• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 47, 2011 (Nov 21 - Nov 27)

Boney

Banned
I still don't get the negativity with Vita. It'll continue to appeal to teenagers and early 20's guys just like every other playstation console before it.

KingDizzi

Banned
See it less so in these threads, but there is a sentiment going around that a mega-sellar will magically appear on Vita to take Monster Hunter's place.

Which is as much a case of not realising how incredibly rare (like once a decade) massive breakout hits like that are in Japan, as it is fanboyism.

Monster Hunter or no Monster Hunter, there will always be a 'next big thing'. Last gen MH exploded on PSP, this gen it could be a franchise yet to be announced or an existing one that is just going to blow up. It ALWAYS happens, simply always unless a console absolutely crashes and burns like the PS3 or Dreamcast.

Good to see 3DS going well, it crashing and burning worse than the hinderburg at a high price should hopefully make it clear to Nintendo that above all price matters for a system with or without the likes of Mario. So with that said fingers crossed Wii U is launched at a decent price.

You sir are the best thing to happen to Gaf in a long long time

Erethian

Monster Hunter or no Monster Hunter, there will always be a 'next big thing'. Last gen MH exploded on PSP, this gen it could be a franchise yet to be announced or an existing one that is just going to blow up. It ALWAYS happens, simply always unless a console absolutely crashes and burns like the PS3 or Dreamcast.

Good to see 3DS going well, it crashing and burning worse than the hinderburg at a high price should hopefully make it clear to Nintendo that above all price matters for a system with or without the likes of Mario. So with that said fingers crossed Wii U is launched at a decent price.

Taking an arbitrary figure of 2 million copies, which captures the notion of a mega-hit like MH well enough, the only two franchises to meet that benchmark on PS2 were Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

So no, a new breakout like MH doesn't happen every generation.

kswiston

Taking an arbitrary figure of 2 million copies, which captures the notion of a mega-hit like MH well enough, the only two franchises to meet that benchmark on PS2 were Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

So no, a new breakout like MH doesn't happen every generation.

Not to mention that Monster Hunter Portable 3 is the highest selling non-Nintendo game of all time. Even including Nintendo games it is pretty high up the list.

Erethian

Not to mention that Monster Hunter Portable 3 is the highest selling non-Nintendo game of all time. Even including Nintendo games it is pretty high up the list.

Yeah.

I should say that Nintendo kind of breaks this rule, at least on the DS. Mega sellers on GBA were all Pokemon.

But Nintendo is always the exception to the rule.

Gaborn

I still don't get the negativity with Vita. It'll continue to appeal to teenagers and early 20's guys just like every other playstation console before it.

It's not so much a negative it's just that the Vita is what it is. It's not really competing with the 3DS. Nothing it's doing is going to disrupt the status quo. Vita is treated as what it is, the default second place handheld system. I think in a lot of ways it's similar to a more successful game gear. I mean, I LOVED the game gear. It was a high end system in it's day and it DESTROYED the gameboy visually. But it was never going to come close to competing with the gameboy because it was a battery power hog. It wasn't really a PRACTICAL portable system like the gameboy was.

In the case of the Vita it is simply too expensive to compete with a mass market console, and the price of the memory cards is going to further slow it's growth in sales.

That does not mean it's going to be a bad system, in fact it should be an AWESOME system. It just means that the Vita is dooming itself to second place and so it's going to be treated with the level of respect the runner up gets. It will find it's audience but that's it.

Jonnyram

It's not so much a negative it's just that the Vita is what it is. It's not really competing with the 3DS. Nothing it's doing is going to disrupt the status quo. Vita is treated as what it is, the default second place handheld system. I think in a lot of ways it's similar to a more successful game gear. I mean, I LOVED the game gear. It was a high end system in it's day and it DESTROYED the gameboy visually. But it was never going to come close to competing with the gameboy because it was a battery power hog. It wasn't really a PRACTICAL portable system like the gameboy was.

In the case of the Vita it is simply too expensive to compete with a mass market console, and the price of the memory cards is going to further slow it's growth in sales.

That does not mean it's going to be a bad system, in fact it should be an AWESOME system. It just means that the Vita is dooming itself to second place and so it's going to be treated with the level of respect the runner up gets. It will find it's audience but that's it.
You know, pretty much everything you said in this post was applicable to the PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3. Sony knows the score. Specs don't sell systems, games do. And to get games, you need developer support. They fucked up the developer support with the PS3 big time, because it was way too hard to develop for at launch, and they lost some support on PSP due to piracy, but the Vita aims to avoid these two issues. Sony has tried to do everything the developers want, and the launch lineup reflects that.

