• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 36, 2013 (Sep 02 - Sep 08)

prwxv3

Now that we have finally received screens for Over My Dead Body 2 how well do you think it could sell? The IP looks decently strong from the PSX version and PSP remake sales.

Now that we have finally received screens for Over My Dead Body 2 how well do you think it could sell? The IP looks decently strong from the PSX version and PSP remake sales.

From VITA Monthly Thread
Physical sales only:

[PS] Over My Dead Body - 137,559
[PSP] Over My Dead Body - 124,899

The first game sold very well on PSN in Japan, which is why the PSP remake was made.
I expect close to these numbers. Should do at least 100k min.

The Vita TV targeting the family audience makes absolutely zero sense to me. Tearaway and Gravity Rush aren't playable on it, so what the hell do they have to attract the family audience?

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
new releases {2013.09.19}

[3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[3DS] Romance of the Three Kingdoms [Premium Box] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥7.140)
[3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition & Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Twin Pack <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.240)
[3DS] Mushi Bugyou <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980)
[3DS] Jewel Link: Legends of Atlantis 3D <PZL> (Intergrow) (¥3.990)

[PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru. # <ADV> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PSV] Yahari Game Demo Ore no Seishun Love-Kome Hamachi Gatteiru. [Limited Edition] <ADV> (5pb.) (¥9.975)
[PSV] Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (EA Best Hits) <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.940)

[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Full Voice Special # <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥5.040)
[PSP] La Corda d'Oro 3: Full Voice Special [Limited Edition] <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥13.440)

[PS3] Phantom Breaker: Extra # <FTG> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Phantom Breaker: Extra [Limited Edition] <FTG> (5pb.) (¥9.240)
[PS3] Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game (EA Best Hits) <RCE> (Electronic Arts) (¥2.940)

[360] Phantom Breaker: Extra # <FTG> (5pb.) (¥7.140)
[360] Phantom Breaker: Extra [Limited Edition] <FTG> (5pb.) (¥9.240)

The Vita TV targeting the family audience makes absolutely zero sense to me. Tearaway and Gravity Rush aren't playable on it, so what the hell do they have to attract the family audience?

I just can't see how it's meant to offer a compelling value proposition compared to competing STBs (better media/app features for a similar/cheaper price), PS3 (better media features and much broader, more appealing game library for a slightly higher price), or even Vita (can actually play the complete Vita library). It'll sell to a certain niche, but it's ultimately just Sony flailing about to try to make the Vita platform relevant without diverting any significant first-party development from consoles.

No since they talk for big increase

Well, it is the release weekend for a high profile title, so there's no surprise, but have they said how much of an increase? Given the game in question, 100k+ is not out of the question, but you said it was for the 3DS LL alone, so that would be interesting.

L Thammy

I'm wondering if Vita TV will get the Vita out of the otaku ghetto. I'd be surprised if it doesn't sell at that price, but I'd also be pretty surprised if the most price-conscious of buyers would be picking up a lot of new Vita software. I guess PlayStation Plus might be appealing to them.

[3DS] Nobunaga's Ambition & Romance of the Three Kingdoms: Twin Pack <SLG> (Koei Tecmo) (¥9.240)

This reminds me. Koei had the opportunity to introduce Nobunaga's Ambition franchise to a new audience with Pokemon Conquest, but I think they screwed up somewhat. They didn't tie the game to the Nobunaga's Ambition series abroad. They also made the game geared to much to just rapidly steamrollering over enemy territories with little concern for development - it doesn't really prepare you for proper strategy games of this type, even in the harder chapters.

Glancing at Garaph, it seems like Pokemon was the only Koei strategy game for DS not to sell miserably. Are we seeing any sign that these might be different?

cafemomo

They should just do another Pokemon Conquest

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
All this talk of Vita compatibility (or possibly lack there of) glosses over the fact that it should play PSP games (well all of the ones on PSN) with zero issues at all. I know that is one of the reasons why I want one. Wonder how many people that would draw in Japan. They should have added a UMD drive.

