• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 39, 2017 (Sep 25 - Oct 01)

Vamphuntr

Really? I’m surprised they didn’t outsource them and have Kadokawa put out Evo full voice editions over the last year in that case.

Doesn’t make a lot of sense releasing them after 3...

It's probably fully voiced. Xseed is recording tons of voices for every characters in Sen II for the PC version right now. I doubt they are doing this only for the PC version as that seems expensive considering how much the first sold on PC.

Korigama

Probbly for the west most likely for people who only have Ps4 and the Sen 3 comes out but you need to play the first 2 to play that but that me assuming
Would most definitely say that playing the first two before the third is necessary. Being familiar with the Sky games also helps, as it leans into those much more than CS I and II did. Same for Zero and Ao, but those still don't have English releases yet, so...yeah. Anyone who starts with CS III will be completely lost.

Dragonmassag77

Neo Member
Would most definitely say that playing the first two before the third is necessary. Being familiar with the Sky games also helps, as it leans into those much more than CS I and II did. Same for Zero and Ao, but those still don't have English releases yet, so...yeah. Anyone who starts with CS III will be completely lost.
Lol image if some just went in to Sen 3 Raw width no knowledge of the series they be so lost especially at the end. Bless Xseed

PK Gaming

Falcom ditching their handheld audience was a mistake.

Considering how much they had to compromise with CS1/2 by adding handheld ports, I don't agree. Sen III definitely benefits from being console only, even if it'll suffer for it sales wise (which I'm sure they'll recoup with the eventual international releases)

Bebpo

Banned
Falcom ditching their handheld audience was a mistake.

It is interesting when you think about how they are small time PC developers with a fan following, but it was the PSP aka the handhelds that allowed them to branch out and become more successful and mainstream.

Considering how much they had to compromise with CS1/2 by adding handheld ports, I don't agree. Sen III definitely benefits from being console only, even if it'll suffer for it sales wise (which I'm sure they'll recoup with the eventual international releases)

What did they even compromise in 1&2 because of vita? I can't think of anything. The IQ increase in Sen 3 is because of PS4 and would not have been possible on PS3 anyhow. Fighting enemies on the map doesn't make much of a gameplay/presentation difference.
1&2 felt like PS3 games that weren't held back for Vita. Especially since the Vita version ran at like 5fps sometimes which felt like they just dumped the PS3 game on Vita and let it be a slideshow in some areas.

fortunato

Banned
Fire Emblem Heroes is actually a strategy game, which is a natural fit for the series.

Echoes is a filler game that was also part of Nintendo's misguided late-life 3DS software push, though by the standard of how that has been going, it did outperform most of the rest of that idea.

When making stuff like this, you really want to be considering what your audience might want and using strong, global market research to determine what you should and shouldn't go for, rather than just trying to feel it out.

I'll point to Monster Hunter Stories as another misguided product that went "Well our brand is good in category A, so why not unrelated category Z!" and then tanked.

I think that these two examples were simply the right games at the wrong time.

Fire Emblem Warriors is a fanservice game releasing on a new platform with no Fire Emblem games, and on a revision of a system that people haven't bought to play Musou games (in fact the New 3DS version wasn't even advertised by Nintendo).

Monster Hunter Stories was sandwiched between Yo-kai Watch and Pokémon.

There were no predictions from before for M&L and either way sales for it and Pikmin are almost irrelevant.

From the notable 3DS releases this year Dragon Quest sold well but below expectations and MHXX sold well and matched (my) expectations. US/UM is next and final test for the system.

Some of those games underperformed but they were important to keep 3DS relevant in the market and in particular in retail stores, as Nintendo aimed at maintaining active this stream of revenues. Indeed, 3DS 2017 hardware sales are well above anyone's expectations.

Also, many of those games will keep selling during holidays as Pokémon aside 3DS doesn't have much. For example, I can totally see Pikmin selling above 200k when it's all said and done (on par with Pikmin 3). Mario Sport and Yoshi should have legs too.

Then, there were also overperformances. For example, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X is on track to outsell the previous entry. Same for the new Pro Baseball Famista.

Not so great, not so bad. Middle ground. If it manages to sell 150k in the end with digital, it will be a good result.

Cold Steel sold about 240k w/out digital; Cold Steel II sold about 220k w/out digital. 150k w/ digital would not a be good result.

