• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2014 (Sep 22 - Sep 28)

You make it sound as if 2013 had every week over 100k.

Code:
--------------------------------------------------
|Week|        2013         |        2014         |
| 40 | 122.987 |   122.987 |         |           |
| 41 | 213.570 |   336.557 |         |           | -> MH4G / new 3DS LL / new 3DS
| 42 | 154.578 |   491.135 |         |           |
| 43 | 109.508 |   600.643 |         |           |
| 44 |  88.376 |   689.019 |         |           |
| 45 |  81.817 |   770.836 |         |           |
| 46 |  70.102 |   840.938 |         |           |
| 47 |  84.506 |   925.444 |         |           | -> OR/AS
| 48 | 108.373 | 1.033.817 |         |           |
| 49 | 125.269 | 1.159.086 |         |           |
| 50 | 181.556 | 1.340.642 |         |           |
| 51 | 232.600 | 1.573.242 |         |           |
| 52 | 201.703 | 1.774.945 |         |           |
I don't really know if that strengthens the argument for an up Y/Y for the remaining 13 weeks of the year.

The system is currently selling about ~30K non-holiday weeks, give or take a big game release or slow week. Is n3DS expected to like triple sales or something?

What's the expectation for launch week?
What exactly is the expectation for the n3DS outside of launch week?
Are the Pokemon remakes supposed to drive sales as much as X/Y?
Is holiday supposed to be significantly up to make up for any shortfall in the preceding 8-9 weeks?

hongcha

Maybe bomba-bin was a bit much, but Ni No Kuni DS was already going for 30-40% off less than a month after launch.

Yeah, I remember buying it for like 1/2 off brand new a month or so out of launch. After getting it I understood why it was in the bomba bin. The DS version is an absolutely terrible game. I can't think of anything L5 has made that is worse.

The book it came with was really cool though. Honestly I felt they put more time and effort into the book than the game.

Busaiku

Didn't the PS3 game have a relatively big shipment too (of course, significantly less than the DS game, but like 200k?).
Nobody wanted the franchise, and it's understandable why.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
sörine;132780497 said:
The 3DS version did technically sell a lot more.

Danball Senki W (PSP) 155,877
Danball Senki W (Vita) 20,178
Danball Senki W Super Custom (3DS) 64,885

The franchise died out, but that's not the reason it cratered on Vita when it did. Vita as a platform was the issue comparably.

What is a danball.

StormKing

The Dragon Quest XI announcement thread is going to crash GAF. Any idea of when they'll announce more details about it? December 2015?

Will it? The franchise, like the market it primarily serves has lost a lot of relevance outside of the market it serves.

Did Monster Hunter platform announcement crash GAF. Don't remember.

I don't really think that the forum outside of these MC threads is obsessing/fretting over it nearly as much.

I must be in a contrarian mood.

Takao

Banned
What is a danball.

Think it's supposed to be Cardboard Troopers or something like that. English name for that series is Little Battlers eXperience. It's a robot transmedia IP that Level-5 ran into the ground within 2 years.

Busaiku

Think it's supposed to be Cardboard Troopers or something like that. English name for that series is Little Battlers eXperience. It's a robot transmedia IP that Level-5 ran into the ground within 2 years.

You missed the joke.

I think she was pointing out that it's misspelled. (Though it not the first time I've seen that spelling.)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I was poking fun at him. ;)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They shipped 600k on week 1.
All of the copies of the game included the book, they took up a ton of space.
I don't remember how much it dropped in the immediate weeks, but it's very likely close to those low prices.

I was reading through the old media create thread, did they seriously package a book with every game o_O?... that's kind of insane for a portable game lol. I think if Hino had tempered his expectations it could have done a lot better. Then again, retailers are the ones that request copies right? They must have also thought it'd be the next big thing or something. Did the PS3 do the same book thing? Ironically the Wii U could have worked well with a "book" of sorts, not sure how it was actually used though.

Mory Dunz

Will it? The franchise, like the market it primarily serves has lost a lot of relevance outside of the market it serves.

I don't really think that the forum outside of these MC threads is obsessing/fretting over it nearly as much.

Well, Sonic Lost World's announcement crashed GAF.

