• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Ōkami

FFX is usually only behind VII in popularity polls by modern FF fans, while XII is one of the least favorites of the bunch.

Nobody wanted this remaster in Japan, that's why SE isn't bothering promoting it.

Anecdotal, but I saw all the insterst of Monster Hunter XX on Switch die after World was announced for everything but it, the fans that were going to get it are going to wait now instead.

I wouldn't expect for 100k first week.

LordKano

Layton's Mystery Dungeon?

e7TIBhP.png

noshten

Ōkami;243016744 said:
[PS4] Gundam Versus - 134
[PS4] Gundam Versus Premium G Sound Edition - 121

Very impressive points for Gundam. But it appears it's a devisive release with complains about paid DLC and missing elements on Amazon and various blogs.

Ōkami;243016744 said:
Preorders
[SWI] Splatoon 2 - 810

[SWI] Monser Hunter XX Nintendo Switch Ver. - 22

The two ends of the Switch spectrum,
MHXX at this point is only going to be rescued by the Switch bundle and how much Nintendo actually produce.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Ōkami;243017347 said:
Anecdotal, but I saw all the insterst of Monster Hunter XX on Switch die after World was announced for everything but it, the fans that were going to get it are going to wait now instead.

Capcom has handled XX terribly- its coming at a time when the 3DS game is still selling and on top of it kneecap it with the next mainline announced 2 months before release.

I had initially high expectations but yes it seems pretty clear it isn't going to do all that well. Maybe it gets to 200K-ish LTD but even that might be a stretch.

With no localization in sight it seems like a waste, frankly.

Vena

Capcom has handled XX terribly- its coming at a time when the 3DS game is still selling and on top of it kneecap it with the next mainline announced 2 months before release.

I had initially high expectations but yes it seems pretty clear it isn't going to do all that well. Maybe it gets to 200K-ish LTD but even that might be a stretch.

With no localization in sight it seems like a waste, frankly.

Capcom being bubbling idiots!? No way!!

Scum

Switch hardware production is going to be something for the next six months...
Ōkami;243017347 said:
FFX is usually only behind VII in popularity polls by modern FF fans, while XII is one of the least favorites of the bunch.

Nobody wanted this remaster in Japan, that's why SE isn't bothering promoting it.

Not the slightest bit surprising. MH Worlds is going to do really really well. A thread will be created and talk of MH finally getting out a "proper version" and "stepping out the ghetto" would be made. lol Ninendo. Yay Capcom.
MHXX on the other hand is going to have meh sales. Thread will be a hilarious read. "lol Nintendo", "Capcom, pls."

Ōkami;243017347 said:

Yeah, Capcom killed its sales pretty hard.
Probably would've been smart to have this at launch before announcing MH World

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Switch hardware production is going to be something for the next six months...

Not the slightest bit surprising. MH Worlds is going to do really really well. A thread will be created and talk of MH finally getting out a "proper version" and "stepping out the ghetto" would be made. lol Ninendo. Yay Capcom.
MHXX on the other hand is going to have meh sales. Thread will be a hilarious read. "lol Nintendo", "Capcom, pls."

/s?.... If you're talking about Western sales, then maybe (I doubt it b/c it looks like a PS3/360 game graphically), but if you're talking about JP sales, not having local multiplayer and no portability seems like a dealbreaker lol.

I feel like they should've just released MHXX on Switch along with 3DS if that was possible, and then had the MHWorld announcement later. Instead they had disappointing sales of MHXX on 3DS, announced MHXX for Switch later to potentially make up some sales, and then killed that possibility by releasing MHWorlds on everything except Switch. So in the world of Capcom, the usual.

schuelma

Yeah, Capcom killed its sales pretty hard.
Probably would've been smart to have this at launch before announcing MH World

I honestly am not even sure what the point was with the release. Capcom seems to be doing everything possible to minimize its sales.

It's funny how Capcom is focusing all efforts on MH World so announcements of anything else is on hold or nonexistent... yet pretty much sent XX switch to die by announcing World.

Vena

Let's hope YouTube isn't indicative of Western interest for Capcom's sake because the statistics ain't so hot. That reveal vid hasn't budged an inch after it's inflated ad run.

Meanwhile everything from Spiderman to Mario Rabbids to MP4.jpeg has gained hundreds of thousands to over a million views and accompanying likes.

:p

I honestly am not even sure what the point was with the release. Capcom seems to be doing everything possible to minimize its sales.

Not having it at launch? Stupidity. Nothing else. They likely had very different expectations for the Switch or wanted as much double dipping (which they sabotaged, so I think the former) as possible. Since the latter is illogical, I'd say it's more the former.

In general, they seem to have completely misread the Switch while NIS(A) and Konami, of all people, seized it. For NISA specifically in the west.

