• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 4, 2016 (Jan 25 - Jan 31)

Are those really the best selling Vita games? Eek.

I mean... this is Wii U in comparison: http://retrogamesheaven.com/wiiu.php (a bigger flop and a console in Japan)

Breaking news from 1983 : Nintendo games selling big on Nintendo platforms :D

Sony doesn't have any single huge IP in Japan, so to understand better the situation of the Vita, let's look again at this Wii U ranking from a third party perspective and... yeah, eek, indeed :p

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Breaking news from 1983 : Nintendo games selling big on Nintendo platforms :D

Sony doesn't have any single huge IP in Japan, so to understand better the situation of the Vita, let's look again at this Wii U ranking from a third party perspective and... yeah, eek, indeed :p

TBF it's a very similar problem, 3rd party games only sell mediocrely on the Vita so it only receives mediocre, popularity 3rd party games. The Wii U just plain doesn't recieve 3rd party games, so 3rd party games even the extremely rare few that exist just plain don't sell. The audience, that buys 3rd party games don't exist in the Wii u. The audience the bus mainstream third party games doesn't exist on the vita. The only reason that's begining to slightly change is well Minecraft.

Spiegel

TBF it's a very similar problem, 3rd party games only sell mediocrely on the Vita so it only receives mediocre, popularity 3rd party games. The Wii U just plain doesn't recieve 3rd party games, so 3rd party games even the extremely rare few that exist just plain don't sell. The audience, that buys 3rd party games don't exist in the Wii u. The audience the bus mainstream third party games doesn't exist on the vita. The only reason that's begining to slightly change is well Minecraft.

That makes little sense. You are implying that huge third party games sold mediocrely on Vita and it's why it only gets mediocre 3rd party games. Vita has never gotten a huge third party game.

The problem is that those huge third party franchises were better suited elsewhere (3DS and home consoles).

We can say that third party games have sold pretty much as expected for the most part, some a bit higher and some a bit lower, but no shocking performances except Minecraft (good) and maybe Phantasy Star Nova (bad).

mao2

Are those really the best selling Vita games? Eek.

I mean... this is Wii U in comparison: http://retrogamesheaven.com/wiiu.php (a bigger flop and a console in Japan)
bVuvvFA.jpg

Translation: The only thing that sells on a Nintendo hardware is Nintendo software.

That makes little sense. You are implying that huge third party games sold mediocrely on Vita and it's why it only gets mediocre 3rd party games. Vita has never gotten a huge third party game.

The problem is that those huge third party franchises were better suited elsewhere (3DS and home consoles).

We can say that third party games have sold pretty much as expected for the most part, some a bit higher and some a bit lower, but no shocking performances except Minecraft (good) and maybe Phantasy Star Nova (bad).

Pretty much as expected... Given the dreadful installed base. For example, I was expecting a bit more than 220k units for Project Diva f; and more from Hot Shot Golf and Soul Sacrifice.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Why do you think that is. Not every million seller on the 3DS started off as a million selling franchise, neither did MH on the PSP, publishers don't see the potential for million selling IP's on the Vita and all evidence points to that. Minecraft is a massive franchise by the way.

You also don't take into account that due to the Vita's bigger library, people have more choices so sales are more spread out between games. With Wii U, games come out once like every 3-4 months so owners are hungry for new games.

This surely helped Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta 2, Kirby...

Zhao_Yun

Lmao is this a complete list? I see some qualifiers on the site but seems like even sub 5k games are accounted for.

If Wii U's library in Japan is around 30 games, then jesus that's pathetic.

Some games are definitely missing like Bayonetta 2 or Wonderful 101.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius

There is a reason Wii U gets zero third party support and Vita zero third party huge games.

Spiegel

There is a reason Wii U gets zero third party support and Vita zero third party huge games.

I know and I'm not saying Vita should have gotten huge third party games. I was trying to address that point on the next part of my initial post.

At the end of its run Vita hardware sales will be remembered as mediocre. So it's no surprise that it mostly got games with mediocre sales potential. But I don't subscribe to the original argument that big games would have bombed and that's why Vita didn't get any. There just are better and safer places to put these games.

Y'all went in on that post lol.

