX.

World could be on the 3DS or on the Switch or on the Ouya or the Vita or be exclusive to the Mars Colony in 2060, the discussion would be the same: the timing is stupid, and trying to understand it just leads to a fairly binary end result. Either Capcom are idiots, or they tried to be greedy in a very Capcom fashion and end up potentially undermining their own sales potential...

... So I guess they are just idiots.

The timing/handling of XX Switch just makes zero sense. That's all.
They are greedy idiots would be the simplest answer really

We have no idea on their expectations for World.

They wouldn'T have poured as much money into it if they believed it would sell on par or ... even worse, less than the portable entries worldwide.

Vena

They wouldn'T have poured as much money into it if they believed it would sell on par or ... even worse, less than the portable entries worldwide.

I refuse to believe that they'd brazenly expect par on this title out of the gate. This has to be seen as a first step project, try to make back more money off of GaaS, and go from there. It *could* come out of the gate and explode like Horizon (and I *could* will all my atoms to teleport across the universe while maintaining consciousness-continuity), but they shouldn't come at this expecting that as the result. Otherwise we're going to get another comical thread of idiocy in "Capcom expects RE7 to sell 10 million units".

That said, the overall successes, I think, will depend on how late that PC release is because if its too late/long and/or of a poor quality, they'll torpedo the upper bound potential.

MANUELF

Banned
Capcom is for sure expecting at least 5 million from Monster Hunter World, the 3DS entries sold 4.5 million and that wasnt enough for them

I hope Capcom treats it as building a new fanbase from scratch instead of expecting it a success out of the wazoo. I think MH's worldwide popularity need to be build up slowly instead of expecting it to be a success just because it's a major success in Japan.

Exactly. Build it up slowly by cultivating a fanbase and then when comes the time for the most ambitious installment in the franchise, toss the fanbase aside and start anew.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Capcom is for sure expecting at least 5 million from Monster Hunter World, the 3DS entries sold 4.5 million and that wasnt enough for them
I really doubt that. What they are probably expecting (and what they have a good chance of getting) is more revenue from this than any other MH due to how monetization of gaming has progressed.

MANUELF

Banned
I really doubt that. What they are probably expecting (and what they have a good chance of getting) is more revenue from this than any other MH due to how monetization of gaming has progressed.

That doesnt explain their move to PS4, they could do that on the 3DS if they wanted

Sandfox

My mistake. I got 5.1 mixed up with 4.1 for whatever reason.

I don't really see that given how well the G/U games sold for them and how cheap it probably was for them. I could just be underestimating what Capcom plans to do in terms of monetization though.

Some posters in this thread come across as shareholders of Capcom. Let them doom themselves if it is what they want. Just enjoy the ride.

I just find it weird to see so many people giving their opinion on what a company should and shouldn't do.

sense

Exactly. Build it up slowly by cultivating a fanbase and then when comes the time for the most ambitious installment in the franchise, toss the fanbase aside and start anew.
Are we still talking about the (mis)handling of mhxx because I am told people are not discussing mhw or it's platform choice?

Anyways with regards to mhxx, does anyone really think Nintendo has no say/input with regards to release plans of the game on switch and 3ds or are we just assuming the capcom side of things to call them idiots? The company has done special directs for the game on both platforms prior to release and are pushing switch bundles. Maybe they felt they didn't need mh at launch or their online stuff wasn't going to get figured out until splatoon launch and they wanted to release both mhxx and splatoon simultaneously for the one-two punch and figured they might have their production in order by then as well.

Chauzu

Some posters in this thread come across as shareholders of Capcom. Let them doom themselves if it is what they want. Just enjoy the ride.

I just find it weird to see so many people giving their opinion on what a company should and shouldn't do.

Ace Attorney is my by far fav gaming franchise so I'd prefer Capcom not put that series in danger by playing with fire with their only remaining consistently big selling IP.

Sandfox

Are we still talking about the (mis)handling of mhxx because I am told people are not discussing mhw or it's platform choice?

Anyways with regards to mhxx, does anyone really think Nintendo has no say/input with regards to release plans of the game on switch and 3ds or are we just assuming the capcom side of things to call them idiots? The company has done special directs for the game on both platforms prior to release and are pushing switch bundles. Maybe they felt they didn't need mh at launch or their online stuff wasn't going to get figured out until splatoon launch and they wanted to release both mhxx and splatoon simultaneously for the one-two punch and figured they might have their production in order by then as well.

This seems like a really big stretch.

MoonFrog

This is such a depressing sentence lol.

