• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

So what you're saying is the psp has 4 million sellers?

It does and there's even two different ways to arrive at it.

By Game:
1. Monster Hunter Portable
2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
3. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
4. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

By SKU
1. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd
2. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G
3. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd G (PSP The Best)
4. Monster Hunter Portable 3rd

Rocksteady33

My bad. OoT still has potential to sell a million in Japan, by the platforms end.

I have a feeling it will crawl it's way there similar to the way Super Mario 64 DS did. However I don't think it will do much beyond that, unlike Super Mario 64 DS, which I believe was helped with the New Super Mario Bros. craze.

test_account

XP-39C²
Some of the million seller on the DS will never happen again(things like Love and Berries, or Tamagotchi games), I don't think the 3DS will get nearly as many.
Indeed. Also, those Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes are not going to be released again, and stuff like Brain Training is "dead". But as AdventureRacing mentioned, there is always possible for new stuff to make it. This is what happened with the DS afterall :)

Indeed. Also, those Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy remakes are not going to be released again, and stuff like Brain Training is "dead". But as AdventureRacing mentioned, there is always possible for new stuff to make it. This is what happened with the DS afterall :)

No but there may be other dragon quest or final fantasy remakes

test_account

XP-39C²
No but there may be other dragon quest or final fantasy remakes
FF7 remake?! :D It might be a possibility, but all the 2D stuff were already remade, so it is just 3D stuff left as far as i know. I'm not sure we will see full remakes of these, and if it happens, i'm pretty sure that it will be multiplatform this time around.

For DQ they're now also remaking the spinoffs. Maybe DQM 3D sells a million?

Alrus

FF7 remake?! :D It might be a possibility, but all the 2D stuff were already remade, so it is just 3D stuff left as far as i know. I'm not sure we will see full remakes of these, and if it happens, i'm pretty sure that it will be multiplatform this time around.

There's still Final Fantasy V and VI I guess.

What makes you think a DQ remake is unlikely this time around? If anything, based on DQ related announcements, there's more evidence that one is likely to happen than not.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think we could see some of the expanded audience games strike again (Style Savvy, Tomodachi, and new brands going into this direction, such as Girls' RPG from Level 5), but on 3DS we could see new good things done.
For example, crossovers. One of them is Layton v.s. AA.
I'd like to see "Super Monster Hunter Bros." : Nintendo charachters fighting Tigrex and co. with normal hunters, with all Nintendo worlds involved, with Mario, Link, DK, Zelda...all with armors and weapons that are added to their Smash Bros. moves.

...And the first trailer showing Captain Falcon executing a Falcon Punch to the scariest MH3's creature (I don't ever remember its name XD )

Alrus

Okay, probably. Next year and later also has Animal Crossing, Tomodachi Collection, Monster Hunter 4... any other potential million sellers? Seven total so far announced isn't bad at all.

Could Kingdom Hearts 3D make it? KH2 did and BBS came pretty close.

Resident Evil maybe? I think RE 5 came close or eventually crossed it after re-releases.

Well, some pretty huge hits could not be predicted at all (Brain Training, Nintendogs, but also Layton or Tamagotchi). Some of them derive from a peculiar phenomenon, such as Love&Berry, and yes, it will never been a new game from that franchise breaking the million but it will be surely something similar in the form, perhaps coming from the arcades and the like. Others are simply ideas at the right moment, such as Brain Training, which created a new genre as a matter of fact; this kind of games will be the most difficult to be reproduced, but usually it's Nintendo that starts. Then there are big production such as Square Enix or Level-5 or Capcom, and they will always exist. Dragon Quest VII, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (and Phoenix Wright may grow, who knows), Monster Hunter, and so on. Obviously what DS has done is practically impossible to replicate.

test_account

XP-39C²
For DQ they're now also remaking the spinoffs. Maybe DQM 3D sells a million?
Ah yes, i forgot about that one.

There's still Final Fantasy V and VI I guess.
My mistake, i mixed up DQ and FF. DQ 4, 5 and 6 got remakes, but not FF 5 and 6.

