• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 41, 2015 (Oct 05 - Oct 11)

L~A

It had legs and it managed to chart in the Top 20 for 10 weeks. It had a pretty good place in the leg-o-meter by L~A with an average of 13.4k sales per week.

It is hilarious how you are trying to label it as a disappointment even though it did really well relative to the platform it was released.

Actually 13.4 is the average rank, not sales. (But that's definitely something I should think of adding... not sure how I'd do that though. I really should learn more about excel and stuff, ha ha).

As comparison, here's the 3DS entry from last year:

Taiko no Tatsujin: Don to Katsu no Jikuu Daibouken (Bandai-Namco) 3DS 26/06/2014

Total:130
Number of weeks in Top 20: 13
Average rank: 10

That's for the full year, by the way.

So yeah, I really don't think V Version sold poorly, especially for a family-oriented game on a non-family-oriented platform.

Actually 13.4 is the average rank, not sales. (But that's definitely something I should think of adding... not sure how I'd do that though. I really should learn more about excel and stuff, ha ha).

As comparison, here's the 3DS entry from last year:

That's for the full year, by the way.

So yeah, I really don't think V Version sold poorly, especially for a family-oriented game on a non-family-oriented platform.
Thanks for the clarification :)

It should be interesting to see the result for Taiko Vita for a full year.

I think a major question on the other side of the spectrum is if we'll see the hunting games migrate to NX such as God Eater, Toukiden, and Phantasy Star.

It had legs and it managed to chart in the Top 20 for 10 weeks. It had a pretty good place in the leg-o-meter by L~A with an average of 13.4k sales per week.

It is hilarious how you are trying to label it as a disappointment even though it did really well relative to the platform it was released.

It's one of the worst-performing entries in the series so far - "relative to the platform" means nothing when PSV shown it can have medium-sized sellers especially in popular IPs.

Between this and a new entry coming out for WiiU, it looks like it's gonna be a weak year for Taiko.

That said, I can see why they did what they did (they can't keep pumping out two a year on 3DS and keep things going, no other platform is close to 3DS for strength for this franchise).

I think you're jumping the gun too. Judging by how past Taiko games sold, they can disappear from top 50 yet show up in the end of year top 1000 having sold a lot more than when we last saw them.

You cannot compare 2015 with previous years - software sales have been declining a lot and being out of the Top 50 means selling a really tiny amount of copies with respect to past years. Last known number is 88.133 (Famitsu) / 94.811 (Media Create) - it's struggling to sell 100k units (as the last Wii U Taiko game) and on par with the first PSP release - among the worst-selling entries in the series so far.

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;181995749 said:
lol. Sure helped Toukiden didn't it?

Actually given MH4U sold/shipped a million in the west, how many 3rd party Japanese games have managed that same milestone on PS4? Is it just MGSV? DBZ maybe?
Probably just those two that you mention. DBZ is also on 4 other platforms, but the majority might be PS4 though (it was at 1.5 million copies shipped worldwide total in mid of March 2015).

I'm not sure if there are many other japanese 3rd party franchises that are big enough for 1 million copies shipped expectancy in the west. Resident Evil and Dark Souls are the only ones i can think of from the top of my head.

Vena

Uhh, what? Unless cross gen means something different than it used to, isn't PS4/NX the very definition of cross gen. Y'know, across generations.

Nah. Handhelds are totally screwy to me, and they come out mid-gen so they are "current gen". The PS4 and NX would be current gen.

sörine

Banned
Probably just those two that you mention. DBZ is also on 4 other platforms, but the majority might be PS4 though (it was at 1.5 million copies shipped worldwide total in mid of March 2015).

I'm not sure if there are many other japanese 3rd party franchises that are big enough for 1 million copies shipped expectancy in the west. Resident Evil and Dark Souls are the only ones i can think of from the top of my head.
I'd say both FF and KH should for sure. DQ did a million on PS2 and DS, if DQXI's PS4 only the west we should expect a million as well.

Other than that, maybe Tekken? DMC (if it happens)? Maybe Sonic given Wii U's US/UK weakness?

test_account

XP-39C²
sörine;182000150 said:
I'd say both FF and KH should for sure. DQ did a million on PS2 and DS, if DQXI's PS4 only the west we should expect a million as well.

Other than that, maybe Tekken? DMC (if it happens)?
Oh, right, not sure how i forgot about Final Fantasy, lol. I did think of Dragon Quest, but forgot about DQ11. That has potential, i agree, same with KH3. No idea about Tekken or DMC. They used to be very popular at least, so maybe =)

EDIT: Any numbers on how much the more recenty Sonic games did?

Spiegel

It's one of the worst-performing entries in the series so far - "relative to the platform" means nothing when PSV shown it can have medium-sized sellers especially in popular IPs.