Waji

Well CS 1 and 2 where suppose to be 1 game but they had to cut it in half for vita
Source ?

Doesn't change what I think of the story of Sen 1 and 2. Much weaker than the previous entries. And it was the same for too many aspects of the game.
When I played the 5 first games I didn't feel like (while playing) they had trouble developing the games, especially with Zero Ao maybe. The games were impressive in their own way and had such a strong and interesting identity. Sen 1 was more than slow paced and Sen 2 just awful for so many things. The events were killing any chapter peak all the time for me.

I'm sorry I'm so negative about it. The series was really a big deal for me. I mean, I named myself Waji so it's pretty obvious.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
So how much do you think Nintendo can raise the stock for the biggest weeks ? more than 200k?
You won't see 200k+ weeks before late November the earliest.

Odyssey week will be the next major one, something between 100 and 150k I guess. This quarter Nintendo gave priority to Japan since it was Splatoon main territoty, with Odyssey west will have the bigger share.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
That is one hell of a bump for the Switch. Glad it's doing well.

Waji

You won't see 200k+ weeks before late November the earliest.

Odyssey week will be the next major one, something between 100 and 150k I guess. This quarter Nintendo gave priority to Japan since it was Splatoon main territoty, with Odyssey west will have the bigger share.
I should have clarified I was thinking the exact same period you just wrote so it's good : P.
Well if it goes as you say I think it's quite ok already.
If they went 70k then 100k+ to finish close to 200k for December it would still be impressive. As long as there are no big drops in between.

But what matters is games. Hope overall the software has a good time so we can have a bright future.

Oregano

I still don't get why sales in West and/or Asia are treated as mutually exclusive.

In the case of Sen No Kiseki 3 it still has low production values for a PS4 game.

Ridley327

Surprised Fire Emblem sold so little. Is it any good?

The streamers that have been playing it seem to quite like it, and the impression I get from the import threads here and on other forums is that it's quite a nice package in terms of content and polish, though the universal complaint tends to be that there aren't enough unique characters in terms of general move sets. I still feel that they could have shifted characters around in terms of representation from the same games to get a little more diversification on that front, since we don't have any playable armored units or infantry spear users as of right now.

In any case, it sounds like a strong package overall and it seems like an easy shoe-in for the best of the recent Musou spinoffs, for as little as that actually means when it's up against the likes of Berserk Musou.

Bebpo

Banned
Wait, are you guys joking or does the ending of CS3 imply that a CS4 will happen? I thought (and hoped) CS3 would finally wrap up this arc.

CS1&2 is one game pt1&2 (Erebonia FC)
CS3&4 is one game pt1&2 (Erebonia SC)

Another reason why the post above about 1&2 being two games because of vita doesn’t make sense. No vita this time, still 2 games.

Fans have come up with a 100 excuses for why these games are split into two. I mean someone said just a few days ago it was because the Chinese localizers needed it, despite Chinese localization not started. Now it’s because Vita, or it’s because they ran out of time, or it’s because HD is hard, or it’s because too much story to tell, etc....

Maybe this is just how the planned the Erebonia games from the start as a 4 game series. The end.

Laplasakos

Cold Steel sold about 240k w/out digital; Cold Steel II sold about 220k w/out digital. 150k w/ digital would not a be good result.

No, these sales include digital. I still think 150k would be a good result but i am sure Falcom will let us know what they think of the sales in their next report, so we can see then.

Ridley327

Capcom seems determined to bomb this gen

There's so much riding on Monster Hunter World now that I doubt anything short of a Call of Duty 4-esque out-of-nowhere mega hit will satisfy them or their stockholders. It's of their own making, no doubt, but it's distressing to see how much weight one game has to bear for them.

Oregano

CS1&2 is one game pt1&2 (Erebonia FC)
CS3&4 is one game pt1&2 (Erebonia SC)

Another reason why the post above about 1&2 being two games because of vita doesn’t make sense. No vita this time, still 2 games.

Fans have come up with a 100 excuses for why these games are split into two. I mean someone said just a few days ago it was because the Chinese localizers needed it, despite Chinese localization not started. Now it’s because Vita, or it’s because they ran out of time, or it’s because HD is hard, or it’s because too much story to tell, etc....

Maybe this is just how the planned the Erebonia games from the start as a 4 game series. The end.