Or rather, Gaf was down when it was announced,heh.

mao2

I was reading through the old media create thread, did they seriously package a book with every game o_O?... that's kind of insane for a portable game lol. I think if Hino had tempered his expectations it could have done a lot better. Then again, retailers are the ones that request copies right? They must have also thought it'd be the next big thing or something. Did the PS3 do the same book thing? Ironically the Wii U could have worked well with a "book" of sorts, not sure how it was actually used though.
Yes, every single copy of the DS version is packaged with Wizard's Companion book. It was also given out as a pre-order bonus for the PS3 version, but unlike the DS version, it wasn't required to play the game.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
I don't really know if that strengthens the argument for an up Y/Y for the remaining 13 weeks of the year.

The system is currently selling about ~30K non-holiday weeks, give or take a big game release or slow week. Is n3DS expected to like triple sales or something?

What's the expectation for launch week?
What exactly is the expectation for the n3DS outside of launch week?
Are the Pokemon remakes supposed to drive sales as much as X/Y?
Is holiday supposed to be significantly up to make up for any shortfall in the preceding 8-9 weeks?

Sometimes I wonder if I see different numbers.

The system isn't selling 30k per week after YW2 launch and it's an anomaly it's still selling that much so close to revisions.

Expectations for launch and outside launch are big for 2 revisions at once.

The equivalent of X/Y this year isn't OR/AS but 4G and new 3DS. OR/AS is a bonus 2013 didn't have.

Holiday doesn't have to be significantly up to make up for any shortfall in the preceding 8-9 weeks and either way 2013 December numbers weren't antything spectacular that can't be matched.

I just picked a few random weeks to look at, including this one, saw 30K, 35K, 40K and 30K. I looked again and I missed some of the higher recent weeks of 50K. And I guess one can argue that sales have been depressed due to the announcement of the new 3DS. Ergo, presumably next week will be even more depressed.

What kind of launch week and/or post launch week are expected then? Like 300K launch? Higher? 350K would be approaching the initial 3DS launch from a quick look. 100K baseline non-holiday weeks? Are expectations that high for this revision?

It just seems odd. But maybe it's because I'm still seeing this as a revision rather than a pseudo new system. Likewise, I don't really see it as 2 revisions being launched, as opposed to a new revision coming in two sizes.

But I'm open to being completely and utterly wrong.

zeromcd73

Have we gotten any Comgnet rankings for the PS4/Vita Senran Kagura coming out? Maybe that might help PS4? ;__;
Preorders only went up last night and it isn't releasing for another 5 months, so it will probably be a while.

Will Senran Kagura save PS4, or will PS4 save Senran Kagura?
life saves all

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DSi sold 170k first week, DSi LL around 100k. I'm expecting less for the n3DS and n3DS LL.

Depends on the shipment, both DSi and DSiLL launches werent launched with a Blockbuster title ala Monster Hunter - not too mention that 3DS is still being carried by YW and Smash.

It will be interesting how many consoles Nintendo will ship.

hongcha

Depends on the shipment, both DSi and DSiLL launches werent launched with a Blockbuster title ala Monster Hunter - not too mention that 3DS is still being carried by YW and Smash.

It will be interesting how many consoles Nintendo will ship.

DS was far more popular than the 3DS is. Something else to keep in mind.

casiopao

Sometimes I wonder if I see different numbers.

The system isn't selling 30k per week after YW2 launch and it's an anomaly it's still selling that much so close to revisions.

Expectations for launch and outside launch are big for 2 revisions at once.

The equivalent of X/Y this year isn't OR/AS but 4G and new 3DS. OR/AS is a bonus 2013 didn't have.

Holiday doesn't have to be significantly up to make up for any shortfall in the preceding 8-9 weeks and either way 2013 December numbers weren't antything spectacular that can't be matched.

I agree with u there. Last year, Poke and MH release time quite close however this time, they placed around 3 weeks between? So it should be better for the hardware sales here.^_^

Sure, i know that the 3DS version sold noticeably more than the Vita version indeed, but since Yokai Watch and Danball Senki was mentioned together/in coherence, i had that i mind, and i dont concider a ~45k difference to be a lot in that regards. I was thinking more of several 100ks in difference. Since the 3DS version didnt sell that much either, it shows that its more about the franchise itself rather than which platform the game is on. Yokai Watch has shown that the 3DS is more than capable of selling a lot more than 65k copies of a game that is mainly aimed toward kids.

