• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

I'm expecting at least a decent hold. It's still out fresh on the third day of a three-day weekend that wasn't accounted for in the charts, and considering the franchise's decent legs it should do well throughout the week.

Some numbers would be great ;). We all have different impressions on what a decent hold is so its best to have predictions in numbers to avoid ambiguity:

Mine:

Pikmin: 40k
WiiU: 15k

Its gonna get a bump with a full week then plunge back to the depths after that

Without a doubt.

AniHawk

i'm surprised g&w managed to triple its sales.

i'm also surprised people expected so much of pikmin. this would have done better as a launch title or in the middle of a software revival- not the start of one. the series has never been a huge seller, and this seems to fall in line with that.

also, once you start nearing a decade between sequels, it's really hard to gather that old userbase together. at some point, it's almost like launching a brand new series (see: kid icarus).

i guess i've been out of the loop when it comes to this game and the hype surrounding it, because to me it's always been the little game that could. it managed to do about a million on each entry, and that was good enough for pikmin, but it was obviously not going to bring in more than those with superb taste (like me).

NotLiquid

Jesus the wiiu lineup is the saddest thing ive seen. I cant believe vita had a better first 8 months. I want so hard for wonderful 101 to a breakout hit.

TW101 looks like it could be much more of a success in Japan than in the West if Nintendo hurries up and capitalizes on the Super Sentai appeal. The market for it in Japan is potentially huge but unfortunately I'm not expecting Nintendo to do anything about it.

Some numbers would be great ;). We all have different impressions on what a decent hold is so its best to have predictions in numbers to avoid ambiguity:

Fair enough, I've never really been much for exact predictions but...

Pikmin 3: 85k
Wii U: 17k

DaBoss

People who say 2 days don't realize how front loaded games are, but saying its sales are mediocre is a farcry.

It's a sequel to a game that hasn't had a new entry in years so it's relevancy is very low. It is very in-line with other entries in the series.

There was no new bundle only a new SKU which is just an alternative color to an existing SKU. NSLU is just a retail version of an expansion pal for NSMBU, the better value is in buying NSMBU and then buying NSLU digitally. And there was that NintendoLand+Wiimote which would never amount to anything.

People overblown their expectations for Wii U sales.

Pikmin:30k
Wiiu:12k
People who say 2 days don't realize how front loaded games are, but saying its sales are mediocre is a farcry.

It's a sequel to a game that hasn't had a new entry in years so it's relevancy is very low. It is very in-line with other entries in the series.

There was no new bundle only a new SKU which is just an alternative color to an existing SKU. NSLU is just a retail version of an expansion pal for NSMBU, the better value is in buying NSMBU and then buying NSLU digitally. And there was that NintendoLand+Wiimote which would never amount to anything.

Maybe, but i guess i just expected after such a long drought sales would be more with the biggest game in 8 months

I don't think that many people here realize that the Wii U is already being sold at cheaper price in Japan than most of the other parts of the world (¥26,250 for basic & ¥31,500 for premium), that almost as expensive as the PS3 current price there (¥24,980) and only ¥1000 more than the 3DS original price (¥25,000).

If there will be a price drop it will be in the west but a price drop in Japan unlikely imo.

well... Pikmin 1 and 2 sold sub 200k first week and both ended up at 500k. Actually nintendo games in general tend to be less frontloaded compared to other games.

Ditch the GamePad, update the firmware, and cut the price by a hundred U.S. dollars. The big games for the rest of the year are Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World. Neither make much use of the GamePad, and neither does next years Mario Kart and Smash Bros.

The expensive GamePad will hurt these games sales rather than help.

Oh, and my reaction to the Luigi U sales; BAH BAH! Troopa dance!

Kyon

Banned

The drought tho.. you would think the biggest game in a while would do more than this for a 900k install base.

Wait....

[WIU] New Super Luigi U <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥3.885) - 24.881 / NEW

*death* I didnt even see this X_X

Its had re releases that did decent and its also been advertised well. Furthermore its in line in terms of first week. We can't really be certain if it will have legs.

Maybe mediocre is the wrong word. Average or on par seems better.