PepperyGiddyDrake-max-1mb.gif

nubbe

There's so much riding on Monster Hunter World now that I doubt anything short of a Call of Duty 4-esque out-of-nowhere mega hit will satisfy them or their stockholders. It's of their own making, no doubt, but it's distressing to see how much weight one game has to bear for them.

I'm confident MHW will do better than Lost Planet 3

kswiston

The streamers that have been playing it seem to quite like it, and the impression I get from the import threads here and on other forums is that it's quite a nice package in terms of content and polish, though the universal complaint tends to be that there aren't enough unique characters in terms of general move sets. I still feel that they could have shifted characters around in terms of representation from the same games to get a little more diversification on that front, since we don't have any playable armored units or infantry spear users as of right now.

In any case, it sounds like a strong package overall and it seems like an easy shoe-in for the best of the recent Musou spinoffs, for as little as that actually means when it's up against the likes of Berserk Musou.

I don't think that I have ever played a Musou game, despite a lot of temptation for both Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm going back and forth on FE Warriors. I'm a FE fan, and it sounds like the game could be fun if I don'5 have specific expectations.

PK Gaming

What did they even compromise in 1&2 because of vita? I can't think of anything. The IQ increase in Sen 3 is because of PS4 and would not have been possible on PS3 anyhow. Fighting enemies on the map doesn't make much of a gameplay/presentation difference.
1&2 felt like PS3 games that weren't held back for Vita. Especially since the Vita version ran at like 5fps sometimes which felt like they just dumped the PS3 game on Vita and let it be a slideshow in some areas.

For one, the non-insignificant amount of cut content for both CS1 and CS2 seem to point to this (Ymir, cut dialogue etc). I'm pretty sure they outright implied Western Erebonia was originally going to be a thing in CS2, and it's obvious they struggled with the Vita ports for the games.

Either way, what's present in Sen III definitely wouldn't work well at all on the Vita. There are too many events with a ridiculous amount of characters/objects that flood the screen.

EDIT: Sen III is much bigger in scope than CS1 & 2. They had to split it in half.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I don't think that I have ever played a Musou game, despite a lot of temptation for both Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm going back and forth on FE Warriors. I'm a FE fan, and it sounds like the game could be fun if I don'5 have specific expectations.

Musou's are incredibly awesome, for the first 10 mins to an hour then it starts getting repetitive as the issues of the AI etc become more apparent. The more recent games tend to address this more but that's the typical experience a lot of consumers have with musou's which contributes to the genre's generally negative word of mouth.

Eolz

How the hell did we get to 10 pages in one afternoon this time?
Just Sen 3 and a Warriors game?! Thought that was going to be calmer than last week lol.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
More importantly, where the heck are the famitsu numbers.

Vamphuntr

For one, the non-insignificant amount of cut content for both CS1 and CS2 seem to point to this (Ymir, cut dialogue etc). I'm pretty sure they outright implied Western Erebonia was originally going to be a thing in CS2, and it's obvious they struggled with the Vita ports for the games.

Either way, what's present in Sen III definitely wouldn't work well at all on the Vita. There are too many events with a ridiculous amount of characters/objects that flood the screen.

EDIT: Sen III is much bigger in scope than CS1 & 2. They had to split it in half.

They didn't even bother with the Vita version. The UI is not even resized or scaled so it looks good on a smaller screen (like the portraits and HP/EP bars). A game being too big and having to be split in two is like the perfect marketing excuse. The reason is that they need to make two games from the assets made like is usual for the series to make profits. For Sen III they had to make new assets since it's now on PS4 so they will milk those again in Sen 4. Since they are leaving Erebonia for Calavard after 4 they need to make new assets from scratch again.

It was always like this for the series with Sky FC/SC/3rd (Initally on PC) -> Zero/Ao (initially on PSP) -> Cold Steel I/II (initially PS3/Vita) -> Cold Steel III/IV (PS4)

So they need to make two games with the PS4 assets.

noshten

By November Switch will be around 2.1-2.3 million during November I expect them to be shipping >100K per week in Japan and keeping pace with 3DS launch aligned. December is the month where Switch will fall behind unless Nintendo ships over 1.5 million for December alone.
In any-case Switch is positioned to have a holiday that would outdo 3DS launch holiday and year it's just stock holding it back. Mainly because it has a much more attractive library it will also dominate the top 10 list for the year. On top of that as a device its far better than vanilla 3DS in every conceivable way.