Busaiku

All this talk of Vita compatibility (or possibly lack there of) glosses over the fact that it should play PSP games (well all of the ones on PSN) with zero issues at all. I know that is one of the reasons why I want one. Wonder how many people that would draw in Japan. They should have added a UMD drive.

Are a bunch of these niche games even on PSN?
Stuff like all the otoge that have been doing well and are coming up.

Not many I presume. TVita has two things going against it:

1) it is not portable, which Japan seems to be focusing on at the moment.

2) the media box Sony is going for appeals more to the West, specially the US. And even then, this is a limited proposition if you consider what other affordable media boxes can do.

Add to that the fact that you need the memory cards for games outside physical Vita games, such as the PSP and PS+ games. If you already have a PS3, then good for you. Otherwise, it's an extra investment.

The system looks cheap at a glance, but there are just too many barriers holding it back.

Boney

Banned
So it's been 2 years since the MH4 announcement and no other hunting action series has followed. Not what I expected really.

Right, not that i think GR is family targeted in the first place (everybody's golf would be a better choice and is compatible), but at least in the west there's the lego games, sly cooper, rayman, ratchet, Jak, etc

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So it's been 2 years since the MH4 announcement and no other hunting action series has followed. Not what I expected really.

Something has started moving in the last months, due to One Piece: Unlimited World Red and Toriko: Ultimate Survival, but hopefully more things will happen on that front.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Something has started moving in the last months, due to One Piece: Unlimited World Red and Toriko: Ultimate Survival, but hopefully more things will happen on that front.

We've definitely seen a lot of licensed games in the genre moving.

I suspect Sony just has offered very notable monetary support for the rest of the genre, and that third parties believe the Vita still has a notable following for the genre, which is why they retain those games.

Busaiku

To be fair, God Eater 2 and Phantasy Star Online 2 were in development for their platforms before Monster Hunter 4 was announced.
I imagine after this holiday, things should ramp up even more.

Boney

Banned
Indeed Sony has been mega agressive securing deals for the mid tier games, whereas Nintendo (and myself) probably expected a deal of this magnitude would make other publishers turn heads on it's own.

It would've been mega smart for Nintendo to launch it's own hunting action game to coast after MH4 and establish itself as a player in the field, just like Sony should've done with the PSP.

Busaiku

I think it's possible for the next God Eater to have a 3DS iteration, unless it's like a super massive hit on Vita or something.

mrjohill

I think it's possible for the next God Eater to have a 3DS iteration, unless it's like a super massive hit on Vita or something.

Wouldn't they have to redo all of the models and textures for the 3ds? Unless they use the psp ones or something?

Oregano

The only genre that seems to have followed the genre king onto 3DS is the life sim genre. I'm actually more shocked that no one is making SRPGs after the success of Fire Emblem Awakeming; didn't Imageepoch say they were making a 3DS SRPG, wonder what happened to that?

I think Vita TV will do okay. It won't set any sales records, but it will be successful enough for the cost and effort. The Vita will benefit from the expanded base and it gives the low to mid tier developers a place for their games without the higher costs of PS4 games. Plus, cross development is apparently pretty easy which is why there are so many PS3/Vita and PS4/Vita games announced.

Hellraider

Not gonna happen.Unless God Eater 2 is an ultra failure selling 5-digit number which is impossible to happen since the PSP SKU exists and can co-exist with a Vita one.

Just like a Monster Hunter is not happening for the Vita, GE will never come to the 3DS unless a huge change occurs (as in PSVita getting discontinued).

Busaiku

It was original a PSP only title.
And I forgot it had crossplay as well, so yeah that would rule out 3DS.
I only thought it was possible since I forgot that fact, so I assumed the fanbase was being split anyways.

Yawnier

Banned
Hardware numbers are depressing with the exception of the 3DS and PS3 (considering it's age at this point), man the market contracted over there big time in such a short timespan.

Glass Rebel

Oh yeah that's a good example.

Though Capcom following Capcom kind of flows naturally.

Heh, yeah.

