• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 40, 2012 (Oct 01 - Oct 07)

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
That was the exact idea early during this gen. The "or wither and die" meme is not new.

You can't engage the Japan unwilling. The test results came back and none of the early Japanese Xbox 360 support ended up being worth it for anyone involved.
I'm too new to GAF as a whole to recognize that meme, but as far as I recall early during this gen it wasn't quite as common for the 360 version to be overseas-exclusive. Now we're seeing releases like MGR and Dark Souls where publishers don't even think it's worth bothering, and Shounen Anime Lost Planet being PS3DS only.

As for "the Japan unwilling", I think Mandoric's post cuts a lot closer to the heart of the problem. Though there'll always be developers who don't get along with Sony or Nintendo, and I think MS Japan will just kinda be there waiting in the background doing goodwill niche releases. They were the ones who talked Cave into doing a Saidaioujou port and all...

Expect triple A game don't japanese games sale better on PS3 than 360 even in America ?
For the most part, AAA games are the type I'm talking about—the ones where worldwide sales are assumed from the beginning and often necessary in order to recoup costs. Even if Japanese titles do tend to sell better on PS3 worldwide (not that I don't believe you, but citation needed) obviously the number of 360-only users is too large to ignore when a western release is considered. Look at Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls.

Kazerei

Banned
Wii : 6 weeks
3DS : 13 weeks
DS : 4 weeks
GBA : 3 weeks
PS2 : 5 weeks
PSP : 14 weeks [edit]
GCN : 17 weeks
X360: 176 weeks

PSV : 43 weeks

data coming from garaph. when mediacreate data was not found famitsu data was used.

Considering PSV launched during the holidays, that's pretty bad.

MrT-Tar

I've been quite busy today, so this is the first I've seen of this week's numbers and RE6 shattered all my expectations (in regard to sales, rather than quality).

The thing with the time taken to reach a million is that it doesn't show launch numbers. As has been discussed previously the vita actually had really good launch numbers. So whilst it's time to reach 1 million is really bad, it still makes the system look healthier than it is (either way is still bad).

Japanese games are still very popular in continental Europe, especially in France,how do you conquer Europe without Japanese games ?

There are some Japanese games that are popular in Europe but they aren't even close to the most important games. MS already made great strides there this gen despite putting no priority on the market at all.

Also if a Japanese game is really popular in Europe or NA it is almost certainly going to come to MS's console anyway.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Really am looking forward to the next update as want to see how Bravely Default does. Crossing my finger for good sales as that is the kind of IPs SQEX should be pushing instead of the mess that the FF brand has become.

Got the game and am enjoying it greatly.

Also how the Project X Zone game does.

ohlawd

So I think this means I fudged up my RE6 predictions >_>

Yay Style Savvy, 100k!

So are we out of big Vita weeks for the rest of the year now? We're back to sub 10k levels already. I thought last week was pretty good in terms of Vita releases...

Kazerei

Banned
So I think this means I fudged up my RE6 predictions >_>

Yay Style Savvy, 100k!

So are we out of big Vita weeks for the rest of the year now? We're back to sub 10k levels already. I thought last week was pretty good in terms of Vita releases...

I think there's two more major Vita releases left this year

(10/18) The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution
(12/20) AKB1/149 Renai Sousenkyo

Really am looking forward to the next update as want to see how Bravely Default does. Crossing my finger for good sales as that is the kind of IPs SQEX should be pushing instead of the mess that the FF brand has become.

Got the game and am enjoying it greatly.

Also how the Project X Zone game does.

100,000 max for BD's first week, imho.

Jealous of you though - have to wait until after work to get it. :S

jrDev

I posted this in one of the RE6 threads last week and I'm glad it's being borne out:

RE6 is a great game with a really deep combat system, so I'm glad to see it's getting some recognition (albeit not in its reviews). It's the kind of game that seems inaccessible at first, but once you spend more time with it you realize how much fun it is to play. I'll be interested to see how it does in the West, where reviews were generally much less favorable. It will show us whether review scores really have that much of an impact on the sales of large franchises.
I'm pretty sure if people already bought it and figured it was crap, Capcom already got there money. All the people on GAF that are crying hate for the game who played already contributed to its sales; no turning back. It's legs is what everyone should look out for...

Comparisons (Famitsu)

4th Week

[PSP] Ys Seven (Nihon Falcom) - 10.286 / 53.102
[PSV] Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) {2012.09.27} (¥7.140) - 4.099 / 42.905

I said fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Hope they produce a port or it went heavier in digital/mail-order than usual or something, 'cause that's got to be a disaster otherwise, especially in the face of the Trails series producing consistent 200k+ results at this point.

I said fuuuuuuuuuuuuck. Hope they produce a port or it went heavier in digital/mail-order than usual or something, 'cause that's got to be a disaster otherwise, especially in the face of the Trails series producing consistent 200k+ results at this point.
They should consider porting it to the 3DS.

duckroll

If I were Falcom, I honestly wouldn't waste my time making Ys games anymore. Just focus on more Kiseki titles, since that's all the market really wants anyway. If they want to make action RPGs, the Kiseki brand has shown to be strong enough for that too. Why continue losing money on a brand which hows no real value other than nostalgia.