Everyone whose saying 2 days of sales in response to the Pikmin sales what are your predictions for next week?

Pikmin sales aren't bad, thay are mediocre, but far from "very good".

20k is good sales for an average week for a system, not one which had Pikmin, a new bundle and NSLU after a long drought of games.

PSV 2012> WiiU 2013 speaks louder than anything in judging just how bad the WiiU has performed.

I'm betting Pikmin 3 and Wii U sales will hold ~50% through Week 29 (Famitsu).

With that said:
Pikmin 3: 102K -> 51K
Wii U: 21K -> 10K

^ Adjust Pikmin 3 lower and Wii U higher for Media Create.

B.O.O.M

Guys don't forget the marketing. Nintendo have been pushing Pikmin and the wiiu a lot in the past week or two

pikmin: 45k
WiiU: 17k

jmood88

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

It is amazing how consistent you are with your ridiculous defense of Nintendo's failures.

Coxy

TW101 looks like it could be much more of a success in Japan than in the West if Nintendo hurries up and capitalizes on the Super Sentai appeal. The market for it in Japan is potentially huge but unfortunately I'm not expecting Nintendo to do anything about it.

Rider Musou will probably be announced between now and then

20./14. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: The Alchemist of Empty Twilight # <RPG> (Gust) {2013.06.27} (¥7.140) - 5.031 / 72.873 (-51%)

T-T When all is said and done it:ll probably be a 20k decline from Totori and Ayesha.

I:m playing this game right now and I really like it, though I wasn:t too excited for it before it reached my door steps. It is too bad it will be the worst selling PS3 Atelier since Rorona. Oh, well.

I hope that Chronos Materia Vita game is good.

prag16

Banned
I don't think many are saying that the Wii U is doomed and has zero hope. They are saying given the current information Nintendo has shared to us on their Wii U plans the outlook doesnt look spectacular. Its sales will of course improve as we approach the holiday season and when big system sellers such as DK, Mario, Mario Kart and SSB arrive on the system. However, given what Nintendo has currently shared with us the system's future doesn't look bright and a best case scenario is looking at GCN level sales.

With all of that said Nintendo could have some other big surprise titles in development in addition to a price cut and a steady stream of heavy hitting software which could drastically improve its sales. However that remains to be seen and we can only discuss what Nintendo has currently shown us.
Actually that's EXACTLY what a lot of people are saying. Hard to blame them for feeling that way at this point though (even as a Nintendo fan).

It's risky to try to set a floor or ceiling right now because a lot can happen and none of us know exactly what the landscape will look like in year (two years, five years), but I'm more inclined to think GCN numbers are somewhere between the floor and ceiling, rather than the best case scenario (and before I get attacked, to be clear I definitely wouldn't be shocked if Wii U ends up under 20mm worldwide).

rockx4

I wonder if Nintendo will really stay with the current Wii U price, it could potentially waste the sales potential of the second batch of games. If that happens the Wii U will be completely fucked.

Which saddens me. It could bring their partnership with Platinum to a new level. But aware of how Iwata handle his business, he might believe TW101 will not bring him profits, so he'll not give a damn.

I wonder if Nintendo will really stay with the current Wii U price, it could potentially waste the sales potential of the second batch of games. If that happens the Wii U will be completely fucked.

Nintendo isn't going to drop it because Iwata isn't willing to loose his job so easily after all the money he made thanks to the shares he holds on the company.

A price drop would take a massive blow to Nintendo's financials. WiiU's already selling at a loss and a price drop will make them bleed even more. Iwata will be fired for sure if that happens.

Actually that's EXACTLY what a lot of people are saying. Hard to blame them for feeling that way at this point though (even as a Nintendo fan).

It's risky to try to set a floor or ceiling right now because a lot can happen and none of us know exactly what the landscape will look like in year (two years, five years), but I'm more inclined to think GCN numbers are somewhere between the floor and ceiling, rather than the best case scenario (and before I get attacked, to be clear I definitely wouldn't be shocked if Wii U ends up under 20mm worldwide).

The Wii U's similarity / underperformance relative to Dreamcast sales in key territories gives people a sense of foreboding.

