• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

ZoddGutts

This is almost as good as the heat wave post, holy shit
c35Z1rR.gif

Seriously couldn't tell if Joe is being serious or a joke poster with the WiiU stuff. Then Hero made that post which also made it seem like he was trolling him, wherever their being serious or not, their post have been good for a laugh.

For all the talk that Wii U's getting this week, looking at the top50 Vita has a serious problem again. All the leftovers are gone at this point and Toukiden is the only title it has in there. That's pretty worrying as I'm not sure if it's getting any notable releases till the autumn. We could see it dip below 10k, maybe.

Vita is getting price dropped and being turned into an optional $200 WiiPad for PS4 in 2014.

Its life as a platform is at an end.

For all the talk that Wii U's getting this week, looking at the top50 Vita has a serious problem again. All the leftovers are gone at this point and Toukiden is the only title it has in there. That's pretty worrying as I'm not sure if it's getting any notable releases till the autumn. We could see it dip below 10k, maybe.

It definitely will go below 10k. Nothing has been fixed besides the platform probably wont sell 5k for a while. Its nice seeing vita do mediocrely, but the situation remains not good especially with it being non existant in the west

The sales trajectories for the Dreamcast + Wii U have been eerily similar to each other so far...with the Wii U underperforming.

Literally the only thing that went right for wiiu was week 1 and 2. Without those weeks Wiiu is essentially the worst launch since probably the virtual boy.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Hopefully when Japan gets treated to nice overcast next weekend and things cool down, leading to Pikmin 3 selling out everywhere, all you assholes come crawling back and apologize to Joe.

Into

The sales trajectories for the Dreamcast + Wii U have been eerily similar to each other so far...with the Wii U underperforming.

Honestly if someone had suggested that would have been the case in late 2012, they would have gotten laughed off these forums forever.

It really shows just how utterly unpredictable the industry can be, both what the 3 players themselves are doing (MS shocked us with their ideas for the Xbox One) and how the consumer will really react.

EDIT: And it really makes one wonder how the PS4 will do, any sort of prediction, positive or negative could be way off

Seriously couldn't tell if Joe is being serious or a joke poster with the WiiU stuff. Then Hero made that post which also made it seem like he was trolling him, wherever their being serious or not, their post have been good for a laugh.

No I was trying to defend him when it wasn't needed.

Biker19

Banned
Nintendo is in full delusional mode. A severe price cut is the only thing that will get this system any life. 3DS style price cut.

I say throw out the gamepad and make it a peripheral so manufacturing costs don't kill the margins. Require that devs to only support off TV play for the gamepad and that's it.

$250 w / NSMBU + WiiU Pro Controller

None of the big games they have coming out require the gamepad, at all. 3D world, DK Tropical Freeze, Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Wind Waker HD, and I dare say even Wonderful 101 would totally work and still be good games.

Yet despite this fact, some people keep saying the Wii U would be worthless without the gamepad.

It's time to see reality. The system is actually worthless with the gamepad. It's time to toss that thing out and sell it separately. All Nintendo needs to do is a small tweak to the OS to allow full control with the pro pad.

I can't help but feel banking on the tablet screen was not a good idea when almost everyone has a touch device already.

With the DS it was still a new concept, and the DS also already had the new concept of using two screens. With the Wii, motion control was pretty much unexplored in games.

Today however, hundreds of millions of game capable touch devices are sold into the market every year, and it would be hard to find people who would want a Nintendo home console who have never owned a DS and/or 3DS and thus haven't experienced multi-screen gaming. It's kind of hard to play up as a unique selling point even if the implementation is somewhat different.

Nothing so far has justified the GamePad despite how neat it is to lay in your bed and play NSMB U or Black Ops 2, the closest they have got for me personally is the Luigi Mansion minigame in Nintendoland. Meanwhile the Wiimote was justified day 1, as Wii Sports became the hottest videogame perhaps since the original Super Mario Bros. on the NES. Nothing coming out looks to be making much use of it either.

In 2006, if you wanted to go with motion gaming (and people certainly did want just that) then the Wii was your only option, the only thing that reminded of it was the PS2 Eye Toy, which did not work aswell as the Wii did nor was able to achieve what the Wii was going for

In 2012-2013 you cannot walk into a electronic boutique without tripping over a dozen or so devices that have similar touch capabilities, and even better than the Wii U. It is actually difficult to find someone today in the civilized world without a smart phone, unless they are like 70 years old. If you want to play games in your bed, you can do so on a dozen or so devices today, its not a hook to sell your system on. In 2006, there was nothing like the Wii.

