• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 33, 2014 (Aug 11 - Aug 17)

Opiate

Uh, what? Sony isn't willing to extend the same sweetheart deals it gives to indies to Japanese developers to get it going over there?

When single digit person teams can release games on the platform, I'm guessing development cost isn't the issue. Publishing physical games and other costs seem much more likely.

I think you're confusing technical limitations with economic ones. As an example: technically, you could release a game that looked like a PS1 game on the PS3; economically speaking, this was not a wise decision, and so virtually no one did it. The PS3 was marketed as a technical juggernaut, and thus the consumers it attracted were highly concerned with the production value the games presented. Games which did not meet these standards would be harshly received by consumers, and thus producers made very few games which met that description.

Similarly, on the PS4, you can technically make a game with 1 person, yes. And the indie scene does exist there. But on a broad scale, if you want to make a game with 1 person, the PC or iOS is a much better bet, because the userbase is vastly larger and less concerned with production value; if you want to make a game with 10-40 people, then likely the 3DS is a better option because it's a much more popular platform that has the advantage of portability and has virtually zero downside, because you're not liking to push maxing-out-the-PS4-level graphics with a team that size anyway.

The only teams which consistently have an economic incentive to make games on the new consoles first or exclusively would be huge teams with massive budgets. In those cases, the home consoles are densely populated with consumers who enjoy those types of games, and they are capable of handling games with 100M+ budgets. If you're making games with 100k budget, put it on iOS. If you're making it with a 10M budget, put it on 3DS (or even iOS, too).

The problem is that very few of these 100M+ budget teams exist in Japan.

Cygnus X-1

e7TEzWs.gif

ouch

Yes, but WWHD came out when Wii U was selling ~5000k a week, right? After Mario Kart 8, people became much more aware of the existence of the system in Japan, comparatively.

Eolz

Yeah, Devil's Third looks like a 2015 title to me. Basically here for filling some place in their schedule.

At least Itagaki and Nintendo seem to be in a good relationship, and I really think the game has potential (especially the multiplayer).

Since we're talking about how "big" the Musou franchise was "back in the day" compared to now... how about these numbers?

I'm using Famitsu numbers from Garaph for this comparison because it's easier to pull the data:

2005 - Dynasty Warriors 5 (PS2) - 560,733 FW / 917,985 LTD
2006 - Samurai Warriors 2 (PS2) - 301,044 FW / 562,320 LTD
2007 - Dynasty Warriors Gundam (PS3) - 171,032 FW / 312,674 LTD

vs

2012 - One Piece Pirate Warriors (PS3) - 627,214 FW / 825,860 LTD
2013 - One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3) - 269,035 FW / 406,324 LTD
2014 - Hyrule Warriors (WiiU) - 78,773 FW / ????? LTD

Opne Piece Musou 2 was also on Vita, so the actual numbers are higher

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
For posterity's sake, here's the thread I made chronicling the reasons I think Capcom's Panta Rhei engine may be in bad in shape: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=878867

Now, I think most of the lack of console games is caused by them vastly lowering the number of games they're even making for them, but for the dead silence even on titles announced 1.5 years ago, this might explain part of that.

12./11. [PS3] Grand Theft Auto V (Bargain Edition) <ACT> (Rockstar Games) {2014.06.26} (¥5.389) - 6.286 / 45.283 (+18%)
Damn. Maybe PS3 version alone will reach a million. With PS4 remaster it will happen surely. I wonder what was the last game based on western ip that sold a million in Japan? Crash Bandicoot 3 ?

Darius

Banned
According to Jump, Final Fantasy Explorer (3DS) will launch December 18.

Jump also shares the following details:

- Time Mage can use support magic to help allies
- Ninjas use speed to their advantage
- New summons in Jump
- Ramuh: uses electric attacks and teleporting abilities to give players a hard time
- Fenrir: its speed is second to none, and it will use water-based magic to damage players
- &#8220;Trance&#8221; system: powerful ability that lets you do things like temporarily pull off special attacks without using AP or temporarily gain increased parameters

France has a population of about 66 million.

