• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2013 (Jul 08 - Jul 14)

The basic doesn't really exist. People see the deluxe, and the deluxe alone, unfortunately.
That's all assumptions that we make as hard core gamers, which is majority that picked it up to begin with. The general public buy what is accessible to them. If they want a Wii U for Mario 3D World, they can buy it for $299

AniHawk

So you must love to see the Vita failing as well then, seeing there's absolutely nothing coming for it on the horizon and Sony has pretty much given up on the system. Pretty much everything coming out for it are ports, ports and ports.

tearaway, rayman legends, and dongan ronpa, son.

Madouu

Immediately before DKCR:TF or SM3D World, whatever hits first.

At first, I was thinking they'd go more for an aggressive bundling strategy rather than a price cut for when SM3D World hits but I'm beginning to think otherwise especially with the Nintendo land bundles and white premium sets not having a huge impact on sales it seems, which could be viewed as a sort of testing the waters for this kind of strategy.

Even the price cut strategy doesn't sound great to me, I don't see it having that much of an impact. The answer in my opinion lies more than ever in software, and even if stuff like 3D World, Mario Kart and smash are essential for the console, Nintendo needs to start taking some risks rather than the opposite once these are out of the way.

Also, the idea that Nintendo should aim for people who will buy the console only for Mario Kart or SM3D World is pretty short sighted in my opinion. Yes, it is better than nothing, absolutely, but dropping the price and taking huge losses for a big part of the audience that will only buy one or two games at best isn't really great. Surely, there must be better strategies.

prwxv3

And that $50 difference really is not significant especially when you consider how more value ps4 has compared to WiiU. Sony really threw a wrench in Nintendo's plan (who probably thought they would have a $150 price difference and can't discount the price without bleeding money for a while.)

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Any reason why we can't wait to see what their heavy hitters do this holiday season?

By hitters plural I assume you're including Donkey Kong alongside 3D World there? I think that games going to do well, but its really not a heavy hitter in the sense a 3D Mario, Kart or Smash is.

Also "wait til December and maybe..." isn't the most proactive of plans for a console selling behind the Dreamcast and Vita.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
And that $50 difference really is not significant especially when you consider how more value ps4 has compared to WiiU. Sony really threw a wrench in Nintendo's plan (who probably thought they would have a $150 price difference and can't discount the price without bleeding money for a while.)

Yeah the additional tech really did wonders for the Vita.

That said theres zero support for the Wii U either from Japan or from the rest of the world. And I really can't see that changing no matter what Nintendo tries to do.

NotLiquid

If the Basic can be completely phased out with the Deluxe Model replacing it's price you'll basically have your "soft price reduction" right there. It won't significantly hurt Nintendo to test the waters, and that'll set it $100 cheaper than the PS4 in the long run. If the library ends up being anything to write home about, that'd make the price of admission quite a bit more "fair" since $100 is still a significant gap between consoles. If it doesn't get better, then you can slash another $50.

That's what should be happening right now, and what should have happened during the release of Pikmin 3.

The basic doesn't really exist. People see the deluxe, and the deluxe alone, unfortunately.

And no one buys the basic. The de facto price for 90% of consumers is $350.

At first, I was thinking they'd go more for an aggressive bundling strategy rather than a price cut for when SM3D World hits but I'm beginning to think otherwise especially with the Nintendo land bundles and white premium sets not having a huge impact on sales it seems, which could be viewed as a sort of testing the waters for this kind of strategy.

Even the price cut strategy doesn't sound great to me, I don't see it having that much of an impact. The answer in my opinion lies more than ever in software, and even if stuff like 3D World, Mario Kart and smash are essential for the console, Nintendo needs to start taking some risks rather than the opposite once these are out of the way.

Also, the idea that Nintendo should aim for people who will buy the console only for Mario Kart or SM3D World is pretty short sighted in my opinion. Yes, it is better than nothing, absolutely, but dropping the price and taking huge losses for a big part of the audience that will only buy one or two games at best isn't really great. Surely, there must be better strategies.