You cannot compare 2015 with previous years - software sales have been declining a lot and being out of the Top 50 means selling a really tiny amount of copies with respect to past years. Last known number is 88.133 (Famitsu) / 94.811 (Media Create) - it's struggling to sell 100k units (as the last Wii U Taiko game) and on par with the first PSP release - among the worst-selling entries in the series so far.

How many systems had another Taiko game announced a week after its release with a more fitting style, probably, considering the target audience of the system?
Not like I have any idea of how well or bad Taiko Idolmaster is going to do on Vita but having another one getting released in less than 2 months ( or 5 months after the first one) might have an effect on the performance of the first Taiko.

And it's not like Vita is living off Minecraft and barely anything else at this point. It shouldn't be a surprise if games start performing badly...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
How many systems had another Taiko game announced a week after its release with a more fitting style, probably, considering the target audience of the system?
Not like I have any idea of how well or bad Taiko Idolmaster is going to do on Vita but having another one getting released in less than 2 months ( or 5 months after the first one) might have an effect on the performance of the first Taiko.

And it's not like Vita is living off Minecraft and barely anything else at this point and it shouldn't be a surprise if games start performing badly...

Agree with Spiegel. It might have been more interesting if Taiko was released for Vita before last year's TGS or something, before Sony essentially dropped support for the Vita. It's done ok all things considered, and it'll probably pop back up for the holidays when Minecraft likely will get a boost as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
On the Monster Hunter note, three weeks in on the iOS release, I'm feeling pretty bullish about this at least being a second tier hit, and by far Capcom's most successful mobile game.

mhexploreizy8z.png

This one is heading overseas as well judging by trademarks, but I'd be notably more bearish there given how Japanese mobile games do in the West.

Capcom's goals for this fiscal year (ending March 2016) would be as follows:

capcomgoals38s6n.png

Item 1 looks very believable. Shipments are generally at least ~200K higher than sales for titles of this volume, and Monster Hunter has a lot of months on the market to do it. Street Fighter not shipping 2 million copies would be a disaster.

Item 2 I can't really speak to all that much without seeing their full digital line-up and their current tracking rate, but making $75 million in digital download revenue in a year is very tame.

Item 3, given it's very vaguely defined, is like to be within their expectations.

Item 4, I have no idea about their Pachinko business.

horuhe

It seems that there have been some restock for Famista.

7th Dragon also seems to been selling well on Rakuten and at HMV stores. Splatoon holding it, also.

Ōkami

Reading one of the blogs, they're talking about the NX rumors there too, funny how one of the comments mention that it shouldn't be taken too seriously, especially with the rumors of the 3DS being PS3 levels of power early on.

On another post he also mentions the Mario Kart 8/Splatoon bundle that's hitting Europe in a couple of weeks, he and most of the commenters agree that it could be a very big deal over there, some say that they would even consider importing if the WiiU wasn't region locked.

The title of that blog post was total bait too.

On the Monster Hunter note, three weeks in on the iOS release, I'm feeling pretty bullish about this at least being a second tier hit, and by far Capcom's most successful mobile game.
Good to know. Hopefully they spend this money smartly instead of blindly chasing mobile, because it is a hit or miss market.

Darius

Banned
Nah. Handhelds are totally screwy to me, and they come out mid-gen so they are "current gen". The PS4 and NX would be current gen.

Do you consider Saturn(94) and Dreamcast(98) to be part of the same gen as well? NX will be pretty much the next gen systems of either form factor be it handheld or console.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Good to know. Hopefully they spend this money smartly instead of blindly chasing mobile, because it is a hit or miss market.
They're hiring 1000 staff over 10 years overwhelmingly to focus on mobile and PC online since their existing staff generally understands console.

And mobile has been going super well for Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco the last couple of years, and generally well for Konami, so they're the odd duck out.

They're hiring 1000 staff over 10 years overwhelmingly to focus on mobile and PC online since their existing staff generally understands console.

And mobile has been going super well for Square Enix, Sega, and Bandai Namco the last couple of years, and generally well for Konami, so they're the odd duck out.

Koei Tecmo and Level-5 have been struggling on mobile as well, and they're pretty big publishers in Japan; Capcom is not alone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I was thinking total staff size, but yes, you could extend that to every smaller publisher that isn't Marvelous or Gung-Ho and isn't a mobile first company.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think Marvelous are doing well right? Aren't they one of the publishers of a popular game, the name escapes me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Logres does super well and their Disney town building game does pretty well.

It's worth noting that the L in Marvelous AQL was a mobile company.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
The franchise doesn't have a lot of songs to pull from yet. They possibly could have waited a year or more for more material, but they might miss their chance to cash in at that point.

I know the show itself might not have 10 songs, but wouldn't there at least be some BG music to pull from the games or something?