The US has a population of 314 million.

Predicting 200K in France is like predicting a million in the US.

I disagree with Mlatador's post but France used to be called little Japan regarding video games so making an US prediction based on French sales (even when it's a supposition) is not correct imo (systems penetration in the country, attach rates, genres that sold the most etc.).

But yeah 200k in France is clearly coming out of nowhere I think ?!? I'm ok with saying that France may be the country in which this game sales the most though (in Europe).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Chû Totoro;126289328 said:
I disagree with Mlatador's post but France used to be called little Japan regarding video games so making an US prediction based on French sales (even when it's a supposition) is not correct imo (systems penetration in the country, attach rates, genres that sold the most etc.).

But yeah 200k in France is clearly coming out of nowhere I think ?!? I'm ok with saying that France may be the country in which this game sales the most though (in Europe).

It's not meant to be a direct comparison. It's meant to show the scale of penetration in a sense people can conceive relative to NPD.

Consider how many games actually get over a million in NPD sales. That's what that bar is like in France relative to the number of people who live there.

sörine;126266726 said:
Hyrule Warriors has the best debut of any Musou yet this generation by far.

Famitsu

Samurai Warriors Chronicles (3DS) 43,044
Samurai Warriors Chronicles 2nd (3DS) 35,806
Dynasty Warriors VS (3DS) 15,607

One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PSV) 54,509
Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn (PSV) 44,889
Samuari Warriors 4 (PSV) 43,545
Dynasty Warriors Next (PSV) 32,044
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (PSV) 24,825
Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (PSV) 11,627

Hyrule Warriors (WiiU) 78,773
Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 (WiiU) 6,214
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (WiiU) 6,184

Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition (PS4) 13,576
Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate (PS4) 7,129
This post is ridiculous and you know it, Handheld versions are a silly comparison to make in the first place, and no Xtreme Legends expansion has sold well this generation. If you compare it to literally any Musou game for the PS3, even from before the system turned things around, this game performed worse. The first major Musou game for PS3 was Gundam and that did either above or nearly 100k more than this depending on the tracker on a userbase that was below 800k users total at the time. The first Dynasty Warriors on the system did even better as well, even with a 360 version present eating into the sales. I don't know whether or not this result is acceptable based on expectations, but it is completely incorrect to say that this is a high mark or even a good one for the series as a whole. Whether or not it finds a home as large as it did on the PS4 as it did on the PS3 is yet to be seen, but it will almost have a larger first week than this.

Now this is a comparison.

Best title would be the first GM title to compare to since PS3 install base was much bigger in the later ones.

PS3 install base (Gundam Musou) : 747k
Gundam Musou (PS3) 170,725

WiiU install base (HW) : 1890k
Zelda Musou (WiiU) 78,773

Pretty fair comparison. HW, pretty weak launch

Yagami_Sama

Yo-kai 1 still selling well, quite impressive.
Zelda Musou did a good start after all. I was worried that it would sell less than 30k in the first week, I hope that the game keep on selling well for a while,
similar to Mario Kart 8, which did another great week.

And for Wii U, another good week, selling "way" better than the PS4. I really wish that the Wii U keep on selling like that, but it is quite a dream.

I also, thought that Ultra Street Fighter 4 would had better sales,as well as Senran Kagura 2.

L Thammy

I don't think that the decline of the Musou series should be downplayed because it's split into multiple series now. The original Samurai Warriors on PS2 sold over a million; I find it hard to believe that it took a chunk out the original series' fanbase. I think the popularity of the franchise was damaged by the move to PS3, the introduction of a notable competitor (Sengoku Basara), and perhaps simply the perception of stagnation. I think the anime series have helped to alleviate those issues, but the popularity of Koei's Musou brand in and of itself has declined.

Cygnus X-1

That's not really true. I think you're completely misremembering the context. From 2006 to 2014, the only Musou which sold "upwards of 700-800k" was One Piece Musou which sold over 800k in 2012. The only one. Before that you have to go all the way back to the PS2 in 2005 to find a Musou which sold over 900k. The actual average sales of mainline Musou when Gundam Musou launched was more like 400k.

