• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Scum

It's pretty much guaranteed to have DLC, season passes, and everything else expected of a multiplayer online game (dances? dyes? armor skins? new monsters? etc). They'd be foolish not too since it's an additional revenue stream for a risky project.

Even if sales drop significantly they can get a much higher return per player.
Very very good points.

I've probably made way too many posts on that matter in the last few months, so I won't repeat myself this time :p
😂

Let's hope YouTube isn't indicative of Western interest for Capcom's sake because the statistics ain't so hot. That reveal vid hasn't budged an inch after it's inflated ad run.

Meanwhile everything from Spiderman to Mario Rabbids to MP4.jpeg has gained hundreds of thousands to over a million views and accompanying likes.
PS4 version should sell 1 million similar to 3DS games, plus whatever it sells on Steam, and I'm assuming it's going to be significant. Lots of PC players want to give MH a try. It's gonna be an easy impulse buy for all the rabid Steam users.

What happens next will be interesting. I don't think the new buyers will stay loyal to the franchise, and the next game will fall flat, becoming one of the worst selling mainline MH games in history.

ggx2ac

YSO predictions
01. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age < 90k (average 80k)
02. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin < 60k (average 50k)
03. [3DS] Ever Oasis < 20k
03. [PS4] Gundam Versus < 20k

Ever Oasis deserves more than that for sales, would expect for it to have sales longevity but it's already overshadowed by Hey! Pikmin and then Dragon Quest XI comes out two weeks later.

Ever Oasis deserves more than that for sales, would expect for it to have sales longevity but it's already overshadowed by Hey! Pikmin and then Dragon Quest XI comes out two weeks later.
Timing is bad and so is release platform.

Hope Grezzo gets another shot at making their own IP since it's not really their fault

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 27 2017

01./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)
02./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus (Premium G Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games)

03./02. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
05./01. [3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology <RPG> (Atlus)
06./00. [PSV] Omega Labyrinth Z <RPG> (D3Publisher)
07./06. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
08./00. [PS4] Omega Labyrinth Z <RPG> (D3Publisher)
09./03. [3DS] The Alliance Alive <RPG> (FuRyu)
10./08. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
11./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
12./09. [PS4] NieR: Automata <RPG> (Square Enix)
13./12. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
14./05. [PS4] Portal Knights <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
15./18. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games)
16./15. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
17./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
18./14. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive Japan)
19./11. [PS4] Tekken 7 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
20./19. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Dualshockers said:
In a recent interview with DualShockers, Nihon Falcom President Toshihiro Kondo discussed his desire to bring the company's games to the Switch.

Kondo-san began by commenting on the Switch itself:

”The Nintendo Switch is completely a &#8216;Nintendo machine', and that's a really cool thing."
Afterwards, he went on to express his interest in bringing the studio's titles to Nintendo's console:

”Yea, if the opportunity presents itself, I would definitely like to get Falcom games on the Switch."
Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/falcom-games-nintendo-switch/

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

01./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus (Premium G Sound Edition) <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
02./00. [PS4] Gundam Versus <ACT> (Bandai Namco)
03./01. [NSW] ARMS <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./05. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
05./02. [3DS] Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology <RPG> (Atlus)
06./06. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
07./07. [3DS] Monster Hunter Double Cross <ACT> (Capcom)
08./11. [3DS] The Alliance Alive <RPG> (FuRyu)
09./00. [PSV] Omega Labyrinth Z <RPG> (D3Publisher)
10./00. [PS4] Omega Labyrinth Z <RPG> (D3Publisher)
11./15. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V [New Price Edition] <ACT> (Take-Two Interactive)
12./16. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
13./17. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
14./18. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
15./13. [PS4] Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
16./10. [PSV] Osomatsu-San: The Game <ADV> (Idea Factory)
17./09. [PS4] Call of Duty: Black Ops III - Game of the Year Edition <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
18./23. [3DS] Pokémon Moon <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)
19./04. [PS4] Portal Knights <ACT> (Spike Chunsoft)
20./21. [3DS] Pokémon Sun <RPG> (Pokémon Co.)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 27, 2017 (Jul 03 - Jul 09)

01./01. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
02./02. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: In Search of Departed Time <RPG> (Square Enix)
03./03. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
04./04. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin <ACT> (Nintendo)
05./05. [PS4] Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./00. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Deep Strange Journey (25th Anniversary Special Box) <RPG> (Atlus)
07./09. [3DS] The Great Ace Attorney 2: The Resolve of Ry&#363;nosuke Naruhod&#333; <ADV> (Capcom)
08./08. [PS4] New Hot Shots Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
09./00. [PS4] Kyoei Toshi <ADV> (Bandai Namco)
10./12. [3DS] Ever Oasis <RPG> (Nintendo)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 26, 2017 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Pranay

Let's hope YouTube isn't indicative of Western interest for Capcom's sake because the statistics ain't so hot. That reveal vid hasn't budged an inch after it's inflated ad run.

