• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

LordKano

With kirby 3ds coming out in November (imho) and with the e3 demo being way behind the Yoshi one I would say that Yoshi will actually be a H1 Switch game but I wouldn't be surprised by Kirby being a Q3 or Q4 switch game next year

I'd be pretty surprised if both games aren't Q1, but it's certainly a possibility that they just showed them pretty early. They do fit the kind of "small" games to launch in early 2018.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'd be pretty surprised if both games aren't Q1, but it's certainly a possibility that they just showed them pretty early. They do fit the kind of "small" games to launch in early 2018.

I think we tend to underestimate kirby at least compared to what Nintendo thinks about the franchise

Delio

I honestly never count Kirby as a small game but i guess i understand why.

I expect both Yoshi and Kirby to be in the first half of 2018. The last few Kirby games (Triple Deluxe, Rainbow Curse, Planet Robobot) released in the first half of the year. Yoshi's New Island and Woolly World did as well (well, everywhere except NA for the latter, but I expect these games to be simultaneous worldwide releases).

Both games just a few months apart would be pretty bad timing. Kirby and Yoshi are the two "easy 2D platformer"-series that Nintendo has. An over reliance on 2D platformers was a common criticism leveled at the Wii U.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon pre-orders also have to open yet.
Mario Odyssey preorders will likely open the day after direct but since this will be basically a Switch direct and Pokemon is on a different level maybe Nintendo will wait a little more for Ultra Sun / Moon. But the reveal of that date can be there.

Both games just a few months apart would be pretty bad timing. Kirby and Yoshi are the two "easy 2D platformer"-series that Nintendo has. An over reliance on 2D platformers was a common criticism leveled at the Wii U.

Yoshi in January/February and Kirby in May/June wouldn't be harmful imo. As long as there are games of different genres in between them.

Remember, Nintendo hasn't released any 2D platformers on the Switch so far, so I don't think people would complain about these.

Since the release of Yoshi Touch & Go, Yoshi games have always been released in Q1 in Japan, with the exception of Yoshi's Woolly World, which released in July. For the last decade, Yoshi games tend to release in the first half of the year worldwide - and it seems like the focus is on Early Spring (March).

Regarding Kirby, since Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy, the main platformer games always released in March in Japan. During the Wii/DS generation, the release slot changed to October, but this changed back to January/April in the last couple of years on 3DS and Wii U.

An interesting detail is that in the last couple of years, when Kirby and Yoshi games released in the same year (2014, 2015), the Kirby game was released in January in Japan, while the Yoshi game was turned into a July release in Japan. Internationally, the releases of games in both series were actually pretty close to each other - Yoshi's New Island in March 2014 and Kirby Triple Deluxe in May 2014; Kirby and the Rainbow Curse in February 2015 and Yoshi's Woolly World in June 2015.

My guess is Kirby first (Q1 2018) and Yoshi later (Summer 2018).

Ōkami

1. [PS4] Destiny 2 - 73
  2. [PS4] Everybody's Golf - 38
  3. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 36
  4. [SWI] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch - 34
  5. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 18
  6. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers - 16
  7. [SWi] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12
  8. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! - 10
  9. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! - 10
  10. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 9
  11. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (Limited Edition) - 9
  12. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 9
  13. [SWi] Splatoon 2 - 8
  14. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (Limited Edition) - 7
  15. [SW] Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver. - 7
  16. [3DS] Boku no Hero Academia: Battle for All - 7
  17. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 7
  18. [PSV] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows - 6
  19. [PSV] Iwaihime: Matsuri - 6
  20. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 6
Preorders
[PS4] Gran Turismo Sport - 104
[PS4] Sen no Kiseki 3 - 63
[PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 - 29
[PS4] Call of Duty: WWII - 25
[SWI] Pokken Tournament - 24
[3DS] Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux - 22
[PS4] The Evil Within 2 - 22
[PS4] Ark: Survival Evolved - 22
[PS4] Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Future Tone DX - 18
[SWI] Fire Emblem Warriors - 15
[PS4] .hack//G.U. Last Recode - 14
[PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - 13
[PS4] Star Wars: Battlefront 2 - 12
[PS4] City Shrouded in Shadow - 11
[PS4] Yakuza Kiwami 2 - 10
[PS4] Assassin's Creed: Origins - 9

Ōkami;248514173 said:
Preorders

Those preorders could use a one-up.

ggx2ac

Only three more weeks until the end of September.

For Nintendo's next quarterly results, they'd need to have shipped at least 2 million Switch units to still track ahead of the 3DS worldwide. (Launch aligned)

That seems doable since Switch in Japan might get close to 800k units sold (Going off of Media Create and estimating for the rest of the quarter)

Worldwide Switch hardware sales could do way better than 2 million for the quarter assuming shortages haven't been as harsh as last quarter and that Switch hasn't been underperforming in too many places.

