• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

The natural extension of this thread's hatefest on Nintendo by a wider GAF audience.

NPD threads > MediaCreate threads when it comes to viewership and participation.

Also wiiu numbers wont be in the first post so no one will comment until the leak hours later
I kept my expectations reasonable and it pretty much met it. People were really thinking Pikmin 3 would be a gamechanger for some reason. I also think the Wii U will be sub-2K in 2 weeks.

So you think wiiu is dead lol. But seriously i dont see how 30k is unreasonable for pikmin,nslu,and a new bundle. I dont think anyone expected a gamechanger but hatsune miku and p4 did more for vita

Kyon

Banned
The SADDEST thing to me is Digimon not outselling the PSP version. Just proves to me my point about not every game having to be on the system with the highest install base to sell more.

ASIS

I don't think pikmin's numbers are the issue. The question is will people keep buying the system next week for pikmin or will it just sell to the audience and wiiu drops back under 10k. Pikmin will at least struggle to 300k just on the horrible lineup alone

Wiiu had zip in june. Everyone knows it will sell like shit and hardcore nintendo fans will have the 3ds to celebrate. August NPD when pikmin fails to ignite wiiu will be bad.

I fail to understand why people (and more importantly, Nintendo) think Pikmin 3 will move systems. It makes no sense.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, but they really screwed things up since 2011.

LOCK

I think it could stay above 10k for a few weeks off the back of continued Pikmin sales and LEGO undercover, but after that you have basically a dead month until a niche first party title (W101), and then another month until Wind Waker.

Still is better than the first half of the year, but that isn't hard to do.

I see this happening. It dropped to 5k with no releases, so it should hover around 10k with some releases.

At least a game is being released on a weekly basis from this point on.

halogamer

Banned
lol I love it when in threads like these, people say, "Nintendo should throw out some bundles. Bitches love bundles.". Bundles aren't going to do shit unless they are massively cut in price.

DaBoss

The SADDEST thing to me is Digimon not outselling the PSP version. Just proves to me my point about not every game having to be on the system with the highest install base to sell more.
No it doesn't. PSP had a larger install base at the time of release.

Kyon

Banned
No it doesn't. PSP had a larger install base at the time of release.

Than DS? I'm not comparing PSP and 3DS im speaking of when ppl say things like putting something on the highest selling system will automatically make it sell better

07/18
Sniper Elite V2

07/25
LEGO City Undercover

08/08
Ryu ga Gotoku 1&2 HD for Wii U

08/24
The Wonderful 101

09/05
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Low-Price Reprint)
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

09/19
Skylanders: Spyro no Daiboken

09/26
Disney Epic Mickey 2: Futatsu no Ryoku
San Goku Shi 12 with Power-Up Kit
Zelda no Densetsu: Kaze no Takuto

11/28
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

I see this happening. It dropped to 5k with no releases, so it should hover around 10k with some releases.

At least a game is being released on a weekly basis from this point on.

missing a few things but not a weekly basis. in terms of games that will do more than 20k more like monthly

Than DS? I'm not comparing PSP and 3DS im speaking of when ppl say things like putting something on the highest selling system will automatically make it sell better

No one ever said this.

DaBoss

So you think wiiu is dead lol. But seriously i dont see how 30k is unreasonable for pikmin,nslu,and a new bundle. I dont think anyone expected a gamechanger but hatsune miku and p4 did more for vita
looool whoops, meant sub-10k.

sub-2k means it is already buried.

I don't see why people would buy NSLU without having played NSMBU. Did it even have a lot of marketing?

I don't see a color already available being available in a higher priced SKU making a difference.

I think this is easily comparable to Vita and those 2 other games. Handheld market is bigger in Japan and the price differences. I would say looking at it as a ratio, they're equal.

07/18
Sniper Elite V2

07/25
LEGO City Undercover

08/08

08/24
The Wonderful 101

09/05

09/19

09/26

11/28

missing a few things but not a weekly basis

This is very worrisome, indeed. In Japan, WiiU's line-up looks like a complete wasteland and makes NA looks like a dreamworld.

