• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

noobie

Banned
What are the expectations for MHW (PS4) limited edition bundle sales in December? Can we expect 200k+? bundles? MHW pre-ordering is going quite good on COMG

i guess those were the picks the newer FE fans like the best. however. as seen with echoes and now warriors sales. i think they aren't the "buy most FE stuff" type.
those are most likely the older fans that warriors pretty much ignored in most of it's roster

yes. they were quite surprised about some of the results.
still. IS is the one that pushed koei to include lucina , lyn and celica
The newer fans clearly preferred other characters from Awakening than the ones picked for Warriors, as evidenced by the character polls. The roster isn't 'old vs. New fans' so much as it is KT and IS totally misreading the entire fanbase.

There isn't a problem with the characters chosen for Shadow Dragon, Awakening and Fates.

The problem is that they restricted it to those games when you have characters that are unreasonably popular due to Smash Bros. Sure, they added in Lyn, but it does seem more likely she was a late entry after the fact from the results of the CYL poll.

For a game that was expected to only feature characters from three games of the franchise suddenly has Lyn and Celica appear. If they were going to bungle up their arbitrary rules, they should have just put in Ike, Roy and Hector to ensure some worldwide sales. (Of course part of this feels like speaking in hindsight because of how bad it's doing in Japan, that's why it might not do so bad worldwide but there were definitely things they could have done better.)

lyn & celica isn't involved in the story anyway. I suppose when you have few resources left for non-story chara, ultimately they have to make sacrifice

Thoraxes

It's in line with the Vita sales, but in addition there are 60k-65k sales on PS3, so it's a drop of nearly half compared to 1 and 2.

Edit: Compare this:
It basically sold about what my expectations were given the switch in platforms mid-arc. Disappointing compared to releasing on two platforms? Sure. But not entirely unexpected at all, especially given that it's on PS4 there as a single platform SKU.

The quality of the gameplay/presentation has greatly improved thanks to the move imo, and I've really been enjoying the game so far.

I don't really get why FEW didn't span the whole series. Instead of wanting to do a sequel with other titles they should have just made 1 game with everything. Maybe I'm just dumb or uninformed but how are Roy and Ike not in the base game? Why wouldn't every smash bros character default be in?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I honestly don't think putting in Roy and Ike would suddenly net 30K+ more sales at launch.

I suspect that people who play Fire Emblem largely just don't care about games like this, and it's not like anything in the Musou series is doing particularly well lately either, so there's not really a "Musou buyers" market to prop something like this up otherwise.

Mory Dunz

This may be a sin against Fire Emblem because I don't play them or know anything about the characters.....

but if the first trailer I saw was something like Roy, Ike, Ryoma (?), and Lyn (?) all ticked off at each other and fighting in a scene, I'd be more interested in the game.

I don't really get why FEW didn't span the whole series. Instead of wanting to do a sequel with other titles they should have just made 1 game with everything. Maybe I'm just dumb or uninformed but how are Roy and Ike not in the base game? Why wouldn't every smash bros character default be in?
Because Koei Tecmo and Intelligent Systems didn't understand who were popular. Honestly, the character inclusions from Awakening feel like they just played the game's prologue and added the first characters they saw. Most people don't care about Frederick or Lissa that much.

duckroll

Bad sales of FE but who really cares. Bad sales for Sen 3 are more worrying though. Not enough fans are moving to the PS4. Falcom overestimated their fanbase's willingness to go all in on an exclusive. The low sales of the PS4 ports for TX and Ys8 should have given them a clue. Goodbye 200k cash cow. Goodbye Kiseki series. Etc.

Ridley327

I imagine it was being pushed by Nintendo as a year 1 game, which meant that there were only so many roster picks and maps that they could get done in that time period. From what I've seen on the streams, the game is still a surprisingly robust game when it comes to content, but I think that having a smaller focus helped out with that.

lyrick

Because Koei Tecmo and Intelligent Systems didn't understand who were popular. Honestly, the character inclusions from Awakening feel like they just played the game's prologue and added the first characters they saw. Most people don't care about Frederick or Lissa that much.

Do the included characters align to the results of the hero battles on Mobile [Fire Emblem Heroes]?

I don't think the game's flop has much to do with its roster. The game (or any musou game in general tbph) just look bland and boring af; I don't think any roster "improvement" will change that. Plus, the Awakening and Fates characters are popular enough in Japan; I don't think there are that much complaint regarding roster in the Japanese community.

Releasing it after FE Switch on the other hand is what might actually help, in raising both awareness and interest level.

See, I disagree. For a game like this, the roster is going to be one of the main things people focus on, its what people want to see. They want to see their favorite characters and this game ignored a bunch of popular ones.

kewlmyc

nice increase for Switch

and it's software too

disappointing FEW sales. especially for a two platforms release.
i guess they had it coming

zelda in japan during the wii-u era vs FE after awakening , fates and heroes
don't know if FE would be the less popular series of the two

Damn, why is FEW so expensive compared to the other Nintendo releases?