By hitters plural I assume you're including Donkey Kong alongside 3D World there? I think that games going to do well, but its really not a heavy hitter in the sense a 3D Mario, Kart or Smash is.

Also "wait til December and maybe..." isn't the most proactive of plans for a console selling behind the Dreamcast and Vita.

That said theres zero support for the Wii U either from Japan or from the rest of the world. And I really can't see that changing no matter what Nintendo tries to do.

People. Everything sounds so doom and gloom but let's be a little bit more positive about Nintendo. Need a candle in the dark....

prwxv3

PS4 is in a totally different situation then vita. And when I said value I did not mean power alone (though it helps getting the current third party next gen games ), it has a up to date online features with a significant upgrade in social features, and it has the third party support.

HardRojo

People. Everything sounds so doom and gloom but let's be a little bit more positive about Nintendo. Need a candle in the dark....

Yeah, let's say the Wii U is performing well when the truth is it is not, people are trying to discuss what's the real situation with the Wii U here, not to fantasize about it.

Road

See I was hoping we'd see more of those ps3/vita releases since they started appearing. It would be a great way to get devs to learn to code on the Vita and create a library for the system. The next couple of months seem a bit barren, but I guess that's due to some titles not having a release date yet.

Does anyone know when is that cross-anime fighting game supposed to come out on ps3/vita? I think it's called v-jump or something.

Upcoming PS3/Vita releases:

Code:
07/25 Dragon's Crown
08/22 Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice
09/26 The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki
09/26 Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
09/26 Rui wa Tomo o Yobu
10/10 Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou!
10/24 Samurai Warriors 3 Moushouden & Empires HD
----- Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD
----- Super Heroine Chronicle
----- J-Stars Victory Vs
----- Rozen Maiden Wechseln Sie Welt ab
----- Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd
----- Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z [spoiler]OK, this one has 360 too =P[/spoiler]

And

08/29 Ragnarok Odyssey Ace - PS3 version delayed
----- Gundam Breaker - Vita version delayed
----- Eiyuu Senki - Vita version delayed

It's not different than any xb1 or vita threads. I have a feeling you weren't asking to light a candle for Sony or MS in those threads.

Madouu

I'm pretty positive about Nintendo personally, software has been great this year on 3ds and it's looking pretty great for the wii u for the rest of the year so I'm pretty satisfied as a gamer.

But the sales and the state of the Wii U as a good environment to develop games for and expect good sales is pretty negative to me right now. Except if you are an indie developer.

I think the main issue right now is that the value proposition for the Wii U isn't good enough, independently from its competitors. The point you are raising is a very secondary one in my opinion in Japan, and it remains to be seen what kind of proposition the ps4 will give software wise at launch too.

Because the alternative is believing they have no way out. Is it that hard to think postive about the company?

Yeah, let's say the Wii U is performing well when the truth is it is not, people are trying to discuss what's the real situation with the Wii U here, not to fantasize about it.

Well, if you want to believe that the real situation is that Nintendo has no way out, then you can go fantasize about that. That's not my belief

It's not different than any xb1 or vita threads. I have a feeling you weren't asking to light a candle for Sony or MS in those threads.

Were you?

beril

And no one buys the basic. The de facto price for 90% of consumers is $350.

Is this the case in japan as well (do media create or famitsu track the different SKUs)? I have no idea why anyone would buy the deluxe without Nintendo Land. 24 GB extra really isn't worth 50$.

Price drop worked with the 3DS. Those games will do little effect if the price kept unchanged, the market already said no to the current price tag. Nintendo is already aware of that, the only reason why they didn't drop it already is because they are on the red for two years in a row and WiiU is selling at a loss.