It's funny, because there are Nintendo fanboys constantly saying they don't need western support and should stick with japanese developers only. But, where is the japanese support? I don't think it's only the west who's shafting them, but Japan as well.

Nintendo relations with third-parties certainly is very fucked up to come up to this situation.

Myshkin

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

It's always great to get these on the street stories. If Pikmin sells 100k next week, we'll have a big crow banquet in your honor.

I really hoped the new white SKU would do something. Colors and bundles work so well for the 3DS. Even in the west you can get a Fire Emblem bundle - contrast that with a lack of P4G bundle. It really shows the Nintendo dedication. I suppose it makes sense that color is more important for a handheld; it's more personal.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It's always great to get these on the street stories. If Pikmin sells 100k next week, we'll have a big crow banquet in your honor.

I really hoped the new white SKU would do something. Colors and bundles work so well for the 3DS. Even in the west you can get a Fire Emblem bundle - contrast that with a lack of P4G bundle. It really shows the Nintendo dedication. I suppose it makes sense that color is more important for a handheld; it's more personal.

And apparently white just isn't popular compared to black.

DaBoss

But the DS didn't get this game? Not sure what you're comparing. Your post was comparing the 3DS enhanced port with the PSP version of the game. The PSP was getting a lot more support than the Vita of that is what you're implying, especially with anime tie-in games.

People never say that. People say that a higher userbase means a better potential sell better, which is true.

And DS support tappered off in 2012. It was the 3DS that 3rd-parties were making games for.

This is very worrisome, indeed. In Japan, WiiU's line-up looks like a complete wasteland and makes NA looks like a dreamworld.

It's funny, because there are Nintendo fanboys constantly saying they don't need western support and should stick with japanese developers only. But, where is the japanese support? I don't think it's only the west who's shafting them, but Japan as well.

Nintendo relations with third-parties certainly is very fucked up to come up to this situation.

The sad part is that the only game that will sell 100k is zelda. Nintendo needs to do everthing they can for wonderful 101

I'd say Japanese third-party support is the most remarkable aspect of Wii U's failure, particularly given Nintendo's success with 3DS.

Kyon

Banned
LOL

Gerl go back to Frobrisher Says.

a whew now sis? Never heard of iT
i4lBmK5EcvI1t.gif

im playing AC atm..
getting SMTIV today btw

But the DS didn't get this game? Not sure what you're comparing. Your post was comparing the 3DS enhanced port with the PSP version of the game. The PSP was getting a lot more support than the Vita of that is what you're implying, especially with anime tie-in games.

People never say that. People say that a higher userbase means a better potential sell better, which is true.

And DS support tappered off in 2012. It was the 3DS that 3rd-parties were making games for.

It's a comparison but for that. Yeah for the install bases. Also DS port would've probably slayed tho. The other digimon games were on there right?

allan-bh

So, the next Wii U game with 100k+ first week is Zelda WW HD in the end of september... That's terrible.

I not forgotten W101, just don't believe in that game.

LOCK

07/18
Sniper Elite V2

07/25
LEGO City Undercover

08/08

08/24
The Wonderful 101

09/05

09/19

09/26

11/28

missing a few things but not a weekly basis. in terms of games that will do more than 20k more like monthly

A lot of titles should be announced around TGS for November and December. Games off the top of my head that can be added to that list includes Sonic, COD Ghost, and Pac Man. We should get a Taiko game and maybe an Inazuma game this year also.

Plus Nintendo has to date Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Mario, and DK.

I am not trying to spin it, but I think Nintendo has a price problem that may explain their sales lately. The general market isn't dumb. They know the Wii U is struggling and that a price cut is imminent, so knowing that why buy now.

If X and FExSMT were to come out tomorrow I still wouldn't buy the system because I know a price drop is coming soon. It's the same problem facing the Vita outside of the US. That said, price is only a portion of the problem, but it is undoubtedly having an effect. The Wii U is priced above demand, way above.

Kid Ying

I like Smokey Dave. He's honest about what he wants and, for me, that's the way to go. If you want a system to do well, no problem.

And i don't know about the schedule that Metalslimer just posted, but Spyro was actually released this week. Don't know if it's gonna be a wide release on september, but the game is already in Japan.