You know, back to the PS2 era there were so many games of so many brands that were able to sell close or past 1 million in Japan. The console itself was something else - a bit like the DS for the handhelds or the NES for the home systems.

It's not meant to be a direct comparison. It's meant to show the scale of penetration in a sense people can conceive relative to NPD.

Consider how many games actually get over a million in NPD sales. That's what that bar is like in France relative to the number of people who live there.

Oh ok, I didn't get your post exactly that way but yeah 200k seems to be impossible. I can't disagree with you on this :)
__

Back on other numbers I'm really impressed by YW 2 numbers. This game seems unstoppable.

I watch an episode of the anime and it's quite good but I'm not sure I could tell what is the demographic behind all these sales.
I say this because seing the rise in 3DS sales I don't know if it'll bump a little Q4 sales : is there a sort of consensus for Sm4sh sales 1st week? I don't know what to expect for a first on handheld. Of course it'll sell a lot but to what point?

L Thammy

Chû Totoro;126291314 said:
I watch an episode of the anime and it's quite good but I'm not sure I could tell what is the demographic behind all these sales.

I've heard that it appeals to the older generation due to a lot of references to the Showa era (1926-1989). I'm sure it appeals to children as well.

Opiate

Or to be more precise, Japanese made games. The majority of PS4 games are all coming from western studios.

There are simply going to be fewer and fewer Japanese made games on consoles over time. It isn't just the rise of iOS; it's that development costs continue to increase. Given that Japanese tastes are often particular, it becomes increasingly difficult to support a console level budget on a single country audience.

After reading all the positive and negative responses to the Musou comparison post for this generation, it's amazing how these two little words can illicit such a response when it's apparent the posters intentions when using those two little words.

DrWong

HW won't do 200K in France even if it should do great I think and, anecdotally, August Amazon FR bestsellers shows it with the special edition being #4 (std is #35), one rank better than the std Destiny PS4 sku (and MK8 WIU bundle is still the better selling console sku for its third month in a raw).

"Exception culturelle" they say... :p

L Thammy

At least Itagaki and Nintendo seem to be in a good relationship, and I really think the game has potential (especially the multiplayer).

This isn't really a sales comment, but I think that Devil's Third communicates its appeal very poorly. It's being sold as a shooter, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting about the shooting, as opposed to the various melee attack methods. There's a heavy influence of Japanese folklore and real-world scientific concerns, but that isn't immediately obvious when you look at the Vin Diesel lookalike protagonist.

This isn't really a sales comment, but I think that Devil's Third communicates its appeal very poorly. It's being sold as a shooter, but there doesn't seem to be anything interesting about the shooting, as opposed to the various melee attack methods. There's a heavy influence of Japanese folklore and real-world scientific concerns, but that isn't immediately obvious when you look at the Vin Diesel lookalike protagonist.

Personally I consider the protagonist to be pretty cool, it's like they've gone for a deliberate stereotypical cliche, fits well with some of the other more irreverent parts of the game

Alrus

Pretty fair comparison. HW, pretty weak launch

Heh if you have a crossover with a massively successful anime franchise vs a crossover with a struggling console franchise. Nintendo's main audience also doesn't really buy Musou games as much as the usual Sony audience.

Not saying HW's opening is great, it's not. It's merely okay relative to already lowered expectation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think someone could be interested in seeing how an originally-console only title is doing on mobile in the "episodic" form (i.e. beginning being free, then paying for each episode or for all of them).

How Ace Attorney 5 has been doing on iOS so far

Download Ranks

It has to be said that it's counted as a free download, since the first chapter is free. Still, it had a good start, right in top 20, and it peaked at 10th on August 10th. Since then, it started going down. Its decrease has been steady but not that quick for the first week. But since August 14th, the title started going down much faster. Right now, it's around the 150th placement

Grossing Ranks

Revenue-wise, trends have been different. It started badly, but it had a quick increase, reaching 31st as highest placement on August 10th ( and 11th). Since then, it declined, but at a slow pace compared to what happened in the download charts during its second week. Only in the last 24 hours it showed a quicker decrease, going from 61st to 77th.