Meanwhile everything from Spiderman to Mario Rabbids to MP4.jpeg has gained hundreds of thousands to over a million views and accompanying likes.

There have been new gameplay videos launched for Monster Hunter World unlike GOW and Spiderman.

Especially that 23 min gameplay video

Capcom aren't entirely shifting MH away from their domestic handheld market any time soon. We've already heard in here from sources that a new Switch entry is planned.
Yeah I think Monster Hunter Portable 5 is a possibility for Switch. I'd say Fall 2018, at the earliest.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Capcom aren't entirely shifting MH away from their domestic handheld market any time soon. We've already heard in here from sources that a new Switch entry is planned.

They are temporarily shifting platform also in terms of mass market perception
It is a dangerous game to play but they are playing it

Quasar

You know something? You're right in saying that the lack of local multiplayer & the lack of portability will be a great sales hindrance, but what I'm interested in is how Capcom plans to support the title post launch....
...unless they made a mention of it and I missed it, then I'll just go back to living under a rock. :p

How did Tri sell? That's the last home console release right?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Don't worry Capcom know what they are doing.
lol

lol

the most "funny" thing is that they aknowledge the potential sales of MHXX on Switch, with both:

- putting it out on the Japanese market before MHW and announcing it before announcing MHW
- denying its localization being scared about it "confusing" the market/eating potential sales of the new mainline title

these two things, so contradictory between each other and also contradictory with their decision to shift the focus, are astouding

So Kamiko apparently sold around 27.500 units on the japanese eshop.
Didn't particularly care for Kamiko, but it's nice that it could find success. 100k world wide is quite a lot
lol

the most "funny" thing is that they aknowledge the potential sales of MHXX on Switch, with both:

- putting it out on the Japanese market before MHW and announcing it before announcing MHW
- denying its localization being scared about it "confusing" the market/eating potential sales of the new mainline title

these two things, so contradictory between each other and also contradictory with their decision to shift the focus, are astouding
It's weird since it basically said "Monster Hunter fans, but a Switch!" and then "oh, buy a PS4 now".

MHXX probably could've sold well. Especially at launch of a hot new system, but a few issues kind of screwed it up. It seems pretty low effort being just 30fps. It's also launching at a poor time around 6 months before MHW, but 6 months after MHXX 3DS and not having any advantages to excuse a double dip.

Xbro

Didn't particularly care for Kamiko, but it's nice that it could find success. 100k world wide is quite a lot
Curiously, it calls into question the famitsu digital estimates we have for switch games. Kamiko was sandwiched between two games that were estimated to be >40K

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
. It's also launching at a poor time around 6 months before MHW, but 6 months after MHXX 3DS and not having any advantages to excuse a double dip.

Yeah its being launched at just a really weird time- leaving the World announcement aside, its coming too late to get the new title hype, but its also launching when the 3DS game is still selling consistently.

Capcom getting the worst of both worlds.

Vena

Remember, we all assumed (given the release date for XX) that it was a cross-gen game at launch.

Remember how baffled we were later, when it was only 3DS on the even of Switch launch.

Now we can be even more baffled!

That being said, looking at from a step back, I think its either (a.) Capcom turned around an incredibly quick port job in a hurry because they misread the market response, or (b.) (and more likely) they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

I think it was (b.) I think they wanted to double dip into their consumer's pockets as much as possible but in the process have completely bungled up the whole thing into a complete tailspin of a landing (and I think they've in the process *lost* significant sales they'd have otherwise had, even from double dipping). On some level, because of the World/XX timing, I almost believe it was (a.) but in such a case they just come off as incredibly incompetent whereas in (b.) they are at least just greedy rather than blindingly stupid.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So Kamiko apparently sold around 27.500 units on the japanese eshop.

Yeah, it seems Famitsu digital estimates are actually OVER the real eShop numbers. So, basically, overestimates generated by surveys conducted through pools on more dedicated users. At least for Breath of the Wild, I still think they underestimated other stuff due to where Blaster Master Zero charted (a deeper analysis for this later. Hopefully).

Nyoro SF

If you're not familiar with Falcom, I can see how you'd think this was a big deal, but it really is a non-story. Unless Nintendo is willing to pony up the same support Falcom gets from Sony (support they've provided for the past 8 years), nothing will change. Kondo's comments are just PR to be polite to people asking.

Also laughing at Dualshockers taking one interview and spreading it over 3+ articles.

Zedark

So what are predictions for the numbers.
It seems there was a stock increase don im going 36k??

Yeah, I think we might see 40+k in the next report, would be a breath of fresh air tbh.