Vena

I honestly don't think putting in Roy and Ike would suddenly net 30K+ more sales at launch.

I suspect that people who play Fire Emblem largely just don't care about games like this, and it's not like anything in the Musou series is doing particularly well lately either, so there's not really a "Musou buyers" market to prop something like this up otherwise.

While "Roy + Ike = 30k more sales" is unlikely, I think if they had openned the first introduction with Roy, Bad Ike, Lyn, and, say, Lucina, then I think the narrative would have kicked off on a much better foot for the title in the long run and maybe helped its sales.

But it would probably still be minor, this title doesn't feel like it works all that well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bad sales of FE but who really cares. Bad sales for Sen 3 are more worrying though. Not enough fans are moving to the PS4. Falcom overestimated their fanbase's willingness to go all in on an exclusive. The low sales of the PS4 ports for TX and Ys8 should have given them a clue. Goodbye 200k cash cow. Goodbye Kiseki series. Etc.

I'm expecting a lot of series to start fading out as we make the transition from last gen to this one.

The biggest issue though is that there aren't new brands coming in to replace them.

Disappointing but expected results for FEW and Trails of Cold Steel 3. I was interested in FEW at its reveal but honestly after the roster reveal I’ve slowly lost interest. I’ll still get the game eventually but maybe not at launch anymore.

Good hold for Pokken, and nice increases for MK8D, Splatoon 2 and Zelda. The latter should hit 600k and outsell Majora’s Mask on Switch alone (at retail).

Great boost for Switch. Odyssey week is going to be insane.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Noones talking about it turning into some big success more that this game was a hard sell in the first place and they somehow managed to turn it into a harder sell.

A better roster would've helped. I honestly have no idea how much that would matter in terms of increased sales numbers, but the excitement from the core fanbase would be higher, which would mean more excitement and word of mouth overall.
This may be a sin against Fire Emblem because I don't play them or know anything about the characters.....

but if the first trailer I saw was something like Roy, Ike, Ryoma (?), and Lyn (?) all ticked off at each other and fighting in a scene, I'd be more interested in the game.
No, you are right. As a huge FE fan, that would've gotten me more excited right off the bat.

see my reply to your previous post. tell me how any of awakening side of the story can be recreated nicely, or at least the theme in which when you first play it in warriors you can briefly recall it with fan favourite chara like lon'qu or donnel just like you suggested earlier

I just wanna make it clear that I dont think the roster is why the game is doing bad. I think the product just looks boring but that is just a part of it. Still though, Smash Bros is the biggest fighting game series for the last like 3 generations, how would you not include the characters of a series where the last 3 iterations sold like 30 million copies?

Forgeting the domestic market, worldwide wouldn't this just be obvious?

The most popular characters would be the ones that appeared in Smash Bros as a starting point wouldn't they? You know, Ike, Roy, Marth, Lucina, Lyn? I dunno how that isn't immediately obvious.

duckroll

It basically sold about what my expectations were given the switch in platforms mid-arc. Disappointing compared to releasing on two platforms? Sure. But not entirely unexpected at all, especially given that it's on PS4 there as a single platform SKU.

The quality of the gameplay/presentation has greatly improved thanks to the move imo, and I've really been enjoying the game so far.

But....

01./00. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2011.09.29} (¥6.090) - 127.938 / NEW

jman2050

Yep this is exactly what I was aftaid of regarding Sen 3 sales. PS4-only releases simply aren’t going to cut it for most JPN publishers and they need to get their act together sooner rather than later.

duckroll

Yep this is exactly what I was aftaid of regarding Sen 3 sales. PS4-only releases simply aren’t going to cut it for most JPN publishers and they need to get their act together sooner rather than later.

On the other hand if they can keep selling with word of mouth and release Sen 4 within a year, maybe we'll see growth. :p

see my reply to your previous post. tell me how any of awakening side of the story can be recreated nicely, or at least the theme in which when you first play it in warriors you can briefly recall it with fan favourite chara like lon'qu or donnel just like you suggested earlier
This is a fanservice game first and foremost, if you are including less popular characters for 'story reasons' you are already starting off on the wrong foot. I have absolutely 0 expectations for the story for this game, but I had expectations for the characters, and I was let down. I would guess that is true for most of the core FE fanbase. Sacrificing popular character picks for the roster in service of whatever crap story this game is going to have is just dumb.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.

100% agreed. This is why I didn't say anything about FE. Lost interest in the roster and the game so I don't care if it flops. I'm sure Hayashi will find something else to produce with that staff.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Nintendo should exercise some restraint with the Fire Emblem series and stop Yo-kai Watching it with all these dumbass spin-offs/crossovers.

I think they believed FE heroes would help grow the franchises retail sales much like it did with Pokémon (though that was mostly worldwide rather than in Japan). I don't think that actually happened and I feel like a number of FE fans were satisfied with just FEH.