Its like they made the hardware first, and are now stuck with coming up with ideas how to use it. Whereas the idea of using the motion of your arms naturally opened up for new games, one look at the Wiimote and you could easily imagine tons of games that could use it.

I would have to agree with all of you. The Gamepad is what's handicapped the system from being profitable from day one, & prevented it from being more cheaper (as well as preventing the console from being more powerful). And it's not even bringing in a lot of people like with the Wiimote & Wii-Sports because it isn't even innovative enough.

It's a disaster all around for them, & is probably turning out to be even worse for them than with the Gamecube.

morikaze

Banned
A lot of you guys are so narrow minded, did you really expect much more from Pikmin 3's release? Really? And to call it the official end of Wii U so soon without the actual system sellers releasing? It's laughable how much some people look for opportunities anywhere to shit on Nintendo. I look at these sales positively as they are factually the best the Wii U has seen since release.

A lot of you guys are so narrow minded, did you really expect much more from Pikmin 3's release? Seriously? It's laughable how much some people look for opportunities anywhere to shit on Nintendo.

I feel like ive sent 25 variations of this post at this point. Is this like what people are told to say in the weekly fan newsletter? I think more fans complain of people shitting on nintendo than people actually shit on nintendo.

morikaze

Banned
I feel like ive sent 25 variations of this post at this point. Is this like what people are told to say in the weekly fan newsletter?

I've only read the first page so it's personal opinion. Have fun with your personal anti-Nintendo vendetta, you will surely look like a moron when things do pick up far down the line.

Meier

The Pikmin sales aren't bad. I'd imagine a lot of people bought it digitally as well. I think it'll have some okay legs too. I hope so at least.

Spiegel

It definitely will go below 10k. Nothing has been fixed besides the platform probably wont sell 5k for a while. Its nice seeing vita do mediocrely, but the situation remains not good especially with it being non existant in the west

Some things have been fixed and Vita is in a much better position than last year. Go and compare the last six months of 2012 with the planned releases for the last six months of 2013 (and there's still time for more announcements). Developers are embracing the multiplatform strategy and some of them have been very successful and surely will try again.

Also it's pulling a PSP again by getting games that the Nintendo console should be getting.

It will be interesting to see how the platform evolves in the next few months. It could go either way with more japanese and multiplatform support or less support due to inexistent western sales and new platforms.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Some things have been fixed and Vita is in a much better position than last year. Go and compare the last six months of 2012 with the planned releases for the last six months of 2013 (and there's still time for more announcements). Developers are embracing the multiplatform strategy and some of them have been very successful and surely will try again.

Its definitely looking healthier from a 3rd party standpoint with a number of PS3 cross releases as you said.

I still maintain that eventually that isn't going to be enough to really drive hardware adoption, and those releases will mostly help satisfy the existing userbase.

Still though, things definitely look better than they have in long time.

Well I meant fixed as in stability. Vita is still a very uncertain platform that is relying on the ps3 maybe to a fault. It still doesn't have its own real library yet and with sony basically turning it into a ps4 player in the west doesnt seem like it will become much more than it is. Of course its not 360 dead anymore so thats an improvement

Mario007

Also it's pulling a PSP again by getting games that the Nintendo console should be getting.

It will be interesting to see how the platform evolves in the next few months. It could go either way with more japanese and multiplatform support or less support due to inexistent western sales and new platforms.
I think it's definitely doing better than last year and Sony's willingness to make Vita easy to port to certainly helps in that regard. It still needs more games announced so that a situation such as the current one, with only 1 title in the top 50 doesn't happen too often.But I guess we'll see the fruits of Vita finding its niche in 2014 really seeing that more companies will be happier to make games for it.
Vita is getting price dropped and being turned into an optional $200 WiiPad for PS4 in 2014.

Its life as a platform is at an end.
I'm talking about Japan not the West.

Literally the only thing that went right for wiiu was week 1 and 2. Without those weeks Wiiu is essentially the worst launch since probably the virtual boy.
See I was hoping we'd see more of those ps3/vita releases since they started appearing. It would be a great way to get devs to learn to code on the Vita and create a library for the system. The next couple of months seem a bit barren, but I guess that's due to some titles not having a release date yet.

Does anyone know when is that cross-anime fighting game supposed to come out on ps3/vita? I think it's called v-jump or something.
I've only read the first page so it's personal opinion. Have fun with your personal anti-Nintendo vendetta, you will surely look like a moron when things do pick up far down the line.
Well you'll certainly have a long a career on GAF with posts like that.