Maybe i misunderstood your point earlier, but i read it as you ment that Level 5 basically tried to establish Danball Senki on the Vita on the same level as they tried to establish Yokai Watch on the 3DS (that Danball Senki on the Vita was going to be "the next big thing" and that Level 5 had much riding on this version), but then the game/version didnt sold that well and Level 5 decided to drop all Vita support only because of this. I agree that the sales of the Vita version of Danball Senki most likely didnt exactly spark much confidence for future projects on the Vita, but i think that they were more disappointed about the franchise sales as a whole, and not really mainly about the Vita version sales. It is afterall a PSP port, and from what i've read, they didnt exactly put a lot of work into the port (this is not a excuse, but maybe this shows that they didnt have that much high hopes for the Vita version to begin with).

I also think that Level 5 could have tried more Vita projects regardless of how Danball Senki sold, but Level 5 never had any serious support for the Vita in the first place, so i guess that they believed more in the 3DS instead overall (which was a smart move, especially seeing the huge success of Yokai Watch). They didnt drop the 3DS because the 3DS version of Danball Senki sold 65k for example, that is mainly why i think its more about the franchise instead of the platform regarding support. Personally, i think that if the Vita version of Danball Senki had sold 150k (and no PSP version existed), i think that the franchise would be dead today anyway and that Level 5 would have focused on the 3DS regardless. But who knows, only Hino has the real answer :)

You have to consider two things: many third parties decided to not support PSV because of its abysmal hardware sales and not spectacular software sales; and not all platforms are able to sell all games. Level-5 did not support PSV much because of those reasons; I find more surprising that Level-5 did not support PSP when it was starting to sell incredibly well, rather than not supporting PSV when it was selling really bad. Also, Level-5 has been a kid-oriented software house since many years; they do produce games that are targeted towards a wider audience, but the core of their business is multi-media franchises aimed at young people. In this sense, 3DS is the perfect platform (other than smartphones); getting rid of alternatives that have not the same userbase is nothing strange.

Also, you have to consider that Level-5 sell in Western markets as well, where its name is highly associated with Nintendo (at least on handheld). Using resources to build IPs on 3DS seemed a natural strategy, given the fact that Nintendo would have localized some of their efforts (Fantasy Life is the last example... And it is selling well in Europe).

A further reason that goes against your post is that 3DS had another entry in the LBX franchise before the porting of the second one: the porting of the first one, LBX Explosive Boost. This was basically the third version of the game previously released on PSP in 2011; and this went to sell over 200k units, and was an incredible success for Level-5 (it basically sold as much as the expansion, again on PSP). If Level-5 have not already worked on LBX on PSV (i.e. the game was planned before LBX for 3DS was even released), I am pretty sure they would never released it, opting for a multi PSP/3DS in the first place. Hence, the sole existence of LBX on PSV shows that Level-5 was going to bet on PSV as a continuation of its PSP strategy, at least for this very franchise. Then they overexploited it, but numbers on PSV were absolutely abysmal.

In sum, I do not think Level-5 should have tried more on PSV. A market for their games was not there, but elsewhere; 3DS was showing strong signs of dominance, software-wise; also, they tried to approach smartphone and PC games more seriously.

Yeah, when it hit the bomba bins. Level-5 shipped like 500k during week 1.

Maybe bomba-bin was a bit much, but Ni No Kuni DS was already going for 30-40% off less than a month after launch.

They shipped 600k on week 1.
All of the copies of the game included the book, they took up a ton of space.
I don't remember how much it dropped in the immediate weeks, but it's very likely close to those low prices.

Bomba bins aside, the game still sold 400k units at full price:

02. / 00. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {09/12/10} - 170.548 / NEW
09. / 02. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {09/12/10} - 74.329 / 244.877 (-56%)
09. / 09. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {2010.12.09} - 84.115 / 328.992 (+13%)
07. / 09. [NDS] Ni no Kuni: The Ebony Wizard (Level 5) {2010.12.09} - 53.295 / 382.287 (-37%)

The game was indeed overshipped, but in absolute numbers it did not do badly. How many new IPs were able to reach 400k units last generation? Not so many (and some of them were again Level-5's).

it was not only the anime

manga + anime + medals + arcade

The anime helped all the other things.

Anyway, not all multi-media franchises succeed eventually. Yo-kai Watch is showing that Level-5 is able to interpret better than anyone else the kids market.

DS was far more popular than the 3DS is. Something else to keep in mind.

