• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 29, 2015 (Jul 13 - Jul 19)

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
With the footage shown, seems the 3DS version would be coming out first?

A release a la Smash Bros?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So NX launch lineup for now :

DQ X, DQ XI, Zelda ?

The big question considering SE know if this is a DQ specific thing or if they would wanna port their other JRPGs to NX considering the system will likely be able to handle UE4 and other current engines.

This announcement confirms to me that NX is indeed portable and home console, because i dont see SE announcing DQX/XI this soon for the system if it was just a WiiU follow up.

I could see that happen - 3DS version maybe earlier in the year and the console version for the holiday season.

random25

The 3DS version already looks so far ahead in development when compared to the PS4, and of course HD development can really take more time. Unless SE intentionally holds the 3DS version for simultaneous release, that is the likely scenario.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Huh, how many DQ games did they actually announce tonight if we include new versions. 12?

3DS version was way further ahead in development, so I'd expect it to come out first. PS4 version might miss the anniversary unless they really develop it quickly.

Alrus

Did they give a release date for DQMJ3 by the way? I'm interested to see how far away from DQXI it'll release.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's what I'm thinking as well.

H1 - 3DS version
H2 - PS4/NX version

At this point, with SE confirming the NX platform for DQXI, 2016 is a lock for the console.

Fisico

That would be smart of SE right? Even more double dipping. I wonder if DQ11 can become the best selling DQ in Japan (has to beat the hefty number of 4.5 million).

If you look at Smash Bros sales I think with both SKU should definitely cross the 4.5M mark.

By the way I see everyone mentionning DQXI on NX, but did they specifically said which DQXI?

Alrus

Yeah the NX version announcement makes me happy because it means Nintendo will probably reveal it soon-ish.

Also a scattered release is the way to go imo. More chance for double dippers. It worked fine for smaller games like the original Project Diva F and big release like Brawl.

Soon after Builders.

That's a bit vague... Oh well, we'll know soon enough.

NX is going to be a port festival at launch.

Monster Hunter X/Stories, Dragon Quest X/XI, Yo-kai Watch 3, Zelda...

Not sure if that's a good thing.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm stunned by the NX announcements, honeslty. yes, it could be a "normal" handheld and receive the 3DS enanched version of both DQX and DQXI, but still...it seems a very good way to start your console (especially if handheld, actually) in Japan, isn't it?
I wonder if that Nintendo meeting could deliver some surprise...

Obviously is a good thing. We are talking about huge brands here, that usually skip console launches waiting for massive install bases. Having them on board from the beginning could clearly communicate the message that those brands will not be in the future, but are from the beginning, on that platform.
of course there should be also exclusive contents, but having "ports" doens't preclude to have also brand new contents aside.
If we look back the 3DS launched with a port, but from Street Fighter IV. If DQ substitute SF as "launch port" I'd say that is a good thing for the console itself.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I am legit shook Square Enix is the first company to announce games for NX, and we're, what, 5-6 months before its pre-E3 unveiling? When did that ever happen?

P.S. I suppose that, from now on, we'll see the blog under a different light, don't we?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well it looks like he guessed right.

I figured something was up as well. Not the NX stuff, but that DQ XI would be a 3DS game.

My final decision before this conference was PS3DS, with a PS4 version to come later. I was wrong about part of it!

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
yes, the Blog was at least partially right. as Verendus was, on his part. everybody wins, or gets trolled.

Now, look at the meeting waiting for at least a sentence about NX DQ support.

For the Japanese market, despite the huge graphical difference I'd say that today's DQ announcement follow my previous recap of "very solid continous announcements for 3DS" despite it being the oldest Hw on the market. 2015/16 seem ready to put out tons of significant softwres (even if the HW is probably almost saturated, so I'm not expecting a significant change of weekly peace).

The absence of PS3/Vita versions somehow decrease the impact many of us was expecting to the PS environment (especially for Vita) by a possible DQXI announcement, but confirm the effort SE is putting on the PS4, probably looking for a significant part of PS4 western success pie. They are putting everything they have on it, basically.

In terms of third party and specifically SE ongoing supoprt for 3DS, in terms of possible "bridge" into NX, I'd say that the early confirmation of both DQX and XI for NX speak for themsleves.

I didn't expect PS4/3DS because it would SE making a next gen DQ just on PS4. PS3/PS3/3DS would of made more sense but I'm more than happy considering how good the PS4 version looks. The way they handled the 3DS version was great as well.

Also does anyone know if DQH PS3 was localised in the rest of Asia. Iirc in the event DQH sold 200k in the rest of Asia.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Good games and 3rd Party support....who would want that ;-)

Of course its a good thing - any kind of content is important and good even if it isnt exclusive at least the owners have something to choose from. NX is screwed if it another, max 1 month a game plattform....they need to get every game possible, let the customer decide once the games are on the plattform.