2011 Top 10:

Code:
1	3DS	Mario Kart 7 - 1.082.391  Nintendo(01/12/2011)
2	3DS	Super Mario 3D Land - 1.042.511  Nintendo(03/11/2011)
3	PSP	Monster Hunter Portable 3rd -1.021.457  Capcom(01/12/2010)
4	3DS	Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 809.322  Capcom(10/12/2011)
5	PS3	Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 697.146	 Square Enix(15/12/2011)
6	PSP	Final Fantasy Type-0 - 696.428  Square Enix(27/10/2011)
7	WII	Rhythm Heaven Fever - 633.429  Nintendo(21/07/2011)
8	PS3	Tales of Xillia - 632.151  Bandai Namco(08/09/2011)
9	WII	Wii Sports Resort - 612.807  Nintendo(25/06/2009)
10	WII	Wii Party - 584.545  Nintendo(08/07/2010)

2017 Top 10:

Code:
1      3DS Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 1.733.552
2      3DS Monster Hunter XX - 1.640.005
3      PS4 Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 1.347.582
4      NSW Splatoon 2 - 1.190.563
5      NSW Mario Kart 8 - 720.741 
6      NSW The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 598.670
7      3DS Pokémon Sun / Moon - 527.862*
8      3DS Super Mario Maker - 397.656*
9      PS4 Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - 324.066*
10     PS4 NieR: Automata - 311.906*
*data until June 25th, 2017 from gamedatalibrary

With holidays still to come we are still likely to see:
- Splatoon 2 finishing at the very least double what MK7 did in 2011.
- Super Mario Odyssey finishing ahead of MK7 and Super Mario 3D Land due to bundling
- Mario Kart 8 Deluxe finishing ahead of MK7
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild finishing ahead of MH3U
- Perhaps another Switch game(1-2 Switch, MHXX or Arms etc) finishing in the top 10

On top of the much stronger library which costs more than 3DS games - there is also amiibos, ProControllers, JoyCons, JoyCon Grips, carrying cases etc Which ensures that as far as profitability goes even not looking at the relative price of hardware Switch is far more profitable. With the sub service rolling out next year it puts Nintendo in a very healthy place. Passing 10 million by the end of next year certainly looks plausible - 3DS was at 9,779,883 at the end of 2012.

Nyoro SF

I think the release reasoning of CS games is actually rather obvious.

CS1 -> dev troubles means that the full scope can't be finished (very obvious near the end of this game regarding Ymir and the emperor/nobles/reformists scenes), so a CS2 has to be made to complete the rest of the "first part" of the story. But they can't make a CS2 that's only 15-20 hours long because the fans would kill them. So they took CS2 and expanded it into a full RPG by adding tons of extra story scenes and significant battles in the game; but the pacing and foundation of both of those is wonky because they weren't meant to take place in such a different timeframe.

CS3 -> no longer any major dev troubles; familiarized with tools and 3D development. Now (according to feedback) we have a clean release that doesn't feel like scenes were cut short and tells a full story with a much more competent ending and sequel hook into the finale.

To explain it simply.... all signs point to an originally planned three-part series, with part 1 being Eastern Erebonia, part 2 being Western Erebonia, and with the finale game involving the whole country.

I don't think Falcom split it in half just because of memory restrictions. They were developing this game right up to the wire and the release of CS1 in Japan was a technical disaster with huge load times moving from zone to zone. That speaks to running out of time because of dev struggle.

they saw the falcom gang on neogaf and got scared

I don't think Famitsu and MC will offer different numbers for Sen 3 lol

Celine

Super Famicom Mini is out in a few hours.

Big lines and sales should be expected.
I hope Nintendo don't fuck this up like last year Famicom Classic Mini.
Of course I'm not expecting to meet demand out at launch but stocks need to be much higher through the holiday (in Japan and everywhere else).
Signs from the western launch seem positive.

WestEgg

Of course I'm not expecting to meet demand out at launch but stocks need to be much higher through the holiday (in Japan and everywhere else).