What makes you think a DQ remake is unlikely this time around? If anything, based on DQ related announcements, there's more evidence that one is likely to happen than not.
I'm not saying that it is 100% unlikely, but since 4, 5 and 6 was made for the DS, i doubt that we will see 3 new DQ remakes for the 3DS, especially that all will sell one million copies each.

Resident Evil maybe? I think RE 5 came close or eventually crossed it after re-releases.
It took 4 releases of RE5 to reach 1 million though. But i'm interested to see how RE:R will do regardless.

Well, some pretty huge hits could not be predicted at all (Brain Training, Nintendogs, but also Layton or Tamagotchi). Some of them derive from a peculiar phenomenon, such as Love&Berry, and yes, it will never been a new game from that franchise breaking the million but it will be surely something similar in the form, perhaps coming from the arcades and the like. Others are simply ideas at the right moment, such as Brain Training, which created a new genre as a matter of fact; this kind of games will be the most difficult to be reproduced, but usually it's Nintendo that starts. Then there are big production such as Square Enix or Level-5 or Capcom, and they will always exist. Dragon Quest VII, Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright (and Phoenix Wright may grow, who knows), Monster Hunter, and so on. Obviously what DS has done is practically impossible to replicate.
Exactly. Time changes indeed, stuff that were popular before (like Brain Training) are not necessarily that popular in these days. I was just mentioning that many of the million sellers on DS are games that wont get sequels, or the franchise has lost much popularity. It is fully possible to create new stuff that becomes very popular. Only time will show :)

test_account

XP-39C²
MOnsters, 7 and 8
Monsters is happening (i forgot about that), but i doubt 7 and 8. If they wont remake FF7 because of time issues, i'm not sure that DQ 7 or 8 are likely candidates. When i think about it, a port of DQ8 might not be 100% unlikely, but not a full remake. But who knows what system(s) that will get it. PS Vita and PS3 gets the FFX HD release.

Monsters is happening (i forgot about that), but i doubt 7 and 8. If they wont remake FF7 because of time issues, i'm not sure that DQ 7 or 8 are likely candidates. When i think about it, a port of DQ8 might not be 100% unlikely, but not a full remake. But who knows what system(s) that will get it. PS Vita and PS3 gets the FFX HD release.

Hasn't there been very strong rumours of a dq7 being announced very soon?

Truth101

Banned

A DQVII remake is extremely likely to happen on the 3DS.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
yeah, i think DQ7 has had strong rumours regarding it going to 3DS - don't see the problem there.

Would be nice to get the western version of DQ8 on -something-, i never finished it - but sank a good 35 hours into it.

Did the other remakes break 1m in Japan? i never looked

RE:R? On it's own in Japan? 1 million units on a nintendo handheld? No chance.

Alrus

I think unless the DQM remake does awful (which is unlikely), the DQ franchise is pretty clearly coming to the 3DS one way or another. A remake of VII has been rumored and a port of VIII isn't out of question.

The DQ and the FF franchise don't really follow each other anyway, so the Vita/PS3 FFX HD game doesn't really mean much.

Did the other remakes break 1m in Japan? i never looked
RE:R? On it's own in Japan? 1 million units on a nintendo handheld? No chance.

They did, all of them. (talking about the DQ ones btw, the Final Fantasy IV one didn't do nearly as well)

And I looked at the RE franchise sales, and yeah it might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it will be because of the platform.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, there's no way RE:R does 1 million in Japan. It's a bit out, but honestly I'd expect the game to top 300-500k max.

test_account

XP-39C²
Hasn't there been very strong rumours of a dq7 being announced very soon?
A DQVII remake is extremely likely to happen on the 3DS.
yeah, i think DQ7 has had strong rumours regarding it going to 3DS - don't see the problem there.
I think unless the DQM remake does awful (which is unlikely), the DQ franchise is pretty clearly coming to the 3DS one way or another. A remake of VII has been rumored and a port of VIII isn't out of question.
A DQ7 rumor for 3DS? That is news to me, interesting. It is a rumor, but still.