Oregano

To be fair(?) to Capcom no one(third party wise) seems to be handling Switch releases well in Japan with the exception of Konami(with Bomberman), even DQ Heroes is a hot mess.

Scum

/s?.... If you're talking about Western sales, then maybe (I doubt it b/c it looks like a PS3/360 game graphically), but if you're talking about JP sales, not having local multiplayer and no portability seems like a dealbreaker lol.

I feel like they should've just released MHXX on Switch along with 3DS if that was possible, and then had the MHWorld announcement later. Instead they had disappointing sales of MHXX on 3DS, announced MHXX for Switch later to potentially make up some sales, and then killed that possibility by releasing MHWorlds on everything except Switch. So in the world of Capcom, the usual.

You know something? You're right in saying that the lack of local multiplayer & the lack of portability will be a great sales hindrance, but what I'm interested in is how Capcom plans to support the title post launch....
...unless they made a mention of it and I missed it, then I'll just go back to living under a rock. :p

schuelma

You know something? You're right in saying that the lack of local multiplayer & the lack of portability will be a great sales hindrance, but what I'm interested in is how Capcom plans to support the title post launch....
...unless they made a mention of it and I missed it, then I'll just go back to living under a rock. :p

They're going to monetize the crap out of it

LordKano

I look forward to the upcoming interview with a Capcom rep saying that they think the game can sell 10 millions worldwide.

Vena

To be fair(?) to Capcom no one(third party wise) seems to be handling Switch releases well in Japan with the exception of Konami(with Bomberman), even DQ Heroes is a hot mess.

Square rushed a few ports and some ROMs, but they've more or less been on board since Day 1 where possible with newer releases.

Scum

Nirolak and a few others made a great point about how slow Japanese publishers transition over to new hardware, so I don't find it surprising.

They're going to monetize the crap out of it
Capcom, pls. D:

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

I expect lots of DLC, and Capcom are probably gonna milk the hell outta gen 5 assets going forward. I wouldn't be expecting a gen 6 MH until next gen.

Oregano

Square rushed a few ports and some ROMs, but they've more or less been on board since Day 1 where possible with newer releases.

Whilst they are definitely the biggest supporter I don't think they have handled any of their releases particularly well, especially when their only big Switch game is MIA and they refuse to discuss it.

13ruce

Banned
Anyone having Splatoon 2 predictions ready?
Mine is between 75-100k Switch (damn supply constraints) and between 300-400k software units.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Count me in among those who had quite higher expectations for MHXX before seeing the whole MHW-related shenanigans happening. And that's not even counting how MatrixEXE said that Capcom is also developing a Switch-specific brand new MH, so, if that's the case, it would be in Capcom's best interest to NOT self-sabotage their own release. I mean, it'll still serve as a way to start bringing some of MH's userbase to Switch, but at the same time you have MHW (its performance on the market going to be so fascinating to see).

Anyways, between bundles (wondering how many of them Nintendo is preparing - do not expect incredibly high quantities though), hopefully more decent hardware availability and the Switch's ongoing popularty I wouldn't be surprised to see the game getting leggier sales than usual (for example, 300,000 starting from 100,000 first week).

Vena

I've been thinking this too.

It's pretty much guaranteed to have DLC, season passes, and everything else expected of a multiplayer online game (dances? dyes? armor skins? new monsters? etc). They'd be foolish not too since it's an additional revenue stream for a risky project.

Even if sales drop significantly they can get a much higher return per player.

Anyone having Splatoon 2 predictions ready?
Mine is between 75-100k Switch (damn supply constraints) and between 300-400k software units.

650k plus whaterver hardware they put out that week (I'd guess about 100k meaning 750k s2 but that who really knows what they can ship)

Mpl90

Nirolak and a few others made a great point about how slow Japanese publishers transition over to new hardware, so I don't find it surprising.

Capcom, pls. D:

I've probably made way too many posts on that matter in the last few months, so I won't repeat myself this time :p

schuelma

I honestly think 600K is the lowest realistic Splatoon 2 number. All this talk about being severely limited by the install base, not expecting insane attach rates, etc. - what do you think the majority of Switch owners bought it for?

I'm honestly surprised by how many people believe Splatoon 2 will sell less than 500k FW. I thought that was guaranteed.

If Switch is at 1.2m during the week it releases, that would be an attach rate of 42%. I don't think that's unrealistic.