Fukuzatsu

Ōkami;248514173 said:
Preorders

Well that is a lot of PS4 games. Is it because stuff like Mario Odyssey isn't available for pre-order, or what?

Vena

Well that is a lot of PS4 games. Is it because stuff like Mario Odyssey isn't available for pre-order, or what?

Nothing to come for the rest of the year from Nintendo has a pre-order open or even set (for many) yet. That's why we're discussing an inevitable Direct.

The lack of Pokemon at the top crushing everything should tip you off.

Ōkami;248514173 said:
  1. [PS4] Destiny 2 - 73
  2. [PS4] Everybody's Golf - 38
  3. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 36
  4. [SWI] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch - 34
  5. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 - 18
  6. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers - 16
  7. [SWi] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 12
  8. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! - 10
  9. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! - 10
  10. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition - 9
  11. [PS4] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (Limited Edition) - 9
  12. [3DS] Hey! Pikmin - 9
  13. [SWi] Splatoon 2 - 8
  14. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! (Limited Edition) - 7
  15. [SW] Monster Hunter XX: Nintendo Switch Ver. - 7
  16. [3DS] Boku no Hero Academia: Battle for All - 7
  17. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch 3: Sukiyaki - 7
  18. [PSV] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows - 6
  19. [PSV] Iwaihime: Matsuri - 6
  20. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 6
Preorders

well now i am feeling the 30k copies sold

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 36 2017

01./00. [PS4] Destiny 2 <ACT> (Sony Interactive Entertainment)
02./03. [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
03./00. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 for Nintendo Switch <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games)
04./03. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
05./02. [NSW] Monster Hunter Double Cross: Nintendo Switch Ver. <ACT> (Capcom)
06./06. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
07./04. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 <RPG> (Atlus)
08./08. [3DS] The Snack World: TreJarers <RPG> (Level 5)
09./09. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)*
10./10. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
11./07. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom)
12./00. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! <STG> (5pb.)
13./05. [PS4] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)
14./16. [PS4] Hitman: The Complete First Season <ADV> (Square Enix)
15./15. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./18. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
17./17. [3DS] Great Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 2 - Naruhod&#333; Ry&#363;nosuke no Kakugo <ADV> (Capcom)
18./23. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
19./15. [3DS] Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and The Millionaire's Conspiracy <ADV> (Level 5)
20./11. [PSV] Nights of Azure 2: Bride of the New Moon <RPG> (Koei Tecmo)

___

*Bundles not included

horuhe

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

01./02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Switch Splatoon 2 Set) <BUN> (Nintendo)
02./01. [PS4] Everybody's Golf <SPT> (Sony Interactive)
03./05. [PS4] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
04./00. [PS4] Destiny 2 <ACT> (Sony Interactive)
05./04. [3DS] Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age <RPG> (Square Enix)
06./10. [3DS] The Snack World <RPG> (Level 5)
07./11. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)
08./06. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo)
09./13. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf - Welcome amiibo <ETC> (Nintendo)
10./00. [NSW] Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 <FTG> (Bandai Namco)
11./14. [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild <ADV> (Nintendo)
12./09. [PS4] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom)
13./03. [3DS] Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 <RPG> (Atlus)
14./12. [NSW] ARMS <FTG> (Nintendo)
15./21. [PS4] Dragon Quest X: All in One Package <RPG> (Square Enix)
16./00. [PS4] WarTech: Senko no Rondo 2 <ACT> (Kadokawa)
17./00. [PSV] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o! Kono Yokubukai Game ni Shinpan o! <STG> (5pb.)
18./22. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer)
19./17. [PS4] Yomawari: Midnight Shadows <ACT> (Nippon Ichi)
20./00. [PSV] Moujuu-Tachi to Ohimesama: In Blossom <ADV> (Idea Factory)

Rakuten Books Pre-Orders Ranking Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

01./02. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2018 <SPT> (Konami)
02./08. [PS4] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
03./11. [PS4] Uncharted: The Lost Legacy <ADV> (Sony Interactive)
04./13. [PS3] FIFA 18 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
05./00. [3DS] PriPara Idol Time: Yume All-Star Live! (Gorgeus Pack) <ACT> (Takara Tommy)
06./12. [PS4] NBA 2K18 <SPT> (Take-Two)
07./05. [PS4] Gran Turismo: Sport <RCE> (Sony Interactive)
08./03. [PS4] Yakuza: Kiwami 2 (Kiwami Limited Edtition) <ACT> (Sega)
09./16. [3DS] Metroid: Samus Returns <ACT> (Nintendo)
10./15. [NSW] Pokkén Tournament DX <FTG> (Pokémon Co.)