AniHawk

i think that now they botched the 3ds and wii u, nintendo will be focused purely on profits for the rest of the gen. they won't get a reasonable third party userbase at this point. no one's looking to learn new hardware for older specs.

a price drop is desperately needed, but i'm wondering what game they'll coincide it with. wonderful 101 sure could use it in the west, but maybe nintendo will do it with zelda to give their own studio's game a boost. if there's not one by donkey kong, there won't be one until mario kart.

and this is the company that did the following:

-dropped the gamecube to $100 when it turned two years old
-included games for their $150 and $100 gamecubes
-offered free games for the ds when it wasn't selling initially
-dropped the price of the ds when it was only a few months old
-slashed the price of the 3ds just months after release

they're not oblivious to systems performing poorly, so the question becomes why they aren't doing anything about it now.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
PS4 is in a totally different situation then vita.

Thats only true outside of Japan. It can very well flop inside of Japan. Really the only thing Sony has going for it with the PS4 inside of Japan right now is the rising popularity of Western games in the country. Games that the Wii U will never get because of its struggles over here.

One would imagine a lot would change at TGS but I can remember people thinking the same exact thing about the Vita going into TGS before it was released and then yeah. There was nothing. Biggest announcement was like FFX HD and that wasn't even in development then and it was a PS3 game too.

Madouu

Price drop worked with the 3DS. Those games will do little effect if the price kept unchanged, the market already said no to the current price tag. Nintendo is already aware of that, the only reason why they didn't drop it already is because they are on the red for two years in a row and WiiU is selling at a loss.

Which will still be the case in September.

A price drop is inevitable, I just don't agree with the timing.

Mario007

Upcoming PS3/Vita releases:

Code:
07/25 Dragon's Crown
08/22 Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Masou Kishin III - Pride of Justice
09/26 The Legend of Heroes: Sen no Kiseki
09/26 Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
09/26 Rui wa Tomo o Yobu
10/10 Soccer Tsuku: Pro Soccer Club o Tsukurou!
10/24 Samurai Warriors 3 Moushouden & Empires HD
----- Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD
----- Super Heroine Chronicle
----- J-Stars Victory Vs
----- Rozen Maiden Wechseln Sie Welt ab
----- Hatsune Miku Project Diva F 2nd
----- Dragon Ball Z Battle of Z [spoiler]OK, this one has 360 too =P[/spoiler]

And

08/29 Ragnarok Odyssey Ace - PS3 version delayed
----- Gundam Breaker - Vita version delayed
----- Eiyuu Senki - Vita version delayed
Thanks man! It was j-stars victory vs that i was thinking of. Ypu wouldnt happen to have a list of all vita titles announced for this year handy by any chance?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Because the alternative is believing they have no way out. Is it that hard to think postive about the company?

If yours and their current managements answer is "please wait until Christmas Miracle/Easter Excitement", I don't see any reason for optimism.

As I said earlier in the thread, we're looking at either still 3.5 million WiiU's in the channel currently or about 4 million. Lets go with 4 to be nice. Between the legit heavy hitters, 3D World, Kart, and Smash are going to have to move about 5 million units of hardware each under their own power, and perhaps some other big new title or just an accumulated effect of price drop and better days to move another 2 million over the years and we're at Gamecube's lifetime. Assuming of course theres no crossover between the player that wants to buy in on Mario Jumping, Mario Driving, and Mario Punching.

I just don't think people are seeing the scale here.

Im talking about financials. Perhaps Zelda does come out only on wiiu, but once this wave of games come out next year what does nintendo do with their teams? I expect the next handheld in 2016 so some of nintendos teams will may start working on those games to prevent a 3ds situation
Well it depends, I suppose. I figure Zelda will be a 2015 title. I don't see a Wii U succesor until 2017 delaying Zelda 2-3 years to make it a TP like scenario would be silly. I also figure a lot of these dev teams releasing titles this year and at launch will likely release a 2nd wave of Wii U or 3DS titles and all other dev teams releasing titles 2014 and beyond will likely start 3DS succesor and/or Wii U succesor products.

Scum

i think that now they botched the 3ds and wii u, nintendo will be focused purely on profits for the rest of the gen. they won't get a reasonable third party userbase at this point. no one's looking to learn new hardware for older specs.

a price drop is desperately needed, but i'm wondering what game they'll coincide it with. wonderful 101 sure could use it in the west, but maybe nintendo will do it with zelda to give their own studio's game a boost. if there's not one by donkey kong, there won't be one until mario kart.

they're not oblivious to systems performing poorly, so the question becomes why they aren't doing anything about it now.