TBH GaaS written like that looks villainous to me. Like it would be some demonic creature or evil organization. Think it is the mix of the G, the aa, and the weird capitalization (if it were a creature name).

Mory Dunz

first paragraph makes sense....

but wut at the bolded? This makes up like 80% of gaf discussions.

sense

This seems like a really big stretch.
Maybe but I am just presenting more scenarios than just calling capcom idiots. Decisions like this aren't made in a vacuum. Partners are made aware of release plans well ahead of time and Nintendo knew atleast as early as the first reveal of the nx concept when the mh direct for the 3ds version happened.

ggx2ac

That said, the overall successes, I think, will depend on how late that PC release is because if its too late/long and/or of a poor quality, they'll torpedo the upper bound potential.

Part of the reason it will be late is lack of resources, the other part is to get it running on various PCs.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/06/28/how-monster-hunter-worlds-is-streamlining-a-cult-classic/

Q: You’re coming to PC, but later. Why? Is this a manpower issue, a piracy concern, what?

Tsujimoto: Yeah, it’s… as you said, it’s just a resources and manpower issue. We’re developing the game with our internal Capcom team in Osaka – the Monster Hunter team. We haven’t really put out that much on PC before that’s been developed internally, so we’re just asking for a little bit more time on the PC version so we can bring you a more optimised, fine-tuned version.

Other than that, you can see that our strategy is for the other versions to release everything in the same time, in the same launch window, worldwide. This is the first time ever for a Monster Hunter title. There’s no wait in between the Japanese version and the Western one – we just need a little bit more time to get the PC version done right.

Q: For those hardcore PC players waiting, do you plan to go deep on support for high-end PC users with settings options and such?

Tsujimoto: Yeah – that’s what we need that extra time for – to see how much we can do with PC in terms of meeting the needs of both players who want to go with their super high-spec rigs but also we want to support a huge variety of hardware. Everyone’s got their own custom build on PC, and we’re going to look into what we can do to ensure the PC version is as optimized as possible.

I responded to a post that was specifically about Monster Hunter World and its potential to build a Monster Hunter fanbase worldwide. I pointed out one already exists. So there isn't just one discussion happening.

But even so, you can't talk about the mishandling of Monster Hunter XX HD without talking about Monster Hunter World. World in itself is not a middle finger to the existing fanbase; the middle finger is how Capcom is sabotaging a release that the existing fanbase was excited for to clear the way for Monster Hunter World. That's why I used "toss aside" and "start anew." They're angering the fanbase that they cultivated not by making the next mainline installment on new ecosystems, but by mishandling XX HD to what they mistakenly believe is the benefit of World.

KtSlime

What's the point of examining the numbers without also discussing what moves the companies should take or have taken by folly. That's the entire point of this thread.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ace Attorney is my by far fav gaming franchise so I'd prefer Capcom not put that series in danger by playing with fire with their only remaining consistently big selling IP.
They have been playing with fire for a while now. It is nothing new.

They killed Dead Rising, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. They wasted time and money with Panta Rhei. They are deep down in some shit.

first paragraph makes sense....

but wut at the bolded? This makes up like 80% of gaf discussions.
It is fine when we are talking about a thread specifically dedicated to such information e.g quarterly results but it gets tiring to see the same comments being repeated for a company like Capcom again and again. It was tiring when people said the same for SE betting all on PS4 and it is getting repetitive again to hear the same for Capcom.

casiopao

They have been playing with fire for a while now. It is nothing new.

They killed Dead Rising, Street Fighter and Resident Evil. They wasted time and money with Panta Rhei. They are deep down in some shit.

It is fine when we are talking about a thread specifically dedicated to such information e.g quarterly results but it gets tiring to see the same comments being repeated for a company like Capcom again and again. It was tiring when people said the same for SE betting all on PS4 and it is getting repetitive again to hear the same for Capcom.

Ummm bad move by a company will always be called out. Thats why u dont make those moves.

Nintendo will always be called for how incompetent they handled Wii U.
Sony will always be called for how incompetent they handled PS3
S-E for FF13,14 and 15 development
And now Capcom for well everything they are doing.

We dont really call Konami even after they killed MGS as they are actually doing well there.

If Capcom MHW actually perform well, then us the naysayers will eat our crows. If not, then they better prepare for that Tencent seizing.

Oregano

I think people are over thinking MHXX on Switch. It exists because Capcom knows that if someone wants a hunting action game on Switch for the next three years XX will their only option. They don't even have to worry about the competition eating their lunch because they won't release on Switch at all.

Top Bottom