So...your opinions on its performance so far?

orochi91

XB1 will probably outsell the PS4 when it hits the market. Didn't XB1 manage
to get a hold of a number of exclusives and visual novels for the Japanese launch?

Sony has really dropped the ball.

Lucumo

It's just so expensive to make games for. The costs are becoming increasingly prohibitive unless you have a global brand, and most "global brands" are not very popular in japan.

Yep, that's why Japan should just go back to making PS2 games <3

orochi91

I feel that folks are underestimating the extent to which MS will go to win marketshare.
They're got the money and desperation to get shit done. I can easily see full and timed
exclusives coming to the XB1 from Japanese devs since they're hurting for cash/funding.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sega better be preparing Puyo Puyo Tetris for a western release because the Xbox One version is going to sell 3 copies in Japan while the PS4 one does 15.

Real talk, Puyo Puyo Tetris PS4/XB1 ports are probably the best games on those systems... that game is fucking awesome.

DNAbro

I feel that folks are underestimating the extent to which MS will go to win marketshare.
They're got the money and desperation to get shit done. I can easily see full and timed
exclusives coming to the XB1 from Japanese devs since they're hurting for cash/funding.

They tried that last gen and failed. Microsoft should focus on winning the west first.

to get a hold of a number of exclusives and visual novels for the Japanese launch?

Yeah that 5pb visual novel is going to sell a lot of XB1's........lol

The only question about the XB1 launch is how much of a bomb it will be.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Since we're talking about how "big" the Musou franchise was "back in the day" compared to now... how about these numbers?

I'm using Famitsu numbers from Garaph for this comparison because it's easier to pull the data:

2005 - Dynasty Warriors 5 (PS2) - 560,733 FW / 917,985 LTD
2006 - Samurai Warriors 2 (PS2) - 301,044 FW / 562,320 LTD
2007 - Dynasty Warriors Gundam (PS3) - 171,032 FW / 312,674 LTD

vs

2012 - One Piece Pirate Warriors (PS3) - 627,214 FW / 825,860 LTD
2013 - One Piece Pirate Warriors 2 (PS3) - 269,035 FW / 406,324 LTD
2014 - Hyrule Warriors (WiiU) - 78,773 FW / ????? LTD

Using One Piece for this comparison doesn't sound very fair. If you use numbered entries things are different. Gundam Musou was the first big crossover of its time coming from huge PS2 sellers starting from DW2 and it failed. When Gundam Musou 2 came out at PS2 too it doubled its sales.

edit: 2007 also had this: That's a Musou title, isn't it?
[PS2] Warriors Orochi (Koei) {2007.03.21} - 649.570

...third time's a charm?

Doubt it.

Xenus

I honestly wonder if the lack of Backwards compatibilty hurt them badly in Japan. If people could of bought one and played all their PS3 games on it while waiting for the PS4 games to come out I have to feel it would be selling more than a box they can play practically nothing with their tastes on.

Similarly, on the PS4, you can technically make a game with 1 person, yes. And the indie scene does exist there. But on a broad scale, if you want to make a game with 1 person, the PC or iOS is a much better bet, because the userbase is vastly larger and less concerned with production value...
Yes, though they're also less concerned with paying you very much for your effort. And less derisively, it's increasingly hard for them to even notice that a game has released. It takes a very large amount of luck to truly succeed with a one-man game. But I do agree, PC and mobile likely are the only places where such a small project has even a chance of catching fire.

...if you want to make a game with 10-40 people, then likely the 3DS is a better option because it's a much more popular platform that has the advantage of portability and has virtually zero downside....
One downside is the costs of retail release, which are substantial. For digital, I'm not actually sure how the e-shop compares to app stores, Steam, or XBL/PSN. My impression, though, is that it's less integrated and successful.

