• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 28, 2015 (Jul 06 - Jul 12)

Yokai sold a little worse than I expected, but still a good launch for a spin-off. Splatoon still got dem legs and ORAS, Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8 are still chuggin along.
It's crazy to me that the PS4 is staying above 10k as much as it is without any big releases.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Oof at that Ace Attorney debut. Sad face at the Taiko debut (I still hope it gets localized). Lol at those PS4/Wii U sales (both for completely different reasons).

noobie

Banned
Has 3DS reached its saturation point. No bump such a big launch title?

Minecraft has become an evergreen title for PSV..

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Comgnet retail store chain: please / understand, as of July 2nd, 2015. Directly to you.

[3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 291pt*
[3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer - 133pt + 131pt = 264pt

[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4 - 84pt + 22pt = 106pt
[PS3] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi - 35pt + 18pt =53pt
[PS4] Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi - 22pt

[PSV] Makai Shin Trillion - 24pt

[PS4] Batman: Arkham Knight - 23pt

* = Comg preorder pts from 2011/2012/2013
** = Comg preorder pts up to 2010/2011

Note: Comgnet's ratio between actual please and understand has grown overall in the past year / years, and older preorders points are not as reliable for comparisons as most recent ones, especially if they are from years and years ago. Goodbye Satoru-san.

Disappointing sales for Ace Attorney. Those are well below the series typical level.

Now it's possible that it being a new setup with a new cast and a lot of differences could lead to better legs than Dual Destinies, but for right now I have to consider these sales a notable disappointment.

Taiko PSV saw a steep decline wrt previous handheld entries:

3DS 2014 - 62k / 250k
3DS 2012 - 63k / 550k
PSP 2011 - 110k / 312k
NDS 2010 - 65k / 393k
NDS 2008 - 60k / 695k
NDS 2007- 89k / 641k

Huh?

46k is not a "steep decline" compared to 60k. The only ones it's a big decline compared to are the PSP release and the first DS game.

With the others, it's lower, but not by a huge amount.

Besides, as those numbers show, the first week means comparatively little for Taiko. It's all about the long legs. Especially with the first game released on its respective platform.

Spiegel

Taiko PSV saw a steep decline wrt previous handheld entries:

3DS 2014 - 62k / 250k
3DS 2012 - 63k / 550k
PSP 2011 - 110k / 312k
NDS 2010 - 65k / 393k
NDS 2008 - 60k / 695k
NDS 2007- 89k / 641k

You forgot to list the first two Taiko PSP games. Weird that you missed them when comparing handheld entries.

TnTPortable - 14k
TnTPortable 2 - 14k

Disappointing sales for Ace Attorney. Those are well below the series typical level.

Now it's possible that it being a new setup with a new cast and a lot of differences could lead to better legs than Dual Destinies, but for right now I have to consider these sales a notable disappointment.

Luckily Capcom and retailers will not.

Those sales are on par with AAI2 and you're underestimating what drives the series popularity: characters.

Huh?

46k is not a "steep decline" compared to 60k. The only ones it's a big decline compared to are the PSP release and the first DS game.

With the others, it's lower, but not by a huge amount.

Besides, as those numbers show, the first week means comparatively little for Taiko. It's all about the long legs. Especially with the first game released on its respective platform.

Point is, this entry will never have the usual legs it shows throughout all previous handheld entries so a low debut is critical.

You forgot to list the first two Taiko PSP games. Weird that you missed them when comparing handheld entries.

TnTPortable - 14k
TnTPortable 2 - 14k

Thanks.

The first one was released in 2005, so a bit too early into PSP lifecycle to make meaningful comparison - the second one was basically an expansion pack.

Luckily Capcom and retailers will not.

Those sales are on par with AAI2 and you're underestimating what drives the series popularity: characters.

I've always considered the game play itself to be a big factor, too, and this game is much closer to the traditional games than Investigations was.

At any rate, I'm not underestimating that at all, I'm just saying that these sales are certainly at least a small disappointment unless the game has better than usual legs (which is certainly possible given the new cast).

Point is, this entry will never have the usual legs it shows throughout all previous handheld entries so a low debut is critical.

Why do you assume this entry has absolutely no chance at having typical Taiko legs?

Best selling Pokémon spin-off:

[NDS] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time / Darkness (Pokémon Co. ) - 583,713 / 1,551,640

[3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team / White Dog Squad (Level 5) - 688,386 / NEW (+Digital)

Poor Ace Attorney.
[3DS] Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney (Level 5) - 135,450 / 328,861
[NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth 2 (Capcom) - 134,760 / 219,682

[3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Capcom) - 136,191 / NEW (+Digital)

EkjnAjq.gif

gtj1092

Looks like Wii U and Ps4 are going to beat last years sales when many thought it was impossible especially for Ps4 since it had the benefit of a launch last year. Yay for console gaming living to fight another year.

I've always considered the game play itself to be a big factor, too, and this game is much closer to the traditional games than Investigations was.

At any rate, I'm not underestimating that at all, I'm just saying that these sales are certainly at least a small disappointment unless the game has better than usual legs (which is certainly possible given the new cast).

The very fact that AAI games were successful just shows you how the fanbase is really fond of the characters more than the gameplay.

Why do you assume this entry has absolutely no chance at having typical Taiko legs?

Because of PSV tiny installed base.

Jigorath

Banned
What's interesting about this new Taiko is that a Chinese-translated version is launching in Hong Kong and Taiwan on the same day as Japan, which I think is a first for the series outside of arcade cabinets. It's nice to see Sony and Japanese devs pushing into other Asian markets.