The DQ and the FF franchise don't really follow each other anyway, so the Vita/PS3 FFX HD game doesn't really mean much.
True that FF and DQ doesnt necessarily follow eachother. But the releases on the different platforms can be some indication regarding sales that Square Enix might take into concideration. I think that we will see more multiplatform titles around in this generation, but only time will tell.

Well the 3DS already has Slime Mori Mori 3 out and a DQM remake announced, I think that does set the ball rolling for a DQVII remake. Like with the DS, it's seems like they're watering the ground with these spinoffs, having said that though, nothing is set in stone.

Erethian

Creamsugar is the source of the rumour, who heard it from someone that told them about MH3G well before it was announced.

*Putting this here so we have more reason to have creamsugar drawn and quartered if the rumour never eventuates.

05hha0c.jpg

Dat Pacman

Road

I really don't know what is more disturbing:

- Nintendo fanboys finally being able to orgasm over the 3DS sales in Japan after having to hold it for 6 months
- Sony fanboys being so delusional about the Vita's future.

BurntPork

Banned

- Nintendo fanboys finally being able to orgasm over the 3DS sales in Japan after having to hold it for 6 months

A naked 300-pound bodybuilder nearly beating a couple to death is more disturbing.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well the 3DS already has Slime Mori Mori 3 out and a DQM remake announced, I think that does set the ball rolling for a DQVII remake. Like with the DS, it's seems like they're watering the ground with these spinoffs, having said that though, nothing is set in stone.
If a DQ7 remake comes, then that is probably almost guaranteed to do a million indeed. Mori 3 isnt even close, but DQM shall be interesting to watch =)

Creamsugar is the source of the rumour, who heard it from someone that told them about MH3G well before it was announced.

*Putting this here so we have more reason to have creamsugar drawn and quartered if the rumour never eventuates.
Only time will tell if the rumor is true, but still interesting :)

I'm a bit out of the loop on this, but how is Vita's feature going to be?

Erethian

Speaking of Vita, I figure we'll be getting shipment forecasts from retailer blogs in the next week or so.

Or I hope so.

Road

I'm a bit out of the loop on this, but how is Vita's feature going to be?
It's going to have a game that combines MH, Pokemon, DQ and FF into one, selling the same amount of all these franchises combined, becoming the most successful gaming console ever.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's going to have a game that combines MH, Pokemon, DQ and FF into one, selling the same amount of all these franchises combined, becoming the most successful gaming console ever.
That sounds like a huge game hehe. But who knows if there will be a new breakout hit on the Vita that sells like 3-4 million copies.

Spiegel

I haven't seen any overly optimistic opinion about the Vita in these threads lately. I must have missed those Sony fanboys.

The longer you hold on, the better it feels. First pop after a long hard six month wait must be a life-changing experience.

Also, leave the Vita fanboys alone. The prerelease and launch period might be the last time you ever see some of them in these threads.

Erethian

I haven't seen any overly optimistic opinion about the Vita in these threads lately. I must have missed those Sony fanboys.

See it less so in these threads, but there is a sentiment going around that a mega-sellar will magically appear on Vita to take Monster Hunter's place.

Which is as much a case of not realising how incredibly rare (like once a decade) massive breakout hits like that are in Japan, as it is fanboyism.

Alrus

See it less so in these threads, but there is a sentiment going around that a mega-sellar will magically appear on Vita to take Monster Hunter's place.

Which is as much a case of not realising how incredibly rare (like once a decade) massive breakout hits like that are in Japan, as it is fanboyism.

I like the people who are completely set on saying MH4 is coming to Vita anyway because "lolz it's capcom" better. It hasn't reached "DQ IX on psp" level of stupid but still.

In all honesty, the Vita doesn't need that kind of game to be a success. It would help greatly of course, but it can still do okay/fine without it. (But that's probably not enough for a fanboy...)

The issue with the Vita is that Sony doesn't have any franchise to really gets sales going if 3rd party support isn't there.

