• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

Bebpo

Banned
Sen III's been receiving much better feedback from some players, here and elsewhere, who felt burned after CS II. The game legitimately takes advantage of the PS4 in terms of image quality and sheer size, with much less content cut due to Vita cart memory restrictions or rushed development. Falcom chose PS4 because they want to transition their audience to a platform where they can actually improve the quality of their games.

I like Sen 3 (33 hours in right now, better than Sen 1, worse than Sen 2 so far), but this is really over selling the visuals. Yeah, it has good IQ and isn't jaggy/pixelated looking, and it has some slightly better visuals and depth of field effects in talking to people/cutscenes, but the game still looks like a mid-tier PS3 game. I'm pretty sure they could make some changes and port it to Vita if they tried. A switch port would should have zero downgrade in the visuals. I mean on a system where you have stuff like DQXI, it's night & day.

Next game after Sen 4, Falcom should switch to middleware like UE4.0 imo.

random25

I agree 60k isn't that bad, but at least for me the fatigue works the other way around. I can't keep up with the pace that FE games are being released.
- FE Fates in February 2016 (June 2015 in JP).
- TMS #FE in June 2016 (December 2015 in JP).
- FE Heroes in February 2017.
- FE Echoes in May 2017 (April 2017 in JP).
- FE Warriors in October 2017 (September in JP).
- FE Switch in 2018.

It seems like they greenlighted a lot of projects after Awakening that, coincidentally or not, released in such a short span of time.

I mean, yeah, Awakening and Fates had good numbers, but not to justify this number of games. They have to rethink the cadence of releases or they could burn the fanbase (that hasn't shown signs of increasing much more after Awakening and Fates) the same way YW did.

To be fair, a lot of those are spin-offs. Barely anybody played TMS #FE and FE Heroes plays differently than the traditional game (plus people probably play it in short bursts compared to console games). If you're just aiming for the main series, then there's really a good spacing in between games in Japan.

Aters

Wow...seriously, this much ohnoez gloom and doom for Sen III? I expected this kind of drop, and I bet Falcom did also. That's why they've really pushed the game in China and Taiwan because those markets are going to support the PS4 in ways Japanese audiences can't. The number here's also much higher than previous Falcom PS4 releases, and it's the third entry in its series just to make things harder for anyone wanting to start on the newest, coolest entry locked by story.

CS2 had simultaneous release in Chinese, CS3 does not, and there isn't even a release date yet. Such great push for Asia market. Also one thing I can assure you is that the brand is not as loved as before in China after the horrible CS2. I expect a steep drop in Asia, maybe even steeper than Japan. People in China love their habdheld just like Japan do.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The Switch bump is just because of more supplies?

Same strategy Nintendo has followed for the entire year. They hold back stock for major software launches like this. You'll see another one for odyssey. The supply Is substantially supply constrained and thus It's weekly sales are literally just what Nintendo decides to ship.

lyrick

So you care more about the platform instead of the games? Okay...

When a few movie studios decided to go HD-DVD only, choosing to not purchase a dedicated format player that doesn't fit your needs doesn't magically imply that you're not a fan of their movies.

Limiting media to exclusive formats when trends are moving toward other formats is a shit business strategy. These Companies need to be reminded that the supply side of the Market doesn't decide what consumers ultimately choose to purchase.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
The Switch bump is just because of more supplies?
Not directed to you but since we have the same question at almost every thread, innocent or trolling, Switch sales are since launch and will remain at least until December supply determined.

Waji

Sen III's been receiving much better feedback from some players, here and elsewhere, who felt burned after CS II. The game legitimately takes advantage of the PS4 in terms of image quality and sheer size, with much less content cut due to Vita cart memory restrictions or rushed development. Falcom chose PS4 because they want to transition their audience to a platform where they can actually improve the quality of their games.
I don't doubt "visual quality" I'm thinking writing.
It's much worse than the first ones and I mostly always prioritize that over anything.
Plus the gameplay is much easier. The hardest difficulty of Sen games is like normal-hard of previous ones at best.

I'm really not the tech follower. I just want good games (or to be more accurate, games I appreciate, because some games are excellent but not for me, as it is for anyone).

To be fair, a lot of those are spin-offs. Barely anybody played TMS #FE and FE Heroes plays differently than the traditional game (plus people probably play it in short bursts compared to console games). If you're just aiming for the main series, then there's really a good spacing in between games in Japan.
Agreed, the Fire Emblem saturation is only an issue in the West, and that's largely because it took so long for Fates to come out here, something like 8 months after Japanese release iirc.

kswiston

Fire Emblem Heroes has also more than justified its existence. It's probably the highest grossing game in the franchise by now.