A lot of you guys are so narrow minded, did you really expect much more from Pikmin 3's release? Really? And to call it the official end of Wii U so soon without the actual system sellers releasing? It's laughable how much some people look for opportunities anywhere to shit on Nintendo. I look at these sales positively as they are factually the best the Wii U has seen since release.

Yes. The Pikmin titles were one the best selling games on the GCN, only the Mario games, WW, Pokemon and AC sold better than them (aka Nintendo biggest IPs).

Code:
1	GCN	11/21/2001	Super Smash Bros. Melee	1,349,418
2	GCN	11/8/2002	Mario Party 4	902,348
3	GCN	11/7/2003	Mario Kart: Double Dash!!	825,894
4	GCN	7/19/2002	Super Mario Sunshine	789,989
5	GCN	12/13/2002	The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker	742,609
6	GCN	11/28/2003	Mario Party 5	697,462
7	GCN	11/21/2003	Pokémon Colosseum	656,270
8	GCN	12/14/2001	Animal Crossing	641,300
9	GCN	11/18/2004	Mario Party 6	527,132
10	GCN	10/26/2001	Pikmin	502,996
11	GCN	4/29/2004	Pikmin 2	470,933
12	GCN	11/10/2005	Mario Party 7	454,261
13	GCN	12/12/2003	Donkey Konga	427,096
14	GCN	7/11/2003	Kirby Air Ride	422,311
15	GCN	11/20/2004	Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen! 3	404,951
16	GCN	10/17/2003	WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Games	400,785
17	GCN	11/21/2002	Resident Evil 0	400,750
18	GCN	7/22/2004	Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door	398,218
19	GCN	12/4/2003	Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 2	396,608
20	GCN	6/27/2003	Animal Crossing e+	386,258

Aerogamer

Neo Member
Well Pikmin 3 was never gonna be the game to revive sales. The market Nintendo needs to jumstart is NA, Japan is dedicated to handhelds, but NA has typically been the strongest market for Nintendo home consoles. Previously I thought a $50.00 price drop and games would be enough, but it would not provide much momentum. The Wii U needs much much much... more than a pricedrop and the current upcoming lineup to even get to anything remotely in the realm of success. Now Nintendo is going to make alot with 3DS sales from the point X and Y release, but to revive the Wii U, they need a relaunch with excellent marketing like "We would like to play" and "Kevin Butler". I also think the price of the console needs to be $249.99 in order to compete. The PS4 by all indications is going to be a runaway success, they need to establish themselves as a companion console to it. The games are coming, but when they come they need to have consistent momentum for the console to do well.

onipex

Yes. The Pikmin titles were one the best selling games on the GCN, only the Mario games, WW, Pokemon and AC sold better than them (aka Nintendo biggest IPs).

Code:
17	GCN	11/21/2002	Resident Evil 0	400,750

Clearly Mario Party is whats needed to save the WIi U.

May and June are slowest part of year - if it didn't go down below 10k in those months it like won't happen this year.

Honestly if someone had suggested that would have been the case in late 2012, they would have gotten laughed off these forums forever.

It really shows just how utterly unpredictable the industry can be, both what the 3 players themselves are doing (MS shocked us with their ideas for the Xbox One) and how the consumer will really react.

EDIT: And it really makes one wonder how the PS4 will do, any sort of prediction, positive or negative could be way off

I am cognizant of Sony's commitment to indie titles, but I'm highly concerned about Japanese industry reluctance to embrace any sort of 8th-gen home console outside of AAA productions.

That is, I fear PS4 becoming a highly Western-focused machine along with XBONE. Let's hope I'm proven wrong and PS4 reaches PS3-levels in its home territory.

Compared to the U, sure, but the 3DS isn't exactly a third party powerhouse either.

And yet 3DS will pass the 40 million mark by early next year, proof that at the right price, with the right marketing, a Nintendo console can sell on largely first party output alone.

I wouldn't say third party support for U is dead either, it has four of the biggest third party games of the second half of this year (Splinter Cell Blacklist, CoD Ghosts, AC IV and Watch Dogs).

2014 third party support is not looking good at all though.

People often say that the big name third party game Nintendo need to money hat is GTA V and it would of course be something to have it on a Nintendo console but I think Destiny is *the* massive third party game of 2014 to have.

Madouu

Pikmin 3 first 2 days sales are comparable to the first entry first week sales (100k) which sits ahead of Pikmin 2 in the list you posted. Add to that the fact that we haven't seen a new entry in the franchise since almost a decade and that currently the Wii U has a very limited install base and you'll see that your expectations weren't realistic. All things considered, it did pretty well and it will be a nice point of comparison when future software releases. Its legs will be interesting to keep an eye on too.