To be fair, 2008 DS was not much different from 2014 3DS; the same can be said for 2009 DS+DSi (DSi XL was launched in Nov. 2009).

http://gamedatamuseum.web.fc2.com/main.htm

2013 winter holiday had Wii U as "hot platform"
3DS didn't perform so well (but also the release list was not strong)
actually 2014 YTD are 1,5mln behind 2013 YTD, but considering from the next week 4 models will be in the market + MH4G + Pokemon next month, matching 2013 YTD is possible
It depends about Nintendo and how many units they will ship, i won't be surprised if they supply constrain the new models to keep the hype up among customers

actually 2014 YTD are 1,5mln behind 2013 YTD, but considering from the next week 4 models will be in the market + MH4G + Pokemon next month, matching 2013 YTD is possible
It depends about Nintendo and how many units they will ship, i won't be surprised if they supply constrain the new models to keep the hype up among customers

To match 2013 YTD is not reasonable, in my opinion. A realistic expectation, though, is to shorten the gap, i.e. selling better than last year's October, November and December. This would mean doing a lot better than what many people were expecting here before August; I remember reading people saying that 3DS would have not sold more than 2.5m units (50% drop from last year); instead, 3.5m are not out of reach.

But I'm open to being completely and utterly wrong.

As am I, even though my position is basically 'I dunno'

With a 300k launch and death valley sales next week they would still be behind last year, so I think Chris must be expecting more than that.

Looking at last year Pokemon and MH only provided a decent hardware boost for a few weeks each, and likewise for the original 3DS LL model. I think it's going to come down to just how popular the new 3DS features are, it has new cases, NFC, stable 3d, built in CPP controls, but I'm not sure how much each of these features are going to revive the flagging sales. It might be Amiibo that gives 3ds the biggest boost for all I know.

hiska-kun

I'm enjoying Osaka.

MH4G's advert in Namba (Osaka's center)

7BB998A6-F90D-42A0-90D1-3ED6B2B0DA05_zps19rwu8my.jpg

D93FFF3C-77E1-4704-A33F-13EEEE9DBF1A_zpsb0rcehbk.jpg

With a 300k launch and death valley sales next week they would still be behind last year, so I think Chris must be expecting more than that.

Looking at last year Pokemon and MH only provided a decent hardware boost for a few weeks each, and likewise for the original 3DS LL model. I think it's going to come down to just how popular the new 3DS features are, it has new cases, NFC, stable 3d, built in CPP controls, but I'm not sure how much each of these features are going to revive the flagging sales. It might be Amiibo that gives 3ds the biggest boost for all I know.

YW is having a movie coming out in December too. I bet YW2 will be huge these holidays, if it can sell 60k+ weekly units in September.

To match 2013 YTD is not reasonable, in my opinion. A realistic expectation, though, is to shorten the gap, i.e. selling better than last year's October, November and December. This would mean doing a lot better than what many people were expecting here before August; I remember reading people saying that 3DS would have not sold more than 2.5m units (50% drop from last year); instead, 3.5m are not out of reach.

Can't remember when but I might have been part of that, but I was specifically arguing that they needed a revision to sell more.

No you're right.

Preorders only went up last night and it isn't releasing for another 5 months, so it will probably be a while.

Will Senran Kagura save PS4, or will PS4 save Senran Kagura?
life saves all

PSV will save Senran Kagura. PS4 will help but I don't see it doing much relatively.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

do you alway mean matching the oct-dec YtD, right? matching the entire YTD is simply impossible, that would mean selling more than 3 millions units in three months ;p

test_account

XP-39C²
You have to consider two things: many third parties decided to not support PSV because of its abysmal hardware sales and not spectacular software sales; and not all platforms are able to sell all games. Level-5 did not support PSV much because of those reasons; I find more surprising that Level-5 did not support PSP when it was starting to sell incredibly well, rather than not supporting PSV when it was selling really bad. Also, Level-5 has been a kid-oriented software house since many years; they do produce games that are targeted towards a wider audience, but the core of their business is multi-media franchises aimed at young people. In this sense, 3DS is the perfect platform (other than smartphones); getting rid of alternatives that have not the same userbase is nothing strange.

Also, you have to consider that Level-5 sell in Western markets as well, where its name is highly associated with Nintendo (at least on handheld). Using resources to build IPs on 3DS seemed a natural strategy, given the fact that Nintendo would have localized some of their efforts (Fantasy Life is the last example... And it is selling well in Europe).