Also having these games on NX make it easier for current owner to upgrade, WiiU/3DS owners ditching old systems for NX is more likely to happen if you dont miss out on old stuff.

Spiegel

NX just got a lot more interesting. Can't wait for the reveal.

Hoping for a handheld with PSV++ power that can support modern engines and get PS4 ports.

Takao

Banned
DQXI had me all over the place. I was pretty much expecting another PS3/PS4 (+/- PSV) game to go along with Heroes and Builders. Turns out my initial guess of a 3DS game that got ported around was closer, though still off the mark.

Redhood

NX just got a lot more interesting. Can't wait for the reveal.

Hoping for a handheld with PSV++ power that can support modern engines and get PS4 ports.

I hope so. Then we have nintendo on the other end who is obviously going to fuck up something basic. 640X480 resolution anyone?

I didn't expect PS4/3DS because it would SE making a next gen DQ just on PS4. PS3/PS3/3DS would of made more sense but I'm more than happy considering how good the PS4 version looks. The way they handled the 3DS version was great as well.

Also does anyone know if DQH PS3 was localised in the rest of Asia. Iirc in the event DQH sold 200k in the rest of Asia.

I think it was localized in Chinese & Korean... need to double check

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DQXI had me all over the place. I was pretty much expecting another PS3/PS4 (+/- PSV) game to go along with Heroes and Builders. Turns out my initial guess of a 3DS game that got ported around was closer, though still off the mark.

They wouldn't have bothered with VII and VIII for 3DS if they weren't going to put XI on it. It's very likely that they started that one first and decided on this interesting all in approach for PS4 afterwards.

So, for the NX

is the following a good lineup?

1. Spla2n
2. DQ X/XI Deluxe Combo

?

Yeah, especially if they also have a Zelda dual-launch. All their 3 territories will be satisfied with that. It might also give Splatoon a breakthrough, and help it become a truly huge franchise, in the vein of Animal Crossing, Smash, etc.

test_account

XP-39C²
So Dragon Quest 11 can be the highest selling game in the franchise. Its also the first "multiplatform" game if i'm not mistaken (not counting later ports or remakes).

b-b-but it was supposed to save the vita
I cant recall seeing anyone making such claim. I did see people thinking that it would sell very well though, but that can be said about many games without them necessarily saving anything.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So Dragon Quest 11 can be the highest selling game in the franchise. Its also the first "multiplatform" game if i'm not mistaken (not counting later ports or remakes).

I cant recall seeing anyone making such claim. I did see people thinking that it would sell very well though, but that can be said about many games without them necessarily saving anything.

First two games released on MSX and Famicom. The first game was in 86 on both platforms, the second was on Famicom a year earlier.

SE makes too much sense nowadays. 3DS version for massive japanese sales. PS4 version for japanese douple dippers and for the rest of the world (west and rest of asia). Will predict that this will be highest selling DQ game.

Also, this confirms another million (definitely multimillion) seller for the 3DS.

So far, the million sellers have been:

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon X/Y
Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSaphire
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII
Yokai Watch Busters (just a formality at this point)

Games that will almost certainly sell a million:

Dragon Quest XI
Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:
Dragon Quest VIII (doubt this will because of it also being available on mobile)

Anything else that I missed that has or has the potential to sell that much?

mao2

That would be smart of SE right? Even more double dipping. I wonder if DQ11 can become the best selling DQ in Japan (has to beat the hefty number of 4.5 million).
Even if they're released simultaneously, they look different enough to warrant double-dipping IMO.

sörine

Banned
Also, this confirms another million (definitely multimillion) seller for the 3DS.

Pokemon X/Y
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest XI
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:
Dragon Quest VIII (doubt this will because of it also being available on mobile)

You missed a lot of Monster Hunter.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;173200146 said:
DQX was also only 6 months apart on Wii & Wii U, with a multiplatfprm reveal.
True. I always think of DQX as something else initially, but it is a mainline title like FF10 and FF14 (which also were multiplatform), so it also counts, indeed.

Pokemon X/Y
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3D Land
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Yokai Watch
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 2.5
Dragon Quest VII

Dragon Quest XI
Yokai Watch 3

Maybe:

All the Monster Hunters!

wrowa

It kind of feels like cheating to group both XI titles together. Despite (apparently) following the same story, they just seem to be so vastly different that calling it the same game might be stretching it a bit.

It's going to be very interesting to see what effect this will have on sales, though. A huge amount of double dippers? Or it will it just split the audience, despite the differences? Might people even feel like the 3DS version is just a watered-down version, making it feel less attractive even to people who don't own a PS4 as a result?

Top Bottom