I joked a while ago that Vita is getting the original MonHun clones while 3DS is getting licensed ones. It's probably extra convenient for Namco Bandai to combine their One Piece and Toriko licenses with one of the most popular genres.

On the other hand, we can't ignore that two of the important Hunting Action Vita titles are SCE games, namely Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars, while Nintendo has done nothing in the genre (maybe because of Capcom?). Not that it's a bad thing but it skews the perception a bit. Of course, Phantasy Star, God Eater and to a lesser extent Toukiden are fantastic "gets" for Sony and the Vita.

Gaist Crusher is the first non-MonHun effort for the 3DS but... I can't come up with anyone to make more.

- NB has their licensed stuff and God Eater seems unlikely
- SEGA has their plate full with PSO2 and (hopefully) tri-Ace offline Phantasy Stars
- Square-Enix tried their hand at the genre with Lord of Arcana, which sold somewhat decently. Lord of Apocalypse bombed badly. Maybe they'll try with a more lighthearted game on 3DS?
- Konami... lol
- Marvelous announced an "online heavy" game called "Dragon Marked for Death" made by inti-creates which could be a Hunting Action title but we haven't heard about it in ages

I dunno, maybe there's just no-one there to make these games :lol

Yeah God Eater 2 Burst for 3DS and Vita makes loads of sense; they have both audiences, the original Sony audience and the current MH audience on 3DS.

Heh, yeah.

I joked a while ago that Vita is getting the original MonHun clones while 3DS is getting licensed ones. It's probably extra convenient for Namco Bandai to combine their One Piece and Toriko licenses with one of the most popular genres.

On the other hand, we can't ignore that two of the important Hunting Action Vita titles are SCE games, namely Soul Sacrifice and Freedom Wars, while Nintendo has done nothing in the genre (maybe because of Capcom?). Not that it's a bad thing but it skews the perception a bit. Of course, Phantasy Star, God Eater and to a lesser extent Toukiden are fantastic "gets" for Sony and the Vita.

Gaist Crusher is the first non-MonHun effort for the 3DS but... I can't come up with anyone to make more.

- NB has their licensed stuff and God Eater seems unlikely
- SEGA has their plate full with PSO2 and (hopefully) tri-Ace offline Phantasy Stars
- Square-Enix tried their hand at the genre with Lord of Arcana, which sold somewhat decently. Lord of Apocalypse bombed badly. Maybe they'll try with a more lighthearted game on 3DS?
- Konami... lol
- Marvelous announced an "online heavy" game called "Dragon Marked for Death" made by inti-creates which could be a Hunting Action title but we haven't heard about it in ages

I dunno, maybe there's just no-one there to make these games :lol

Konami's was Frontier Gate by... tri-Ace lol.

And maybe MAQL is waiting for MH4 to release DMFD, though Inti-Creates is busy with Mighty No.9...

Glass Rebel

I know the subseries is likely dead :( but I honestly expected a hunting action Crystal Chronicles game on the 3DS.

That's... actually a good one. The series ended on a low note with Crystal Bearers but the last multiplayer entry sold 300k across DS and Wii. Could be ripe for a return.

Konami's was Frontier Gate by... tri-Ace lol.

And maybe MAQL is waiting for MH4 to release DMFD, though Inti-Creates is busy with Mighty No.9...

Are you sure about Frontier Gate? I thought that had turn-based battles.

That's... actually a good one. The series ended on a low note with Crystal Bearers but the last multiplayer entry sold 300k across DS and Wii. Could be ripe for a return.

Are you sure about Frontier Gate? I thought that had turn-based battles.

Could've sworn it was a MH clone, maybe I'm wrong?

Sandfox

Next week is going to be really fun.

Also, I really don't see why casual gamers and families would want a Vita TV even in the west...

prwxv3

We make fun of Sony for having all these MH imitators but its helping building a audience for those games on vita. GE 2 sould sell very well because of this.

We make fun of Sony for having all these MH imitators but its helping building a audience for those games on vita. GE 2 sould sell very well because of this.

yeah i doubt toukiden would have been such a surprise if they hadn't already pushed soul sac earlier in the year.

Top Bottom