Mpl90

I'm going to take advantage of this renewed talk about Switch software to repost my analysis about software sales: what we actually know and what we could infer (even if through some cross-tracker approximations), as of Week 25, 2017

Media Create: Road to 1.000.000 hardware

PS4 - 46 weeks - 2.500.000 software
WIU - 33 weeks - 1.634.000 software
NSW - 17 weeks - 1.724.000 software

First Party

Total first party sales - < 1,402,903*

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 535,636
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 513,038
1-2 Switch - < 224,829*
Arms - 129,400

* Added Week 25, 2017's sales for the game at 20th in MC Charts to 1-2 Switch's LTD for Week 24, 2017 in order to get a ceiling

Third party

Total third party sales - > 321,097

Let's consider all the third party known sales so far

Super Bomberman R (as of Week 17, 2017) - 77,015
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II for Nintendo Switch (as of Week 12, 2017) - 41,419
Seiken Densetsu Collection - 37,728 (as of Week 24, 2017)
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (as of Week 22, 2017) - 21,139
Puyo Puyo Tetris S (as of Week 10, 2017) - 17,323
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (as of Week 16, 2017) - 7,447

Total known sales - 202,071

Third party sales still unkown (Disgaea 5: Complete + I am Sestuna + Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit + Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit + all the other games with weekly sales missing) - > 119,026

Cross-tracker theory (so, it can't be 100% reliable) by assuming Dengeki post-launch sales were similar to MC's sales outside of Top 20, going with MC debuts

First party

Total first party sales - 1,402,603

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 535,636
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 513,038
1-2 Switch - 224,529
Arms - 129,400

Third party

Total third party sales - 321,397

Super Bomberman R - 92,427
Dragon Quest Heroes I-II for Nintendo Switch - 58,524 (as of Week 23, 2017) | < 60,079*
Puyo Puyo Tetris S - 40,965 (as of Week 24, 2017) | < 41,876*
Seiken Densetsu Collection - 39,084
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers - 24,595 (as of Week 24, 2017) | < 25,506*
Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker (as of Week 20, 2017) - 14,211 (as of Week 20, 2017) | < 18,275**

* same criteria used for 1-2 Switch, but translated with Dengeki numbers and by using the sales at 50th for each week in order to get a ceiling
** the weakest estimate considering how many recent Dengeki charts it missed

Total theorical sales - < 277,247

Third party sales for the titles that never appeared on MC top 20 (Disgaea 5: Complete + I am Setsuna + Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence with Power Up Kit + Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII with Power Up Kit) - > 44,150

gtj1092

If people only care about portable MH how can MHW hurt XX switch sales? Also isn't the argument for bringing XX to the west that it will help satisfy fans and build hype while they wait for MHW? Wouldn't this work the same in Japan.

schuelma

If people only care about portable MH how can MHW hurt XX switch sales? Also isn't the argument for bringing XX to the west that it will help satisfy fans and build hype while they wait for MHW? Wouldn't this work the same in Japan.

Capcom has made it very clear the last month that MH World is the next mainline game. Of course it would impact the XX port. No, World won't sell 4 million in Japan. But it could sell 1 million and still overshadow XX.

I am pretty interested to see how Splatoon 2 fairs.
Splatoon 1 was like the biggest console game in japan for awhile, right?
Depending on how well Salmon run works (which is a 2-4 player local multiplayer mode) it could add quite a bit though it might be awhile till we see it take off.
Not sure how realistic 500k would be at launch, honestly
Capcom's attitude towards the Switch has always been a bit strange.
The only thing that makes much sense is that Nintendo said "It's a home console you can take on the go" and Capcom only understood "home console" and noped straight out of there.

Doesn't make much sense to have 2 guys port an unsupported engine just to release Street Fighter and that came out way after launch. Even Wii U got MH3U day one. So I'm guessing they got over their brain fart and changed their strategy somewhat very late into 2016 or so.

EDarkness

Not at all in Japan. The game is already out on the 3DS. Why would they need to double dip when the next entry in the series is coming fairly soon. I don't think Capcom did themselves any favors by announcing World if they want to sell XX. I think the NS version of XX is gonna underperform.

KtSlime

I am pretty interested to see how Splatoon 2 fairs.
Splatoon 1 was like the biggest console game in japan for awhile, right?
Depending on how well Salmon run works (which is a 2-4 player local multiplayer mode) it could add quite a bit though it might be awhile till we see it take off.
Not sure how realistic 500k would be at launch, honestly

Capcom's attitude towards the Switch has always been a bit strange.
The only thing that makes much sense is that Nintendo said "It's a home console you can take on the go" and Capcom only understood "home console" and noped straight out of there.

Doesn't make much sense to have 2 guys port an unsupported engine just to release Street Fighter and that came out way after launch. Even Wii U got MH3U day one. So I'm guessing they got over their brain fart and changed their strategy somewhat very late into 2016 or so.

I could be wrong, but I think it is the biggest selling game (console) of the decade in Japan. I think the last game to sell over 1.5m was Wii Party back in 2010.

Top Bottom