I sound like a broken record but I always point an accusing finger at the old goons on the Board that Iwata chose. Like you mentioned, it's the profits they're after. Priorities to the handheld side of things because profits from there seem "easier" than the from the console side of things.

prwxv3

Thats only true outside of Japan. It can very well flop inside of Japan. Really the only thing Sony has going for it with the PS4 inside of Japan right now is the rising popularity of Western games in the country. Games that the Wii U will never get because of its struggles over here.

One would imagine a lot would change at TGS but I can remember people thinking the same exact thing about the Vita going into TGS before it was released and then yeah. There was nothing. Biggest announcement was like FFX HD and that wasn't even in development then and it was a PS3 game too.

I was talking about the west. I forgot this was a media creat thread for a moment. The ps4 still has a lot to do to do well in Japan

Code:
FAMITSU

[U]DREAMCAST			WII U                   [/U]		
1/4/1999	28,830		1/7/2013	21,489	
1/11/1999	27,439		1/14/2013	16,635	
1/18/1999	22,788		1/21/2013	12,335	
1/25/1999	37,249		1/28/2013	11,714	
2/1/1999	20,327		2/4/2013	11,092	
2/8/1999	15,160		2/11/2013	10,167	
2/15/1999	2WEEK1		2/18/2013	9,495	
2/22/1999	22,797		2/25/2013	9,528	(19,203 2WEEK1)
3/1/1999	13,362		3/4/2013	9,089	
3/8/1999	9,232		3/11/2013	8,567	
3/15/1999	8,952		3/18/2013	10,172	
3/22/1999	16,657		3/25/2013	21,502	
3/29/1999	14,675		4/1/2013	14,413	
4/5/1999	13,348		4/8/2013	10,147	
4/12/1999	6,747		4/15/2013	8,047	
4/19/1999	2WEEK1		4/22/2013	8,058	
4/26/1999	14,882		4/29/2013	10,573	(18,631 2WEEK1)
5/3/1999	7,392		5/6/2013	6,744	
5/10/1999	4,458		5/13/2013	6,058	
5/17/1999	3,344		5/20/2013	5,536	
5/24/1999	4,743		5/27/2013	5,669	
5/31/1999	2,567		6/3/2013	4,549	
6/7/1999	676		6/10/2013	5,031	
6/14/1999	479		6/17/2013	4,236	
6/21/1999	45,058		6/24/2013	5,846	
6/28/1999	25,249		7/1/2013	6,380	
7/5/1999	20,741		7/8/2013	20,728	

TOTAL (from this chart)
DREAMCAST - 387,152
WII U - 273,800

The sales trajectories for the Dreamcast + Wii U have been eerily similar to each other so far...with the Wii U underperforming.

What numbers per week would Nintendo be happy with in Japan for WiiU, 40k per week ? which is roughly 2 million per year. The same in the US and EU or more ?.

I'm pretty positive about Nintendo personally, software has been great this year on 3ds and it's looking pretty great for the wii u for the rest of the year so I'm pretty satisfied as a gamer.

But the sales and the state of the Wii U as a good environment to develop games for and expect good sales is pretty negative to me right now. Except if you are an indie developer.

See this is the thing I keep chirping about, the one advantage that the Wii-U has that the N64 and GameCube didn't are indie games and Nintendo Virtual Console. I see no reason why they can't promote and use/cultivate these avenues to fill droughts in their major release schedules. I'm" not saying its a surefire measure, but certainly building large deals around indie titles and VC titles can cover for their lack of 3rd party support to some degree.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
See this is the thing I keep chirping about, the one advantage that the Wii-U has that the N64 and GameCube didn't are indie games and Nintendo Virtual Console. I see no reason why they can't use/cultivate these avenues to fill droughts in their major release schedules. I'm" not saying its a surefire measure, but certainly building large deals around indie titles and VC titles can cover for their lack of 3rd party support to some degree.