Exactly. Time changes indeed, stuff that were popular before (like Brain Training) are not necessarily that popular in these days. I was just mentioning that many of the million sellers on DS are games that wont get sequels, or the franchise has lost much popularity. It is fully possible to create new stuff that becomes very popular. Only time will show :)

The fact that some DS million sellers won't get any sequel on 3DS should not prevent 3DS to still have a great number of million sellers. Ok, there are no Brain Training, but there is Monster Hunter now. And as Capcom started a new phenomenon on PSP, why not on 3DS? Pokémon, Mario and Animal Crossing are sure bet, then there will be also Super Smash Bros., maybe Donkey Kong Country, and Kirby has always been strong on handhelds. And so on.

Kenka

This thread has reached Gargantuan length.

Talking about creamsugar, where is he/she now ? Stopped posting on GAF ?
And the Vita discussion brings me to a disturbing point : where are all the game previews and reviews ?

This thread has reached Gargantuan length.

Talking about creamsugar, where is he/she now ? Stopped posting on GAF ?
And the Vita discussion brings me to a disturbing point : where are all the game previews and reviews ?

Reviewers couldn't afford to do Namco Bandai's games.

Acosta

I'm still with DCharlie on Monster Hunter, I will be surprised if it reaches one million by december. 800 K sounds reasonable taking on count what game are we talking about and even Capcom seem to think the same. Monster Hunter 4 is other story.

Vita discussion bores me to tears. Some months ago 3DS was dead in the water and Nintendo close to becoming third party. And now Vita is going to be so poorly sold that Sony should cancel the launch and focusing on the lucrative market of toasters.

Yawn Give it a year at least before burying it, then you may be able to do it with something solid under your feet.

Erethian

I'm still with DCharlie on Monster Hunter, I will be surprised if it reaches one million by december. 800 K sounds reasonable taking on count what game are we talking about and even Capcom seem to think the same. Monster Hunter 4 is other story.

Vita discussion bores me to tears. Some months ago 3DS was dead in the water and Nintendo close to becoming third party. And now Vita is going to be so poorly sold that Sony should cancel the launch and focusing on the lucrative market of toasters.

Yawn Give it a year at least before burying it, then you may be able to do it with something solid under your feet.

So what you're saying is Sony should give the Vita a 10,000 yen price cut 6 months after launch.

mutsu

If Vita follows the same trend of PSP, then it might be flat in the first few years but actually gain traction after that. So, what I want to say is, a year is nothing. Give it a few years at least.

I agree with this.
I mean, this kind of debates comes from one simple fact: people have short memory or, to say in a nicer way, the narrative fallacy, citing Taleb. People don't remember how the things worked in the past, and they tend to make long-term predictions on monthly sales, or even on weekly sales! This is wrong. We have seen that in very short periods things can heavily change, because of many factors probably invisible before or considered ininfluent (who could predict Monster Hunter phenomenon by seeing the sales of the first one on PSP?) or coming out from nowhere (3DS price cut), so just saying "Vita will be dead" (on the same vein as "3DS is dead" last summer) is not worthy of attention.

Vita DOES have problems. It lacks a strong offer from third parties, it has both an internal (PSP) and an external competitor and it costs; but we don't know all games software houses are preparing and multiplatform titles with PS3 might drive first year sales, along with some other titles (Minna no Golf, Dynasty Warriors). 3DS is on another level now, and I do think that such that advantage in term of sales is struggling, but let Vita come out before saying something. Obviously, if it starts to sell 10-15k per week with a 3DS outperforming by a wide margin, ideas will be clearer.

Laguna

Banned

DCcharlie expected it to sell 800k total and not by the end of Dedember. 800k by the end of December sounds a lot more reasonable and wouldn´t have caused this thread to explode.

Only in Sonys wet dreams 3DS was ever dead in the water.

mclem

Nice, good to know what happens when the king returns.

I expect this game to sell well until the next DS is released in 5 years.

As an aside...

Is this the *earliest* MK release relative to console release? I think most of them were about a year away, weren't they?

I've a nagging feeling Super Circuit and original Super Mario Kart were early, too, but that's going based on the EU release schedule.

mclem

I don't want to believe a product can sell purely on image. I'm well aware of the reality, I'm just in denial.

(Not that the Vita *is* pure image, but that's the foundation for your statement)

wazoo

If Vita follows the same trend of PSP, then it might be flat in the first few years but actually gain traction after that. So, what I want to say is, a year is nothing. Give it a few years at least.

To do that, it needs an instant multi million hit coming out of nowhere and not possible on the other handheld.

How likely it is ??

Acosta

To do that, it needs an instant multi million hit coming out of nowhere and not possible on the other handheld.

How likely it is ??

As likely as seeing a 300k PS2 franchise becoming a multimillionaire behemoth for the distant second handheld in Japan.

As an aside...

Is this the *earliest* MK release relative to console release? I think most of them were about a year away, weren't they?