The only teams which consistently have an economic incentive to make games on the new consoles first or exclusively would be huge teams with massive budgets.
In a generalized sense this is untrue. Because of assistance or subsidies from platform holders, and the vastly increased discoverability versus mobile, it can be profitable for small teams to come first to consoles. That's why Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have all got such deals with indies upcoming. (Though tacking on PC is a popular approach.)

Further, your statement applies even more strongly to PS2 than PS4. If that market was healthy even without any place for tiny dev teams, then why should we call the expanded console opportunities for them now unhealthy?

Road

If we pretend Knack doesn't exist (as did every human being), the first two PS4 bundles in Japan are from western games: FIFA 14 and Destiny.

In contrast, the first two PS3 bundles were Gundam Musou and Minna no Golf 5. Throughout its entire life, I think these are all the western games that were packed with it: Little Big Planet (2008).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Everything for Gundam Musou until 2013

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (Bandai Namco Games) {2007.03.01} - 306.114
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam International (Bandai Namco Games) {2007.12.27} - 9.378
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Special (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.02.28} - 277.182
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.10.23} - 13.415
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Special (PlayStation 2 the Best) (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.10.23} - 25.901

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.18} - 328.167
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.18} - 238.088
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Bandai Namco Games) {2008.12.18} - 64.090
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Gundam 30th Anniversary Collection) (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.12.17} - 15.998
[PS2] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (Gundam 30th Anniversary Collection) (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.12.17} - 10.177
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.06.03} - 7.923

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.12.16} - 382.355
[360] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (Bandai Namco Games) {2010.12.16} - 21.459
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 3 (PlayStation 3 the Best) (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.06.28} - 3.632

[PS3] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} - 150.787
[PSV] Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.12.19} - 61.578

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If we pretend Knack doesn't exist (as did every human being), the first two PS4 bundles in Japan are from western games: FIFA 14 and Destiny.

In contrast, the first two PS3 bundles were Gundam Musou and Minna no Golf 5. Throughout its entire life, I think these are all the western games that were packed with it: Little Big Planet (2008).

Well, better than doing a bundle with Omega Quintet, I guess. :p

At least, Japan's today sees two releases for the console. And one of them is The Last of Us: Remastered...quite high on Amazon but on Comgnet was still out of top 20 (so, at max 16pt). Wondering how it could sell. Not expecting anything over 40,000, though, and that's an optimistic scenario, IMHO.