They also have a back catalog of 2 generations of highly regarded games that could be turned into HD collections to fill gaps.

It's simple: Iwata keeps saying "Wait for the holidays! You'll all see! The Wii U will turn around! Everything will be fine!"

I wouldn't be surprised if there are internal (NOA and NCL) rumblings and worries about Wii U sales performance and suggestions to help the company out. Unfortunately, since Iwata has such authoritarian rule over all subsidiaries and all corporate direction within the company, he's the one who would have to approve any policy shifts.

And for now, Iwata's completely razor-focused on the holiday season up through the release of Mario Kart 8. For him, it's pretty much irrelevant how poorly the system does before then.

OnDH4ZO.jpg

^ AKA October 2013 - March 2014 releases.

On that note, I'm predicting a price cut announced for the holidays.

morikaze

Banned
What don't you understand? Pikmin 3 was supposed to sell gangbusters! Because it didn't, Wii U is still doomed. I mean there's literally nothing coming out for it the rest of 2013. Super Mario 3DWorld has no release date so that's automatically 2014! That's all she wrote folks

:lol

The light has been shone and I now see the error of my ways. Please forgive me.

And for now, Iwata's completely razor-focused on the holiday season up through the release of Mario Kart 8. For him, it's pretty much irrelevant how poorly the system does before then.

Yup.

HardRojo

Well, if you want to believe that the real situation is that Nintendo has no way out, then you can go fantasize about that. That's not my belief

Wow, where did I say they have no way out? You have an agenda here right? You're just telling everyone who says the Wii U is in a dire situation (which it is, Nintendo recognizes it) that they're wrong and that they want the system to fail when they aren't saying anything like that, if you can't discuss properly and see things as they are then I don't know why you're bothering, there is a reason people aren't too optimistic about the Wii U as it is right now, you should reflect on that.

Scum

It's simple: Iwata keeps saying "Wait for the holidays! You'll all see! The Wii U will turn around! Everything will be fine!"

I wouldn't be surprised if there are internal (NOA and NCL) rumblings and worries about Wii U sales performance and suggestions to help the company out. Unfortunately, since Iwata has such authoritarian rule over all subsidiaries and all corporate direction within the company, he's the one who would have to approve any policy shifts.

OnDH4ZO.jpg

^ AKA October 2013 - March 2014 release.

On that note, I'm predicting a price cut announced for the holidays.

There most definitely is. I'm willing to bet the young boys and girls, Shibata as well as Reggie probably have some bloody good ideas to work with but since Iwata has to go back to the likes of Miyamoto - who will be quick to "Sticker Star" any idea - it's going to be, like you said, the "Wait 'til the Holidays!"

Oh, and by the way, I'm going to go for an August price cut. It'll be $50 but here's hoping it's much more than that.

jvm

Gamasutra.
FWIW the Wii U ASP in the U.S. has been around $335 or so, even a couple of months ago, IIRC. Would have to go back and check.

It was also really hot to the level of heat wave in Japan last week, and it came out in a holiday weekend where people were not in the streets. Even the Pokémon Centers were fairly empty and that seldom happens.

This has an effect on sales. I'm not saying this to spin but as an explanation. You need to factor in all the factors in order to make a determination.

Bookmarked.

This is the new "shot themselves in the foot" rewritable meme, IMO.

HardRojo

Thing is, Nintendo will have the tools to turn things over considerably next year, they have to start working on that goal right now, titles like Smash, SM3D World, Donkey Kong and Bayo 2 (among others) can help the console survive in the next gen war but if Nintendo's waiting till they drop to start being more aggressive and pull a 3DS then they'll have it tough and it will be too late, I know I'm getting a Wii U but not till Black Friday 2014 because I suppose by then most of the titles I want will be out and there will have been a price cut, unless Nintendo sweetens the deal much sooner.

Wow wiiu really has become the next vita with people upset that people aren't praising one of the biggest flops the industry has seen. Get over it, nintendo has one of the biggest fuck ups the industry has seen and they deserve every criticism that comes their way.