I've a nagging feeling Super Circuit and original Super Mario Kart were early, too, but that's going based on the EU release schedule.

Super Circuit is the earliest (about 3 months after launch for Japan, 4 in the US and 5 in EU) Super Mario Kart was well over 1 year after launch in all territories (almost 2 in Japan)

Jonnyram

It was dead in the water until it got a 40% price cut and a holiday lineup of Mario, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter. Don't think many people would argue with that fact. In fact, without the price cut, they may have struggled to get the numbers they are doing this holiday.

Erethian

It was dead in the water until it got a 40% price cut and a holiday lineup of Mario, Mario Kart, Monster Hunter. Don't think many people would argue with that fact. In fact, without the price cut, they may have struggled to get the numbers they are doing this holiday.

Don't need to argue when even Iwata says the price cut was to avoid the 3DS ending up like the GameCube.

It missed expectations, but far from death.

Acosta

hahaha, that is false, don't manipulate. Diehard Nintendo fanboys were the first ones asking what the fuck was Nintendo doing.

electroplankton said:
It missed expectations, but far from death.

Yep, 40% pricecut in 6 months. Nintendo was not worried at all, just an small miscalculation.

mclem

Super Circuit is the earliest (about 3 months after launch for Japan, 4 in the US and 5 in EU) Super Mario Kart was well over 1 year after launch in all territories (almost 2 in Japan)

Yeah, it came out quite soon after I got the system, but I've since remembered that I didn't get the system at launch!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Give it a year at least before burying it, then you may be able to do it with something solid under your feet.

May you? I remember a handheld, incidently made by Sony, that would've been buried by many people a year after launch (more so 2 years after launch) and that is Japan's most successful old console in its eighth year on the market.

cvxfreak

Yup, 3DS was pretty screwed for awhile there. Obviously sales would be down without the price drop, but it makes you wonder how much the saying "it's all about the games" actually means.

Laguna

Banned

It had a good launch worldwide even breaking some records in Europe, it fell down a lot early but mostly due to not available systemsellers and the not exactly known for good time for videogamesales -> spring/summer, but it was more a matter of time than anything else in fact 3DS picked up to decent numbers again when OoT released.

Of course the pricedrop and the Monster Hunter announcement helped a lot to speed up the process to have this kind of big numbers again especially in Japan but Mario land and Mario Kart alone would have still pushed the system to do some good numbers (not that great like we are seeing today but good numbers nonetheless) to make those "3DS is dead in the water" comments ridiculous. Games in the Dragon Quest franchise among Kingdom Hearts and Resident Evil (were all already in the work and) would have still helped the system afterwards.

In the end it was mostly just hyperbole by the "gamingpress" the same press that called Wii a failure and fad from the very beginning and repeated this statements every year and of course mostly Sonyfans. In other words just bias.

Then why that drastic moves and pricedrop from Nintendo? While it was likely that games like Mario Kart would have pushed the 3DS again, 3rd parties thought it was a bit too risky and started to push back and delay their projects. They dropped the price to counter that 3rd party hesitation since it would have just made things unnecessarily complicated against their competition and on top of that helped them to secure Monster Hunter exclusivity.

Because obviously the pricedrop to 15k yen was one of the biggest impetus for Capcom to release the game already this year. Obviously this drastic move from Nintendo was taken with the longterm situation in mind and mostly to break Vitas sales potential early on and not because they feared to sell as disastrous as PS3. Apparently it had a great impact in how Vita potential is percepted in a negative way. Mission accomplished.

Road

Prediction
t1323262800z0.png

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 55,555
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 555,555
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 299,999

test_account

XP-39C²
The fact that some DS million sellers won't get any sequel on 3DS should not prevent 3DS to still have a great number of million sellers. Ok, there are no Brain Training, but there is Monster Hunter now. And as Capcom started a new phenomenon on PSP, why not on 3DS? Pokémon, Mario and Animal Crossing are sure bet, then there will be also Super Smash Bros., maybe Donkey Kong Country, and Kirby has always been strong on handhelds. And so on.
That is exactly what i said :) Many of the million sellers wont happen on 3DS because of various reasons, but that doesnt mean that it is possible to make new and popular stuff =)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 94,321
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 604,709
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 385,157

Street Fighter 2 and Dragon Quest V say hello
(and many others...)

sorry, i confused MH3 (Wii) with MHP3 (PSP)

Road

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201112/07006662.html

But at least it says 1) MK7 and 2) Extreme Vs. =P

Kenka

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 99,999
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 555,555
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 299,999

I like Road's approach.

[PS3] The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Bethesda Softworks) - 104,323
[3DS] Monster Hunter 3G (Capcom) - 497,324
[3DS] Hardware (Nintendo) - 342,232

t1323262800z0.png