Why a stock increase now, instead of during Splatfest week ?

giphy.gif

Why a stock increase now, instead of during Splatfest week ?

whynotboth.gif

But really, it seems like stock has increased quite a bit this month worldwide. I've seen the system in stock online more often recently, so bigger shipments each week leading up to Splatoon 2 seems plausible.

Edit: Dammit Zedark.

Fularu

Banned
Remember, we all assumed (given the release date for XX) that it was a cross-gen game at launch.

Remember how baffled we were later, when it was only 3DS on the even of Switch launch.

That being said, looking at from a step back, I think its either (a.) Capcom turned around an incredibly quick port job in a hurry because they misread the market response, or (b.) (and more likely) they wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

I think it was (b.) I think they wanted to double dip into their consumer's pockets as much as possible but in the process have completely bungled up the whole thing into a complete tailspin of a landing (and I think they've in the process *lost* significant sales they'd have otherwise had, even from double dipping). On some level, because of the World/XX timing, I almost believe it was (a.) but in such a case they just come off as incredibly incompetent whereas in (b.) they are at least just greedy rather than blindingly stupid.

It's probably both tbh

About 1.1 million in Japan

So let's say world performs similar numbers in Japan. Capcom expects the game to sell aound 3.5- 4 millions in the west to at least match previous entries, right? But as they want to grow the franchise, they hope west buy more than that?
And the game must probably be way more costly than the previous were... So what? Make more money through DLC?

Am I right? The more I think about it, the more I'm lost...

Zedark

I don't think it's the bolded possibility, since at the launch of the 3ds version Capcom already hinted at a Switch version by saying "we hope you'll play it on 3ds first." That suggests to me that the Switch version was already in the works at that time, and they didn't have to scramble to get a Switch version ready because of surprising demand from consumers for the system.

So let's say world performs similar numbers in Japan. Capcom expects the game to sell aound 3.5- 4 millions in the west to at least match previous entries, right? But as they want to grow the franchise, they hope west buy more than that?
And the game must probably be way more costly than the previous were... So what? Make more money through DLC?

The only possible answer is the suits at capcpom were on a shitload of acid when these decisions were made

The answer is basically Capcom has no idea what the fuck they are doing. That or they are expecting the franchise to heavily decline in Japan gen over gen and they need to expand the franchise in the West to maintain the same sales pace. So sell 3 million in the West and 1 million in Japan from now on.

The way they handled XX is embarassingly bad though. And while not particularly relevant the whole XX situation has never killed my interest in a franchise so fast. Let's hope the West is receptive or Capcom will be in some shit.

The only possible answer is the suits at capcpom were on a shitload of acid when these decisions were made

Yeah Sometimes I think they believe MH can become the same society phenomenon in the west than the one it is in Japan. They perhaps hope the game will do COD or GTA numbers.

homer-facepalm.jpg

sense

MH on other systems still hurts nintendo-sales-age-gaffers :D
Lmao, it is amazing how much vitriol capcom has gathered around these threads. Mh world began development 2 or 3 years ago when PS4 already showed huge success overseas and Nintendo did not lock down what switch was going to be. Did people really expect them to hold their horses and pump out more games on 3ds which already started to show its age while Nintendo figures out what they were going to do next? They just looked at the market and figured this would be an opportunity to expand the franchise beyond Japan and make an honest attempt at developing a console game. They didn't have a crystal ball saying switch was going to come out and capture the market like it did especially after Wii U.... and so blaming them for not showing up at launch is a bit much. Instead of bringing out a rushed port of mhxx to overseas markets and hurting the brand, they probably want to make a splash by doing a huge push behind the new one coming out soon, it sucks as a 3ds/switch owner but i can see where they are coming from.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Lmao, it is amazing how much vitriol capcom has gathered around these threads. Mh world began development 2 or 3 years ago when PS4 already showed huge success overseas and Nintendo did not lock down what switch was going to be. Did people really expect them to hold their horses and pump out more games on 3ds which already started to show its age while Nintendo figures out what they were going to do next? They just looked at the market and figured this would be an opportunity to expand the franchise beyond Japan and make an honest attempt at developing a console game. They didn't have a crystal ball saying switch was going to come out and capture the market like it did especially after Wii U.... and so blaming them for not showing up at launch is a bit much. Instead of bringing out a rushed port of mhxx to overseas markets and hurting the brand, they probably want to make a splash by doing a huge push behind the new one coming out soon, it sucks as a 3ds/switch owner but i can see where they are coming from.

What posts in this thread are you actually arguing with? I don't see anyone arguing that World shouldn't exist or that Capcom should have predicted that Switch was going to succeed. I simply believe XX Switch being released as it is being released doesn't really make that much sense- its going to get maybe 200K total sales as it looks now.

Top Bottom