Waji

Come on....

I think people really need to play some horrible games from time to time to gain some perspective, lol.
It is kinda "horrible", but only compared to what Ao was building.
Clearly overall it's still pretty good Jrpg, especially as the genre hasn't really been in a good situation for a long time.

I guess the view point is very different from western players since the series wasn't released in the same way.

KooopaKid

Banned
Not directed to you but since we have the same question at almost every thread, innocent or trolling, Switch sales are since launch and will remain at least until December supply determined.

No I'm curious, for Splatoon 2 I knew about a bigger shipment. So same here for FE I suppose?

Bebpo

Banned
I was hoping for those 100k Sen 3 sales, but oh well.

Maybe legs are a bit better because of platform transition, and the future release of 1+2 compilation on ps4 should help too.

To each its own, but I consider a huge overreaction those posts about quality of kiseki dropping. Sen I+II are imo better games than Sora FC+SC, and while I can't comment on Zero/Ao, they all are still high quality games regardless of which one you prefer even if you're triggered by headpatting memes.

The series is trying to grow outside of Japan too, so I think Falcom is going to be fine.

It's definitely a little harder to see the drop without having playing Zero/Ao. Zero/Ao pushed the franchise forward in a ton of directions, from characters to pacing, to music, to combat, to story/story/story movement. Sen is a big step back so far. It's going to take 4 games to do the equivalent of 2 games worth of story that Zero/Ao gave and that's just on the story-side.

It is kinda "horrible", but only compared to what Ao was building.
Clearly overall it's still pretty good Jrpg, especially as the genre hasn't really been in a good situation for a long time.

I guess the view point is very different from western players since the series wasn't released in the same way.

I wouldn't say the drop was horrible. But it was definitely a big step down. If the Sky trilogy was like a 8-9/10 overall, Zero/Ao was 9-10/10 overall and Sen 1/2 so far is like a 7-8/10 so far. It definitely doesn't help that Rean and crew are a huge step down from the Sora cast of Estelle & crew, and the Zero/Ao cast of Lloyd & crew. I think Sen's cast is a good example of why a huge cast of archtypes and tropes < a smaller cast of well developed likeable characters.

CS2 had simultaneous release in Chinese, CS3 does not, and there isn't even a release date yet. Such great push for Asia market. Also one thing I can assure you is that the brand is not as loved as before in China after the horrible CS2. I expect a steep drop in Asia, maybe even steeper than Japan. People in China love their habdheld just like Japan do.

Yeah, luckily I said in my early Sen 3 impressions, Sen 3 is pretty convservatively budgeted. Falcom didn't go crazy with this entry making an awesome graphics full voiced big budget entry. I have some complaints with how low budget the game feels.

Maybe that was the right call. Sen 3+4 sales should be enough even at these kind of numbers (don't forget to add like 10% digital sales, so probably closer to 100k opening, I got Sen 1/2 physical and Sen 3 digital for example), but these sales definitely will not sustain the series going forward to support another 3 years development to the next game after that. There will need to be a change for the next arc.

Laplasakos

You're not on the right topic here.

1) I cared about the series before Sen lost quality (regarding what I think was top quality in the previous titles).

2) I don't see much I want to play on PS4, it's not related to the platform itself but games of course.

3) Since I'm not as "in love" in the kiseki series as I was until Ao, I obviously can't really buy a PS4 just for that. It's not enough a reason for me to purchase the system, that's it.

4) I'm used to play this series on Vita (portable) and if I had to chose I'd prefer to wait and (if ever it came to it) play new games on PC since it's also getting most PS4 games anyway.

Don't try to make it look like it's a console war thing. The system I played the most on before Switch was the Vita, easily (and PS1 and 2 were insane back then). I just didn't see much I like on PS3 and 4, that's it. I always bought systems for their games.
I mean... I don't like any Xbox exclusives normaly but still got a 360 back then because I saw tri-Ace games coming on it.

I am not trying to make it look like it's a console war thing (don't know why you are getting this impression) i just found strange your comment. Now that you explained your reasons, i can see why you don't want to buy a PS4.

I own a PS4. I only play RPGs on handhelds.