The Dreamcast lasted a little over two years in Japan before Sega decided to give up on it. I'm personally worried that Nintendo will let the Wii U die after Holiday 2014.

Madouu

It's hard to make a list of 50k+ sellers with such a barren release schedule. I'm actually surprised game and wario is in that list.

My opinion is that TW101 will cross that mark.

The Wii U's similarity / underperformance relative to Dreamcast sales in key territories gives people a sense of foreboding.

The Dreamcast lasted a little over two years in Japan before Sega decided to give up on it. I'm personally worried that Nintendo will let the Wii U die after Holiday 2014.

they wont.

rockx4

Which saddens me. It could bring their partnership with Platinum to a new level. But aware of how Iwata handle his business, he might believe TW101 will not bring him profits, so he'll not give a damn.

Nintendo isn't going to drop it because Iwata isn't willing to loose his job so easily after all the money he made thanks to the shares he holds on the company.

A price drop would take a massive blow to Nintendo's financials. WiiU's already selling at a loss and a price drop will make them bleed even more. Iwata will be fired for sure if that happens.

Unfortunately I think staying their current route the Wii U has no chance of a huge turnaround. I'm expecting every game in the second batch of releases to underperform while the Wii U maintains horrible sales. Maybe Nintendo's decided the Wii U has no chance of a huge turnaround and they'll just let it coast along with horrible sales for 5 years hoping to at least break even eventually with their games.

Once Smash Bros is out i expect Nintendo to pretty much cut 1st party support and work on 3DS. I question whether Zelda U will even be Wii u exclusive or end up Tp'ed

Financially it really does not make that much sense to blow 100 million dollars on Zelda including advertising for 2-3 million sales

Surprisingly good sales for Pikmin 3 and a nice push for Wii U sales. More than expected,

Since the coming month has lot of new Wii U games it will be exciting to see if the upcoming exclusive games (Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Wind Waker, Mario World, Donkey Kong, Mario&Sonic Olympic, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U) along with the Multi-Games (Assassins Creed 4, Deus Ex, Batman, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Splinter Cell) push the Wii U to even higher levels.

Surprisingly good sales for Pikmin 3 and a nice push fpr Wii U sales. More than expected,

Since the coming month has lot of new Wii U games it will be exciting to see if the upcoming exclusive games (Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World, Wind Waker, Mario World, Donkey Kong, Mario&Sonic Olympic, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U) along with the Multi-Games (Assassins Creed 4, Deus Ex, Batman, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Splinter Cell) push the Wii U to even higher levels.

I dont know if you realize but only about 4 of those games will push wiiu sales and wiiu wont sell 20k again until september at the earliest. Sonic is irrelevant in japan and platinum games dont sell great.

sega had no cash

nintendo has a lot of cash

different situation

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I have no idea where to peg W101 for a prediction. I mean I'd hope 50-60k at least is a lock, but theres just always that ultra niche bomb territory Platinum manages to explore at 20k.

Unless Smash Brothers slips to 2015, this will be the perception anyway. You get the Marios, the Karts, the Pikmin, the Mario sports titles, the Smash and then maybe you'll get a Metroid in between the gulf of waiting for the oft delayed Zelda and some sprinkled Kirby march out. By which time of course, its all aboard the next device which in this case will be the next handheld.

In this particular gen scenario it just feels even weirder because theyve put double time into ensuring the 3DS floats at the cost of a whole lot of WiiU titles.

Once Smash Bros is out i expect Nintendo to pretty much cut 1st party support and work on 3DS. I question whether Zelda U will even be Wii u exclusive or end up Tp'ed

Financially it really does not make that much sense to blow 100 million dollars on Zelda including advertising for 2-3 million sales
No way. They said Zelda Wii U was much further along than expected. They have made comments at this years E3 that it is much further along than anyone was expecting. Miyamoto has also made comments that now that they know how to develop for the Wii U it is easier than some of their other systems.