A further reason that goes against your post is that 3DS had another entry in the LBX franchise before the porting of the second one: the porting of the first one, LBX Explosive Boost. This was basically the third version of the game previously released on PSP in 2011; and this went to sell over 200k units, and was an incredible success for Level-5 (it basically sold as much as the expansion, again on PSP). If Level-5 have not already worked on LBX on PSV (i.e. the game was planned before LBX for 3DS was even released), I am pretty sure they would never released it, opting for a multi PSP/3DS in the first place. Hence, the sole existence of LBX on PSV shows that Level-5 was going to bet on PSV as a continuation of its PSP strategy, at least for this very franchise. Then they overexploited it, but numbers on PSV were absolutely abysmal.

In sum, I do not think Level-5 should have tried more on PSV. A market for their games was not there, but elsewhere; 3DS was showing strong signs of dominance, software-wise; also, they tried to approach smartphone and PC games more seriously.
I think you misunderstood my post because i didnt say that Level5 should have tried more on Vita and i agree with pretty much all of what you're saying here :) My point was that i dont think that LBX on Vita was a "make it or break it" situation for Level5 regarding Vita support. I dont think Level5 put that much hope and effort into the Vita version alone. I just mentioned this because i understood what Sörine said earlier was that he compared LBX Vita and Yokai Watch 3DS on the same level of support, and that Level5 was so disappointed in the LBX Vita sales that they completely dumped the platform because of that. But as i mentioned, maybe i misunderstood what he ment.

When i said that Level5 could have tried more on the Vita, i just ment that i dont think LBX Vita was a real killer for future Vita support, or that Level5 had a lot riding on that version. So even if LBX Vita was a big failure, i dont think that was the key reason for no more future Vita support. I think that they mainly wanted to focus on the 3DS instead regardless (which i said was a really smart move). Even if LBX Vita sold 150k, i think that Level5 still would have dropped the Vita support to be honest. They could probably do the same, and maybe even more on the 3DS, so that would be a more safe bet (which you also mentioned, i agree). Or in other words, a platform wasnt dropped only because they were very disappointed in the sales, but rather believed that another platform could do at least the same or even better. Sorry if i wasnt more clear on this point earlier.

Bomba bins aside, the game still sold 400k units at full price
Didnt the price for Ni No Kuni 3DS drop noticeably in several of stores already after 2 or 3 weeks?

Darius

Banned
Some really high set benchmarks... 3DS having a similar October-December to last year would be pretty good in my book, at least that is what I think when I see how it sold over 100k units for several weeks in this period last year. Considering how it had a notable decline yoy so far that would be quite an achievement, especially for a system in its fourth year in market. Don´t really see a valid reason to expect the last 3 months of this year to compensate the past 9 months though, that´s just unrealistic, other than to be "disappointed".

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
ninokuni was also an expansive ds game. when they drop the price, to clean inventory of a bulky ds game, it was in line with normal ds games, I think. we could say that many people didn't see in the book a justification for an higher price. still, the game sold decently as an overpriced new IP, and kept selling as a normal priced game until hitting a respectable LTD. I don't think that ninokuni ds was a fail by any means, in fact I suspect that almost every Japanese company would like to have been able to create a ~500k ds rpg

I think you misunderstood my post because i didnt say that Level5 should have tried more on Vita and i agree with pretty much all of what you're saying here :) My point was that i dont think that LBX on Vita was a "make it or break it" situation for Level5 regarding Vita support. I dont think Level5 put that much hope and effort into the Vita version alone. I just mentioned this because i understood what Sörine said earlier was that he compared LBX Vita and Yokai Watch 3DS on the same level of support, and that Level5 was so disappointed in the LBX Vita sales that they completely dumped the platform because of that. But as i mentioned, maybe i misunderstood what he ment.

When i said that Level5 could have tried more on the Vita, i just ment that i dont think LBX Vita was a real killer for future Vita support, or that Level5 had a lot riding on that version. So even if LBX Vita was a big failure, i dont think that was the key reason for no more future Vita support. I think that they mainly wanted to focus on the 3DS instead regardless (which i said was a really smart move). Even if LBX Vita sold 150k, i think that Level5 still would have dropped the Vita support to be honest. They could probably do the same, and maybe even more on the 3DS, so that would be a more safe bet (which you also mentioned, i agree). Or in other words, a platform wasnt dropped only because they were very disappointed in the sales, but rather believed that another platform could do at least the same or even better.

LBX on PSV was a way to migrate LBX userbase on PSV. It bombed hard, while the IP was selling remarkably well on 3DS. LBX on PSV was not, of course, an attempt in supporting the platform outside this IP.

If LBX on PSV had sold 150k units, I'm sure Level-5 would have brought more of the same IP on PSV.