4 million is not tiny and Vita has plenty of games with legs, the newest one being Minecraft.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

True, but "plenty"...? PSV had Persona 4 that sold well through time because of the anime - and Minecraft, which is quite an anomaly - and not the norm.

We'll see in the next weeks how the game is going to perform.

Looks like Wii U and Ps4 are going to beat m last years sales when many thought it was impossible especially for Ps4 since it has the benefit of a launch last year. Yay for console gaming living to fight another year.

Although at this point, it's a bit like just walking up and stepping over the limbo bar.

The very fact that AAI games were successful just shows you how the fanbase is really fond of the characters more than the gameplay.

Why can't it be both? As a fan, I like the game play a lot, and also I like the characters a lot.

The fact that Investigations and the Layton cross over had much lower sales than Apollo Justice (240K first week, over 500K LTD) which featured almost an entirely new cast should also show you that the fanbase cares a lot about the traditional game play even if the cast is different.

Because of PSV tiny installed base.

You're right. No game which profits on kids/expanded audience appeal could have great legs on the Vita given the install base size. What was I thinking?

Minecraft Will never die
Code:
-----------------------------------------
|    |  Minecraft PSVita |              |
|    | [PSV] (2015/03/19)|              |
|----|---------|---------|--------------|
|Week|  Weekly |   LTD   |  Variation   |
|  1 |   36.151|   36.151|            //| 
|  2 |   21.069|   57.220|          -42%| 
|  3 |   15.880|   73.100|          -25%|  
|  4 |   11.842|   84.942|          -25%| 
|  5 |   12.175|   97.117|           +3%|
|  6 |   12.667|  109.784|           +4%|
|  7 |   16.166|  125.951|          +28%|
|  8 |   18.025|  143.976|          +12%|
|  9 |   11.303|  155.278|          -37%|
| 10 |   11.898|  167.176|           +5%|
| 11 |   12.449|  179.625|           +5%|
| 12 |   10.708|  190.332|          -14%|
| 13 |    9.657|  199.989|          -10%|
| 14 |    9.703|  209.693|           +0%|
| 15 |   10.896|  220.589|          +12%|
| 16 |   11.941|  232.530|          +10%|
| 17 |   10.898|  243.428|           -9%|
|Total        -|  243.428|              |
-----------------------------------------

test_account

XP-39C²
Just wait for the legs man, just wait for it.
That made me wonder, has such a senario ever happened? That a new IP starts selling slow and ends up selling a lot in the long run, then a follow-up game is released and it starts selling slow, and ends up selling a lot as well?

This isn't good irregardless of how you may try to dress it.
I'm pretty sure hes talking in relative terms. PS4 has had weeks with much lower sales numbers than that.

Zalman

Not surprised by Ace Attorney. The game has the vibe of a spin-off. It's the same reason why Capcom won't bring it over.

Eh, compared to America maybe, but overall 15k in a week without any games isn't that bad compared to most countries IMO.

Well, compared to Japan itself, those are bad sales - but after all that's the market in 2015. Top-selling console is at 28k units.

You mean the one that didn't get a sequel or a western release? That's reassuring!

AAI2 didn't come over because of the Western sales of the first one - Capcom even stated that (it sold less than Okamiden, or something like that). The spin-off didn't continue because the team was moved towards AA5, IIRC.

jett

D-Member
The only PS4 titles in the top 20 are The Witcher 3 and a seven year-old PS3 game. That's something.

Vena

I'm pretty sure hes talking in relative terms. PS4 has had weeks with much lower sales numbers than that.

I mean, sure? But that list of titles makes it sound like "look at how much SE has done!" when they've done nothing and 12k has been within the ballpark of the baseline all year.

In relative terms should we have been celebrating the mighty rise to prominence/life of the WiiU over the last two months? :p
The mighty rise of Splatoon!
Obviously not, even in relative terms.

Sakura

Well, compared to Japan itself, those are bad sales - but after all that's the market in 2015. Top-selling console is at 28k units.

Compared to which Japan? PS2 Japan sure maybe, but that was a long time ago (and was also a lot cheaper), and I don't think there is much point in making comparisons to that era any more. PS3 had plenty of weeks with similar numbers, and even without games the PS4 is still up YOY so I don't think it's that bad.
I'm not saying the numbers are great or anything, but, I just don't think they are really that bad for the PS4 all things considered.

test_account

XP-39C²
I mean, sure? But that list of titles makes it sound like "look at how much SE has done!" when they've done nothing and 12k has been within the ballpark of the baseline all year.

In relative terms should we have been celebrating the mighty rise to prominence/life of the WiiU over the last two months? :p
The mighty rise of Splatoon!
Obviously not, even in relative terms.
Hm, i thought maybe it had been lower more recently, but time goes fast, so maybe its longer than i thougth.

Yeah, i've seen positive comments about the WiiU hardware sales recently :)

hiska-kun

Can't wait for Dengeki for Yo-kai Watch Busters sales and sell-through.
It was reported by retailers that White Dog Squad version is selling far better, and the Red Cat Team version is not selling that well.

I can see a
White Dog Squad >80% sell-through
Red Cat Team <60% sell-through

PS_WiiU_YoshisWoollyWorld_UKV.jpg

Launchig tomorrow, should help for a while!

It will bomb very hard, right? :(
It looks too cute to bomb hard...I hope.

Looks like 3DS sales have hit the point where big releases will no longer have a big effect on hardware sales. Big sales periods will probably just be holidays. Most people that want one seem to have one given how many it's sold. Nintendo is stretching it into next year, but I guess in Japan there are a fair few Monster Hunter/Dragon Quest titles coming.

Top Bottom