Not that any of you are wrong for doing it, of course. Both of those lists for Vita and Wii U are "eek" in different ways. They are not bad in another way as well considering the situation both are in.

No need to just hop on one of them....

Darius

Banned
Translation: The only thing that sells on a Nintendo hardware is Nintendo software.

I must have been imagining things as I´ve seen Youkai Watch and Monster Hunter among other 3rd party games succeding on a Nintendo system in the Japanese market. Actually for at least the past 10 years, especially when it comes to Level5 IPs.

Celine

You also don't take into account that due to the Vita's bigger library, people have more choices so sales are more spread out between games. With Wii U, games come out once like every 3-4 months so owners are hungry for new games.
Splatoon doesn't keep selling well week after week because WiiU owner are hungry, it does because it looks fun to play and is enticing to many potential buyers.
Few game releases help visibility but if a game isn't enticing then it won't sell that well regardless.

This statement must belong on other universe lol. When Wii,DS, and 3DS have proven how wrong this statement was lol.^_^
First party software sell a good chunk of the overall total software sales on Nintendo systems (usually > 30%) , even on Wii or DS.
That's a fact.
This obviously doesn't mean third-party games can't find big success on Nintendo systems (for example: Just Dance or Yokai Watch).

IdvlQnE.jpg

that chart is not completed yet, dude :)
Japan-gamescharts is live again !?

mao2

I must have been imagining things as I´ve seen Youkai Watch and Monster Hunter among other 3rd party games succeding on a Nintendo system in the Japanese market. Actually for at least the past 10 years, especially when it comes to Level5 IPs.
This statement must belong on other universe lol. When Wii,DS, and 3DS have proven how wrong this statement was lol.^_^
LOL relax. That was actually one of the topics in Iwata's presentation during Nintendo Conference 2010.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/conference2010/presentation/textJ/08.html

I just used that image to tease Sammy Samusu because if you look at the list he posted, the only titles that actually sold really well are by Nintendo.

Well I'm aware of that, but even taking that into account to have a 100% difference between two trackers is still something we don't see very often (or at all).

Having it happen for two "games" the same week is a bit strange, coupled with the fact both are in fact anime releases, I just wondered if in this particular domain (anime/game hybrid) there's one tracker better than the other or they're just all inaccurate in their estimations. (because the kind of customer they are targetting probably don't buy their products at the same place the random "gamer" does)

Perhaps Dengeki sample (and Famitsu to a lesser extent) under-represent stores where games are not typically sold, but they carry anime tie-ins and in particular these multimedia products.

Memento

New Releases First Day Sell-Through {2016.02.04}

[PS4] Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 <FTG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥7.600) - 60%

I was just watching some more gameplay and I think I may bite. I haven't played it since NUNS2.

Thanks! I dont play the series since Generations! I think I will bite too!

HGH

Banned
I dunno where else to mention this but wow, 2015 seemed like Sega's most massive failure yet.

Uze0zAG.png

Anyone know what these titles were?

&#19977;&#22269; (sangoku) Three Kingdoms - based on China
&#25126;&#22269; (sengoku) Civil wars - based on feudal Japan

Thanks Hiska! I'm guessing they're similar gameplay styles then?

Also, in other news:

[PSV] Attack on Titan (Normal Edition) - 17pt

Finally one version shows up. With only 12 days left, though...

Japan-gamescharts is live again !?

yes, but everything is as it was in 2010, don't know if I can update old charts

the real thing I'd like to do is complete PS1 and Saturn chart but
1) still many weeks are missing
2) the multiplier for those weeks is unknown

LOL relax. That was actually one of the topics in Iwata's presentation during Nintendo Conference 2010.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/event/conference2010/presentation/textJ/08.html

I just used that image to tease Sammy Samusu because if you look at the list he posted, the only titles that actually sold really well are by Nintendo.

the Wii U chart is NOT YET completed, can we stop this pathetic discussion started by sammy please ?
why nowadays sales-age discussions are just a never-ending console war ? my god...

Honestly the anime already covered the most interesting part of the manga, everything afterwards is a meandering mess, and I can't imagine the movie helped

Latest manga volume has sold about 1.8 million units and it was released after the movie. Series is as popular as it has been since it hit mainstream (doing 1.7 - 2 million per volume).

the Wii U chart is NOT YET completed, can we stop this pathetic discussion started by sammy please ?
why nowadays sales-age discussions are just a never-ending console war ? my god...
I don't think that it would drastically change even if it was completed but I do echo your last sentiment. Media Create threads make me eyeroll on a consistent basis.