If i were nintendo this is what i would do for wii u

1. Get rid of the basic model. SKU swap in japan and price drop to 270 for the deluxe in the US. Throw in game and wario along with nintendo land
2. Offer a subscription plan of 50 dollars a year to play all VC games and a discount program
3. Get over themselves and make a real account system
4. Do a NSMBU and DKC bundle for 300 during BF to compete with the new consoles
5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps for the gen
6. Get a cross platform system set up and take advantage of your damn back catalogue to create some ecosystem

The third party situation is done for this gen but they can at least keep their console image alive.

schuelma

Thing is, Nintendo will have the tools to turn things over considerably next year, they have to start working on that goal right now, titles like Smash, SM3D World, Donkey Kong and Bayo 2 (among others) can help the console survive in the next gen war but if Nintendo's waiting till they drop to start being more aggressive and pull a 3DS then they'll have it tough and it will be too late, I know I'm getting a Wii U but not till Black Friday 2014 because I suppose by then most of the titles I want will be out and there will have been a price cut, unless Nintendo sweetens the deal much sooner.

Agree. If you listen to comments from Ubisoft, it is clear to me that this holiday is literally the only shot Nintendo has at convincing what few 3rd parties are on board to continue development.

If they are not aggressive this holiday, I am reasonably confident that Donkey Kong and 3D Mario World will not have the wow factor to compete with 4 other home consoles on the market.

AniHawk

Oh, and by the way, I'm going to go for an August price cut. It'll be $50 but here's hoping it's much more than that.

part of me says that if they're really serious about getting the system going, they'll cut it by $100 and introduce a new bundle.

if they do it by $50, they'll be focused on profitability for the generation. if it's $100, they'll be focused on profitability (obviously), but they'll be showing a willingness to make the wii u a viable platform as well.

prwxv3

I do hope Nintendo have a complete shift in corporate culture like Sony had. But it's going to be hard when they don't have top employees like yoshida (who did things against the Japan centric mindset when Sony still had it) and they absolutely refuse to let their other divisions to at least give ideas.

schuelma

5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps

Yes. A thousand times yes. This is such a blindingly obvious fix to Nintendo's release schedule problems.

Can you imagine a Galaxy HD collection? I think that could do very well and easily fill in a slow period.

Seriously- Nintendo has supposedly expanded internally to a large degree. Set up one team where all they do is convert GameCube and Wii games to HD.

There most definitely is. I'm willing to bet the young boys and girls, Shibata as well as Reggie probably have some bloody good ideas to work with but since Iwata has to go back to the likes of Miyamoto - who will be quick to "Sticker Star" any idea - it's going to be, like you said, the "Wait 'til the Holidays!"

If it's true that they were losing money on the console at launch (is there anything to stop Nintendo making that up just to answer the 'this is too expensive' question ?) then I can't see it being any more than a $50 price cut, if they even price cut it this year.

A $299 WiiU won't do much imo, it HAS to be $249 with one of the biggest marketing campaigns in the history of gaming to stand a chance of recovering this year to any large degree.

Maybe Iwata's plan is just to ride out 2013, the launch of PS4/XBO, get the big games released and then blitz everyone with a more substantial price cut & marketing campaign at the release of Mario Kart.

kinggroin

Banned
Wow wiiu really has become the next vita with people upset that people aren't praising one of the biggest flops the industry has seen. Get over it, nintendo has one of the biggest fuck ups the industry has seen and they deserve every criticism that comes their way.

If i were nintendo this is what i would do for wii u

1. Get rid of the basic model. SKU swap in japan and price drop to 270 for the deluxe in the US. Throw in game and wario along with nintendo land
2. Offer a subscription plan of 50 dollars a year to play all VC games and a discount program
3. Get over themselves and make a real account system
4. Do a NSMBU and DKC bundle for 300 during BF to compete with the new consoles
5. Get together a development studio to begin porting all their big gamecube games for hd collections. This can easily fill gaps

The third party situation is done for this gen but they can at least keep their console image alive.

I'd add, do whatever it takes to get Mario Kart out for Christmas

Top Bottom