Sorry Ys fans!

magash

If I were Falcom, I honestly wouldn't waste my time making Ys games anymore. Just focus on more Kiseki titles, since that's all the market really wants anyway. If they want to make action RPGs, the Kiseki brand has shown to be strong enough for that too. Why continue losing money on a brand which hows no real value other than nostalgia.

Sorry Ys fans!

I get what you are saying but I think Falcom should at least try to sell Ys on other platforms (not just PC and Sony platforms). They should at the least try to introduce new gamers to the Ys games. I know I would really miss Ys if Falcom stops making the game.

Yeshua

For the most part, AAA games are the type I'm talking about—the ones where worldwide sales are assumed from the beginning and often necessary in order to recoup costs. Even if Japanese titles do tend to sell better on PS3 worldwide (not that I don't believe you, but citation needed) obviously the number of 360-only users is too large to ignore when a western release is considered. Look at Demon's Souls vs. Dark Souls.

AAA games being Japanese or Westerner are, for most of them, multi since the start of this gen, they don't give advantage to one system or the other.
As far as Japnnese game selling better on PS3 than 360 it's jsut an impression I have but impression can be misleaded hence why it was a question instead of a statement however you are implying Dark Souls did significantly better than Demon's Souls thanks to a 360 version, since it's an statement I guess you have evidence of it.

There are some Japanese games that are popular in Europe but they aren't even close to the most important games. MS already made great strides there this gen despite putting no priority on the market at all.

Also if a Japanese game is really popular in Europe or NA it is almost certainly going to come to MS's console anyway.
Tales of Graces f and One Piece PW did fairly well in France (both of them charted in top5) and I'm ready to bet they won't never be ported on 360!

Fisico

Tales of Graces f and One Piece PW did fairly well in France (both of them charted in top5) and I'm ready to bet they won't never be ported on 360!

Yo Yeshua :p

It's hard to say if figuring in the Top 5 is relevant or not, both of them where released at a time where there weren't any release at all, most especially for Graces F which indeed charted 3rd in its first week, but behind Sleeping Dogs PS3 which was in its 3rd week.

To make it simple we need numbers, top 5 is not enough.

gconsole

I'm pretty sure if people already bought it and figured it was crap, Capcom already got there money. All the people on GAF that are crying hate for the game who played already contributed to its sales; no turning back. It's legs is what everyone should look out for...

Hmm. Im afrid many of them dont even buy or play it yet. Go check review thread and you will see many people talk about something they only read from review and reason why they shouldnt waste the money.

This game is not the game of the year but its worth the money dude. Dont know whats wrong with people want RE6 to tank so bad. Besides the reason that its not survival horror enough stupid shit.

duckroll

I get what you are saying but I think Falcom should at least try to sell Ys on other platforms (not just PC and Sony platforms). They should at the least try to introduce new gamers to the Ys games. I know I would really miss Ys if Falcom stops making the game.

Every second of manpower wasted on a Ys game is time they could have put towards yet another Kiseki release.

The thing with the time taken to reach a million is that it doesn't show launch numbers. As has been discussed previously the vita actually had really good launch numbers. So whilst it's time to reach 1 million is really bad, it still makes the system look healthier than it is (either way is still bad).

Not really true. Europe got bigger price cuts than US regarding X360. If I remember right in the past Arcade was 179€ when in US it was 199$ and Pro was 249€ when in US it was 299$. With Slim they raised the price of basic model to same as US but 250gb model is still 249€ compared to 299$. Sony and Nintendo have always used direct $=€ conversion.

Vinnk

Sorry guys. Been really busy but I will have a report for this week. Just need to get to a computer to type it up.

So that is what is stopping MS from succeeding in Europe? Missing out on 2 games that charted in the top 5 in one region once. Sure it's nice to have those games but they really mean nothing in terms of MS succeeding in Europe.

Not really true. Europe got bigger price cuts than US regarding X360. If I remember right in the past Arcade was 179€ when in US it was 199$ and Pro was 249€ when in US it was 299$. With Slim they raised the price of basic model to same as US but 250gb model is still 249€ compared to 299$. Sony and Nintendo have always used direct $=€ conversion.

I don't consider cutting the price of a console as the same as putting a lot of effort into a region. They need to target Europe aggresively like they did Japan this gen.

This is kinda off topic anyway though.

extralite

Every second of manpower wasted on a Ys game is time they could have put towards yet another Kiseki release.

From Wikipedia:
(2010.04.22) Ys: The Oath in Felghana (PSP)
(2010.07.29) Ys vs. Sora no Kiseki: Alternative Saga (PSP)
(2010.09.30) The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki (PSP)
(2011.09.29) The Legend of Heroes: Ao no Kiseki (PSP)
(2012.07.26) Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP)
(2012.09.27) Ys: Foliage Ocean in Celceta (PlayStation Vita)
Looks like both franchises have been getting yearly releases for the last three years, Ys missing 2011 though. So Kiseki already gets more releases. This year saw a new Ys release and yet the latest Kiseki game was released less than a year after the predecessor, cutting down on development time.