jakncoke

Banned

lol it took 360 from Dec 10 2005 till July 28th 2008 to reach where PS4 is at right now. Not sure why you think things would be somehow different which whats currently announced.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [+ Playstation 3 Beginner's Pack 20GB] <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2007.07.26} (¥51.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds [+ Playstation 3 Beginner's Pack 60GB] <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2007.07.26} (¥61.980)
[PS3] Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War [with PlayStation 3 60GB] <SLG> (Koei) {2007.08.30} (¥64.980)
[PS3] Dynasty Warriors 6 [with Playstation 3 40GB] <ACT> (Koei) {2007.11.11} (¥49.980)
[PS3] Devil May Cry 4 [Premium BD Pack PlayStation 3 40 GB Clear Black] <ACT> (Capcom) {2008.01.31} (¥47.800)
[PS3] Devil May Cry 4 [Premium BD Pack PlayStation 3 40 GB Ceramic White] <ACT> (Capcom) {2008.01.31} (¥47.800)
[PS3] Yakuza: Kenzan! [PlayStation 3 Pack] <ADV> (Sega) {2008.03.06} (¥47.040)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [Premium Pack Steel] <ADV> (Konami) {2008.06.12} (¥49.800)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [Welcome Box with Dual Shock 3 Ceramic White] <ADV> (Konami) {2008.06.12} (¥49.800)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [Welcome Box with Dual Shock 3 Clear Black] <ADV> (Konami) {2008.06.12} (¥49.800)
[PS3] Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots [Welcome Box with Dual Shock 3 Satin Silver] <ADV> (Konami) {2008.06.12} (¥51.800)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet [Dream Box PlayStation 3 Clear Black] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2008.10.30} (¥44.980)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet [Dream Box PlayStation 3 Satin Silver] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2008.10.30} (¥44.980)
[PS3] LittleBigPlanet [Dream Box PlayStation 3 Ceramic White] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2008.10.30} (¥44.980)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2009 [Winning Eleven × UEFA Champions League Anniversary Box] <SPT> (Konami) {2008.11.27} (¥46.980)
[PS3] Yakuza 3 [Rising Dragon Pack] <ADV> (Sega) {2009.02.26} (¥45.980)
[PS3] Resident Evil 5 [Premium Limited Box] <ADV> (Capcom) {2009.03.05} (¥48.980)
[PS3] Mobile Suit Gundam: Battlefield Record U.C. 0081 [Gundam 30th Anniversary Box] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2009.09.03} (¥38.359)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2010 [Winning Eleven 2010 Premium Pack] <SPT> (Konami) {2009.11.05} (¥34.800)
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII [PlayStation 3 Final Fantasy XIII Lighting Edition] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2009.12.17} (¥41.600)
[PS3] World Soccer Winning Eleven 2011 [Winning Eleven 2011 Value Pack] <SPT> (Konami) {2010.10.28} (¥39.980)
[PS3] Gran Turismo 5 [PlayStation 3 Racing Pack] <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2010.11.25} (¥35.980)
[PS3] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow [Value Pack] <ACT> (Konami) {2010.12.16} (¥37.980)
[PS3] Sports Champions - Move Value Pack [with PlayStation 3] <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2010.12.16} (¥36.980)
[PS3] Tales of Xillia [PlayStation 3 X Edition] <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2011.09.08} (¥37.980)
[PS3] Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch [PlayStation 3 160GB Ni no Kuni Magical Edition] <RPG> (Level 5) {2011.11.17} (¥33.780)
[PS3] Final Fantasy XIII-2 [PlayStation 3 Final Fantasy XIII-2 Lighting Edition Ver.2] <RPG> (Square Enix) {2011.12.15} (¥37.960)
[PS3] One Piece: Pirate Warriors [PlayStation 3 Gold Edition] <ACT> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.03.01} (¥38.170)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational [PlayStation 3 250GB Classic White Starter Pack Bundle] <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.11.22} (¥25.980)
[PS3] Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational [PlayStation 3 250GB Charcoal Black Starter Pack Bundle] <SPT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2012.11.22} (¥25.980)
[PS3] 2nd Super Robot Wars OG [Complete BD Box] <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.11.29} (¥41.790)
[PS3] Yakuza 5 [PlayStation 3 Yakuza 5 Emblem Edition] <ADV> (Sega) {2012.12.06} (¥37.800)
[PS3] Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 [PlayStation 3 Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 Legend Edition] <ACT> (Koei Tecmo) {2012.12.20} (¥33.170)
[PS3] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance [Kill Ablative Package] <ACT> (Konami) {2013.02.21} (¥31.960)
[PS3] Gran Turismo 6 [PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Gran Turismo 6 Bundle Charcoal Black <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} (¥25.980)
[PS3] Gran Turismo 6 [PlayStation 3 Starter Pack Gran Turismo 6 Bundle Classic White] <RCE> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.05} (¥25.980)
[PS3] Puppeteer [Playstation 3 Puppeteer Pack] <ACT> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2013.12.12} (¥24.980)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't know what were the expectations back then but if Gundam Musou was considered a failure when compared to Musou titles on PS2, wouldn't that make Zelda Musou a failure too when compared to Musou titles on Wii/PS3?

I doubt expectations for Hyrule warriors in Japan were nowhere close to Gundam Musou. No one expected Hyrule Warriors to save Musou or Zelda brand. Koei had to port the second to PS2 a few months later to regain some of the lost sales and went multiplatform from the beginning with Gundam Musou 2.

And I still don't see how Gundam + Musou then is comparable to Zelda + Musou today looking at sales and appeal among customers.

Top Bottom