Didnt the price for Ni No Kuni 3DS drop noticeably in several of stores already after 2 or 3 weeks?

IIRC, the price started collapsing after holidays; also, the price usually does not decrease by 50% or more in a week or so; retailers slash prices gradually, in particular under holidays. Ni no Kuni sold a lot at full price, and still a lot at reduced price.

ninokuni was also an expansive ds game. when they drop the price, to clean inventory of a bulky ds game, it was in line with normal ds games, I think. we could say that many people didn't see in the book a justification for an higher price. still, the game sold decently as an overpriced new IP, and kept selling as a normal priced game until hitting a respectable LTD. I don't think that ninokuni ds was a fail by any means, in fact I suspect that almost every Japanese company would like to have been able to create a ~500k ds rpg

Though I do think Ni no kuni was not the bomba many want to paint, I am also sure that it was not a success either. Remember that the game was hyped a lot; and that Level-5 already had two million seller new IP on the DS; IIRC, Hino was expecting Ni no kuni to break the million mark.

sphinx

the piano man

HOLY SHIT!! 0_0

They hired Yuzuru Hanyu, Japanese olympic figure skating champion 2014 to advertise MH4G.

And he's actually in the middle of a triple jump while attacking the monster, that's easily the most badass advertising I've seen from capcom, or who ever was in charge of it.

Spiegel

LBX on PSV was a way to migrate LBX userbase on PSV. It bombed hard, while the IP was selling remarkably well on 3DS. LBX on PSV was not, of course, an attempt in supporting the platform outside this IP.

If LBX on PSV had sold 150k units, I'm sure Level-5 would have brought more of the same IP on PSV.

The last game got released on 3DS and bombed hard too when lots of owners of the first game didn't buy the second one. It didn't matter where it was released because it was clearly on decline.
Little Battlers was a mismanaged new franchise with 4 games released on 3 different platforms in 18 months.

Not that anyone should care about the death of the franchise. The games didn't seem to be anything special and Level 5 has the kids audience locked with the 3DS and Yokai Watch now.

L~A

Ok, here's the September Edition of my Leg-o-meter. Interesting stuff happening this month:

1) GTA V Bargain Edition already did as good as the regular edition
2) Mario Kart 8 finally passed Mario Kart 7
3) Youkai Watch 2 slowly climbing the chart
4) Youkai Watch has managed to remain in the Top 20 for 39 weeks... yup, that's the entire year so far. This week was pretty close, because it was almost kicked out by the new games coming out.
5) Shocking: Nintendo games got some pretty good legs.

duckroll

Just throwing this out there:

If Level5 is making a sequel to Ninokuni, where do you think they would put it? On the 3DS for the Japanese market? On the PS4 for the international market? Make two versions again?

Darius

Banned
The last game got released on 3DS and bombed hard too when lots of owners of the first game didn't buy the second one. It didn't matter where it was released because it was clearly on decline.
Little Battlers was a mismanaged new franchise with 4 games released on 3 different platforms in 18 months.

Not that anyone should care about the death of the franchise. The games didn't seem to be anything special and Level 5 has the kids audience locked with the 3DS and Yokai Watch now.

The only game after W Super was a spinoff with a different gameplay though and by then the anime already past its prime. When the PSV version launched the IP was still quite healthy, the sales of the PSP version launched in the same day and of DanballSenki Baku Boost on 3DS in the same year were still good. PSV just hasn´t a very wide userbase, no point in making up excuses for its very own shortcomings.

Ad0l

Banned

If Level5 is making a sequel to Ninokuni, where do you think they would put it? On the 3DS for the Japanese market? On the PS4 for the international market? Make two versions again?

On the PS4 for the international market. They're already busy with Youkai Watch in Japan and the international market is a better fit for a Ghibli related thing. Maybe they can even get some money/marketing from Sony and do a late PC port because the anime enthusiast crowd could be not interested in buying a PS4.

zeromcd73

Is it even actually possible anymore with Ghibli closed down (or on hiatus)?

Level5 were recruiting for a big project and considering they have always had lots of projects yet this year only just YokaiWatch2 and Wonderflick make me think it's (or something else) a PS4 game.

Sony also had Level5 on their list of companies making PS4 game last year :)

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

That I included week 40 already gives a 100k bonus to 2013. If I wanted to be entirelly fair comparisons should start the week of new 3DS launch.

You look very devoted to week after week sales. It's a 3-months comparison that will end at the end of December not after revisions launch.

Top Bottom