With the success of the switch I'm not sure Nintendo will bother to try this this strategy much more beyond the announced titles.

It's in line with the Vita sales, but in addition there are 60k-65k sales on PS3, so it's a drop of over 40% compared to 1 and 2.

Edit: Compare this:

Ah okay, I see why now. Misguided on Falcon's part. I don't see anything in Sen III that facilitates making it a PS4 exclusive anyway.

duckroll

Will this Sen 4 be on a handheld or a mobile device?

PS4.

They want to recreate this legend:
2010 - 04./00. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 84.360 / NEW
2011 - 01./00. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2011.09.29} (¥6.090) - 127.938 / NEW

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ah okay, I see why now. Misguided on Falcon's part. I don't see anything in Sen III that facilitates making it a PS4 exclusive anyway.

Vita is dead they're trying to unsuccessfully force the transition since it would have to happen anyway. Only other choices are pc release or mobile/switch.

Mory Dunz

I think they believed FE heroes would help grow the franchises retail sales much like it did with Pokémon (though that was mostly worldwide rather than in Japan). I don't think that actually happened and I feel like a number of FE fans were satisfied with just FEH.

With the success of the switch I'm not sure Nintendo will bother to try this this strategy much more beyond the announced titles.

I dunno. Maybe FEW just wasn't appealing.

I think we may be sleeping on FE.
A part of me still thinks FE Switch will be huge

edit:
oh yea Echoes came out. Well not sure what to say about that.
It's western performance wasn't bad right? I forget

FEW is a game literally nobody asked for.

I thought it would've been cool.....if I got that cutscene I wanted.

Aters

FEW is a game literally nobody asked for.

I'd be so pissed if Falcom just drop the series like that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Fire Emblem Heroes is actually a strategy game, which is a natural fit for the series.

Echoes is a filler game that was also part of Nintendo's misguided late-life 3DS software push, though by the standard of how that has been going, it did outperform most of the rest of that idea.

When making stuff like this, you really want to be considering what your audience might want and using strong, global market research to determine what you should and shouldn't go for, rather than just trying to feel it out.

I'll point to Monster Hunter Stories as another misguided product that went "Well our brand is good in category A, so why not unrelated category Z!" and then tanked.

See, I disagree. For a game like this, the roster is going to be one of the main things people focus on, its what people want to see. They want to see their favorite characters and this game ignored a bunch of popular ones.

Yeah, the character selection isn't the greatest, but what's even worse are the MC designs. They're so boring.

Zedark

MHW seems to be doing notably better on COMG than DQXI PS4. Bodes well for now.

What method do you use to compare? MHW started preorders when it had an info blowout at TGS, while DQXI preorders were open before its event in April, but only then honestly started. So, I think a comparison of "100 days out for both" makes little sense in light of the above, for example. Do you use this method or some other approach?

Waji

PS4.

They want to recreate this legend:
2010 - 04./00. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Zero no Kiseki (Nihon Falcom) - 84.360 / NEW
2011 - 01./00. [PSP] Eiyuu Densetsu: Ao no Kiseki # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2011.09.29} (¥6.090) - 127.938 / NEW
Whatever they do, I'm not getting a PS4 for them.
So if they do that, goodbye.

StormKing

This is a fanservice game first and foremost, if you are including less popular characters for 'story reasons' you are already starting off on the wrong foot. I have absolutely 0 expectations for the story for this game, but I had expectations for the characters, and I was let down. I would guess that is true for most of the core FE fanbase. Sacrificing popular character picks for the roster in service of whatever crap story this game is going to have is just dumb.

Exactly. For crossover games like Fire Emblem Warriors, roster is paramount. Gameplay, narrative, and graphical quality are not the major selling points. Killing mooks with your favorite character is. A bad roster makes a game like this pointless.

Nyoro SF

While I was hoping for greater than 100k FW this FW for Sen 3 does fall back much closer to Falcom's previous Kiseki releases on PSP. It was only beginning with Sen 1 and the dual platforms that their sales skyrocketed above the norm for them.

Here's hoping it doesn't affect Falcom and we can continue on with their PS4 releases. Kondo commented that the PS4 was far easier to develop for thanks to its specs, though they had to rely on outside contractors for the first time to develop graphical assets.

Kiseki will be fine, stop trolling duckroll! :p

So half of Xenoverse 2’s PS4 LTD would be a pretty good result for the Switch version right? It seems to have decent legs so far, but we’ll see how they are in the coming weeks (especially with the news of the Deluxe version).

wrowa

220k to 120k would be a big drop. 200 to 150k wouldn't be a big drop.

You are comparing the lowest number for Sen 2 with the highest number of Sen 3 (of the ranges you posted) and you still end up with Sen 3 selling 25% less than Sen 2. That’s your best case. I really don’t see how a minimum drop of 25% can be considered as not “big”.

Top Bottom