Unfortunately I think staying their current route the Wii U has no chance of a huge turnaround. I'm expecting every game in the second batch of releases to underperform while the Wii U maintains horrible sales. Maybe Nintendo's decided the Wii U has no chance of a huge turnaround and they'll just let it coast along with horrible sales for 5 years hoping to at least break even eventually with their games.

Not that I'm defending Iwata, I actually want him to leave at once. I totally agree with you, keeping the current price tag is suicide and isn't going to move anything. I think Iwata is going to leave in a way or another. If a price drop is anounced, sure, Nintendo will loose money, but will improve WiiU's sales. If they insist keeping WiiU's current price, it won't sell and will kill WiiU. Anyway, Iwata is screwed. If he price drop WiiU, at least his successor will get a scenario where WiiU'll have decent sales, or he can stay and let WiiU die and drive Nintendo into a very critical situation.

It's up to him.

No way. They said Zelda Wii U was much further along than expected. They have made comments at this years E3 that it is much further along than anyone was expecting. Miyamoto has also made comments that now that they know how to develop for the Wii U it is easier than some of their other systems.

Im talking about financials. Perhaps Zelda does come out only on wiiu, but once this wave of games come out next year what does nintendo do with their teams? I expect the next handheld in 2016 so some of nintendos teams will may start working on those games to prevent a 3ds situation

With all the upcoming games the Wii U don't need a price drop. Even a small game like Pikmin 3 gave the Wii U an nice sales push.

If the upcoming games don't increase Wii U sales there is time for a price drop before the big sellers like Mario Kart and Smash Bros are out next year.

If nothing happens this year mario kart and smash will do nothing. What people need to realize that outside of extreme examples like Wii sports, it takes more than one game for a healthy system.

With all the upcoming games the Wii U don't need a price drop. Even a small game like Pikmin 3 gave the Wii U a nice sales push.

If the upcoming games don't increase Wii U sales there is time for a price drop before the big sellers like Mario Kart and Smash Bros are out next year.

With all the upcoming games the Wii U don't need a price drop. Even a small game like Pikmin 3 gave the Wii U an nice sales push.

Of course it does. Where have you been? It's sales have been piss poor for months and with PS4 at 399, keeping at 349 is completely unrealistic. As soon as they price drop it, the better. But, they should do it when a strong line-up comes up. September would be a good guess

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
.@Metalslimer If MK doesn't do anything.... Ch.. Idk anymore

Mario Kart is obviously going to do something. Its more a case of how much "something" are people expecting it and Smash to do? Push 5 million consoles each? 6? Even then we're coming into sub-Gamecube worldwide sales handily

This year will be lucky to finish up at 4.5 million WiiU's worldwide at this rate, possibly not even that depending on shipping news in a couple weeks and if they've gone beyond that 3.45 million initial stock yet.

rockx4

Especially when you can easily buy a PS4 for $50 more.

Yep, keeping the current price is basically sabotaging the games set to release later this year. What will third party publishers think when they see every Nintendo game under-perform?

Mario Kart is obviously going to do something. Its more a case of how much "something" are people expecting it and Smash to do? Push 5 million consoles each? 6? Even then we're coming into sub-Gamecube worldwide sales handily

This year will be lucky to finish up at 4.5 million WiiU's worldwide at this rate, possibly not even that depending on shipping news in a couple weeks and if they've gone beyond that 3.45 million initial stock yet.

Mario kart will do pretty well in terms of units sold compared to other games, but it'll recede back to GC sales numbers at best. Which means it won't move that many units. It's obviously not going to do the crazy Wii Mario Kart numbers. People expecting it to move 5+ million consoles alone are looking at the Wii\DS Mario kart numbers, and it won't do that.

They will be lucky to ship 3 million this year if there is no pricecut. What people dont understand is that the lineup in the west is not going to do anything until november. Even in November I question DKCR's ability to sell to people that dont already own the system, meaning sales could stink all the way into december leaving 4 good month of shipments

ILoveBish

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

I know I'm late, but Bravo. You almost had me fooled that this was a real post.

SmokyDave

Surprisingly good sales for Pikmin 3 and a nice push for Wii U sales. More than expected,

Even higher?!

Is such a thing even possible?!

This post deserves a tag.

Top Bottom