About the wii-u bump, well, could be better. It's not bad. Expected.

Pikmin on the other side should be better. I hope that the game managed a couple more sales on the eshop, since it was on sale with 10% of discount. Don't expect more than 10k though.For people who already had the console, it was a good trade. Let's see if it will have legs or not.

Overall, wasn't a baaad week for Wiiu, but it could be much better. People got too caught in Pikmin's hype and expected way more, but this is what it gets for having such a mess of launch. Let's hope that now they can sustain 10k sales for a while. Lego City is right behind the corner and i'm waiting good things for it, since it looks like it's a fun game and no Lego game was ever launched in Japan, so they might tip as novelty. Let's see what happens.

a whew now sis? Never heard of iT
i4lBmK5EcvI1t.gif

im playing AC atm..
getting SMTIV today btw
I see you.

As for your comment, at some point install base shouldn't be a problem, but look at Wii U with its 1 million... Pikmin 3 could've been a SMASH like Luigi's Mansion 2, but Wii U install base is dragging it down.

Mariold with 500k LTD is a stain on the series.

Ouch, but expected. Nothing on the quality of Pikmin but it's just never been a game that could move a significant amount of move units.

Like I've said before push them Indies + VC deals Nintendo because consistent third party releases just ain't happening. If Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 bomb on this console, Platinum is going to have a hell of a time finding work.

Exile20

I am not trying to spin it, but I think Nintendo has a price problem that may explain their sales lately. The general market isn't dumb. They know the Wii U is struggling and that a price cut is imminent, so knowing that why buy now.

If X and FExSMT were to come out tomorrow I still wouldn't buy the system because I know a price drop is coming soon. It's the same problem facing the Vita outside of the US. That said, price is only a portion of the problem, but it is undoubtedly having an effect. The Wii U is priced above demand, way above.

How long are you willing to wait for this price drop? next year? People have be saying so for how long now?

Ofcourse there will be a price drop but I doubt this year.

Xbone and PS4 will also have a price cut at some point, more than one, will you do the same? Wait 2 years for a price drop?

Kyon

Banned
I see you.

As for your comment, at some point install base shouldn't be a problem, but look at Wii U with its 1 million... Pikmin 3 could've been a SMASH like Luigi's Mansion 2, but Wii U install base is dragging it down.

Mariold with 500k LTD is a stain on the series.

Just gotta get that PRICE DROP and WiiU can slay a bit
ii7zic3kAepTa.gif

@ the bolded. I choked

A lot of titles should be announced around TGS for November and December. Games off the top of my head that can be added to that list includes Sonic, COD Ghost, and Pac Man. We should get a Taiko game and maybe an Inazuma game this year also.

Plus Nintendo has to date Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Mario, and DK.

But none of those 3 are relevant in japan. And i would not expect any more 3rd party games this year in japan. And then dk and mario will be at the end of the year.

How long are you willing to wait for this price drop? next year? People have be saying so for how long now?

Ofcourse there will be a price drop but I doubt this year.

Then nintendo is screwed beyond belief. Iwata doest want to bleed money because it will be his head on the platter, but they wont be able to price drop i the manufacturing line has to stop.

NotLiquid

I didn't even realize Lego City wasn't out there yet. Do Lego games do good in Japan? It might keep the platform on a hold.

I agree... its abysmal

Two days of charting, breaks into Top 1 and it's considered "abysmal"?

I mean I agree with most people that Wii U numbers themselves are a bad sign of things to come, but come on. Pikmin 3 numbers are good.

Bruno MB

The sad part is that the only game that will sell 100k is zelda. Nintendo needs to do everthing they can for wonderful 101

In your list only 2 games are almost guaranteed to sell over 50.000 units, and I say almost because I'm not too sure about The Wonderful 101. I tend to think that it will do similar to Viewtiful Joe but who knows.

So we would be talking that during the first 10 or 11 months of this year, only 6 Wii U (2013) releases will have sold over 50.000 units.

So far only 3 games have crossed 50.000 units, New Super Luigi U will join the list in the following weeks.

01. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.985) - 102.188 / 102.188
02. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / 68.036
03. [WIU] Game & Wario <ETC> (Nintendo) {2013.03.28} (¥4.935) - 23.995 / 60.283
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04. [WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3.885) - 27.312 / 27.312

Pathetic how I can't even make a list of 5 releases that have crossed 30.000 units. I only count 2013 titles.

It's a port though, would've done FAR better if it was a sequel as once considered to have been.

And obviously the difference in install base.

In your list only 2 games are almost guaranteed to sell over 50.000 units, and I say almost because I'm not too sure about The Wonderful 101. I tend to think that it will do similar to Viewtiful Joe but who knows.

So we would be talking that during the first 10 or 11 months of this year, only 6 Wii U releases would have sold over 50.000 units.

So far only 3 games have crossed 50.000 units, New Super Luigi U will join the list in the following weeks.

02. [WIU] Dragon Quest X: Mezameshi Itsutsu no Shuzoku Online # <RPG> (Square Enix) {2013.03.30} (¥6.980) - 36.454 / 68.036
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
04. [WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3.885) - 27.312 / 27.312

Pathetic how I can't even make a list of 5 releases that have crossed 30.000 units. I only count 2013 titles.

Jesus the wiiu lineup is the saddest thing ive seen. I cant believe vita had a better first 8 months. I want so hard for wonderful 101 to a breakout hit.

Kid Ying

I didn't even realize Lego City wasn't out there yet. Do Lego games do good in Japan? It might keep the platform on a hold.
There's no Lego game released on Japan, so, it's a shot in the dark. I think it will hold the plataform (and by holding i mean above 10k) but who knows.

Everyone whose saying 2 days of sales in response to the Pikmin sales what are your predictions for next week?

Pikmin sales aren't bad, thay are mediocre, but far from "very good".

20k is good sales for an average week for a system, not one which had Pikmin, a new bundle and NSLU after a long drought of games.

PSV 2012> WiiU 2013 speaks louder than anything in judging just how bad the WiiU has performed.

Kyon

Banned
Everyone whose saying 2 days of sales in response to the Pikmin sales what are your predictions for next week?

20k is good sales for an average week for a system, not one which had Pikmin, a new bundle and NSLU after a long drought of games.

PSV 2012> WiiU 2013 speaks louder than anything in judging just how bad the WiiU has performed.

Its gonna get a bump with a full week then plunge back to the depths after that
iuEzE3lqqWmJr.png

jcm

The stuff from the Chipworks guy was in the WiiU GPU discussion thread, somewhere in the second quarter I would guess. Im sure someone that reads the thread will confirm it. It's pretty amazing if it's true as Nintendo wouldn't be paying much more than MS are for the XBO APU imo.

The controller being around $40 to build is from a ton of threads over the last year, most people said it's no different to a cheap Android tablet screen with a normal controller casing around it.

Like I said, I think the main reason the console is $350 is because Nintendo are greedy and they knew 3 or 4 million hardcore Nintendo fans would buy it at that price.

Material / manufacturing costs also drops in a matter of months when it comes to console hardware, I wouldn't be surprised if they could break even at $250 but they need hardware profit to hit Iwatas ridiculous financial goal...

The console was being sold at a loss at launch. The cost of the console has almost certainly not fallen much, if any, because they are barely building any of the things. Therefore, it is extremely unlikely that they could break even at $250.

NotLiquid

I'm expecting at least a decent hold. It's still out fresh on the third day of a three-day weekend that wasn't accounted for in the charts, and considering the franchise's decent legs it should do well throughout the week.

LOCK

But none of those 3 are relevant in japan. And i would not expect any more 3rd party games this year in japan. And then dk and mario will be at the end of the year.

But at least it is something rather than nothing, which has been the case for most of the year.

Kid Ying

So we would be talking that during the first 10 or 11 months of this year, only 6 Wii U (2013) releases would have sold over 50.000 units.

The lineup was so bad that the only game we can say that really underperformed was Revelaitons. Besides this, this is what you get for 2013.

But i'm sure W101 will sell more than 50k. I'm not sure for Lego, but maybe. Now, more than 100k is already a stretch...

And for this week i think the Wiiu will be at 15k or a little less. Mantaining more than 20k is a pipe dream. After that, who knows.

Top Bottom