Ok. Personally i like playing on both (home consoles and portables). Although i must say, not playing RPGs that are exclusive on home consoles, you are missing a lot of fun. Just a tip to a fellow gamer ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
Whats was the drop?
~5 million to ~300k, about 94% drop. Knack 2 will highly likely have a bigger drop percentage wise. Knack 1 did about 400k, so Knack 2 needs to sell about 25k to have the same drop percentage wise. Unless theres a bundle with Knack 2, its unlikely to sell 25k. I do think a drop from e.g 1 million to 100k is a lot more noticeable and severe than dropping from 10k to 1k though, depsite both those cases being a 90% drop.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, a lot of those games hit different notes and some are even different genres. So I don't think there's fatigue in that regard.

you could do something similar for Zelda since 2015 if you wanted

Majora's Mask 3D
Triforce Heroes
Twilight Princess HD
Hyrule Warriors
Hyrule Warriors Legends
Breath of the Wild

or Mario with the Karts, Parties, Tennis, Platformers, RPGs, Strategy games, etc.

Waji

It's definitely a little harder to see the drop without having playing Zero/Ao. Zero/Ao pushed the franchise forward in a ton of directions, from characters to pacing, to music, to combat, to story/story/story movement. Sen is a big step back so far. It's going to take 4 games to do the equivalent of 2 games worth of story that Zero/Ao gave and that's just on the story-side.
I second that. Ao no Kiseki was basically my most loved RPG with Xenoblade in the past years.

Zero + Ao made an amazing duo no RPG fan should miss on.
It just felt like we were back during the best years of the Jrpg.

Aters

Come on....

I think people really need to play some horrible games from time to time to gain some perspective, lol.

Every Trails thread in every gaming forum in China turned into a CS2 shitting thread for the last three years.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
~5 million to ~300k, about 94% drop. Knack 2 will highly likely have a bigger drop percentage wise. Knack 1 did about 400k, so Knack 2 needs to sell about 25k to have the same drop percentage wise. Unless theres a bundle with Knack 2, its unlikely to sell 25k. I do think a drop from e.g 1 million to 100k is a lot more noticeable and severe than dropping from 10k to 1k though, depsite both those cases being a 90% drop.

This is true but you also have to consider profitability and economies of sale. a drop of 1 million to 100 k will still be a net profit for the game in spite of a a massive and I mean massive revenue drop. a drop from 10k to 1k means losses become likely and you won't be seeing that series again.

Reki

Oh, agreed. It's just that as a fan I'd like to play them all, although Revelation and TMS are on my backlog.

random25

Agreed, the Fire Emblem saturation is only an issue in the West, and that's largely because it took so long for Fates to come out here, something like 8 months after Japanese release iirc.

We're talking about a 3-year spacing between the main series starting from Awakening, FE Switch included (assuming it's 2018). That's a pretty long wait actually.

Fire Emblem Heroes has also more than justified its existence. It's probably the highest grossing game in the franchise by now.

No question. Easy money for the series owners.

duckroll

Falcom chose PS4 because they want to transition their audience to a platform where they can actually improve the quality of their games.

If they really cared about that they would have moved on to a new Kiseki series arc and get a fresh start with a new interesting cast instead of doing another sequel to Light Novel Rean and his Amazing Genericlassmates. Improve quality of head patting and hot springs incest maybe.

kswiston

Hopefully this is the last for fucking Fates characters

Nope. FE Heroes still vastly favors Awakening/Fates whenever they do seasonal alt costume characters.

edit: you could field a whole 4-person team of Lucinas (even if one is called masked Marth), but there is still only 1 Hector.

There are 3 Xanders as well.

Bebpo

Banned
I second that. Ao no Kiseki was basically my most loved RPG with Xenoblade in the past years.

Zero + Ao made an amazing duo no RPG fan should miss on.
It just felt like we were back during the best years of the Jrpg.

Yeah, I'd agree that Xenoblade and Zero/Ao are the best jrpgs from the last decade.

Gameplay-wise, I'm still bummed we lost partner S-crafts. Hoping that'll be the final battle sub-system they add in Sen 4. I get why it's harder to do that with such a large cast in Sen, but I really liked characters working together for S-crafts, felt it added something as a team. The link system of generic attacking really isn't the same.

Nyoro SF

A lot of us are talking from ignorance here regarding Kiseki. We have no idea if development costs have been saved by restricting themselves to one platform with better specs (where Falcom has commented that it's easier to develop for since there are way fewer hardware restrictions) . We have no idea how good the overseas console sales for the series are good enough to make up for dropping a dead portable platform.

Late ports of RPGs (especially sequels), even with added bonus features, have trouble selling; the Switch isn't going to help in this scenario.

If they really cared about that they would have moved on to a new Kiseki series arc and get a fresh start with a new interesting cast instead of doing another sequel to Light Novel Rean and his Amazing Genericlassmates. Improve quality of head patting and hot springs incest maybe.