Focussing on Kiseki only, what would that achieve? Release a new one every half year? Wouldn't that dilute or saturate the brand? Why not have two (almost) yearly franchises with one being stronger and staying that way? Two franchises sell more than one, focussing on one franchise only will leave you wanting if the one left starts to decline also.

If anything, the Ys resources should go into something completely new.

duckroll

From Wikipedia:

Looks like both franchises have been getting yearly releases for the last three years, Ys missing 2011 though. So Kiseki already gets more releases. This year saw a new Ys release and yet the latest Kiseki game was released less than a year after the predecessor, cutting down on development time.

Focussing on Kiseki only, what would that achieve? Release a new one every half year? Wouldn't that dilute or saturate the brand? Why not have two (almost) yearly franchises with one being stronger and staying that way? Two franchises sell more than one, focussing on one franchise only will leave you wanting if the one left starts to decline also.

If anything, the Ys resources should go into something completely new.

Oath in Felghana is a port. They are out of Ys games to port. The last Ys game before Celceta is Ys7 in 2009. Nayuta is an action RPG Kiseki spinoff which has outsold the latest new Ys game. It's time to retire Ys, and make Nayuta sequels along with main Kiseki games. No point making two action RPG series when one sells more than the other.

Even if they make something new, they should just stick the Kiseki brand name on it. More Kiseki spinoffs, more Kiseki drama CDs, more Kiseki anime. Kiseki Kiseki Kiseki Kiseki. Falcom fans don't want anything else. The sales speak for themselves! All new Falcom IPs bomb. All old Falcom IPs bomb. Ys underperforms more with each new title. Only Kiseki makes tons of money. KISEKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm SO interested in seeing how Project X Zone and especially Bravely Default do. Can't wait for the first impressions from the retailers.

mclem

It'll be interesting to see how quick Sony stops even mentioning Vita when the PS4 is revealed.

Next E3 and TGS will be very interesting. It's reasonable to assume that Sony's main focus is going to be talking PS4: Fine. But that doesn't leave much oxygen of publicity left for the Vita, and it's not yet at a stage where it's breathing unaided.

mclem

Oath in Felghana is a port. They are out of Ys games to port. The last Ys game before Celceta is Ys7 in 2009. Nayuta is an action RPG Kiseki spinoff which has outsold the latest new Ys game. It's time to retire Ys, and make Nayuta sequels along with main Kiseki games. No point making two action RPG series when one sells more than the other.

Even if they make something new, they should just stick the Kiseki brand name on it. More Kiseki spinoffs, more Kiseki drama CDs, more Kiseki anime. Kiseki Kiseki Kiseki Kiseki. Falcom fans don't want anything else. The sales speak for themselves! All new Falcom IPs bomb. All old Falcom IPs bomb. Ys underperforms more with each new title. Only Kiseki makes tons of money. KISEKI!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post reminds me somewhat of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBSG_-lP4_Y .

Next E3 and TGS will be very interesting. It's reasonable to assume that Sony's main focus is going to be talking PS4: Fine. But that doesn't leave much oxygen of publicity left for the Vita, and it's not yet at a stage where it's breathing unaided.

Vita had a lot of air available at this E3, and it still choked.

Mpl90

Why port Ys when they can port Kiseki instead?

Yo dawg I heard U rike Kiseki, so we put an old Kiseki game in a new Kiseki game so u play Kiseki in a Kiseki.
KISEEEEKIIIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!

XD

Mpl90

The next game will be called Kiseki no Kiseki: Kiseki Densetsu.

Oh yeah!
And the main characters will have these names: Kira, Ichigiro, Seline, Ekron, Kain, Is, so

Kira
Ichigiro
Seline
Ekron
Kain
Is

Kiseki in a Kiseki in a Kiseki! You can't beat that!

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases

{2012.10.17}

[360] Monster Hunter Frontier Online: Forward .5 Premium Package <ACT> (Capcom) (¥6.090)

{2012.10.18}

[PSV] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) (¥4.980)
[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution # <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥6.090)
[PSV] The Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution [Limited Edition] <RPG> (Nihon Falcom) (¥7.980)
[PSV] FIFA 13 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥5.980)

[PSP] Little Battlers eXperience W <RPG> (Level 5) (¥4.980)
[PSP] Shiren the Wanderer 4 Plus: God's Eye and the Demon's Navel <RPG> (Spike Chunsoft) (¥4.620)
[PSP] Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku Ni - Matsuri Hayashi to Taishitachi # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku Ni - Matsuri Hayashi to Taishitachi [Deluxe Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥10.290)
[PSP] Hakuouki: Yuugi Roku Ni - Matsuri Hayashi to Taishitachi - Twin Pack <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥9.240)
[PSP] FIFA 13 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥4.979)

[PS3] FIFA 13 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)

[360] Dance Central 3 <ACT> (Microsoft Game Studios) (¥5.880)
[360] FIFA 13 <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥7.665)

Top Bottom