I don't think that it would drastically change even if it was completed but I do echo your last sentiment. Media Create threads make me eyeroll on a consistent basis.

yes of course, but at least it would be interesting to see how many titles charted, in the same way it's showed in Vita charts

I just resumed the site to provide a clear indication about sales among ALL platforms, not to make system wars when it's obvious that games published on 20-30mln systems perform better than on <10mln or <5mln systems, even a 7 y.o. children can understand that...

Kid Ying

The site is incomplete, but its a work in progress i guess. Chris database and geimin got a lot of info for people that want to see.

But yeah. Wiiu dont have many 3rd party best sellers, but even the ones he have are not on that list. Of course its more because there are not much games to brgin with. Some games that never released might've done well, but we will never know. As it goes, i believe the only 3rd titles to surpass 100k are monster hunter 3g, taiko 1, dragon quest x, expansion 1 and 2, minecraft and maybe taiko 2 already got there and that's it. Of all of those, only monhan (and maybe minecraft) passed 200k. Its not a good look, but on the flip side, its not like there are bigger games in the system that are not there on that list. With the exception of taiko 3, and maybe youkai dance, which flopped hard and everyone was expecting better.

Mory Dunz

The site is incomplete, but its a work in progress i guess. Chris database and geimin got a lot of info for people that want to see.

But yeah. Wiiu dont have many 3rd party best sellers, but even the ones he have are not on that list. Of course its more because there are not much games to brgin with. Some games that never released might've done well, but we will never know. As it goes, i believe the only 3rd titles to surpass 100k are monster hunter 3g, taiko 1, dragon quest x, expansion 1 and 2, minecraft and maybe taiko 2 already got there and that's it. Of all of those, only monhan (and maybe minecraft) passed 200k. Its not a good look, but on the flip side, its not like there are bigger games in the system that are not there on that list. With the exception of taiko 3, and maybe youkai dance, which flopped hard and everyone was expecting better.

Did Lego City get to 100k? I forget.

Arzehn

Thanks Hiska! I'm guessing they're similar gameplay styles then?

Also, in other news:

[PSV] Attack on Titan (Normal Edition) - 17pt

Finally one version shows up. With only 12 days left, though...

I mean, technically it's possible they all currently have 17pts

17pts * 6 skus = 102pts

:O

It's gonna bomb.

Pachael

I dunno where else to mention this but wow, 2015 seemed like Sega's most massive failure yet.

Uze0zAG.png

Anyone know what these titles were?

It's for Sega Networks, their mobile focused branch.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2016/20151218_sgn_presentation_e.pdf

No idea on what the titles are, but the increased competition, delays in development and localisation (lol) and failure of marketing/quality (eg. Sonic Runners) have contributed in the branch massively missing its forecasts. They'll need to focus more on their core titles (lol) next year and get the development/localisation done a tad quicker

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's for Sega Networks, their mobile focused branch.

https://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/ir/library/pdf/settlement/2016/20151218_sgn_presentation_e.pdf

No idea on what the titles are, but the increased competition, delays in development and localisation (lol) and failure of marketing/quality (eg. Sonic Runners) have contributed in the branch massively missing its forecasts. They'll need to focus more on their core titles (lol) next year and get the development/localisation done a tad quicker

The World End Eclipse was one of the failures.

War Pirates and Monster Gear were the successes.

Not sure what the other failure was since they released a few games during that period.

Edit:

It looks like Chaos Dragon was the other failure since they list Yumerio Cast as a success.

1454818710-sega-mobile-2.png

The World End Eclipse was one of the failures.

War Pirates and Monster Gear were the successes.

Not sure what the other failure was since they released a few games during that period.

Edit:

It looks like Chaos Dragon was the other failure since they list Yumerio Cast as a success.

1454818710-sega-mobile-2.png

WOW, Sonic Runners is NOT doing so good there. o_O

Though that's $300k a month right? Not the worst, but still, you'd think it'd so a lot better.

Top Bottom