Pikmin was also a pseudo launch title for the gamecube but I guess with the barren release schedule for the Wii U in Japan especially, the situation isn't that different if you think about it.

Glass Joe

A Wii U game at number 1? Holy shit, I did not expect that. I know a lot of people are hatin' but didn't the first two Pikmin only clear around 500k in Japan each back in the Gamecube era? So, 90k is nothing to sneeze at considering how small the userbase is and that apparently it only had a couple days on market.

So that and Luigi U tripled Wii U sales. Which are still far from good, but it's actually UP. There should be a somewhat steady flow of 1st party stuff from here on out, and maybe when the more anticipated titles start arriving, things won't look so doomed after all.

We'll see. Still needs a price drop ASAP.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

Wow, so even this week with Pikman 3 it undersold Dreamcast, and Dreamcast had 2 good weeks right before even.

prwxv3

You know the WiiU is in deep shit Japanese third party wise when sengoku basara 4 is a ps3 exclusive. Not to mention the multiple mid teir games like dragons crown are nor coming to WiiU and that some even have vita versions along side ps3 versions. And to top it all off WiiU is not getting FF15 or KH3.

I tihnk Iwatta thought the amazing 3DS support would naturally be replicated on WiiU. Of course this kind of logic is completely stupid especially after the move from ps2->ps3 and PSP->vita Sony experienced

Code:
FAMITSU

[U]DREAMCAST			WII U                   [/U]		
1/4/1999	28,830		1/7/2013	21,489	
1/11/1999	27,439		1/14/2013	16,635	
1/18/1999	22,788		1/21/2013	12,335	
1/25/1999	37,249		1/28/2013	11,714	
2/1/1999	20,327		2/4/2013	11,092	
2/8/1999	15,160		2/11/2013	10,167	
2/15/1999	2WEEK1		2/18/2013	9,495	
2/22/1999	22,797		2/25/2013	9,528	(19,203 2WEEK1)
3/1/1999	13,362		3/4/2013	9,089	
3/8/1999	9,232		3/11/2013	8,567	
3/15/1999	8,952		3/18/2013	10,172	
3/22/1999	16,657		3/25/2013	21,502	
3/29/1999	14,675		4/1/2013	14,413	
4/5/1999	13,348		4/8/2013	10,147	
4/12/1999	6,747		4/15/2013	8,047	
4/19/1999	2WEEK1		4/22/2013	8,058	
4/26/1999	14,882		4/29/2013	10,573	(18,631 2WEEK1)
5/3/1999	7,392		5/6/2013	6,744	
5/10/1999	4,458		5/13/2013	6,058	
5/17/1999	3,344		5/20/2013	5,536	
5/24/1999	4,743		5/27/2013	5,669	
5/31/1999	2,567		6/3/2013	4,549	
6/7/1999	676		6/10/2013	5,031	
6/14/1999	479		6/17/2013	4,236	
6/21/1999	45,058		6/24/2013	5,846	
6/28/1999	25,249		7/1/2013	6,380	
7/5/1999	20,741		7/8/2013	20,728	

TOTAL (from this chart)
DREAMCAST - 387,152
WII U - 273,800

so if wiiU is doing DC. what is vita?

StoopKid

Code:
FAMITSU

[U]DREAMCAST			WII U                   [/U]		
1/4/1999	28,830		1/7/2013	21,489	
1/11/1999	27,439		1/14/2013	16,635	
1/18/1999	22,788		1/21/2013	12,335	
1/25/1999	37,249		1/28/2013	11,714	
2/1/1999	20,327		2/4/2013	11,092	
2/8/1999	15,160		2/11/2013	10,167	
2/15/1999	2WEEK1		2/18/2013	9,495	
2/22/1999	22,797		2/25/2013	9,528	(19,203 2WEEK1)
3/1/1999	13,362		3/4/2013	9,089	
3/8/1999	9,232		3/11/2013	8,567	
3/15/1999	8,952		3/18/2013	10,172	
3/22/1999	16,657		3/25/2013	21,502	
3/29/1999	14,675		4/1/2013	14,413	
4/5/1999	13,348		4/8/2013	10,147	
4/12/1999	6,747		4/15/2013	8,047	
4/19/1999	2WEEK1		4/22/2013	8,058	
4/26/1999	14,882		4/29/2013	10,573	(18,631 2WEEK1)
5/3/1999	7,392		5/6/2013	6,744	
5/10/1999	4,458		5/13/2013	6,058	
5/17/1999	3,344		5/20/2013	5,536	
5/24/1999	4,743		5/27/2013	5,669	
5/31/1999	2,567		6/3/2013	4,549	
6/7/1999	676		6/10/2013	5,031	
6/14/1999	479		6/17/2013	4,236	
6/21/1999	45,058		6/24/2013	5,846	
6/28/1999	25,249		7/1/2013	6,380	
7/5/1999	20,741		7/8/2013	20,728	

TOTAL (from this chart)
DREAMCAST - 387,152
WII U - 273,800

Damn the wii u is is in serious trouble.