I've spoken about this in the past and I think that PSV doesn't need MH to succeed. As long as support doesn't just stop, it'll get it's share of successes, just like the Gamecube did. Without MH, other titles will fill that gap.

But yeah, as far as generating a breakout social phenomenon like MH or Pokemon out of the ether, that'll be a long wait for a train that isn't coming.

udivision

Isn't the only reason that MH games are such an issue is because they were the only games to sell more than a million units (at least in Japan) on the PSP? Throw in fanboyism on both sides and I can see why it's so ugly.

I've spoken about this in the past and I think that PSV doesn't need MH to succeed. As long as support doesn't just stop, it'll get it's share of successes, just like the Gamecube did. Without MH, other titles will fill that gap.

But yeah, as far as generating a breakout social phenomenon like MH or Pokemon out of the ether, that'll be a long wait for a train that isn't coming.

If the goal is to be as successful as the Gamecube, you need new goals. I remember 3rd parties left and right dropping their franchises from the gamecube while leaving them on X-Box/PS2. I never got my Burnout 3 on GCN :(

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Isn't the only reason that MH games are such an issue is because they were the only games to sell more than a million units (at least in Japan) on the PSP? Throw in fanboyism on both sides and I can see why it's so ugly.

I think anything going on regarding that side of fanboyism is based on just following figures and general "my team" flag waving, seems a lot of people are in the argument but haven't played the games that much.

MH on 3DS ultimately doesn't matter to me personally once we get over the 3rdG where the people i play with won't bother added that we've still got the final few ancients to take care of - which probably isn't going to be quite as quick as we think (plus a few multi-enemy quests to unlock)

MH4 - i'm expecting everyone to be rolling. Unless MH4th gets announced. Then we'll have a potential split of the franchise. Maybe the footage of MH4 being substantially different is a nod that the numbered mainline -is- going to significantly shake things up?

Takao

Banned

You can call me out by name. I don't bite.

I'd like to think my opinion on Vita is at least somewhat realistic. It's going to be a struggle, less so in Japan, but it'll be a struggle none the less. Compared to the 3DS, Vita's third party support is disgustingly poor. There's absolutely no guaranteed hardware pusher in there. Hell, the PSP has bigger titles lined up for 2012 than Vita does. Part of me naively believes there are wheels turning in the background that just haven't been announced. But then again, just 3 months ago, I witnessed Nintendo buy the 2 largest Japanese third party franchises. Vita's life won't be pretty. Heck, Vita might not even have much of a life. I'd rather just not see it go out without a fight, and right now it won't be a fight, it'll be a blood bath. That's why I have some delusional hope that if Vita just manages to survive long enough, that something will find a way. That's what happened to PSP in Japan, and thanks to Monster Hunter, a lot of great games were made due to the success it brought that platform. It may be crazy of me to hope for lightning to strike twice, but you know what, it's a new decade. Time for a new craze. :p

You can call me out by name. I don't bite.

I'd like to think my opinion on Vita is at least somewhat realistic. It's going to be a struggle, less so in Japan, but it'll be a struggle none the less. Compared to the 3DS, Vita's third party support is disgustingly poor. There's absolutely no guaranteed hardware pusher in there. Hell, the PSP has bigger titles lined up for 2012 than Vita does. Part of me naively believes there are wheels turning in the background that just haven't been announced. But then again, just 3 months ago, I witnessed Nintendo buy the 2 largest Japanese third party franchises. Vita's life won't be pretty. Heck, Vita might not even have much of a life. I'd rather just not see it go out without a fight, and right now it won't be a fight, it'll be a blood bath. That's why I have some delusional hope that if Vita just manages to survive long enough, that something will find a way. That's what happened to PSP in Japan, and thanks to Monster Hunter, a lot of great games were made due to the success it brought that platform. It may be crazy of me to hope for lightning to strike twice, but you know what, it's a new decade. Time for a new craze. :p

Well, as long as you admit that your optimism is somewhat irrational, there isn't too much to argue over.

Top Bottom