I know you are just trolling, but Ao had way worse stuff than hot spring sharing. I won't spoil it but suffice to say if Ao was released as a modern game today there would probably be a 200 page GAF thread with 5,000,000 views about the intermission scenes.

vareon

I still think Fates' 3 version thingy was not a great idea. Can't articulate why, though. But I think Nintendo has the numbers to prove me wrong.

Still writing up a response to your megapost, Bebpo.

Yeah, luckily I said in my early Sen 3 impressions, Sen 3 is pretty convservatively budgeted. Falcom didn't go crazy with this entry making an awesome graphics full voiced big budget entry. I have some complaints with how low budget the game feels.

Maybe that was the right call. Sen 3+4 sales should be enough even at these kind of numbers (don't forget to add like 10% digital sales, so probably closer to 100k opening, I got Sen 1/2 physical and Sen 3 digital for example), but these sales definitely will not sustain the series going forward to support another 3 years development to the next game after that. There will need to be a change for the next arc.
Falcom needs to change for Calvard, that's for sure. They're historically good at taking feedback and criticism, then crafting a new and better set of releases by addressing what went wrong previously. Ys VIII shows this in particular (and I know you won't agree, but a lot of people who didn't like Celceta think much better of this entry.) I think moving away from blatant school-based premises and pushing simultaneous international sales will help make up for decline in the domestic market; even without that kind of launch in China, I can't see the sales dipping by a worse percentage vs. Japan. Ports of the Sen arc should also help their bottom-line for years to come.

If Falcom goes with a Rocksmith Agency premise for Calvard or similar, they'll already have a better head start than Sen I. And their rough move to fully polygonal console games seems to have stabilized, meaning they'll take more risks and not feel they have to simplify or avoid certain writing topics/themes because of a new audience.

I'm really not the tech follower. I just want good games (or to be more accurate, games I appreciate, because some games are excellent but not for me, as it is for anyone).
Sure, I agree with you. Have you played Sen III yet, at all, or looked at streams showing the writing? I'm reading much more positive impressions about writing in the GAF import thread vs. what Sen II got. The game seems like a big improvement and return to form, even if that won't salvage many disappointments from the last two games.

Really I'm just annoyed at the unending fatalism in Falcom discussions like this. Their biggest problem, if anything, comes from having only 40 active developers which outsourcing can't bolster that much. Having to constantly anticipate and learn to develop on new consoles (plus obtaining dev kits and errata) doesn't help either. Okay, here's what I was working on:

It was smart doing the past games as 2 part arcs, that way it never gets to 3 and encounters the declining sales of people who won't jump in because it's the third game. It also let them start fresh for new audiences every 3rd game. The games also came out fairly quickly (every 2 years generally or less) and were ported multiple times for maximum profits.

Agreed, but it's also a lot more money than Falcom's ever made. The company really doesn't expand to match sales results or expectations, which would land them in a much worse position financially. I'm not sure how well 3rd did, but that game seems like it wasn't too major for the company since they were also working on Brandish: The Dark Revenant, two versions of Ys Seven (PC and console), Vantage Master Portable and Zwei!! PSP, and Zwei: II from late 2006 to late 2008.

Instead they drag out Sen's storyline from 2-> 4 games over like 7-8 years of dev because HD is hard and get a worse game because the pacing, struggle with retaining players over that long of time, and even by Sen 3 on ps4 the game still looks ugly than it did pre-3d in Ao no Kiseki on psp. Going 3d was the wrong direction imo. I feel like Sen 1&2's 140k openings from Ao's 130k opening was more an increase because Ao was fucking awesome and less an increase because of the transition to ugly 3d.

Only graphics complaint I see with Sen III is animation reuse and a lack of wildly choreographed battle event scenes which Falcom had perfected with Ao. The actual environments, modeling, lighting and effects have greatly increased with IQ to match. Designing Erebonia for a more manipulable camera, too, isn't easy when you maybe a few people actively working on controls and level design.

Ao's success would only do so much. Sen's premise really appealed to new, younger players on Vita which Falcom hadn't quite captured yet. The fact that Sen I sold a lot more than Zero tells me this; anyone who knows the series can expect the first game to be much less exciting, too, which affects sales.

Likewise word of mouth probably hurts Sen 2 didn't see a drop because it was the second half of the story a year later and everyone who played needed to see the second part, but now it's been 3 years and the word has spread that Sen wasn't that great and a big step down from Zero/Ao.

And what if word of mouth about Sen III really improving over the last two games helps it? I'm not gonna deny the launch sales are a big drop, but word of mouth trickles slow for this series just in general.