I know the show itself might not have 10 songs, but wouldn't there at least be some BG music to pull from the games or something?

the show has literally 10 songs ( 5 openings and 5 endings)

I'm more surprised it seems that they didn't use all the songs they had available (the two openings for Youkai Watch Busters and one song from Youaki Watch 2) that weren't used in the anime yet lol

horuhe

Rakuten Ranking Week 42, 2015

01. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VDF
02. [WiiU] Splatoon
03. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
04. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
05. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
06. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (New Price Edition)
07. [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
08. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
10. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team

Vena

Rakuten Ranking Week 42, 2015

01. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VDF
02. [WiiU] Splatoon
03. [WiiU] Super Mario Maker
04. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer
05. [3DS] Picross 3D 2
06. [PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (New Price Edition)
07. [3DS] Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon
08. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
09. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad
10. [3DS] Yo-Kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team

Nintendo saving Japan Rakuten.
Yes, this is a joke.

hiska-kun

Tsutaya's Ranking Week 42 2015

01./00. [3DS] 7th Dragon III Code: VFD <RPG> (Sega)
02./01. [PS3] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami)
03./06. [WIU] Super Mario Maker <ETC> (Nintendo)
04./03. [PSV] Tokyo Xanadu <RPG> (Nihon Falcom)
05./13. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo)
06./00. [PSV] Geki Jigen Tag: Blanc + Hyperdimension Neptunia Vs. Zombie Gundan <FTG> (Compile Heart)
07./04. [PS4] Winning Eleven 2016 <SPT> (Konami)
08./09. [3DS] Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon <RPG> (Nintendo)
09./11. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: White Dog Squad <ACT> (Level 5)
10./16. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition <ADV> (Mojang AB)
11./15. [3DS] Yo-kai Watch Busters: Red Cat Team <ACT> (Level 5)
12./14. [3DS] Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King <RPG> (Square Enix)
13./05. [PS4] Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment)
14./12. [PS4] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain <ADV> (Konami)
15./18. [3DS] Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer <ETC> (Nintendo)
16./17. [3DS] Chibi-Robo! Zip Lash <ACT> (Nintendo)
17./02. [PS4] FIFA 16 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)
18./10. [3DS] Picross 3D 2 <PZL> (Nintendo)
19./20. [PS3] Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain <ADV> (Konami)
20./08. [PS3] FIFA 16 <SPT> (Electronic Arts)

___

Remember that Tsutaya is Soccer biased

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
YSO predictions

Week 43, 2015 (Oct 19 - Oct 25)

01. [3DS] The Legend of Zelda: TriForce Heroes < 90k (average 70k)
02. [3DS] PriPara Mezase! Idol Grand Prix No.1! < 45k (average 35k)
03. [WIU] Super Mario Maker < 20k (average 17k)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not that good for Zelda...

yeah, I was expecting a low debut but that would be really low.
I don't know neither the reason: I tought that being on 3ds and multiplayer-centric would have helped it in Japan (in keeping decent sales even being a spinoff)

test_account

XP-39C²
Xanadu holding well in Tsutaya it seems. Never underestimate Falcom and Vita hehe ;)

When i see "Xanadu", i often think of Faxanadu for NES/Famicom. Would be cool to have seen a sequel for that game.

yeah, I was expecting a low debut but that would be really low.
I don't know neither the reason: I tought that being on 3ds and multiplayer-centric would have helped it in Japan (in keeping decent sales even being a spinoff)

Low marketing push (as written by some Japanese posters over here) + plenty of other Zelda games on the same system (Majora's Mask is only 8 months old) + multi doesn't exactly belong to Zelda (4 Swords Adventure didn't sell a lot either) so people buying Zelda are typically more interested in single-player adventure + fans of co-op gameplay have MHX in a few weeks.

There's not much else under holidays from Nintendo so it might sell thanks to word-of-mouth and marketing push but I'm not expecting anything extraordinary (250k at most).

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Low marketing push (as written by some Japanese posters over here) + plenty of other Zelda games on the same system (Majora's Mask is only 8 months old) + multi doesn't exactly belong to Zelda (4 Swords Adventure didn't sell a lot either) so people buying Zelda are typically more interested in single-player adventure + fans of co-op gameplay have MHX in a few weeks.

There's not much else under holidays from Nintendo so it might sell thanks to word-of-mouth and marketing push but I'm not expecting anything extraordinary (250k at most).

those are good reasoning, but I'd wonder why N pushed it so little. as you said, it's not that they have other big guns out there...plus, I agree with Zelda being perceived primarly as a single player game, so I wonder how they, that are the owners, weren't able to foresee this (as for Metroid Federation Force...)
Sometimes I really wonder how is in charge to greenlight projects and assign "mascottes/brands" to a gameplay concept...

sörine

Banned
Xanadu holding well in Tsutaya it seems. Never underestimate Falcom and Vita hehe ;)

When i see "Xanadu", i often think of Faxanadu for NES/Famicom. Would be cool to have seen a sequel for that game.
RIP Hudson. Back in the day you used to make better Falcom games than Falcom did. :(

Top Bottom