Anecdotal, but I was able to get one pretty easily from a Walmart. I got there about 5 hours early, but was way early. By the time midnight rolled around, they had barely just fillled the line for their 36 unit allocation. My understanding is that the other 3 Walmarts in the area, as well as the Target, Toys R Us, and Best Buy all had similar allocations, so that seems to have been a pretty healthy first shipment for my town, which is just an average sized Midwestern town.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

Famitsu Sales: Week 46, 2016 (Nov 07 - Nov 13)

Famicom Mini - 262.961 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Nov 2016 (Oct 31 - Nov 27)

Famicom Mini - 319.000 / NEW

Famitsu Sales: Dec 2016 (Nov 28 - Dec 25)

Famicom Mini - 248.000 / 567.000

WW sales were 1,5m until January 2017, 2,3m until April 2017. Nintendo will produce more units this time, at least 1m shipment should be doable just in Japan.

A huge opening for Super Famicom should be expected next week, maybe close to half million. According to sinobi reservations have been resumed many times from retailers and lotteries will also take place during launch at Thursday. Since it's not a limited run and will keep printed through 2018 recommendations are customers not pay more than MSRP for it.

Design and game selection seems to appeal to a wider range of people, popularity is greater than Famicom Mini.

Famitsu gave an early report for Famicom Mini first week sales, it should be the same this time.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201611/15120647.html

Madao

Where is this "Fire Emblem is more popular than Zelda in Japan" coming from? It's not even close.

i think it's a combination of Awakening spiking at relatively the same timeframe Skyward Sword sort of tanked and then the Wii U remasters selling so low. before BotW, things didn't look too hot for the main Zelda games.

Falcom could still make (or license) a portable version of CS3 at a later date, if they want. Like Atlus does with the Persona games, for example. A release on PC simultaneous or shortly after the western console release already is a lock. Now they only need to find the right localisation partner.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
i think it's a combination of Awakening spiking at relatively the same timeframe Skyward Sword sort of tanked and then the Wii U remasters selling so low. before BotW, things didn't look too hot for the main Zelda games.

I agree but...
Look at HW Vs TMS sales on the same platform

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Some of those games underperformed but they were important to keep 3DS relevant in the market and in particular in retail stores, as Nintendo aimed at maintaining active this stream of revenues. Indeed, 3DS 2017 hardware sales are well above anyone's expectations.

Also, many of those games will keep selling during holidays as Pokémon aside 3DS doesn't have much. For example, I can totally see Pikmin selling above 200k when it's all said and done (on par with Pikmin 3). Mario Sport and Yoshi should have legs too.

Then, there were also overperformances. For example, Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission X is on track to outsell the previous entry. Same for the new Pro Baseball Famista.

Late entries at 3DS life will be hard outselling other from years ago. These 3DS games will sell enough to give additional income to Nintendo and third parties, nothing more.

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 024. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.524) - 276.349 / 276.349
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 359. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.524) - 13.924 / 290.274
2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 000. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.524) - 345 / 290.619
2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 000. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.02.28} (¥5.524) - 100 / 290.719

2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 039. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥5.690) - 176.382 / 176.382
2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 073. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥5.690) - 100.966 / 277.348
2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 138. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2 <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.08.07} (¥5.690) - 50.940 / 328.288

2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 926. [3DS] Dragon Ball: Extreme Heroes W Pack {Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission \ Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission 2} <TBL> (Bandai Namco Games) {2015.12.17} (¥10.280) - 1.715 / 1.715

2013 CY {2012.12.31 - 2013.12.29} 043. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.700) - 212.311 / 212.311
2014 CY {2013.12.30 - 2014.12.28} 174. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.700) - 42.959 / 255.270
2015 CY {2014.12.29 - 2016.01.03} 253. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.700) - 21.265 / 276.535
2016 CY {2016.01.04 - 2017.01.01} 235. [WIU] Pikmin 3 <ACT> (Nintendo) {2013.07.13} (¥5.700) - 20.961 / 297.496

Switch will easily outsell Wii U LTD by the end of this year during the holidays. Very possible that both MK8DX and BOTW will become million sellers as well.

Once 3DS sales starts to fade, Switch will become a juggernaut in the japanese front. It's a great turn around, after the all the doomsaying about japanese dedicated gaming market was dying.

FIFA 18 and DBZ:XV2 are doing decently around there. DBZ's new shipment clearly indicates that it succeed Bandai-Namco expectations. Very high possibility for a DBFZ Switch announcement by now.

Top Bottom