Rakuten Books Ranking Week 35, 2017 (Aug 28 - Sep 03)

***WARNING***

* Note: Games on the Rakuten Books Rankings are ONLY based on sales at Rakuten Books and does NOT count games sold by other retailers at Rakuten.
** Note 2: Games on the Pre-Orders Ranking are counted as net sales, so it might possibly affect the games listed on the Sales Ranking, since those sales are NOT added afterwards.

Don't know who but they need to push FEW harder.

It needs a new features trailer and a character reveal that will leave everyone shook.
Tharja

They still have characters to show, apparently. The current cast for FEW looks very boring like the game.
I imagine it'll do better than Hyrule Warriors in Japan, but likely not world WW...at least not the 3DS and Wii U versions combined

Rakuten Books Sales Ranking Week 36, 2017 (Sep 04 - Sep 10)

01./02. [NSW] Splatoon 2 (Switch Splatoon 2 Set) <BUN> (Nintendo)
07./11. [NSW] Splatoon 2 <ACT> (Nintendo)

1499355306183.gif

10 million lifetime sales is in reach for Splatoon 2, although 7.5M+ would be a great achievement already.

I think it's around 3 million worldwide right now, but tentacles are even longer than legs!

Zedark

10 million lifetime sales is in reach for Splatoon 2, although 7.5M+ would be a great achievement already.

I think it's around 3 million worldwide right now, but tentacles are even longer than legs!
I don't think it's at 3 million ww, more like 2-2.5 million imo. Japan bis 1 million. We know that US had 332k (or so) in July, so unless August is much higher it won't be close to 1 million in US, and in Europe Splatoon 2 is doing well but I don't think it's anywhere close to 1 million yet either. Even adding the other regions, I doubt it will be close to 3 million at the moment (which still is not a bad result by any means of course).

I don't think it's at 3 million ww, more like 2-2.5 million imo. Japan bis 1 million. We know that US had 332k (or so) in July, so unless August is much higher it won't be close to 1 million in US, and in Europe Splatoon 2 is doing well but I don't think it's anywhere close to 1 million yet either. Even adding the other regions, I doubt it will be close to 3 million at the moment (which still is not a bad result by any means of course).

Mine could be a bit on the high end yeah. Splatoon is bigger in Europe than the US (it was on Wii U, at least). Japan is at 1M right now, so WW number is likely a bit above 2M now when taking the Wii U sales split as estimate. At the end of quarter, I think it'll be >2.5M WW at least.

Mine could be a bit on the high end yeah. Splatoon is bigger in Europe than the US (it was on Wii U, at least). Japan is at 1M right now, so WW number is likely a bit above 2M now when taking the Wii U sales split as estimate. At the end of quarter, I think it'll be >2.5M WW at least.

Wait,what?I thought Splatoon was bigger in NA than Europe

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Since the release of Yoshi Touch & Go, Yoshi games have always been released in Q1 in Japan, with the exception of Yoshi's Woolly World, which released in July. For the last decade, Yoshi games tend to release in the first half of the year worldwide - and it seems like the focus is on Early Spring (March).

Regarding Kirby, since Kirby's Dream Land for the Game Boy, the main platformer games always released in March in Japan. During the Wii/DS generation, the release slot changed to October, but this changed back to January/April in the last couple of years on 3DS and Wii U.

An interesting detail is that in the last couple of years, when Kirby and Yoshi games released in the same year (2014, 2015), the Kirby game was released in January in Japan, while the Yoshi game was turned into a July release in Japan. Internationally, the releases of games in both series were actually pretty close to each other - Yoshi's New Island in March 2014 and Kirby Triple Deluxe in May 2014; Kirby and the Rainbow Curse in February 2015 and Yoshi's Woolly World in June 2015.

My guess is Kirby first (Q1 2018) and Yoshi later (Summer 2018).

I think that the 3DS Kirby game that will be released in Q4 2017 will have an immpact in the Switch Kirby game schedule, not only in terms of release but also in terms of development

It must be noted, if I remember correctly, that those numbers don't include Digital sales, but I agree that it probably still is under 3 millions ww.

I think that the 3DS Kirby game that will be released in Q4 2017 will have an immpact in the Switch Kirby game schedule, not only in terms of release but also in terms of development

Hmm yeah, that's a good point. Kirby and Yoshi both have a '2018' release windows, so it doesn't have to be H1 2018, although it would be a bit weird to announce it already in that case...

Looked it up because I started hesitating (I probably was thinking about a different series). And it looks like you're right, although numbers don't match really nicely.

In March 2016, Splatoon sales past 1M in Europe (source). That news is from the beginning of the month. At the end of the month, Splatoon had sold-through 1.3M copies in Japan to consumers (MC thread), so there's room for a couple more units sold to retailers.