Waji

Yeah, I'd agree that Xenoblade and Zero/Ao are the best jrpgs from the last decade.

Gameplay-wise, I'm still bummed we lost partner S-crafts. Hoping that'll be the final battle sub-system they add in Sen 4. I get why it's harder to do that with such a large cast in Sen, but I really liked characters working together for S-crafts, felt it added something as a team. The link system of generic attacking really isn't the same.
I agree. And even if it was a little more "complicated" I liked the relation system better than in Sen.
It was less obvious but also more coherent and the characters were more likable I think.

I mean, in Sen 2, the only moment I really cared was
when I played with Lloyd and Rixia to kick the ass of this stupidly bad Rean character.
Which is why I prefer to forget about the series for now. I just can buy a system I don't want especially for that, it's just not good enough anymore.

I was probably one of the biggest fan of the series a few years earlier as I actually wrote guides in French for some people to finish Japanese-only Kiseki, but after seeing what they did with the Sen arc, I just lost the motivation and stopped in the middle of my last project.

Aters

I know you are just trolling, but Ao had way worse stuff than hot spring sharing. I won't spoil it but suffice to say if Ao was released as a modern game today there would probably be a 200 page GAF thread with 5,000,000 views about the intermission scenes.

Fan service is not the problem. P4G has the shittiest of them all and GAF love it. The problem is what remains when you strip away the fan service. Ao has a lot of good stuff.

bDfM97I.png

test_account

XP-39C²
This is true but you also have to consider profitability and economies of sale. a drop of 1 million to 100 k will still be a net profit for the game in spite of a a massive and I mean massive revenue drop. a drop from 10k to 1k means losses become likely and you won't be seeing that series again.
That depends on what the breaking even point is. If the breaking point is e.g 800k, then selling only 100k would mean a lot bigger loss of money than if the breaking point was 8k (related to 10k to 1k example). It doesnt necessarily have to be about profitability either, but also looking at the drop in popularity as well.

When it comes to Knack 2 and Devilish Brain Training (DBT) in specific about profitability however, japanese sales alone then DBT is more favoritable in that regards. I dont think we'll see a sequel to either game regardless.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I still think Fates' 3 version thingy was not a great idea. Can't articulate why, though. But I think Nintendo has the numbers to prove me wrong.

Fates 3 numbers worked out great I think. The issue is it makes it difficult to judge growth from Awakening to fates since there's 2 different retail sku's (and a 3rd digital though that wouldn't really impact it since you need 1 of the others), in comparison to just Awakening.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That depends on what the breaking even point is. If the breaking point is e.g 800k, then selling only 100k would mean a lot bigger loss of money than if the breaking point was 8k (related to 10k to 1k example). It doesnt necessarily have to be about profitability either, but also looking at the drop in popularity as well.

When it comes to Knack 2 and Devilish Brain Training (DBT) in specific about profitability however, japanese sales alone then DBT is more favoritable.

That's true but that's also why I mentioned economies of scales. Cost ramp down as numbers ramp up. You do not want to get yourself stuck with tiny production orders. This is also Japan centric. There's very few games with a break even of 800k even within those that even sell 1 million. The number with break even higher than 1k is muuuuch much higher.

Waji

Sure, I agree with you. Have you played Sen III yet, at all, or looked at streams showing the writing? I'm reading much more positive impressions about writing in the GAF import thread vs. what Sen II got. The game seems like a big improvement and return to form, even if that won't salvage many disappointments from the last two games.

Really I'm just annoyed at the unending fatalism in Falcom discussions like this. Their biggest problem, if anything, comes from having only 40 active developers which outsourcing can't bolster that much.
Problem is I don't have a PS4 and I'm not interested in getting one.
Second, it's not about Sen 3 only but also Sen 1 and 2 as well as Tokyo Xanadu and Ys 8.

After playing these 4 games (1, 2, TX, Ys8), I just felt like they were merging everything together when it comes to writing and organising event scenes.
It's a little hard to explain but the summary would be that I felt they were completely losing the identity of every game to make some kind of "every games is a Sen" game with just a few differences in gameplay.

And since what they re-use is what I disliked in Sen, it creates an overdose.
Not to mention I had been playing Falcom games on PSP and Vita and the perspective of having to only play on home console is even less appealing.

Of course I'd like to try the new episodes, it's not like they look like FF 13 to me, but still, I don't have the money and all to do that. Especially when beside I see Xenoblade 2 coming. And Monolithsoft has yet to disappoint me.

Top Bottom