What don't you understand? Pikmin 3 was supposed to sell gangbusters! Because it didn't, Wii U is still doomed. I mean there's literally nothing coming out for it the rest of 2013. Super Mario 3DWorld has no release date so that's automatically 2014! That's all she wrote folks

I think Nintendo should do in Japan what I suggested in another thread:

- Drop the price to 250$ in September
- Set two different bundles: (Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 + WiiU) and (New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U + WiiU)
- New WiiU colors.

It's a desperate action? Yes, it is. But's necessary, considering the circunstances.

PS: I suggested a Ubisoft Bundle in NA and EU of Splinter Cell and Rayman Legends.

The only thing that could "save" the Wii U at this point is what "saved" the PS3: a massive price drop and a willingness on Nintendo's part to bleed enormous amounts of money.

If Nintendo is willing to drop the price of the Wii U to 150 bucks and lose 5+ Billion dollars on the Wii U as Sony did on the PS3, I can see that having a dramatic effect on sales.

Barring that extremely unlikely scenario, I don't see any method for the Wii U to be any more than a marginal, niche product.

Didn't saw your posting, Opiate.

But Nintendo has no other options. Unlike Sony, Nintendo is restricted to the videogame business, they need to stay relevent on what they do or otherwise they'll go down.

What don't you understand? Pikmin 3 was supposed to sell gangbusters! Because it didn't, Wii U is still doomed. I mean there's literally nothing coming out for it the rest of 2013. Super Mario 3DWorld has no release date so that's automatically 2014! That's all she wrote folks

Its December 2013.

Log4Girlz

The only thing that could "save" the Wii U at this point is what "saved" the PS3: a massive price drop and a willingness on Nintendo's part to bleed enormous amounts of money.

If Nintendo is willing to drop the price of the Wii U to 150 bucks and lose 5+ Billion dollars on the Wii U as Sony did on the PS3, I can see that having a dramatic effect on sales.

Barring that extremely unlikely scenario, I don't see any method for the Wii U to be any more than a marginal, niche product.

*looks at tag*

There's always a chance of a modest price drop to coincide with the new 3D Mario and a huge marketing campaign to spread the word but...I'm going to have to agree with you. I just don't see that making much of a difference.

Nintendo games are like icing on a cake. You can't just have icing. Spurning 3rd parties was a colossal, and pricey mistake.

Madouu

- Set two different bundles: (Pikmin 3 + Wonderful 101 + WiiU) and (New Super Mario Bros U + New Super Luigi U + WiiU)
- New WiiU colors.

That's a huge loss they are going to take for a not so great potential of units moved with the current software and those bundles you suggested in my opinion.

The console will need a price drop but I don't know if September would be the best time for it. It'll probably do okay during the holidays at the current price point, but it'll need some momentum going into 2014 to avoid a scenario like the one that happened post launch weeks.

Frillen

In this case?

Yup. It should give 'em the impetus to catch up with the other two and then maybe next time I'll actually enjoy the Nintendo console I buy.

So you must love to see the Vita failing as well then, seeing there's absolutely nothing coming for it on the horizon and Sony has pretty much given up on the system. Pretty much everything coming out for it are ports, ports and ports.

vctor182

Code:
[B]17	GCN	11/21/2002	Resident Evil 0	400,750[/B]

RE0 sold better than REmake???

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The console will need a price drop but I don't know if September would be the best time for it. It'll probably do okay during the holidays at the current price point, but it'll need some momentum going into 2014 to avoid a scenario like the one that happened post launch weeks.

Immediately before DKCR:TF or SM3D World, whatever hits first.

- New WiiU colors.

It's a desperate action? Yes, it is. But's necessary, considering the circunstances.

PS: I suggested a Ubisoft Bundle in NA and EU of Splinter Cell and Rayman Legends.

Didn't saw your posting, Opiate.

But Nintendo has no other options. Unlike Sony, Nintendo is restricted to the videogame business, they need to stay relevent on what they do or otherwise they'll go down.

Any reason why we can't wait to see what their heavy hitters do this holiday season?

Top Bottom