At the end of March 2016 (financial year), Splatoon 2 sold 4.27M copies worldwide according to Nintendo themselves. Just subtracting the numbers above would result in almost 2M copies in North America, which seems like a bit too high to me, but maybe it isn't.

Zedark

I can't find the numbers to back the statement up, but it makes sense since Splatoon was only &#8364;40 in Europe, while it was $60 in the US.

yeah, 2.5 million ww after September should be easily achieved, especially Japan selling another 200k easily, and US getting the Splatoon hardware bundle at Walmart. It'll probably be close to 3 million or maybe even a little over in the earnings release for Q2 FY2017 (ending March 2018). Especially when adding the couple of 100k's from digital, as Aostia notes.

Looked it up because I started hesitating (I probably was thinking about a different series). And it looks like you're right, although numbers don't match really nicely.

In March 2016, Splatoon sales past 1M in Europe (source). That news is from the beginning of the month. At the end of the month, Splatoon had sold-through 1.3M copies in Japan to consumers (MC thread), so there's room for a couple more units sold to retailers.

At the end of March 2016 (financial year), Splatoon 2 sold 4.27M copies worldwide according to Nintendo themselves. Just subtracting the numbers above would result in almost 2M copies in North America, which seems like a bit too high to me, but maybe it isn't.
Alright, that Europe report confirms that it did in fact sell faster in US than in Europe; see this article:

Venturebeat said:
The publisher confirmed to GamesBeat that Super Mario Maker has surpassed 1 million copies sold in the United States. It is now the sixth Wii U game to hit that milestone for the company's Wii U console. Mario Maker had a strong holiday on the buzz from its reviews as well as winning GamesBeat's Game of the Year award.

The other million-selling Wii U games are:

Mario Kart 8
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Super Mario 3D World
New Super Mario Bros. U
Splatoon

So, Splatoon sold 1 million in US alone faster than it did in Europe (before the end of 2015 vs. March 2016).

Fukuzatsu

Splatoon on the Wii U sold around 5 million copies.

I think 10 million is doable.

Assuming they don't release another Splatoon on Switch, perhaps in two years time that's possible. The game is an evergreen title if there ever was one, after all. What I mean is I'm not sure it can get 2x the sales just because the Switch is doing better than the Wii U.

Zedark

Assuming they don't release another Splatoon on Switch, perhaps in two years time that's possible. The game is an evergreen title if there ever was one, after all. What I mean is I'm not sure it can get 2x the sales just because the Switch is doing better than the Wii U.

That's a reasonable trepidation imo. In Japan, I definitely see the game exploding to over twice its previous size, thanks the hype having caught on for Splatoon and the game being on a much more successful system which is a handheld to boot and will sell multiple times the Wii U LTD. In the west, however, the question remains how much the Splatoon hype has caught on. First month sales for Splatoon 2 was over twice the number for Splatoon 1's first month, but the number of days was not equal. I think we can do a comparison if/when we get sales numbers (via the famous NPD leak) for Splatoon 2 second month, in order to judge the game's potential. Information about Europe is sparse, except for the fact that Splatoon 2 did almost twice the number Splatoon 1 did in UK. That info is not too important, though, since it's the legs that matter most, but those are also the things we get the least solid numbers for.

Fukuzatsu

That's a reasonable trepidation imo. In Japan, I definitely see the game exploding to over twice its previous size, thanks the hype having caught on for Splatoon and the game being on a much more successful system which is a handheld to boot and will sell multiple times the Wii U LTD. In the west, however, the question remains how much the Splatoon hype has caught on. First month sales for Splatoon 2 was over twice the number for Splatoon 1's first month, but the number of days was not equal. I think we can do a comparison if/when we get sales numbers (via the famous NPD leak) for Splatoon 2 second month, in order to judge the game's potential. Information about Europe is sparse, except for the fact that Splatoon 2 did almost twice the number Splatoon 1 did in UK. That info is not too important, though, since it's the legs that matter most, but those are also the things we get the least solid numbers for.

That's a good point. Splatoon 2 will likely continue to chart in Japan for some time, and we'll get pretty clear data for that, but it should come as no surprise that it started off better than Splatoon 1 in all territories because it was an unknown factor then, on a system like the Wii U. The question is, can it go past the LTD of the first game (likely) and then double that in all territories (less likely)? If anything I would think that perhaps outside Japan 2 is more front loaded than 1 because the first was received so well, and because stock issues are less extreme in NA and EU.

L~A

Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon pre-orders also have to open yet.

Yup, but TPC always do their own stuff, and Pokémon games are not frequently mentioned in regular Direct. There's CoroCoro out this week, so we'll hear something pretty soon. I suspect pre-orders will go live on September 22nd, same day Gold/Silver and Pokkén are out.

Edit: uh, looks like the Monster Hunter Stories anime is getting an English dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkGpvo4rD0 (probably region-locked?)

Top Bottom